Back From the Future - 4/27

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Trissa
Private E-2

Re: Back From the Future - 4/27

Postby Trissa » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:52 pm

"Tell me again that you love me, Johnny."

"I love you, Val. With my heart and soul. I swear on my grandmother's grave."

I felt an incredible rush at those words. My Johnny loved me and we would soon be married. The exact date of my happily ever after was not set, but I had the ring on my finger and Johnny's certain promise. I wanted to tell him how much I truly loved him, but it was hard to speak the words. I sat at my writing desk and decided to compose a letter, instead. Something he could read and reread over the years.

I was at: "...I look at the ring you placed on my finger. It dazzles my heart as well as my eyes...." when I my phone rang. The Caller ID said it was Johnny again. He must have forgotten to tell me something. I reached toward the phone when suddenly there was a knock at my door. Actually, it wasn't a knock, but an urgent pounding. Someone had to be in terrible trouble to cause this ruckus. I let the phone ring: I would call him back.

An older gentleman stood outside. He appeared agitated as he shuffled from one foot to the other. His anxious eyes darted, checking to see if anyone was watching. I opened the door just a crack. "Can I help you?"

The man pushed past me into my house. "Val! I'm so glad I made it in time," he said with tears in his eyes. "I thought I might be too late."

I started backing into the living room headed back for my cell phone. "Who are you and how do you know my name?"

"It's me...Johnny. I'm here from the future."

"Sure," I nodded. "Johnny who?"

"Your fiance. Johnny Salms. I'm from a time when time-travel is possible." He put his left arm out, showing me an odd looking wristwatch. "I can dial this forward or backward in time. It's only good for one trip to the date of my choosing. I have two hours then I have to be back in my time to recharge it."

"If you're really Johnny tell me something about us. When did we get married? How many children do we have?"

"That's just it, Val," he lowered his eyes. "We didn't get married. I let my foolish pride get in the way on this date. I panicked and because of that, you committed suicide."

"What?" My head swam. I started to scream. How dare this oddball come into my house and say such things. "Are you threatening me? You need to leave before I call the police."

The stranger thrust his hand inside his jacket and pulled out a crumpled bit of paper. It looked like scraps that had been taped over and over again from years of wear. "Look at this," he said. "I think you'll recognize it.

My hands shook as I took the tattered sheet. I stared in disbelief as I read: "Dear Johnny, I look at the ring you placed on my finger. It dazzles my heart as well as my eyes. That is why I find it so hard to believe your words today. This ring was a promise of a wonderful life together. The pain of betrayal from one I was willing to trust with my future is more than I can bear. My love is eternal -- Valerie."

"The phone was ringing when I knocked on the door. That was me about to tell you I wasn't ready for marriage."

Tears welled up in my eyes now. "Why? We had just spoken..."

"I lost my job on this day and didn't feel like I could face you. I meant what I said that first time. You were my heart and soul, but I was embarrassed. I didn't think I was good enough for you without a job. My pride destroyed you. Look at me, Val. You know this face even though it's older."

Staring into the eyes, I saw Johnny looking earnestly back. The small scar from childhood was there, too, from the time his brother threw a toy truck at him. "What happened to you?" I asked.

"I never married. I couldn't. And as you can see, I've read this letter so many times knowing my guilt. Please, when you do answer the phone remember what I'm telling you now. Know that I love you and wait it out a couple of days."

With that the man twisted his funny wristwatch and slowly disappeared before my eyes. The phone started ringing once again.

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges