[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Message on a Dollar 5/30-6/5 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Message on a Dollar 5/30-6/5

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue May 30, 2006 9:16 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue May 30, 2006 9:16 am

You're at your favorite department store buying a birthday present for a friend. As the cashier gives you change, you notice a message with specific instructions scribbled on one of the bills. What did the instructions say? Did you carry them out and, if so, how?

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

PizzaLisa
Private E-1

RE: Message on a Dollar 5/30-6/5

Postby PizzaLisa » Tue May 30, 2006 11:49 am

Dear Friend,

Happy Birthday! I'm really sorry that you're getting this piece of notebook paper as your birthday present. But, as I was standing in line to purchase your gift, I noticed one of the bills had some instructions scribbled on them.

The instructions said: Save Me!

So, I did.

Have a great birthday.

Much love,
Me.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue May 30, 2006 12:49 pm

That's hilarious, PizzaLisa!  Great sense of humor.

Welcome to the boards, too.

impower

Postby impower » Tue May 30, 2006 1:03 pm

As I straightened the crumpled twenty-dollar bill I was able to read a barely legible message: “Take me to the nearest coffee shop and buy yourself the richest, freshest desert you can find there. Then sit by the window and see what happens.” Pressed on time, with my friend’s birthday dinner, I was not sure how to react. Under normal circumstances I would follow my adventurous nature to the coffee shop per these instructions but, stressed as I was, I decided against it. Suddenly my cell-phone went off. It was the birthday girl, telling me that her flight was two hours late and that I had to call the shuttle company to change her pick up time.

While rapidly dialing the shuttle company, I proceeded to exit the store. On the street facing me was a brightly lit neon sign “Venti Café”. I looked at the twenty-dollar bill still in my hand and crossed the street.

As I entered the coffee shop, I was greeted by smell of freshly baked pastry and recently brewed coffee. It was small but very busy establishment. I looked around and noticed that both window tables were occupied. “Oh well,” I said to myself and walked over to purchase my treats.

The crispy clear display seductively invited patrons into delightful world of deserts. My choice of deadly weapon was éclair covered with thick layer of dark glossy chocolate and filled with creamy custard. The woman behind the counter poured me a large cup of coffee and asked if I wanted anything else. I gave the display another lustful look and declined with a sad smile. The twenty-dollar bill left was release from my hand and deposited itself into the “Venti Café” cash register.

With my hands full I turned to look for a seat. One of the window tables was now unoccupied. I set myself on the still warm chair, took a small sip of coffee and lifted éclair of the plate. I could already taste its sweetness and was about to sink my teeth into it, when I saw a small white dog in the middle of the street frantically trying to reach the other side.

When my éclair landed back on the plate, I was already outside waving my arms to the cars in desperation to save the little dog. Thank God for my bright red coat which caught drivers’ attention. I reached for the shivering little pooch and lifted him into my arms. He was covered mud and practically weightless. He looked in my eyes and his fate was decided. It was the beginning of a new friendship.

As I walked back into the coffee shop still holding the pooch in my arms, I asked the proprietor if I she still had the twenty-dollar bill I gave her. She checked the register and shook her head. “I must’ve given it to somebody with their change,” she said. I couldn’t help but smile and walked out into the no longer lonely world.

Luthiea

Postby Luthiea » Tue May 30, 2006 11:20 pm

The instruction read, "Go to the café across the road.”

It was unsigned and there was no indication of when it was written. It could have been written some years ago for all I knew but something told me the instruction was meant for me. As I stared at the bill, I wondered if I should follow the instruction. There was after all a café across the road from the department store and I was free for the rest of the day.

My curiosity won out in the end so I made my way to the quiet little café that was situated on the corner of a very busy street. As I stepped into the café, I was struck by how familiar everything looked. It was as if I had flipped back the pages of my life and had landed in a memory that was very dear to me.

A slight cough diverted my attention to the counter and to my surprise, the man I never thought I’d see again stood there with a familiar grin.

I sighed and wondered if I had gotten out of the wrong side of bed this morning. It was just like Lady Luck to drop the guy I detested in school right on top of my head.

chakahair
Private E-1

Postby chakahair » Wed May 31, 2006 4:22 am

As Ted handed the barista one dollar for his usual extra-small Sumatra blend coffee--black, he noticed the tail end of it written with Sharon’s thick scroll. “Wait a minute, can I have that back?” The skinny blonde guy held the dollar with a rumpled pose. “Ok-ay. I guess.” He handed it back as if that made all the rest of his movements halt forever. He crossed his arms with a pimpled stare at Ted. “Here, I have another one.” Ted searched his wallet and handed another dollar to the skinny boy. “Thanks. Your drink will be at the end of the counter when it’s ready.” As the boy restored to his mechanistic prowess, Ted slunk to the end of the counter. He had grabbed the dollar, but crumpled it into his palm without looking. He had a sinking feeling as he noticed the scribble filling half of the end. It should have been one short word if Sharon communicated anything to him.
He usually rushed across the street to his office once he had his coffee, but this time he hunched into a corner table. He finally released the crumpled bill to examine the writing. “I’m sorry honey, my answer has to be no. Please forgive me. I’m just not ready for such a big step.” Ted slammed his fist on the table. Zombie-like customers in the line formed around the counter all turned to view Ted. He crumpled even more and threw the dollar onto the sticky Starbucks floor. With a huge intake of breath, he slowly walked out of the café, passing Sharon’s best friend, Margot, on the way out. Instead of questioning why Margot was in his neighborhood at 7:30 A.M., he only nodded, not wanting her to see small tears forming.
“What did she say?” Margot yelled after him.

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Wed May 31, 2006 10:20 am

smiley10000

Postby smiley10000 » Wed May 31, 2006 10:25 am

I noticed there were a lot of "first post"ers doing this writing prompt.

Seems we found something to make the lurkers come out of the woodwork.

Welcome all! I have been enjoying your Money Messages... *waves enthusiastically*

smiley10000

Postby smiley10000 » Wed May 31, 2006 10:49 am

I perused the aisles in search of the perfect gift. I couldn't believe she invited me to her party! I barely even know her. Hmm, what to buy, what to buy.

I found a pair of fluffy pink bunny slippers in my price range. The ears wiggled as I wandered to the cashier. "That'll be twenty-three dollars and seventy-five cents," the cashier announced, "would you like it wrapped as a gift?" I nodded as she handed me my change.

I dropped the quarter in my change purse and was about to slip the dollar bill in my wallet when I noticed it was nearly falling apart. "This is ridiculous. Can I have another bill?" I asked the cashier.

"Oops, sorry, I just closed the register. You could wait if you want for the next customer paying cash." I looked around the deserted department store. I was already late!

"Uch! Forget it!" I said, grabbing my package and rushing to the exit. I thrust the bill in my jacket pocket. I could try and tape it later.

Later came. I pulled the bill from my jacket and placed it on the desk before me. The scotch tape poised and ready to do its work. The bill was tattered and wrinkled. I un-creased the edges and began the repair. Something in red caught my eye.

Across the face of some dead president was a poem written in a tiny hand.
I want to help
anyone that I can.
I want to do
good for my fellow man.
Pass me forward, do it for free
And you can help and do something special for me.

I stared at the words in front of me. Carefully I taped the dollar bill repairing it as best I could. It was time to go. I returned the bill to my pocket and ran out of the house.

The Subway station was packed with people heading to their evening amusements. A man sat on the floor strumming a guitar and crooning Bob Dylan songs. The travelers rushed passed him, barely noticing the open guitar case. As I walked by, my dollar bill fluttered to the case finding its new home with another.

"Hey, thanks!"

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges