[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Your New Words 07/25-07/31 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your New Words 07/25-07/31

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:07 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:07 am

Your good friends at Merriam-Webster called and you've been asked to create five new words for inclusion in next year's dictionary. What are your five words? (Don't forget to include each word's definition.)

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

maria
Lieutenant

RE: Your New Words 07/25-07/231

Postby maria » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:17 am

Here's 3 for now:

Mused: When another writer steals your idea.
Cybosnack: The tasty treats your forum pals offer you.
Witicide: You commit this when your overly clever online comments come back to haunt you.

"I can't go back onto that forum, dude. I committed witicide there."
Maria Schneider (aka administrator)

kbielefe
Private E-1

Postby kbielefe » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:38 am

My words are autobiographical.

qwzjxky: adjective (quiz jax' key) Being willing to do almost anything to win at board games, including coining a word that may win a Scrabble game one day. As in, "I may be qwzjxky, but I'm not a sore loser."

shyrony: noun (shy' row knee) The state of being introverted, yet finding oneself often at the center of attention.

chronoblivious: adjective (kro no bliv' ee us) Being completely unaware of the time. As in, "That book was so good that I was chronoblivious until I finished reading it."

workwhack: verb (werk wack) To immediately drain someone of energy by reminding them of some labor they need to perform. As in, "I was feeling fine until my wife workwhacked me with the car repairs."

perpetupupil: noun (per pe' choo pyoo' pil) Someone who is always learning.

Bethywoo

Postby Bethywoo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:57 pm

1. Demenstrative, adj. Mean and cranky with no good reason.

2. Heliomanic, adj. Dependant on the sun.

3. Prijudide, n. Pride and prejudice.

4. Ernestophile, n. Someone obsessed with names; a name "stalker" (inspired by the play "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde. Two female characters are obsessed with the name "Ernest.")

5. Bruce, v. To cheat someone out of their salary.

sehnsucht

Postby sehnsucht » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:35 pm

I only have one right now

Chevillac - a person of chevy quality with a cadillac attitude - one who puts on airs - "That new cheerleader is a real chevillac, if you ask me." ;)

Darlene
Private E-1

New Words

Postby Darlene » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:12 pm

Mommified: When you feel as if your hands and mind are tied because of the chaos caused by your children. Example: "I would have finished that novel, but I was mommified."
Example 2: "Right in the middle of composing my most beautiful work of art, I was was mommified."

Semismart: When you think you know a lot about a subject, only to realize that you know very little. Example: "Sheila thinks she knows everything there is to know about being a writer. However, after today's poetry workshop, she realized that she's just semismart."

Haikued: When you have been writing for so long that your speech becomes impaired and you can only communicate in short, seemingly awkward sentences.
Example: "Margaret's obsession with writing kept her confined to her bed for days and her speech became increasingly haikued."

yudelka
Captain

RE: New Words

Postby yudelka » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:23 pm

Darlene
Private E-1

Postby Darlene » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:24 pm

Here's my contribution:
Mommified: When you feel your hands and mind are tied due to chaos caused by children. " I would have finished that novel, but I was terribly mommified."

Semismart: When you think you're knowledgeable on a subject only to realize that you know jack. "Susan thought she knew everything there was to know about poetry. However, after today's poetry workshop, she realized that she was only semismart."

Haikued: When you've been writing for so long that your speech becomes jumbled and comes out in short, seemingly awkward sentences. " Joe had become so obsessed with writing that he refused to eat and his speech became increasingly haikued."

Kristin
Private E-1

Postby Kristin » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:56 am

Here are a few I like, though I can't take credit for them:

scuzzins: Relatives you wish wouldn't show up to the family reunion--and they often don't, unless they can post bail.

magalanche: The pile of magazines that are routed through our office staff, yet we never have time to read. (That one's from former WD associate editor Lisa Wurster)

crapbooking: a hobby that constitutes ruining a perfectly good photo/book/piece of ephemera to create a piece of crap no one will care about but you. (Sorry, Robin!) :)

kdg

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges