[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
10 Things Before You Die - 7/12 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

10 Things Before You Die - 7/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

10 Things Before You Die - 7/12

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 am

sns3guppy
Private E-2

Re: 10 Things Before You Die - 7/12

Postby sns3guppy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Just ten things to do before I die. Only ten? Not eleven, not twenty? My life mission is simplified. Perhaps I can expire early. So little to do and so much time to do it. The tantalizing possibility of setting my goals low and then having the rest of my life as one long day off isn't easy to ignore. I already make a practice of giving up everything I don't own (and will never have) for lent, to go easy on myself, and I'm not even catholic. Surely I can think of ten things I'll do anyway, every day, and get it all out of the way now. I know there's a lot that I don't care if I ever do before I die (and don't expect to undertake afterward). Like a sculptor, then, perhaps I need only eliminate the won'ts and nevers and I'll be left with a few select gotta-do's.

Before I die, I fully intend to never attempt to scale Mt. Everest. I've seen videos of others doing it, and even read books about attempts, disasters, stunning achievements, and remarkable feats of human spirit on the mountain. If I can go my entire life and never set foot on the mountain, I shall have accomplished my goal. I'm getting started on it right now.

I'm a skydiver. I find freefall relaxing. My goal, before I die, is to never die in a parachute incident. I've had close calls. Failed parachutes, malfunctions, reserve rides. These happen. I once resided in intensive care following a parachute failure. My bucket list, if you will, is to never kick the bucket while wearing a parachute. This is perhaps best accomplished by never wearing a parachute, but if one can't live dangerously, then why live at all?

I intend to continue breathing until I'm dead. This is easier said than done, of course. Asthma, drowning, choking on asparagus, or the inadvertent locking of one's self in a vacuum chamber are all roadblocks to this goal, but thus far I'm on a very steady track. To this very day, I have continued to breathe regularly (albeit on occasion with some difficulty), and coincidentally I haven't yet died. I can nearly check this goal off the list.

I'd like to have at least one mind-blowing sexual experience in this lifetime that's so wonderful in nature that I lose consciousness. That has never happened, but I'm stubborn if not persistent, and I'm willing to doggedly pursue that goal until the bitter end. More research is in order.

Before I die, I would like to see one more sunrise. I plan on starting work on this one tomorrow morning. In fact, I plan on renewing this goal daily, on an indefinite basis. It may put a damper on dying, but it may also allow more study time to research goal number four.

I would like to be the King of Norway. Just once.

Prior to the shedding of this mortal coil, I must establish the legacy of running a dachshund farm. I'm still developing the little plow harnesses and a milking station, but given enough sunrises, it's a do-able goal in this lifetime. Alternately, I'm exploring the concept of simply not dying. I realize it might invalidate the list, but any port in a storm.

Before I die, I would like to never own a BMW car. In my ongoing quest to forgo being a young urban professional, I am well on my way to avoiding yuppiedom by steadfastly steering clear of fern bars, not being young, and having nothing to do with ownership or operation of BMW products.

During the life I have remaining, I fully intend to mail a letter using a first class stamp.

At some point, hopefully well before I buy the proverbial farm, it is my sincere hope to take a picture of a wooden boat.

Finally, before I die, I hope to write my epitaph, along the lines of "He came, he saw, he ate a peanut butter sandwich." I'm truthful if not sincere, and must cut short my list of ten items to do before I die at number ten, if I’m to make and eat a peanut butter sandwich. Priorities. After that, I can die happily, having never climbed Everest in a BMW stuffed with wiener dogs while wearing a Nordic crown atop a crumpled parachute, while holding a plate of asparagus. The sex will have to wait. So much time, and so little to do.

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:16 pm

This is a great subject and it can tell so many things about a person. And it can be asked at the beginning of life or near the end, and it is amazing to see wut desires change as time goes by and which stay the same. But i must answer from my young school girl heart.
1. Before i die, my greatest desire is to marry the man that i love. I know it seems silly, me being only fifteen and dreaming of marrying the boy i am with now, but i love him so much and he loves me. I've only been with him for 4 months, but it feels like i've known him my entire life, and maybe from lives before this one. I want to always be his. And he to always be mine.
2. My passion is in my heart and my soul craves to write. I have been writing my entire life and i will become a published writer before the day i die. And i know it will be before than. My goal is that i will be published before the age of 29. I will be a writer.
3. If you havn't already noticed by my username, i will tell you a secret, but u must not speak it. I believe in Unicorns with all my heart, soul, and mind. My dream is to meet a Unicorn before i die. I will go to the Percynian Forest in Germany, the one last foundation untouched by humanity and i will find the divine Unicorn. But you will never know that i have completed this goal, because it will remain a secret within myself. The Unicorns are hiding so that we can believe in them if they are revealed logic will determine their existance instead of belief and that will destroy them. I will keep the Magickal Unicorn's secret.
4. I will graduate high school in the top ten percent and go to UTA with my best friend/Soul Twin, Hina. And we will be twins forever.
5. I will visit Ireland. The Land of the Celts. I will learn every aspect of their ancient civilization and modern world. I will also visit the temple of the Mother Goddess, Brighid.
6. I will find the sacred wardrobe that leads one to Narnia and I will go on many adventures with the Narnians.
7. I will buy a chocolate swimming pool. It will be so yummy in my tummy.
8. I will go sky diving over the Atlantic Ocean and land in the water, only to be carried away by good mermaids, happily finding Plato's sacred written city of Atlantis.
9. I will find a way to travel to the moment in which Humphrey Bogart was still alive and was Rick in Casablanca and meet the greatest actor of all time that is Bogie.
10. I will die at a very old age, happy and surrounded by all that I love.
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:13 am

TEN THINGS TO DO BEFORE I DIE…..
1. Write a best seller.
2. Buy a beach house.
3. Travel through Europe.
4. Complete the genealogy of my family tree. (At least as far back as I can)
5. Parasail.
6. Become debt free.
7. Win the lottery (jackpot).
8. Become fluent in several languages.
9. Learn how to play the guitar well.
10. Write and compose music.

LittleEden
Sergeant

Postby LittleEden » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:28 am

#1 is to become the woman I have always wanted to be.

The other 9 will change as I achieve goal #1.

InspirationalSayings
Private E-1

Postby InspirationalSayings » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Michael Joshua

Bridgetoo
Private E-1

Postby Bridgetoo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:30 pm

I have more than ten things but I'll stick to 10.

1. Travel through Europe.
2. Drive a zamboni.
3. Have one of my novels published.
4. Live to be at least 90.
5. Meet the Backstreet Boys. (Fine I'll admit it :oops: ).
6. Scuba dive
7. Go white water rafting.
8. Be in a parade.
9. Be a keynote speaker.
10. See the ball drop in New York on New Year's (Any year).

Kabashi
Private E-1

Postby Kabashi » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:32 am

The list that I have in mind is around twenty. However, because of the topic at hand, I'll just list ten realistic goals.

1. Achieve a bachelor degree in business administration and marketing.
2. Open up business in middle or large shopping area
3. Finding three jobs to lower down my student loans
4. Go on at least one date
5. Go on a daring adventure (Sky diving, etc)
6. Create one manga and submit it
7. Write a personal letters to my family (any subjects)
8. Volunteer and raise fund for homeless center, animal shelters or after school programs.
9. Write two fictional stories on fan-fiction website
10. Mend and repair my back bone and speak out.

EcoBeauty
Private First Class

Postby EcoBeauty » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:58 am

In the midst of writing this list, I've come to realize that I didn't have much to look forward to in life. Now that I think about it, there's more to life than just getting an education and staying put at a simple job. It's the little and even bigger things in life that make up my list.

1. Publish a novel.

2. Write a memoir.

3. Have a body I'm happy with.

4. Become known in some way.

5. Finish high school.

6. Finish university.

7. Learn martial arts.

8. Become a writer.

9. Learn Chinese.

10. Travel to countries I'm interested in (i.e. China, Trinidad, Korea, Japan, America, etc.).

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Well, my, my, my, Hannah, have things changed or what? Our priorities are different, our friendships have changed, but there are still a few things that have remained the same. Here's my new list. It's alot simpler. I realized that I don't need to elaborate so excessively on a bucket list.

1. I will become a famous writer.
2. I will marry a man who loves me for everything that I am. He will not be an abuser like the boyfriends of the past, but instead he will be my Prince Charming, my true love, the person I am meant to be with. Maybe he'll even be the Chad from my dreams or a hunky John Smith. :).
3. Just as my Mommy always tells me, "I have to get older, but I don't have to grow up", I will always be young at heart. From now to the time that I am eighty and beyond, I will always be a dreamer. The land of fairytales will always be my home. I will never stop believing in all things magical; from my precious unicorns to those peculiar fairies and those mysterious mermaids, all will exist in my heart and mind. Forever will I indulge in Disney's timeless legacy and eternally will I allow my imagination to rule my life.
4. I will graduate from high school, perhaps not with the greatest grades or highest class rank, and be accepted into University of North Texas in Denton by blowing the judges away with my creative, profound, insightful, and thought provoking admission essay.
5.I will change the world... one word at a time. :).
6. My best friend (since 7th grade), Alexis, and I will get an apartment together after our second year at seperate colleges and then after we each marry the man of our dreams, we will buy houses near each other so that we can be neighbors and remain best friends forever.
7. I will somehow, someway, meet the magical unicorn, even if that means traveling to a different world...
8. I will visit Greece and all of its classical beauty. But most of all, if I am permitted, I will spend a night in the Parthenon, just staring up at the stars all night long, watching the moon, speaking to the universe, welcoming wisdom, and praising Athena in her heart pounding glory.
9. I will discover Atlantis but I will keep it a secret.
10. I will hug a grizzley bear. I have always wanted a literal bear hug. I love the metaphor, but it is just not the same.
11. I will one day have three beautiful children, hopefully with the names: Katya Athene, Iris Rose, and Brandon Odysseus. :). It is they who I will pass my ability to dream onto and then, one day, you will see their name in the times for they will be prodigeous, sage, imaginative, and inspirational as they change the world just like their mother.
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges