[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Tell Santa You've Been Good 6/6-6/12 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Tell Santa You've Been Good 6/6-6/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
pvinlskallinda
Sergeant First Class

RE: Tell Santa You've Been Good 6/6-6/12

Postby pvinlskallinda » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:31 pm

Dear Santa,

I have been exceptionally good, everything else was just research for my novel.  Do you think you could fit a big fat publisher in my stocking?

Thank You,

Italiandreamer
Private E-1

Postby Italiandreamer » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:41 pm

Dear Jack,
Good luck taking down your Christmas lights. And Santa, all I want for Christmas is a new laptop. ALso, the book called "How to Start a Story for Dummies" would be very helpful. I have started 100 stories on my computer (I'm not joking!) but bever finished them. Hmm.... <3

Eironia
Private E-1

Postby Eironia » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:31 pm

The scritch-scritch-scritch of nib on heavy paper makes a sharp counterpoint to the soft guttering of the candle.  The flickering light makes my uneven script crawl many-legged, in spiders of wet ink silently writhing.  Santa will know the extra effort I put in.  I sign my name with a flourish and sit back.

"And that's how I saved the orphan's cat while burning down the secret hideouts of a terrorist group and rescuing the economy . . ."

And if he knows your effort, he'll know you're lying through your teeth.  I crumple the page, squishing the lying spiders, and touch the corner of the paper to the flame before remembering the smoke alarm.  "Well, shoot!" 

My wastebasket smoulders faintly as I flick on the light and begin another letter.

"Dear Santa,

I have been extra good this year.  I helped Ma put together that bed, and I haven't had a cross word with my brother (ok, so I haven't talked to him, but you know that score), and I drove my hurt friend to the doctor, and I haven't cussed, not even when I fell through the shed floor . . ."

You're trying too hard.  This effort joins the first, creating a cheerful orange glow in the trash can.  I stamp on it frantically and fire up my computer.  While Windows awakes, I have plenty of time to chase my muse down.  A speech, this time.  I can fly up there and deliver it in person.

The printer whirs and hums, the sounds of progress filling in the silence left behind the smoke alarms.

I scan my work, but as too often happens, it isn't as good as I thought it was.  Darn good closing, though.  "Ladies and gentle-elves of the jury, Honorable Claus, I would like to say in closing that while I wish my stocking filled as much as the next person, I also do wish for joy to the world, and white Christmases, and . . ."   No, not good after all.

The speech lands atop the letters' ashes with a soft susurration.  The whisper is like the sound of my giving up.  I open another Word document:

"To Mr. S. Claus,

My record notwithstanding, and my erstwhile explanations aside - although I still maintain my lack of guilt! - I am now resigned to my fate.  But can I please make one, just one, little request about my stockingful of punishment?

To go with the times, instead of a lump of coal, could I have a five-gallon can of gasoline?  I don't have a fireplace to hang a stocking from anyhow, so it won't be a fire hazard. 

My thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

-Jenny"

It'll work.  The printer again hums, and the smoke alarm shrieks protest when I light my stick of wax to seal the letter.  The way things are going, the gas'll be worth more than any toys I could ask for.

Whistling, I wend my way to the mailbox.  What's one fuel or another to him, more or less?  And if he buys it, I have five whole months to deserve more punishment.  Grinning fiendishly, I lift the flag and return to the house to plot.

smiley10000
Private E-2

Postby smiley10000 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:54 am

bronxsurfer
Private E-1

Postby bronxsurfer » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:46 am

Santa, I agree I need to buckle up my overall straps and stop giving lip service and show some action. I guess that's why you withheld my gift last year. I understand the high criteria established to appear on the good list and I hope my deeds this year will prove I desire to be on it.
This gift would personally and professionally boost my everyday living. It would help me go places I never image existed. I hope this year my good deeds are viewed in a postiive light and not a scheme to look good in your eyes to get this gift. As a human, I fail more than I succed in becoming a better person but the fog thins, my eyes open allowing me to interact with the world with more grace and understanding.
Santa, here's my list. I know you'll check it twice and please remember each listing is done or will be done with the purest of thought and heart.
* Allowing my mother to live with me in my one bedroom apartment as she plays "saving for retirement game."
* Help friend at work with advice and a understanding ear when the job gives her grief.
*Agrre to overlook missed rent or lowered rent from my new roommate in order for her to save money to move out.
* Visit my niece and buy her clothes.
*Researchg housing availabilites and different types of housing for mother.
*Not kicking my mother out when her behavior got out of hand during those first few months.
Future Good Deeds
* Volunteer around the holidays either at a soup kitchen or animal shelter.
* Hire cleaning service for mother when she gets her own place.
* Help friend at work with job opportunities and writing resumes.
* Write uplifting stories for elementary and middle school kids.

O.K. Santa, I've laid it honest on paper for your review and judgement. I hope to see your answer wrap in red and gold ribbons come Christmas morning.

riverstone
Colonel

Postby riverstone » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:03 pm

Santa,

Thank you for the coal I got in my stocking last Christmas. Although we have total electric heat, it's the thought that counts, and you must have thought long and hard before you hauled that big chunk of dirty, crumbly black stone all the way up on the roof. I plan to wrap it up and give it to Grandma this year as I gave her the fruitcake from last year's stocking this Christmas, and she had tears in her eyes as she thanked me.

It wasn't my fault. It was my big brother. Whatever you keep hearing about me is totally false. My brother is a total jerk, and he never lets me play with his toys. If you would think about that, maybe you would bring me something decent this year instead of the lamebrain jumk you've been doling out the last few years.

I plan on being extra good this year. I am going to make my bed every day in December, and I'm going to stop drinking out of the milk bottle when my Mom is in the kitchen. If you hear I've been naughty, it's a big lie. You can't believe anything my brother says. He always gets his way, and Mom likes him the best. When I hit him over the head with the broom handle, he deserved it. He made fun of my Easy Bake Oven. He said only a stupid girl would try to bake a cake with a lightbulb.

I love you Santa.

All I really want this year is a nice big check from a publisher. Yours truly,

P.S. If the problem is the cookies I left you, I could get some from the store so you won't have to eat my Mom's baking.

myfair_98
Private E-1

Postby myfair_98 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:06 am

Dear Santa,
I intend to do everything everyone asks of me this year. Everything that is good and nothing that is bad! I have always done everything anyone asked me to do. I’m a doormat! So, please Santa, go ahead – wipe your big, shiny, black boots on me just like everyone else.

Your Servant [who seems to be having a mid-life crisis!!!!!],

Terri

debo
Private E-2

Postby debo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:54 am

Dear Santa,
Mama thinks you got confused las year count of we moved so you couldn bring me nothing. But I figure you knew bout me n Keisha takin that gum only I didn think it would of counted cos we only did it cos Darrin dared us an we wouldn of done it of our own. So lissen I gotta explain bout those cigarette cos see I just ment to flush em down so Jase wouldn know what happen an I didn plan to try any you know only I jus got cureyus an anyway I didn finish it and I did throw it out.
An I didn mean to lie bout goin to Keishas house only I got scared cos Mama so mad at Keishas Mom cos she bin preachin at her so much. But see Keisha keep talking bout church so much an I never been in no church before  an I jus wanna see if that ol lady really give all the kids candy like Keisha say she do and she DO an it so sweet! so please Santa don’t count that one okay.
An Santa don’t count what I said to Mamas boyfren yesterday cos if he try to do that to you I think youd saythat too and Santa by the way, can you ever take away things besides give em? Cos if you would take John away forever now THAT would be a wonderful present.
Now what I want, really really I want a bicycle this year. It don have to be so fine like Keishas but if it could be pink that odd be so cool but blue okay too and it don hafta be new but if it just works okay Thank You. And it could have a white basket too
Anyway your probly wondering why I’m writing so early and that’s cos I want you to watch careful and see how good I’m gonna be now. So I wont cut cross Miz Morris yard to get to school no more so I wont be the death of her like she allus say. An I’m gonna take my bath on time every night without Mama remindin me only if I do forget sometime that’s okay aint it. An I’ll learn all my spelling words. I’ll work real hard on it this year and I promise. I promise I wont never take no more gum and I don’t care what Darrin hafta say bout it. And when I see you in the mall even if your beard dirty I wont laugh at all.
An I’ll write you again when I think of other stuff.
So please bring my bike this year. Its 2408 Chelsea Street and if we do move again I’ll give you my address.
Hugs and Kisses,
Lisa

Edna Herstein
Private E-1

Postby Edna Herstein » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:59 pm

Last year, by Christmas I wanted to be a paid, published writer. That did not happen, although I tried to be good and kind most of the time. I wrote often, with some good ideas. The stories were put in folders and neatly marked, 'Writing 2005.'

Then I worked on another article. No magazine called to say, "Edna, send us a story about a personal experience." None of the fitness magazine editors asked for an article about good health or exercise. My work just laid in my files.

I wondered if it was because those editors didn't know I had them safely in a folder(I suspect, for prevention of failure.) Maybe magazine bosses don't have the poower to 'just know' that I had already written these words of wisdom.

This year my goal is the same: to be published and paid by the end of the year. But the route I'm traveling to get there is different. Signing up for a 'Writing for Publication' class was the first hurdle. Each week people read their stories. The teacher, a colleger professor, leads the group in critiquing the writing. For several weeks, I just sat and observed. Not really taking part, but filling a chair. Still I kept writing. Finally, I read a short story. I was very nervous. I was sure mine was not up to the standard set by the other reader's I'd heard. But , the class was gentle. My article had flaws, but it didn't really stink. Maybe just a little odor.

A suggestion given to improve my writing was to be careful of the tense. "Stay consistent all the way through a written piece." Another was to stay focused. "Don't take off on a rabbit trail if it's not pertinent to the over all theme."

Encouraging words were voiced too. "You have a creative way of putting words together." Another advantage I possess is that I have good ideas to corporate into stories.

After surviving the critiquing of my first reading, I gained a mountain of confidence. Now I read about twice a month.

In a recent class the teacher praised my progression to this point. She told the class, "Edna's writing has improved much in the year she has been with us.

I have taken hold of the protective shield I had around my writing and put it in the garbage. I'm now sending my articles out to chosen editors. I've found that paper rejections do not sting as much as eyeball to eyeball.

At the present time I have approximately eight stories lying on different ediotr's desks waiting for their attention. Good, I hope. If not, I have another list of names to direct the stories to keep them from just taking up space.

I can see the small glimmer of light at the end of this writing tunnel. My aim is to reach it without the help of Santa Claus.

queenb

Postby queenb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:32 pm

Last year, Santa didn't bring you what you wanted for Christmas and you were left to assume it's because you weren't a good boy (or girl). Even though it's only June, start building a case for getting that gift you want this year by making a list of your good deeds to date and what else you plan to do before December 25th.

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.
-----
Dear Santa;

I have to admit I was a little "pissed" that you did not leave any presents for me; you could have left a penny, but no, I was too bad. Oh come on! I wasn't that bad. I'm a changed woman. I do alot of community service work, for free. I don't ask people for money or any return favors. I'm nicer to my brother and sister. I don't play tricks on them like switching their 7-up for magnesium citrate. It's like I've been "saved." I'm Christian-like; I don't go to church, but I've been very very good.
I've been so good that my brother gave me a certificate rewarding my excellent behavior. I stopped playing pranks on my neighbors. I stopped beating up my cat. All this good behavior since January. I've turned over a new leaf.

So how about it, huh? Will you leave me a present this year. You know if you don't I will be throughlyupsetallthisgooddeedsfornothingandIdontgetanythingnotevenapennynothingzilchIbetyounogoodygoodyI
betyouhavesomeskeletoninyourclosetswithyoujudgementalhigherthanmightlyselfIbetyoudontevenlikekidsIbetyou
dontlikepeopleinfactyouprobablyhatepeopleyouprobablyfake. Anyway leave a nice present. Even if its just a penny.

Angelic.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges