Who is Operating Your Brain? - 11/9

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
rfreeborn
Private E-1

RE: Who is Operating Your Brain? - 11/9

Postby rfreeborn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Again?!
I can’t believe this. I can’t count how many times I’ve had to get maintenance up here to fix this stupid “Wakeup” button. Twenty-three times I pushed it today; that has to be some kind of record. Oh, that reminds me…

Note to self: Call maintenance again tomorrow. Controls on the right arm seem somewhat flimsy when holding the soap in the shower. Dropped four times today. Definitely not safe.

Despite the Wakeup button issue, the morning went pretty much as usual. No major occurrences during breakfast. I do sometimes forget about the whole potholder thing but thankfully we just had cereal today. I’m trying to cut back on the amount of bacon and greasy foods because operating this gigantic thing on the treadmill is getting harder and harder with each passing day. I sent another note down to digestion to see if they could help out a little by boosting the metabolism, but I think my notes must be getting lost somewhere along the way. Still no change.
That idiot made another comment about how sloppy my desk is at work again. I almost lost the speech control function on that one. It’s hard to operate the arm controls when they want to fly up and throttle some poor schmuck all by themselves and maintain the speech controls at the same time. I’ve only got two hands, y’know?
Despite the idiot, I do believe I’m becoming more adept at the daily grind. Like the saying goes, “That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased.” I think that was Emerson. Not really sure.

Note to self: Check the memory archives tomorrow for the preceding quote’s author.

Not that it’s necessary, but not remembering little things like that bugs me to no end. I get bugged by all those little things I try to do but always seem impossible to accomplish. Sort of like trying to control the driving function and the speaking function while using the right arm controls to hold the phone at the same time. It just doesn’t work out that well. I almost crashed the car again today reaching for the coffee while trying to do all of that at the same time. That reminds me…

Note to self: Know your limitations. Keep trying to do too much and pretty soon you’ll be out of a job!

I had a pretty hectic night. My counterpart wasn’t home tonight so I ended up having to do all the work in the kitchen. Burned the hand again. Potholders, I’ve GOT to start remembering potholders. I think I went kind of overboard on the dessert. That reminds me too…

Note to self: If you’re having cheesecake, no ice cream! And vice versa. At least not until your notes finally make it down to digestion.

Skipped the nightly workout since I had to spend so much time cleaning up the kitchen. That’ll probably make the controls a lot stiffer to operate again tomorrow. I did end up finishing the book I started about a month ago. Great ending but it drug through the middle a little bit. Will have to try something more exciting next time.
Anyhow, I’m getting tired. Looks like it’s time to call it a day. I just spent the last few minutes crawling into bed. Now I’ll hit the “Sleep” button. Fortunately, that one has never failed.

rosebud
Major

Re: Who is Operating Your Brain? - 11/9

Postby rosebud » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 pm

:) As a Star Trek fan, I loved your analogies. Good job!

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:38 pm

sorry, as a new user i guess i should have directed my message to jim-halisstrad, but i suppose you all knew who i was sending it to.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:40 pm

NOBODY. The room is empty. Electrical impulses, synaptic connections, vibrating blood vessels. But nobody's home.....not yet. It's 5 o'clock, two hours before wake-up time. Go back to sleep or wake-up and be productive? Of course the answer is to go back to sleep, but the consequences of a sleep hangover is regrettable.

Coffee brewing, the smell overwhelming. The urge to rise and enjoy the new rays of sunlight lead us on. Roll over and look at the clock. Too soon for the music. Roll over again.

Fast forward to up and ready to go. Glad I didn't eat too much and remembered to take all my vitamins. Hair set, make-up perfect. Suit or sweater??? Suit with thin sweater. No heat at work.

Drive, clock-in, sit and wait, and wait, and wait. Sales jobs suck sometimes, but thrive when done well.

Sit and wait, pace and wait. A customer arrives, no earphone, a prospect. Show and sell. Yeah! The day is on the move. Over and over, much of the same. A real brain drain.

Work day done, limited fun. Home time comes. Change clothes, eat, prepare for sleep.

The room is empty, electrical impulses, synaptic connections, vibrating blood vessels. The day is ending. Nobody's home.

Bradley St Paul
Private E-1

Postby Bradley St Paul » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:57 am

Squealing monstrosities raged against the wood door that separated the subconscious dreamscape from the conscious brain. Had the brain gnome not wedged a chair against the knob and braced its back against the door, it surely would have busted open. It was 4:58 am before the horrors settled down.

The gnome rubbed the bags under its eyes and sloshed through the thick slime of confusion and stress that coated every square inch of the cranial hovel. Tossing off its pointy hat, it sighed as the hat missed the rack and stuck to the slimy wall. It shimmied out of its hip waders and snuffed out the earwax candle. As tiny drops of slime dripped onto its forehead, it groaned and pulled the ratty quilt over its face.

The shrill beeping of an alarm clock made it sit straight up, hands balled into fists. The gnome sighed as the clock beeped its maniacal laugh. It was 5:00 am. Time to get ready for the gym.

Lighting another candle, it slipped on the hip waders and peeled its hat off the wall. It shuffled around the maze of wilted cardboard boxes containing 33 years worth of random trivia that would never be used in any sort of practical manner. The gnome couldn’t remember the last time it’d showered as it punched the autopilot #1 button, sending Brad through a series of preprogrammed activities while the gnome went about feeding the quinine pig that powered the operation.

The gnome leaned against an old stack of memories, its heavy eyelids fluttering shut for a moment. Suddenly, it snorted itself awake and ran to the control panel. Brad was on his second cycle of autopilot as everything was reset, leaving the human wondering why he was brushing his teeth again.

It was a silly thing anyhow, the gnome thought. The gnome did not want to work out; it wanted to go back to sleep, but the strict schedule of the soldier it was in charge of stood out on the corkboard in almost mocking fashion. The gnome sneered at it and snatched up a copy of the appointment list for the day and smeared it through the slime, then placed it neatly back in the brain’s day planner with a smile on its impish lips.

It was 9:00 am and the gnome was already exhausted. It was all it could do to get through the work out, get Brad breakfast and throw a uniform on him. The only upside to the Soldier thing was the fact that no thought went into what to wear for the day, a button labeled autopilot #2, then back to the sticky control panel to pull the levers and the twist knobs that demanded coffee.

The inspiration alarm went off at about 3:00 pm. Much to the gnome’s chagrin, Brad had found a couple of minutes to work on his manuscript and needed some top notch drivel. With ‘World’s Greatest Gnome’ coffee mug in hand, it shuffled in a daze to the dreamscape door where the beasties were snoring loudly, and banged on it until they were roaring again.

7:00 pm rolled around and the slime of confusion and stress was almost to the gnome’s knees. Apparently, the fun idea the gnome had with the day planner had backfired, thus causing the slime nodes to work overtime. The gnome had to ratchet its seat up to the highest level at the control panel, which was killing its wrists as it tried to get Brad through a witty conversation. Seeing the slime had reached the corner of the quilt on his formerly dry bed, it jumped down and kicked the slime, slipped, and splashed backward.

9:00 pm and the gnome was still picking slime out of its beard. Work needed to be done, but the restless dreamscape monsters were still roaring with inspiration, thus giving the gnome a headache and distracting it. The worst part was that the monsters would probably fall asleep again when Brad sat down to do some writing after business hours.

11:00 pm and Brad was staring at the ceiling, eyes slowly starting to shut. The screen on the panel registered sleep mode. The gnome plopped down on the bed and rubbed its eyes, but before it could even take its pointy hat off, the dreamscape door started to slam and crack as the nightmare shift started. With a sigh, it wedged the chair under the knob and braced its back against the door again.

eternoxamante
Private E-1

Postby eternoxamante » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:02 am

For the past couple of months, we’ve had this problem. Then again, there’s always some sort of problem up in this head; always over thinking, under thinking, stressing; we’ve had seven thousand people quit and had to fill seven thousand chairs since we switched companies from adolescence to adult. I don’t think the system was ready for it; she’s completely fried. We have little to no control over anything; her subconscious, the “Monster”, as we like to call it, has taken over all of our systems and everything that she does… everything that WE do is influenced by the Monster.

The Monster hold every bad memory, every worried moment, every time she’s been forgotten and left to her own devices, and it influences our workers to go against my command. The Monster holds her creativity, shoving the need for true knowledge down the drain and filling my workers with the petty ideas that her creative needs are more important than her intellectual ones. It’s complete and utter blasphemy, and she’s got no idea that it’s happening. The Monster makes her too sympathetic, too soft, too easily affected by the tributes and trials of the people around her, and it soaks them all in and forces her to feel them. Our emotions system is in complete shambles.

And to make matters worse, the Monster controls her Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It seems fitting, considering that all that the Monster does is cause disorder in our orderly system! Once every four or five years, it comes around and messes up everything that we’ve managed to fix from it’s last visit. And we can’t do anything when it sets the anxiety in. All of our systems go haywire; we lose the ability to control her and her thought processes, we can’t calm her down, we can’t do much of ANYTHING, really. And these anxiety attacks are triggered by every single little thing; disappointment, temporary disappearance of a person whose location she knows, thunderstorms, lights flickering, watching a highly-emotional and/or highly quote-unquote “stressful” images, strobe lights, thoughts of the apocalypse. And when she gets overly anxious as of late, our problem settles in.

Crippling migraines.

When I say “crippling”, I mean that we lose control of her balance meter, of her legs, and of her eyes. Her eyes will droop closed and she’ll unwillingly fall asleep, or she’ll fall all over herself trying to make herself food, but she’s certainly unable to function well enough to go out or to go to school. Her girlfriend worries that it’s all in her head, her mother worries that she’s terminally ill, her doctor worries that she’s going to go insane and off herself or stop eating, and I worry that all of these worries are going to worry her to the point where she won’t get out of bed ever again.

And yet, I cannot bring myself to believe that the Monster is all bad. When it reads it’s head, beautiful works of what should one day become literature decide that they want to flow from it’s mouth, into our systems, and out of her fingertips. It helps her to create humanoid creatures from her mind that are surprisingly real. I wouldn’t be surprised if they truly existed, with the way that she sympathizes with them; I wonder often if she loves them more than she loves her family and her friends. She gets dreadfully lonely, and that is partially our fault; she is awkward, and there is nothing that we can do about an adult living in an adolescent’s world. She is judged for her preferred style of dress and she knows it, and she has lost faith in her other humans, (all the work of the Monster, I’ll have you know,) but those creatures that she creates with the help of the Monster help her get through the day.

And while I know that the monster will rear it’s ugly head again today, as her logic I sit back and I wait for it to happen, as I have grown accustomed to doing every day. Maybe, if I let it run rampant for a little while, it will join us and will become a part of order.

I can only hope.

aivant
Private E-1

Postby aivant » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:00 pm

Morning
"Okay Everybody He's awake get to work. Switch men, flick the switches to try to get him out of drowsiness mode even though the batteries are dead for that. Flick the big switch for the brain and arms, and legs. Okay memory room look at the morning files to find what we need to do first. " Half an hour later..."Okay mouth men, do your work on breakfast and you memory men, look at the memory files to look at what he likes for breakfast. Finally done for the morning. Now he just has to go to school which is mainly the brain men but today he has P.E so we better get those muscle men ready. He also has a friend who jumps on his shoulders so we better watch out for him.

Midday.
Oh crap. :( It's friday and on friday during lunch time he likes to eat a lot of stuff. because he gets more time than usual to eat. That normally wouldn't be a problem but one of the machines that controls the swallowing process broke down over night and it just got fixed but it can only take in small amount of food at a time. "okay mouth men you are going to have to work very hard to get that food down almost half way there.

Evening.
Ah my favorite time of the day. dinner was light so not much work. but now he sits down to play his favorite computer game which is fun for me since i am doing all the work. But this is the time for my workmen to look for new batteries for the drowsiness switch. They use super big batteries so they are really hard to find without going over our budget. we have some people trying to make them and the rest trying to find them. Almost time for him to go to sleep and we will have to start it all over again but this time for the weekend schedule.

aivant
Private E-1

Postby aivant » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Morning
"Okay Everybody He's awake get to work. Switch men, flick the switches to try to get him out of drowsiness mode even though the batteries are dead for that. Flick the big switch for the brain and arms, and legs. Okay memory room look at the morning files to find what we need to do first. " Half an hour later..."Okay mouth men, do your work on breakfast and you memory men, look at the memory files to look at what he likes for breakfast. Finally done for the morning. Now he just has to go to school which is mainly the brain men but today he has P.E so we better get those muscle men ready. He also has a friend who jumps on his shoulders so we better watch out for him.

Midday.
Oh crap. :( It's friday and on friday during lunch time he likes to eat a lot of stuff. because he gets more time than usual to eat. That normally wouldn't be a problem but one of the machines that controls the swallowing process broke down over night and it just got fixed but it can only take in small amount of food at a time. "okay mouth men you are going to have to work very hard to get that food down almost half way there.

Evening.
Ah my favorite time of the day. dinner was light so not much work. but now he sits down to play his favorite computer game which is fun for me since i am doing all the work. But this is the time for my workmen to look for new batteries for the drowsiness switch. They use super big batteries so they are really hard to find without going over our budget. we have some people trying to make them and the rest trying to find them. Almost time for him to go to sleep and we will have to start it all over again but this time for the weekend schedule.

Ab0utTheAuth0r
Private E-1

Postby Ab0utTheAuth0r » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Hello Everyone. Just as an heads up, I wrote this on impulse from my smartphone, so please excuse the errors. Thanks in advance for reading...

0500hrs:

Chaos is slowly turning in the Command Center located on the top floor of a building titled Mr. Manning. Established in 1986, this company has been running smoothly with only a minor downfall a few years back, in which that head Commander was relieved of duty. With a new General in command, this classified operation has been getting the task done on day to day basis.

This particular morning, the command center is dealing with typical morning issues: the neck center just reported a slight ache in its lower mid region. The CC quickly sent a response for comfort, saying that the problem was simply sleep position; a bad decision made by the CC's late night crew.

The Feet Office, located in the basement of Mr. Manning Inc., reported a cold draft that is rendering the workers from charging up for projected tasks. The CC replies and instructs the Hands Office, located separately on the east and west wings on the building, to provide additional cover over the Feet Office. This would sacrifice cover over the neck region and creates an unneeded conflict, so the CC orders the Knees Office the bend to a 45 degree angle. This resolves the temperature issue.

In the CC, the overworked, underpaid, crew works vigorously over control panels, ensuring that all sections of the building are working properly. Lieutenants stare at heart meters, making sure that the Heart Office, which is a 24hr section along with the CC, is still pumping blood to all the other offices. The Heart section went through a breakup recently when a neighboring building decided to relocate. This affected the entire faculty of Mr. Manning Inc. Rumors had spread of the potential merge, getting everyone’s hopes up. This would mean increased pay and a shared work load. But the business deal went bad when the potential partner found a partner with a bigger budget. So now the CC has to keep a close eye on the productivity of the Heart Office, due to low morale.

Every morning the CC is swamped with minor problems from back itches in which the Finger Office cannot reach. The mouth Office reports leaks that spread into the Face Office. The Arm Office reported that its storage compartment has a strange odor; maybe the combined complaints of the Arm and Face Office are the reason that last Business merge failed.

The CC has a heavy load of responsibility, and the members of the Brain Office work Day and Night dealing with issues form minor to major, from breakfast decisions to pillow slobbing. No matter the problem or issue, the CC handles it. They can't afford to take time off. Even in their sleep they have to work on creativity of dreams and costume designs of nightmares. No lunch breaks in this office, no holiday breaks, no rest, because even in a coma, Business is Business.

Prophetless
Private E-1

Postby Prophetless » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:53 am

“Welcome, welcome, members of the council one and all. We are gathered here today in order to discuss the next executive decision concerning—“ The well-dressed speaker is interrupted by a teenager wearing an “I’m with stupid” T-shirt, only there are multiple arrows pointing in every direction.

“Oh, would you give it a rest already? No one is impressed, you pompous ass. What do you mean ‘gathered?’ We don’t have a choice to be here or not, right? As far as you or anyone knows, we’ve been trapped in this room for all eternity with this stupid little TV screen.

“Yes, your objection has been duly noted,” the well-dressed one continues, “but a recent study has led me to believe that we are, in fact, collectively able to influence what happens on this screen.”

A nerd with face-domineering glasses gets up at this statement, adjusting his obviously over-sized and tattered white coat. “Umm, yes, yes, I myself did this study. I noticed it yesterday when I suggested salads are healthy—“

The teenager guffaws. “What I remember, ultra-geek, is that we all told you to go to hell. Real winners eat awesome food. Like pizza.”

The enormously fat person in the corner pipes in, “Or endless servings of spaghetti smothered in beautiful sauce and loaded with cheese and followed up with some crisp fries with just the perfect serving of ketchup to accompany them, oh and Chinese food with buckets and buckets and buckets of rice, oh and…”

A giggling 5 year old starts wailing, “Caaaake! Caaaaaake! I want Chocolate Cake NOW! Where’s the caaaaaake?”

“Oh great, now look what you’ve done” the well-dressed adult reprimands. “How am I ever going to restore order?”

“Restore?” the teenager snickers. “There is not order to restore. Hate to break it to you, but no one is paying attention.”

“What do you mean? Of course they are, we are in a meeting after all.”

“Yeah? What about that streaking naked person, going around laughing gleefully?”

“It’s an attention deficit disorder problem, but it’s not debilitating per se…”

“That 12-year old who keeps singing the Pokémon theme song?”

“That’s simply the head of the Arts and Humanities department.”

“How about that weird hippy who keeps writing bad poetry?”

“Bad? I think they are quite interesting—“

“Are you guys talking about my work?” the long-haired poet interjects. “Has my soul-altering work challenged, provoked, and shocked you too much? It tends to happen with my work sometimes, too powerful for the regular masses.”

“Dude,” the teenager snorted, “your last poem was, and I quote, ‘Chairs, chairs, are from Satan’s head. Without them we’d be having class in bed.'”

“Brilliant, right?”

“It’s just stupid!”

“Well, it not the best one, but I think it shows lots of promise,” the well-dressed one encourages.

“As I was saying,” the teenager continues, “there is no order in this stupid place, and this is not a stupid meeting you are directing. And will you two stop fighting!” the teenager is suddenly distracted by two people who have been off on their own the entire time, fighting constantly.

“The only thing worth anything is love, true love! You need to find your soul-mate to be happy!” the one wearing pink, heart-studded clothes yells.

“Yeah? You want me to sit around not getting laid until I find some person who probably doesn’t exist? Have you seen me lately? I’m hot stuff.”

“Waiting isn’t so hard…all we would need is some movies full of attractive people to distract us…”

“Hell no! I’m not fantasizing about fake perfect people when there are real people to sleep with. What are you crazy?”

“And how are you ever going to find love if you don’t—“

“Yes, I do wish they’d stop as well,” the well-dressed one conceded. They never offer any productive input to the meeting.”

“Get it through your thick skull!” the teenager shoots back. “There. Is. No. Meeting.”

“Well, that’s just silly. Of course there is,” the well-dressed one dismisses briskly. “And today we are gathered to discuss the executive decision concerning…umm, concerning…Oh, now see what you’ve done! I’ve forgotten what the meeting was supposed to be about!”

“Well, I've got a new proposition for the council,” the teenager sniggers. “All in favor of ending today’s ‘meeting’ and calling it a day, raise your hands.”

All hands go up immediately, and the chairperson sighs. “Yes, yes, that seems to be the only thing we can ever agree on…”

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges