Create Your Own Holiday 07/11-07/17

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
PeeperS

RE: Create Your Own Holiday 07/11-07/17

Postby PeeperS » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:13 pm

being a huge Osmond fan, I think they should have an Osday. And I'm NOT talking Osbourne...

Since they have been entertianing for over 40 years, I think that would only be suffice. They've given alot to their fans, so I think we should have a day just for them!

An Osmond fan for life
PeeperS

amcresume
Private E-1

Postby amcresume » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:24 pm

I take my hat off to all the brave souls, men and women alike, who are serving our country to bring us back as one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. We should always remember September 11th on our calendars, in our hearts, and in our prayers.

screenmom
Private E-2

Postby screenmom » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:01 pm

I think we should institute a National Admit It Day. This refreshing and desperately needed holiday would see CEOs and public officials admitting their crimes, ineptitudes and indiscretions. Imagine the IRS finally admitting that no one in the entire department has a clue how the tax code works. Imagine certain A list celebrities admitting that they have nothing of value to offer their fans, not even talent. Imagine 24 hours of unvarnished honesty from our elected officers. Now the caveat here would be that anything admitted on National Admit It Day could not be used against the company or individual in a court of law, but hopefully it would train the public memory to be longer than the nanosecond it is. Maybe create a memory that remains intact until the next election or stock holders meeting. It may take a while but I'm sure Hallmark, DeBeers and the flower industry will figure out a way to cash in on this holiday too. I can already see the adorable little chocolates on display, all saying"I knew the gun was loaded" and "Mafioso puppet" and "I inhaled!" on their foil wrappers.

Camrose
Private E-1

Postby Camrose » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:21 pm

I'd create a moveable Monday holiday in June so we can have another long weekend during the summer. It would be celebrated in both Canada and the U.S.

I'd call it "National Keep On Keeping-On Day". It's the day we celebrate ourselves and anyone else who just keeps slogging along in pursuit of a dream, regardless of the voices of inner and outer critics.

Yay, us!

Keep on keeping on! :)

wac2h

Postby wac2h » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:50 pm

I can think of a holiday that would make the world a better place, better than Christmas even. National Nap-Time, where everybody has to take a nap. Think about how happy everyone would be? How relaxed? The six a clock grinde would be a joyride from the sixties, without the help of drugs. Funny thing about naps is that they actually help your performance for the remainder of the day. So not only will people be happy, but more productive. What could be better?

Aireal

Postby Aireal » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:53 pm

Now I know this wouldn't be really a holiday that everyone can take at the same time, but I think it's worth a thought. I think everyone's birthday should be considered a holiday. Granted some people already take this day off, but I think if it's considered a actually "holiday", and not just another day or a vacation day, it would make an already special day even more special.

:)

juju461

Postby juju461 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:20 am

Being one of millions who must drive a significant distance to work each day, I would say the President should give us a new holiday given just to allow us all to stay home and give us a break from the nearly daily refueling of our vehicles.
To name it, I guess I would call it NO DRIVE DAY!
Can't think of a fancy name this early in the morning but I sure would love to see the gas stay in my car for just one day.

Judy

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:31 am

I think we should have a holiday, right after school is out for the summer, called, "Because I'm the Parent, that's Why." I think parents have gotten so "politically correct" that it would be a great reminder for all children, all parents, and anyone who ever was, will be, or isn't! I think it would remind kids who actually is the boss. I think it would remind parents that they're the ones responsible. I think it would remind anyone who used to be (grandma & grandpa) how wonderful that they don't have that responsibility any longer, and prospective parents could be excited to think that someday, they get to be the boss! But the ones who would benefit most from the holiday are the ones who aren't parents or will never be, because they are the ones that have all the answers, and they need to remind themselves that it's not really their place to interfere or suggest or criticize, even if they're sure they could do it better! :o

Roseblood
Private E-2

Postby Roseblood » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:28 pm

In a world grown grittingly boring with "me, me, me" and magnanimous philanthropic gestures smelling suspiciously like self-aggrandizement, I'd like a holiday called "International Secret Blesser Day." It would be dedicated to blessing others without revealing the source. The media could promote it with man-on-the-street interviews questioning citizens how they were celebrating, with the caveat that no one's name or face be revealed. The interviews would help spark ideas in others to follow suit. One day would be filled with secret smiles on faces everywhere.

The optimist me thinks that all we need is a bit of encouragement like this to shake off our selfish motivations. My slightly cynical pessimist insists that we're not all that noble, and that competition amongst philanthrophists isn't altogether a bad idea. Ideally and Biblically, one should bless with the left hand and not let the right hand know it. However, if people waited to give until they evolved enough to give in the proper manner, then babies would starve to death.

Post-Katrina here in Mississippi, a flurry of celebrities competed with each other in generous gifts to rebuild our tattered state. I doubt any of us gave a rip about the motivation behind the gifts. Food is food. Shelter is shelter. When one is without either, one hardly questions the motives of the giving hands. One is simply tearfully grateful. From the standpoint of the needy, surely the "why" does NOT matter when the need is being met. Thank God for those who met and continue to meet our needs. Rebuilding will take many years.

Let's suppose, though, that the "why" is of ultimate importance to the giftor. When a giftor receives great recognition for a gift, he/she receives little more than a tax write-off and fleeting publicity. The good feeling from doing such a highly-publicized good deed evaporates quickly and is gone. The soul is left the same as it was before the gift, dry as rustly leaves. As Jesus said of the limelight-loving Pharisees and their seeming generosities, "they have received their reward." On the other hand, giving without recognition has prolonged soul-moistening power. Secret gifting sinks deeply into the giftor's heart, and lingers there. It whispers "well done." The fact of it resounds solidly in every fiber of the giftor's being. That one selfless gift becomes an ongoing gift to the giftor, in secret smiles for years to come. It is what character feels like.

I like to think that we hunger for this sort of resonance and character in ourselves, and only need gentle reminders. An International Secret Blesser Day would do that. I can only imagine the repercussions of millions of people secretly blessing others the entire world over on one day a year. It would have to change us.

4thtroika
Sergeant

Postby 4thtroika » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:04 am

National Cuddle Day

A day for those of us that desperately deserve and need cuddling.

Cuddle centers would be opened in every city across the nation, with licensed cuddlers (both male and female) on standby for 24 hours.

Experts would go on all the major news shows to expound on the benefits of cuddling, with demonstrations.

Buttons, bumper stickers, and t-shirts proclaiming "Have you had a cuddle today?"

Culminating in a live broadcast on all the major networks: Cuddlepalooza. The biggest massive group cuddle in the world.

To be followed immediately by Ticklepalooza. The biggest massive tickle fight in the world. The official start of National Tickle Day. For those desperately in need of a good tickle. Kitchy-Koo! ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges