10 Things Before You Die - 7/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Gloriana
Private E-1

Re: 10 Things Before You Die - 7/12

Postby Gloriana » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:57 pm

10. Make peace with as much of my estranged birth family as I can, even if that peace is made strictly inside my own mind.
09. Visit 'House On The Rock' in Wisconsin.
08. Gain my own financial independence for the first time in my life, and then give a ton back.
07. Create my own loving family unit, biological connections or not.
06. Buy my own home- lock, stock, and barrel, and decorate it how I like without giving a poop unicorns and rainbows about resale value.
05. Find my voice, in writing and in life.
04. Explore The United States at my own pace on a long road trip.
03. Trace my family tree and find out about my roots.
02. Publish.
01. Find my place in the world.
"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Re: 10 Things Before You Die - 7/12

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:54 pm

You all aspire to do so many wonderful things. I remember well those desires at age 15. To be in love with the boy next door, who was meant for me forever my soul mate, as they say now.
To marry the right man and have a happy life together.
To travel the USA and/or several foreign countries.
To finish my education.
To become debt free.
To own a beach house.
To own a home of my own.
To make peace with my estranged family.
To live to be eighty and/or beyond.

Well, my dear dreamers and achievers at the age of eighty, there is not too much left for me to desire. So to reiterate:

At fifteen I was a dreamer in love with our neighbor's son. I wrote about that and will have to pull it up out of my collection and post it.
At the age of eighteen, I was too cosmopolitan for the boy next door and married a very handsome WWII sailor. We had three children, built the dream house we could afford, and I thought it would never end. Then hard times hit. Bad economic changes and love flew out the window, lost job, health problems, and then a divorce. After eleven years came twenty-five years of raising three children alone.

I've owned five houses during my lifetime, including one in Florida. I now live on a lake with sixteen acres of wooded land in northern Wisconsin.

Yes, I took trips with the children. We saw Washington D.C. the day before Martin Luther King spoke at the Lincoln Memorial. I have pictures of how the "Poor people" put up rags, boards or whatever they had along the banks of the Reflecting Pond, running their sewage into it. I never saw such desecration of something which should have been kept as a national shrine. I was a struggling single woman at that time trying to keep a roof over my children and my head. However, when I looked at that, deep in my heart I could not tolerate such disrespect for themselves and government property. I have always felt that if there is a will, there is a way even if that work would consist of scrubbing floors (which I have also done). In life one will learn to do what must be done.

As for other travels, I have been to two foreign countries and traveled or visited almost every state in our wonderful union,

In my heart, I have made peace with my adversaries. We can't always be right and we can't always be wrong. I prayed and sought forgiveness and I forgave as well. I have one daughter who chooses to live her own life apart from the family. At 58 that is her choice and she has every right to live her life as she desires. My heart will love her always, but it is difficult at times not to see her and hear her delightful laugh.

Even at eighty, I don't think one will ever become debt free. There is always something that will arise and screw up your wonderful plans or entice you into one more wonderful adventure.

There is, however, one desire which I have not attained. I have not won the jackpot lottery yet. However, when I do before I die, you will certainly hear about it. So live each day as it presents itself to you and tomorrow will turn out to be another adventure. My very best to all of you.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges