Your New Words 07/25-07/31

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
KGU
Private E-2

RE: Your New Words 07/25-07/231

Postby KGU » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:23 am

I use some of these but they aren't in the dictionary. Either I made them up or picked them up from someone else.

"perpetulate": someone who is always late.

"snortle":the noise someone makes when they half-laugh, half-snort.

"misclick": when you send an e-mail to the wrong person.

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:48 am

Glad to see Maria, Kristin and Kara chimed in. As promised, here's my list:

Sisduh: A female sibling who constantly says dumb things, leaving you to wonder, Are we really related?

Krelbow: The inner part of your elbow.

Stickees: People who attach bumper stickers to the rear of their car.

Dewamid: A pyramid of empty Mt. Dew cans that sits on your desk no matter how many times your boss asks you to remove it.

Celebrat: A person who tells you not to bring a present to their birthday party but doesn't mean it and, if you show up present-less, will spread nasty rumors about you to friends and family.

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:26 am

My wife mentioned one that her dad has used for years and I'd like to add to our list:

graple (gray' pel): When the candy or beverage is called grape but tastes
more like purple.

JohnOBX
Brigadier General

Postby JohnOBX » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:20 pm

1) schrimmel: (shrim-el)  physical reaction to an unpleasant experience or thought.

example:  "When the plumber bent over to and pulled the dead ferret out of my drain, I schrimmeled so bad I thought I was going to puke."

2) tula:  (too-la) an idiot, moron or nincompoop.  Somebody who seems to be going out of their way to make your life miserable.

example:  "That tula cut me off then slowed down to 20 miles per hour to read a map."

3) humpity-demon:  a dog that will dry hump your leg to the point of causing friction burns.

example:  Do I really need an example?

4) spoda: 1. (n) procrastiator, dawlder, laggarad

2. (v) to put off, delay, dally. Possibly from a severe contraction of "supposed to have done" or "supposed to do".

example: "John is a total spoda; he was going to mow the grass this morning but just screws around all day in the Writer's Digest Forums."

5. sandycap: (n) a large handful of sand, usually wet, placed on an unsuspecting person's head.

example:  "Hayden gave his sister a sandycap while we were on vacation and she's still got half the beach stuck in her hair."

--John

Roseblood
Private E-2

Postby Roseblood » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Eh...these are mine. Feel free to sprinkle them in your conversation at will and with great relish, but do give this somewhat weary lady in Mississippi the credit for them...okay? Okay.

1. plaguenancy - n. what happens when the worst kind of sorry, disease-ridden, inbred, no-count, redneck trash conceives.

2. divorjack - v. where respective divorce lawyers purposely pit their clients against each other to prolong the proceedings and maximize their fees.

3. divorsight - n. similar to hindsight, in that it is 20/20, and brings with it great angst. Usually occurs when the kid is sick, the first child support check is missed, and the ex buys a new set of wheels and moves in with his ho.

4. linguaflatulence - n. the habitual use of words incorrectly, especially with intent to impress listeners with the speaker's intelligence. Two common words subject to linguaflatulence are "momentarily" and "factoid." Nah, I ain't gonna tell you. YOU look it up. ;)

5. labipuffalumpt - adj. when a woman has had so many lip injections that she appears deformed and in pain.

WongTheConqueror

Postby WongTheConqueror » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:02 pm

tarditude (n): the "it's none of your business why I'm late" attitude

tenebral (adj): ephemeral yet of great psychological import

omgwtfbrbbbqftwlol (int): acronym expressing contempt for acronyms; from "Oh my God! What the f***?! Be right back, barbeque for the win! Laugh out loud!"

language (n): the boring stuff between emoticons and ASCII art

Maddoxical (adj): angrily favoring spite and puerile self-aggrandizement over traditional satirical devices

eagletom
Private E-2

Postby eagletom » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 pm

Here’s one from my brother and my best friend:

Mesthophil (mes-tho-fil) n. Meteorological term used to describe anything in the atmosphere, which has an unknown or unrecollected name.

“Will you look at that,” then with the back of the hand sliding over the mouth to muffle the word, “mesthophil up there.” Then quickly change the subject.

Here’s another from my fourteen year-old son:

Barfacation (barf-a-ca-shun) n. The most boring, lousy, stupid summer vacation ever.

“Hey, son. How’s summer vacation this year?”
“It’s barfacation! Like you know something!”

JohnOBX
Brigadier General

Postby JohnOBX » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:09 pm

Now that I've gotten started thinking about them, new words keep popping in my head at random moments. It's very distracting:

1. winfried (win-fried) v. When a guest appears on a talk show and gets his doors blow off by the host.

example: James Frey got winfried on Oprah over the lies he published in "A Million Little Pieces"

--John

primeweevil

five words

Postby primeweevil » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:12 am

Here is a thought provoking collection
Growngueenie
A dangleing participle that is engauged

hertwiztle
is a girl that has just been asked for a date

Undicass
Is a mule that has no owner

Tweenging or twanging
Is one mate thrilling the other

Inflatemeal
Is futureistic food
The food of the future can be bought today
soup: $30 a can

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:52 am

I haven't been able to craft my own, yet, so I'll just steal a couple I've heard.

From my son;
Butterrific: Adj.
Something (edible) that is heavily buttery and tastes terrific.

From my Pastor;
Weirdoism: N.
A new age doctrine that exploits anything weird.
(He just used the word, I gave it meaning).

I'll come up with my own, just give me a few months. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges