Your New Words 07/25-07/31

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
loudermilk
Major

RE: Your New Words 07/25-07/231

Postby loudermilk » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:42 am

milibarbaphobia (mill-a-barb-a-foe-be-a) n. - fear of military barbers. "His milibarbaphobia was so advanced that he was eventually forced out of the military."

mordacomed (mor-ta-cumd) v. - the sudden realization that someone has planned a party or reunion at your residence without prior approval, discussion, and/or coordination. Bill was mordacomed when he opend the front door and in walked two of his aunts, each carrying a casserole.

lastatopic (las-ta-top-ik) adj. - the ability to come up with an impromptu speech after realizing that a previous speaker purchased the same speach from an unscrupulous source.

loonatist (loon-a-tist) n. - A crazy or simple minded person capable of making others just as crazy. Don't look him in the eyes; he's a loonatist.

optideadlineist (op'te-deda'lin'ist) n. - One who habitually expects an editor to overlook the submission of a late item because of its unique quality, or as an act of kindness on the editor's part.

emil

Postby emil » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:38 am

A few weeks ago I went to the beach and it has come to my attention that the first two words should be added to the dictionary.

1) Hude- an expression used to describe one who is so hairy that nude is hardly an appropriate adjective.

Ex. “I thought that man was wearing an ugly sweater, but he was just hude.”

2) Fald- when one’s hair has not actually fallen out, but simply slowly slid off the top of their head and down the back throughout the years.

Ex. “One can hardly imagine that fald guy once had a full head of hair.”

If you think the first two were gross, you might find this next word useful.

3) Ijutualbimm- an expression similar to the phrase “I just threw up a little bit in my mouth” used to explain a nauseous feeling due to the discovery of disturbing information.

Ex. “Ijutalbimm! I would have been better off if you would have never told me that.”

4) Phamish- people who claim to be Amish, but use electricity and lie to people about the type of nuts in their “homemade” fudge.

Ex. “The Phamish told me their fudge contained no walnuts; however, after my tongue and face swelled up, I realized I should never again trust Phamish.”

This last one should be in the dictionary just because aardvark should not be first.

5)Aardvantager- one who reads the dictionary.

Ex. “If you were and aardvantager, you would know the letter “A”, not “aardvark”, is actually the first thing mentioned in the dictionary.

huntemann
Private E-2

Postby huntemann » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:05 pm

Preponed – The meeting was preponed to a sooner time.
Forteleven – Too many things to do today... don’t even know how many, but it’s somewhere between eleven and forty.
Clickster – The kid (with no money) who comes into the computer store and screws with everything.
Clerkster – The clerk who has to go around after the kid and fix everything.
Deja’did – That feeling that you’ve done something a dozen times before but can’t recall exactly where.

StoryMask

Postby StoryMask » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:00 pm

Scrat - A type of creature I created for one of my stories. It has the lower
body of a hairy spider and the upper body of a humanoid rat. Think centaur
except rat meets spider.

Disp - a despicable person. "She’s a disp."

Blastic - Something that was really hot, something so fantastic "it’s blastic!"

Stenk - a stinking traitor.

Fadey (Fae-day) - meaning autumn.

Dara - meaning winter.

jessica
Captain

Postby jessica » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:26 am

Flusterated-(flus-ter-rated)= A word that is created by 'fluster' and 'aggravated'. Can be used in place of both to show the amount of either word to show a collective feeling about any given situation which is fitting. It has countless uses! ;) (Example: Anna grew tired of feeling flusterated; she felt that communicating with her teenaged son was as productive as slamming her head into a brick wall.)

multifit-(multi-fit)=A word that decribes something/anything that serves a purpose but also has additional uses. (Example: Trina has kept duct tape with her in her car. She found that it was the perfect multifit when dealing with her 12 year old car! Or- Tim knew that toothpaste would fill in the holes of hanging pictures in his rental unit when he left. Toothpaste was an awesome multifit!)

ex-smoker
Private E-1

Postby ex-smoker » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:56 am

My words and their definitions are:

1) auto-oblivious -- automatically being aware of or being concerned about what is happening around oneself.
2) computerization -- making all information computerized
3) goodiness -- everything is good business
4) Rawls -- A disease of the heart

jchambers
Lieutenant

RE: Your New Words 07/25-07/31

Postby jchambers » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:43 pm

Sorry, I've been procrastinating on this prompt. The only new word I can think of is "nacilbuper," a noun, a person or group that solves massive problems on an equally massive scale and makes the world a much safer place. By remarkable coincidence, its antonym happens to be the same letters read backwards.

sunnydays140

Postby sunnydays140 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:04 pm

opti-pessimist someone whom appears optimistic but is really pessimistic

sunnydays140

Postby sunnydays140 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:05 pm

hairmon - one who worships their hair

sunnydays140

Postby sunnydays140 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:08 pm

heres one that i have trouble with every month....I shop when there is a full moon and spend more than I wanted to spend...only to realize there is a full moon..

loonashopaholic

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges