Your WD Legacy 3/25-4/1

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Your WD Legacy 3/25-4/1

Postby Brian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:30 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Your WD Legacy 3/25-4/1

Postby Brian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:30 am

In 2020, The Associated Press writes another story about the Writer's Digest legacy, and they've dedicated an entire paragraph to your successful career. When flipping through your local paper, you find the story. What does the paragraph say?

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

dgford
Colonel

RE: Your WD Legacy 3/25-4/1

Postby dgford » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:12 am

I guess it is really true what they say about becoming famous, after you are long gone.  I am sorry if it seems like I am harping, but I am in Heaven viewing this write up.
Greywolf
One of the more colorful characters to grace the Writer's Digest Magazine was none other than "Greywolf", as we had come to affectionately know him.  It is certainly a better name than dgford, whatever that is.
He won't mind us poking a bit of fun at him, now that he's forever gone.  Priding himself on being a humorist, and running a humor forum for us at W.D., we are well within our rights to toast and roast him here.  He was the one who said Heaven will be a blast.  Well, we are all waiting to hear.  He was also our Spiritual Forum (Leader) Moderator and referred to himself as Chief Run Amok. Oh well, if the moccasins fit.
He is still in our memories and we can not forget the way he told story after unforgettable story of spiders, frogs, fairy tales, and of course his first story he sold over the phone to an editor: "The Hungry Dragonfly."
No one could quite spin a yarn in the way he was able to, nor would we care to.  LOL  By that I meant that most writer's here found satisfaction in more serious writing endeavors; like horror, nonfiction, mystery, sci-fi, and a host of other genres.
'Mr. Wolf' was a real funny guy, but had his serious moments, (Not too many, though). He told us how he became known as Greywolf.  As he began to age, his temple area (once dark brown), turned grey.  So Blackwolf had to change his name. He never did tell us where Blackwolf came from, and we forgot to ask him; too late now.
Today Mr. Greywolf's granite stone reads loudly:  "I can't believe I finally made it here.  It certainly took long enough.  I hope to see you all real soon!" 
Well dgford, speak for yourself, I am in no hurry to join you there.  But we all wish you well in that great beyond.  I am sure you are still penning away up there, and the thing you most dreaded on earth has come upon you.  You have no excuse to not write that full length novel, what with all that free time on your hands.
Don was the short story king - and the folks on this site were always clamoring for more. "Too short, too short," they would scream.  He spent a lot of his time speaking at schools and retirement homes.  They liked his short pieces.  The older crowd fell asleep after the first few lines - so his work had to be quick.  The kids had very short attention spans, and the poetry reading time allotted was only ten to fifteen minutes.  So he did what was best for those he spent most of his time with; kept every story and poem short and sweet.
I thought about the one thing I could say about him that would sum up our experience of having him here with us lo these many years.  I have to say again: "Your stories and your time with us were too short."
I will now leave with you a few of his earlier quotes (we are pretty sure he didn't steal any of these).  There is also this note we found scribbled in his handwriting - we know it’s his because we can hardly read it.  It says: "If one of my quotes looks like one of yours, sue me."
dgford
"Just remember that no one can really fall flat who believe their world to be round. And believe me when I say that this site will have you circling the globe. (Or at least will have you running in circles)" DGFord
Edit
Delete
dgford
"Welcome aboard and don't forget to buckle your seat belt, unless your state doesn't require it." DGFord

dgford
Eagles up always, computers down too much of the time
Edit
Delete
dgford
When writers try to fly their works, some of them fall down. But they must always flap their wings - to get off of the ground." DGFord
Edit
Delete
dgford
"You can fool an adult, but don't try and kid a kid, they see right through you." D.G. Ford
Edit
Delete
dgford
"Beauty is more than skin deep if found at the heart of the matter." D. G. Ford
Edit
Delete

Laura Lee 80
Private E-1

Postby Laura Lee 80 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Nary a fear balked this legendary writer and longtime contributor to Writer’s Digest. She knocked on doors like a traveling salesman, spreading her word in the male-run world of golf. Her extended works advocating knickers and plus fours as mandatory golf wear earned her a Pulitzer in 2017, which she accepted wearing a hat made entirely of feathery balls. She wrote her stories while hacking around golf courses with only a one-iron, putter and flask, sharing her opinion of the day’s round with a rowdy crowd at a local establishment. A true ambassador of the sport, she showed the skeptics that golf wasn’t just an overly starched shirt that took itself too seriously. Her fearless approach to a game of tradition won fans all around the world, ultimately growing the sport.

slayerdan
Private E-1

Postby slayerdan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:46 am

Writer's Digest. Does that title bring back any memories for you? It was a groundbreaking monthly that gave many writers, wannabe and established, an avenue of hope that their works would reach the eyes and minds of others. They were shut down in 2009 after the Governmental Online Suppression of Free Speech Act was passed. Many of the writers went underground. Some were never heard from again. Slayerdan, one of the most outspoken and prolific writers of that group, disappeared 2 days prior to the shutdown.

One of their more prolific writers, Slayerdan, was found dead yesterday in a small,central Florida hotel where he had apparently been living the last few months of his life.

Little is known about his whereabouts for at least 2 years after the shutdown. Many of his writings from WD were not allowed to be read. Ownership of such material, in any form, was punishable by exile to the Northern Territory. His ideas of freedom and hope, even in the face of unsurpassable odds, were considered inappropriate for any age range. His fantasy worlds were considered subversive to the new government, even though they always focused on mind over magic and the true strengths, and frailties, of the human spirit.

In supposed hiding, his true whereabouts those years shall probably never be known, Slayerdan emerged after his 2 year hiatus. In reality, he himself did not emerge; his writings did.They were being discovered in certain schools and colleges on the east coast. He had continued creating and populating his worlds, continuing with heroic stories of flawed heroes and cunning villains. His dark, sarcastic insight popped up here and there, criticizing, no bashing, the choice of the government to suppress freedom of thought in favor of controlled and monitored speech and creativity. He often cited the literary giants that influenced him and his life as he matured--that itself a violation of the Civil Law Acts passed in 2009 as well. It was rumored that he would take work as a janitor, a cook, a groundsman or other such position so that he could attempt to keep that spark alive--to keep the youth from believing the hype and hyperbole of the New World. His manuscripts, letters, and manifestos would appear from time to time, copied in the Underground movement. They always ended up in the hands of the youth he had tried to inspire as he himself was so inspired.

In 2018 the writings stopped. The word in the Underground was that he had made it to the Free areas of Old Europe and Australia, but he was never heard from again.

The official reports have him killed by a Suppression Team in his city. Underground persons on the scene report he was found in front of a hotel room desk. He had apparently had a heart attack while writing the final page of a manuscript titled, Revolution.

To his last breath, he fought for free thought and creativity.

Brian A. Klems

Associated Underground Press

Northern Territory

writer4christ05
Private E-1

Postby writer4christ05 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:26 am

Sonoma County has its very own bestselling author and longtime contributor to Writer's Digest. Rose Virginia Butler began writing at the age of eleven, writing historical fiction stories for school. When she was thirteen, she began a novel that wasn't finished until she was twenty-one. Aedan, the first novel in her Haldin Chronicles, was refused by three publishers before she finally got it into the hands of an editor at Random House. After finishing all seven novels in the series, she agreed to make a movie with Universal Studios. She bravely decided to produce the film herself, though she had no experience in filmmaking and had never even acted. The film was a blockbuster hit and made more money than the 2006 fantasy movie Eragon (based on Christopher Paolini's novel by the same name). Since then, she has been active in the film industry, working with Stephen Spielburg on multiple occasions. She has a new movie coming out in June, entitled Till That Day, and starring Bruce Willis and Reese Witherspoon. She currently lives in Sonoma County with her husband and nine children.

acre1964
Private E-2

Re: Your WD Legacy 3/25-4/1

Postby acre1964 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:34 pm

In 2020, The Associated Press writes another story about the Writer's Digest legacy, and they've dedicated an entire paragraph to your successful career. When flipping through your local paper, you find the story. What does the paragraph say?
Shawn Acre died of a blood clot in the brain yesterday.
He leaves behind his wife and two wonderful step children and plus all of their grand children.
He was very wealthy with all of the poems he sold into slogans for TV ads.
Also all the poems that ended up being put to music.
At one point in time, six out of the top ten hits on the pop charts were written by him.
The music industry loved his poems because they were so easy to turn into hit songs.
At first he loved the money then he started giving most of it to doctors with out boarders.
He respected them more than other cause. The reason he said is because these people risk their own lives to save other humans. The doctors have degrees and can make millions in their fields, but they choose to save others instead.
He will mostly be remembered for the love of the simple life he choose and never ending faith in God and Jesus.
My God rest his soul
Bye
Shawn Acre

Wyatt.C.Hilby
Private First Class

Postby Wyatt.C.Hilby » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:53 am

Celebrating a half century of sheer insanity Wyatt Hilby turns 50 today, August 9th 2020.
As the usual lot often does, Mr. Hilby overcame much in his early years and went on to become one of America’s most prolific short story writers. Born in Champaign Ill. at Chanute AFB he was one of two sons belonging to two parents one of which was an utter bastard and the other – not perfect yet comparatively a saint. After relocating to La Mesa CA and winning best in show at the local science fair at the age of 9, Wyatt went on to study art at the San Diego Museum of Art under Dr. Phillips. Under her guidance he was he was urged to take advantage of an all access pass to the Natural History Museum, located just next door! It was here Wyatt first encountered the world of other cultures and the mystery of the chameleon. Years later while visiting a friend at the Russian House at the University of Washington he was recruited by the ***. Under the tutelage of *** * he went on to become an international courier working mostly between ***** and the ******* ****** *****. Under the Clinton Administration he sourced for the *** the *** the **** and importantly, the ********* ************* ***** branch liaison in New York. After being shot in the chest during a co-op in ******* of all places, he stepped back. In the tradition of O Henry he went on to write some of the most interesting stories ever to be published. Always the patriot he never once revealed the fine details of his career with the *** and occasionally still works with the team.

Mr. Hilby lives with his cat – Wet Boy Willie!

He is best known for the famous riddle:

“Lend me an eye you cannot see, a branch of a tree which cannot be. Look not to the East but the Caspian Sea. I’ve got your six and so does he.”

kileyROXsox33
Private E-1

Postby kileyROXsox33 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:19 pm

**STAR GOES SCUBA**

The famous pop-star, Kiley Smith, risked her life this Saturday when she Scuba Dived for the first time. She went down with a trained professional and 2 of her closest friends, to look at reefs, sponges, and maybe encounter some Marine Life. They had never expected to come face-to-face with a live Manta Ray. It was wounded, and had it been live, she could've been killed. They took out netting in a wound, and helped the Manta Ray survive. The pop-star says she has new song coming out on her Agent B.A.D album called Elegant about this encounter. This song is along with Agent B.A.D and Streets - her two new hits.

"I think life is an adventure, something that never slows down. You need to live it to experience the magic." Says Smith.

Im back acre1964
Private E-1

Postby Im back acre1964 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:58 am

Well that news artical is wrong because I am like a cockroach and I will surive anything. Thanks to the Great Unknown!!!

From Shawn Acre

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges