[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
In Full Detail 1/29-2/3 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 7 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

In Full Detail 1/29-2/3

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Evaniersel
Private E-1

RE: In Full Detail 1/29-2/3

Postby Evaniersel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:37 am

Thrusting my hand down the side of my bed in search of the light switch I feel as if I am one of those metallic arms trying valiantly to grasp onto some inane prize for some pimply little teenager. It takes me three attempts before I actually locate the switch and grasp it. Fumbling around, still half asleep, I finally get the light working with a validating CLICK that penetrates the night silence. For my efforts I’m rewarded with a burst of light and a comforting electric hum. The light itself resembles some kind of mechanical bird perched on the head of my bed. With black and white plumage, he is a quiet observant little fellow that seems to have the same interests as I do, reads the same books, watches the same television programs. While he is silent most of the time (being nocturnal and all), the careful observer may notice the soft buzzing call that he hums when he is awake. His colouring may not exactly match the habitat in which he is found but the bed light fools predators by staying completely still. It is possible that he moves under cover of darkness but alas he is always standing vigilantly in the same position when I awake.

Each new generation of product ensures that the bed light is always changing in appearance, however they provide subtle hints as to their origins on the outer layers of their body. This particular sub species has a marking on its head that is an explicit tell as to where he comes from. The markings are in the shape of IKEA, which is a vast mating ground for these little lights. The lights however cannot reproduce themselves. Like an ant there are certain breeders who give birth to these little lights, we humans call them Swedes. They are blonde haired blue-eyed bipeds who have dedicated their lives to the creation of lights and other species similar to this one

Angeleyes7
Private E-1

Postby Angeleyes7 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:03 am

Arianna Fielder
Private E-1

Postby Arianna Fielder » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:24 pm

As I look around my room, one object catches my eye. My bookcase. It is full almost to overflowing with books; books I've read, books I'm going to read, and some books I have no idea how they even got there. But more than its appearance, a bookcase expresses escape. An escape into a world other than the one in which we live, a world in which anything can happen. A place where people feel so many feelings, some of which we haven't ever felt, feelings we can only yearn to feel. Bookcases not only hold an escape, but a place to hide when we feel miserable, or when we just need to stop thinking about something that has happened, or might happen, or maybe even something we don't even understand. Bookcases are something in which millions of thoughts and emotions reside in, but only if we choose to fill them.

LadyAuter
Private E-1

Postby LadyAuter » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:27 am

(I know this is late but I just stumbled upon this site and the prompts and this one caught my eye first! :) )

The large class room is empty when I come in. The lights, motion activated, instantly come on when I venture further. It's a lecture hall with long tables and chairs half circling around the room. The stage, slightly raised by a thick step, contains a podium with a computer inside of it and a few chairs. Standing at the podium I can look out into the audience and see for myself the ghostly images of students long passed, flipping through notebooks, typing on laptops, or staring blankly at the white sheet hanging beside me.

I inspect the screen. It's a little more than a white sheet and the realization is fascinating. A button directly beside it operates the mechanical mechanism that rolls the sheet up then back down. The border is black and stops at the bottom with a thick cylinder that extends to the other connecting side of the square. The texture is rough and contrasts the silk inside that rolls onto my finger tips willingly. Towards the center of the black border is a small silver plate. I push the button and roll the screen up so I can read it.

Blanche Monroe Tools
San Graves, Texas
“Where learning meets the real world”

San Graves, Texas, I roll the location around in my mind fixing it to clues I have been puzzling over the past few days. The minutes grow longer and I can't stand staring at the metal plate any longer. Carefully I remove the plate from the screen and slip it into my pocket. I pace the length of the stage, looking through the eyes of my target who probably stood in my place.

Dr. Blanche Connelly, world renowned professor in Bio-Medical Engineering. I glanced back at the screen wondering just how hot it had to be in San Graves this time of the year. I then decided to find out.

Stepping off of the stage, I climbed the stairs back to the door two at a time. I had a plane to catch and a woman to kill. A woman who ruined my mother's life without a single thought to the consequences. I vowed she would think of them when I got to her. She would know what it was to roll memories around and around until her skull burned with the possibilities if she'd kept justice in mind.

CLC_Student
Private E-1

Postby CLC_Student » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:36 am

My desciptive paragraph is about an grimy, elderly looking television An 18th century television with a filth gray color The buttons are falling off piece by piece It has an gigantic shiny screen Like the sweaty forehead of an NBA player that just shot the last shot of the game ( I'm comparing the forehead to the screen) It's a real piece of #%$&
But how it was created and brought here is a whole other story in itself a real insane story with asian child labor and one of the wolrd largest television making company TVinc A big business tycoon named Ed Wunsler owns the company He is like the donald trump of television It was brought in by Ed Wunsler's shiping company, W.S.A, which stands for We Ships Anything It ships everything from Japanese cars to illegal drugs (All of which Mr Wunsler knows about)

CLC_Student
Private E-1

Postby CLC_Student » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:59 am

It is BIG, rusty, beige, and it could be hot or cold, sometimes just right. It's also old and really high up. when i am feeling exhausted and not that good, i could always turn her up and she gives me cool air. When i am cold, freezing from all the snow outside, I just turn her heater on and she makes me feel like a cup of bubbling hot chocolate. She is the air conditioner. Her name is Acy!

About 50 yrs ago Acy and her buds received an email from HISD saying how helpfull it would be if we would come down to houston texas to the Contemporary Learning Center and work for them. Many of Acy's frineds wanted to come, but they already had so much work to do at home in Cuba. ACY really wanted to come, so she had other friends replace her at her job. The email said there were 25 places available. She responded quickly to the email because these jobs were getting taken so quickly it wasn't even funny.

At last Acy and the others took the first plane out to Houston. They arrived late at night, so they snuck into the building. CLC was empty and quiet. When morning came, they were all in their new positions ready to start working. The students and teachers were all so surprised and happyy. Cool fresh air at last!

Wyatt.C.Hilby
Private First Class

Re: In Full Detail 1/29-2/3

Postby Wyatt.C.Hilby » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:42 pm

A Skeleton

I don’t think I’ve ever seen skin so rough yet so beautiful. At once, calloused and dry and soft and smooth. Its crisp rippled furrows an ancient armor. Its fifty three points spiral out - yet wind in tighter and tighter until gone. Sometimes glossy and very much organic – its waxy finish often glides into a porous ridge. Mine possesses a canvass of cream smudged with rusted peach and angelic pink. It is one of nature’s gifts to both man and animal. It is a conch.

It was a gift from my brother before he died. He’d always managed to acquire the unusual from the usual – particularly from dumpsters. It’s amazing what things people throw away. Of course it’s amazing what others are willing to believe. Often I wish we could talk and laugh as no other could make the other…do.

SmileyJess82
Private E-1

Postby SmileyJess82 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:55 am

As I sit at my desk, I reach over and pick up the old rock. That’s what most people call it anyway. They look over and see what appears to be a plain, dirty looking rock and wander why in the world I have it sitting on my desk. However, it’s what they don’t’ see that makes this rock so special. When you pick it up and look more closely, you will see several diamonds. Some are small glimmers, while others quite large. All to me shine more beautifully incased by the rock that holds them.

You may wander how I came upon this treasure, but it’s not that interesting of a story really. See back in my college days I took a class in geology. Hey, I really couldn’t stand the idea of any more biology and it counted as credited so why not. On a field trip, our instructor took us out to dig for diamonds. I wasn’t much into the idea of digging in the rock until I saw that there really were diamonds hidden in it. As I dug, I broke off this large piece of rock. It just glimmered in the sunlight. There were so many diamonds. My instructor was amazed at the size of the ones in this particular piece of rock. He told me they were large enough to have removed and turned into beautiful pieces of jewelry. Something in my heart just couldn’t bear to rip these diamonds from the rock. I decided to keep the rock with diamonds in tact. To me it is more beautiful than any piece of jewelry these diamonds could have made. I know a lot of people think I’m crazy, but this old rock truly gives me inspiration each and every day. It serves as a constant reminder to me of two things. One we don’t find treasure in the most unlikely places. Two, that with hard work you just might find the diamonds.

rajrohitk2
Private E-1

Postby rajrohitk2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:27 pm

It was GMAT preparatory book that was lying in front of me. I see it every day as it is lying on table next to my bed.

It was a thorough in depth careful planning before buying it. In dream of a Glorious, Marvelous, Charming , Glamorous future, I thought of getting admission to a world class MBA institute like Standford, Kelloggs or may be Harvard. So first step was to get a good GMAT score and for that I have to start my preparation. And the first move for starting off the preparation was to buy the best preparatory book. I searched internet and got feedback from few of my friends. I bought best available GMAT book. When I bought it, I felt that I am buying my destiny and got admission in Kellogs. I could see myself studying in an AC classroom and laptop in front of me and Bill Gates delivering speech. The thought was broken when the bookseller shook me. Anyways !!!!! It is not far off.

On the way, to home, I planned the strategy and framed the time table. I was charged and eager to reach home. The moment I entered the house, I went to my study room and started reading it and felt exciting. Day one went smoothly, a feeling of satisfaction as whatever I read I could grasp it. Day two was ok. Day three I started reading section English – Logical reasoning. I felt GMAT is not so easy but did not loose hopes. Day four continued to do some examples. Only one correct out of twenty. Some shock to my confidence of getting good score. But winners are not afraid of these small jerks. I did not lose spirits. Day five I studied Maths – Trignometry and subsequently tried few examples. This time no correct answers out to twenty. Dreams shattered.

Day six, I was avoiding to even look the book. But I tried to make myself strong and pumped in some confidence. I started with Maths – Geometry but history repeated itself. I ran away.

Then onwards I put a cloth on the book so that I cannot see it. But my mom one day removed the cloth, removed the dirt from it and put back on my study table. I saw it in evening and got disturbed to see my shattered dream of becoming a “professional from Kelloggs / Standford or Harvard” in front of me. I could not through it as my mom will shout on me

The book still remains on the table as I have to see it daily and face the harassment. But no option.

sanista
Private E-1

Postby sanista » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:41 am

it's that stupid air freshener which set-off the fire alarm approximately six months ago which drove me nuts and i had to call in the super.

the thing is, the pipes that run pass my floor from the 10th (i'm on 7th) omit a certain foul odor at least once a week (i'm being kind) and it really drives me insane. so eventually i got around to buying a can of air freshener from carrefour (or was it wal-mart - i can't remember; since i live practically between both (and tesco behind me) and started my 'stake-out'.

one fine day, i was sitting innocently in my living room, reliving the tragicity of sex and the city's season 3. few episodes passed by and it was time for bed and dream-feast. i crawled into my bed, and before that, peacefully turned off the lights. i was in such lovely mood. it was such a lovely night; insane sub-zero weather outside, and the room was just nice and slightly chilly, perfect for snooze and slumber.

then the foul odor came and patted my nose, saying 'trying to sleep hey?'

i got up, opened the kitchen cabinet and took out that damn air freshener. i sprayed the entire kitchen, like a lunatic.

i crawled back to bed.

a minute later, some stupid noise began to scream murder and eventually i was the one who started screaming murder. i didn't know what the hell was that noise and neither could i figure out where the hell it was coming from.

it went on for a good old minute before my sleep-mode brain came to its senses that it was the fire alarm that's screaming murder.

being in a 'new' beijing, where new buildings almost digitize everything, i started looking for the damn panic aka shut-up button.

obviously i found nothing. so i had to call the super.

he got to my crib, plucked the house-phone (the one with video that links to the main gate outside), fiddled with some wires and voila! murder's over.

he told me that the stupid air freshener triggered the damn alarm.

right. i was baffled, and from that day onwards, i hated the damn fire alarm for being such an insensitive prick. air freshener? what?! aren't you suppose to detect and sniff SMOKE?

what a loser, you stupid air freshener. and fire alarm. ok, i don't know who's to blame (no, not me) but both of you should work something out together. i still think it's you, you fire alarm.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges