In Full Detail 1/29-2/3

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
ruthie
Private E-1

RE: In Full Detail 1/29-2/3

Postby ruthie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 am

I am staring at a pretty unique ceramic candle i use at work, because of the vanilla aroma, which was bought for me on my birthday in october , a gift from my sister, Its a "friendship light " to count blessings i have known in my life, a candle that glows, that i can close my eyes, and make a wish, and i wonder who made it, and how much it is meant for me.!!, so i made a wish that one day, i will publish a book or be a great writer with writers digest ! hope you enjoyed my first writing , and prompt me to go on.!!! :) :)

ruthie
Private E-1

Postby ruthie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 am

I am staring at a pretty unique ceramic candle i use at work, because of the vanilla aroma, which was bought for me on my birthday in october , a gift from my sister, Its a "friendship light " to count blessings i have known in my life, a candle that glows, that i can close my eyes, and make a wish, and i wonder who made it, and how much it is meant for me.!!, so i made a wish that one day, i will publish a book or be a great writer with writers digest ! hope you enjoyed my first writing , and prompt me to go on.!!! :) :)

ladydazey
Private E-1

Re: In Full Detail 1/29-2/3

Postby ladydazey » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:44 pm

In my dining room sitting on a table beside the door that leads into the hallway is a 33 inch tall lamp of antique design. This lamp is black and gold with a 11 1/2 inch tall shade divided into four 5 inch sections and four 2 inch sections at the top measuring 28 inches and fanning out to four 10 inch sections and four 4 inch sections measuring 56 inches at the bottom covered with gold fabric. The base of the lamp is a black 5 inch square standing on 4 claw-like feet of gold and black at each corner. Sitting on the base is a 3 inch black pedestal trimmed in gold that fans out at the bottom. Above the pedestal is a gold circular 1/2 inch area that holds a 19 inch black circular cylinder which stands 18 inches tall. On the cylinder is a 21 inch circular area with gold filigree designs all around. Above this circular area is a black 15 inch circular area with gold petals that fans out to a 16 inch circle which graduates up to a smaller black circle. Above that is a 6 1/2 inch pedestal with black and gold rings. Above the pedestal is a gold tulip shaped petal out of which the tube that houses the cord. Above that is the tholder for the 3-way bulb. Outside the bulb holder is the prongs that hold the lamp shade and above it all is an upside down claw-like screw that holds the lamp shade onto the prongs.
This lamp was given to me by the daughter of my best friend after she succumed to cancer. The daughter knew I was a close friend of her mother. We went to the same church, I had done some alterations for her and she and I and another friend played scrabble from time to time. I can't quite remember when we met. It seemed like I had known her all my life. She was like a sister to me. I remember when she retired from her job with the state as a case worker. Her two daughters and her co-workers had given her a retirement party. I had designed a special gift basket so she could pamper herself during the first few months of her retirement. It was just two months after that party that my friend told me that she wasn't well. Shortly afterwards she informed me that she had cancer. At the end of January of the following year she was gone. I had called her several times during her illness and I had sent her flowers during her stay in the hospital. When my friend died, her daughter asked me if there was anything I wanted from the house in memory of her. I told her to choose for me, saying that anything would be fine. As a result, I received the lamp. I'll never forget my sister/friend. I know she's at peace.

ladydazey
Private E-1

Postby ladydazey » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:13 pm

The following is my favorite childhood memory about playing in the snow. I grew up in a very small town in Pennsylvania and as anyone knows, when it snows in Pennsylvania, it really snows. As a child growning up in so much snow, I learned how to really enjoy it. Many of the roads were closed when it snowed there. The DOT didn't have to announce road closings since the area had so many hills, the residents knew that certain roads wold be closed automatically. Most of the children in town had a sled. Some had small sleds and some had large sleds were they could ride two people but my sled eas made from a cardboard box. There is a street between High Street and Second Street we called Hollow Road which is very steep and was the first street to be closed. We would ride down that hill, walk back up and ride down again. All of us children would go down and up over and over again not caring how steep the hill was or how long it was and we did it all night. It was safe there even at night. The street was very well lit and the moon was always shining brightly on that street. No one ever bothered us and no one ever got hurt. Our feet and hands got cold but we didn't care because we were having so much fun. Our parents knew where we were so they didn't come to look for us. Half way down that hill there was an intersection to the right. This road was closed also and sometimes we would go off to the intersection to stop and sometimes we would start at the intersection and go down to the bottom of the hill. It was as if we were in a world of our own. I'm living in Atlanta now and missing those childhood days in that small town in the snow. When it snows here, I reminisce about being home.

Ashless
Private E-1

Postby Ashless » Tue May 04, 2010 6:19 pm

My alarm clock.

My alarm clock isn't new anymore, i've had it for a while. It's now covered in black permanent marker, but i can still see the numbers. It says :10:29. The two dots in front of it mean PM and that my alarm to wake up for school at 6am is on. It came from a store, but after being bought ended up in my brothers room. I took it.

fleur1977
Private E-1

Postby fleur1977 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:47 pm

My object is a phrase sign, more like a marble plaque to me. It has a Fleur-de-lis symbol (you know, on the New Orleans Saints helmet), and it says: "I live in my own little WORLD but it's ok. They know me here." The words are engraved in stony gray, with some speckles in the white "marble". There are blue fingerprints, probably from my children. The back has a black backing with the option to stand it on a surface, or hang it by a nail. And the sticker is still on it, and it's made in China. I have it standing by my computer.

I bought this at Target in the South Loop in Chicago. I HAD to buy it for two reasons. First, it has my symbol on it. My name is Fleurdelys. And second, it is so true to me. I feel like I am the only one who understands me. Although, I don't really understand myself at times. But it's okay. In my world, they know me. And it's me in my world. So, this little marble plaque of mine, is my statement in life. I love it! ;)

booshfan421
Private E-1

Postby booshfan421 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:30 am

My Christmas tree stands proudly in the corner, upon a nest of wooden tables - although it's really small, it's a great tree. It is decorated with golden reindeers, which appear to be prancing up and down, golden baubles, whether they be sparkly or metallic, and strands of thin golden tinsel. It also has metal Christmas tree ornaments hanging from its branches, and, of course, chocolates! There are a string of blue lights wrapped around it, and when the overhead lights are switched off they glint in the darkness like little rays of hope. The base of the tree has black and gold wrapping paper around it, hiding the pot and roots from view. On the top is a swirly star which adds a lot of height to the tree, or so my mother says.
We got this tree from Wilkinsons (yes, I know what you're thinking) last week, and my parents complained that it was too small, but I persuaded them to keep it by telling them, in detail, how adorable it looked sitting there in the corner. We bought the Christmas tree ornaments from a Christmas fair, and they're handmade... We also have two snowmen sitting at the top, which my grandmother gave to me, and they look very happy perched on the top of our tree!

sns3guppy
Private E-2

Postby sns3guppy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:57 am

The red wrinkled stocking, made of crushed velvet, hangs like an unblown flag, curled slightly around itself by a loop of soft fabric. Frosty white felt adorns its lip, inviting an eager hand or a wizened black glove holding presents. Its depths remain unplumbed, forbidden until Christmas morn, void of content yet inviting all. The humble sock cries out to be filled. It hangs on wrought reindeer forms, hooked beneath the television, no fireplace found in this desert home. Each stocking, one per child, one for me, and one for the wife, has no name, no right to own. Those go on today, puffy paint in the sweaty fingers of little hands, big capitol letters in crooked lines. Every letter a prayer of bright hope and joy.

The tag in the lip of the stocking says “made in China,” though it won’t matter a whit to excited eyes and bright hearts at first light on Christmas. Will they awake to find matchbox cars and peanut hulls, or little lumps of blackened coal? Could the underage worker who sewed these bits of fabric tight in a distant land have imagined another child’s bright joy on Christmas day, from within the dim walls of a sweatshop in Yangon province? I don’t know, but I like to think that the end of the day brought a smile and some rest, and perhaps even hope. Children who open this stocking will never know those things, they won’t stop to think. Perhaps I will remind them, perhaps they’ll mail the stocking back to China, and perhaps Christmas and spirit will go together once again. Perhaps not. We shall see.

Trissa
Private E-2

Postby Trissa » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:23 pm

This particular item has held "pride of place" on a bookshelf for over twenty years. It is a handmade photo frame. This frame folds into two halves, although folding it is impossible as it is of quilted fabric. The frame is probably eight inches in length and five in height. The fabric has small squares throughout, each square with a different pattern: stripes, florals, The color theme is in earth tones of browns, greens, and rose hues. The two halves of the frame(s) have oval openings for the photos. The photos can be inserted from slits at the top. The photos themselves are (on the left) our wedding picture. We stand at the cake table; smiling, talking happily to each other. The cake is three-tiered. The topper was special as it graced my parent's wedding cake almost 45 years before. It is a bride-and-groom Kewpie couple made of ceramic. The right-hand photo is of our three children (two boys and one girl) sitting on Santa's lap. They all have red sweaters and are smiling their best "I was good for Christmas" smiles. Santa, too, smiles but I think it's a bit strained from the weight of three children ages 7, 5, and 2. This photo is 19 years old.

My maid-of-honor gave this to me on my wedding day. She made it herself. I love the photos and the memories they portray as well as the idea of a young couple just starting their lives together. They don't know what the future will hold. The future, our children on the right, changed the lives of that young couple in ways that couple would never have believed. I think especially of our middle son who was born with a congenital heart defect. As a young couple, we looked as if every day of our lives would go on like those of other newlyweds: perfect lives, perfect children, no worries. But today as I look at those photos, I feel pride in what that young couple accomplished. The love and strength and joys despite several "down times". Every day is a fresh page. Try to fill it well.

Clara
Private E-1

Postby Clara » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:31 pm

The light of the desk lamp reflects in the fake crocodile skin cover of my bleu marine notebook. I run my fingers over its creases and then open it, past the orange interior of the cover, to the first page. 2005 is written in orange letters in the middle of the page next to the round logo of a snake wrapped around what looks like a martini glass. In the bottom left corner I had scribbled the date in black ink. As I ruffle the pages I can still smell the bitterness of the cigarette smoke but I think this time is my own. The handwriting fills most of its pages, words neatly inscribed in ink over the faint bluish lines and the orange boxes at the bottom of each page. I had hoped to show him a finished novel one day.

I can't forget the day he offered it to me. S. had driven me home and when the car pulled in front of the gate I took the chocolate bar out of my purse and slowly placed it on the dashboard. The wrapper announced New Year's Sweepstakes. "Maybe you'll win the ski trip" I said. He let his palms slide down the steering wheel and drop in his lap, cigarette still between his lips. "If I do, you know I'll take you with me" He smiled and I thought about kissing him but it didn't occur to me to actually do it. S. reached behind his seat and pulled out the notebook. "It's not much, but you will need it" he said. We met one more time before he vanished without a word.

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges