Not Your Real Mother - 5/10

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue May 10, 2011 3:42 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue May 10, 2011 3:42 am

Mother's Day is over and you've just finished a nice dinner with your mom when you receive a phone call. An unfamiliar female voice is on the other end and says, "Stop celebrating with her! I'm your real mother." Write this scene.

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

L-Zanne
Private E-1

RE: Not Your Real Mother - 5/10

Postby L-Zanne » Tue May 10, 2011 7:09 pm

She said her name was Sherry and that she was my real mother. I pulled the phone away from my head and stared at it. Then I looked at the dining room table where my mom sat waiting for me. Mom and I were just finishing dinner when the phone rang. I had tried to ignore it, but whoever it was kept calling.

“What did you say your name was?” I was still looking at my mom when I asked.

“Sherry. I know this sounds crazy, but I’ve been searching for you for years. I just got your phone number two days ago. I was scared to call before, but, you know, it’s Mother’s Day today and…” She trailed off.

I was speechless. No, I wasn’t. “Is this a joke? What the hell are you talking about?” My voice was raising. I felt my face flushing. I kept staring at my mom, who was looking confused and alarmed. She had her hand on the table, half standing. I motioned her to sit back down. “Who the hell is this?” I was definitely yelling now. Mom didn’t look reassured, but she sat.

“Sherry, my name is Sherry! I know this sounds crazy, but I’m your real mom! I swear, I swear! You have to believe me!” The woman sounded like she was crying.

“What are you talking about?! My mom is sitting right here!”

“That woman isn’t your real mom!” The woman, Sherry, was starting to yell, too. She sounded like she was starting to sob. “I’m your real mom! She stole you, she stole you from me! Please believe me!”

“That’s poop unicorns and rainbows! You’re ****ing crazy, you bitch! Don’t call here again, I’m going to call the police!” I slammed the phone down. My hands were shaking.

Mom had jumped up and ran over to me. “What happened, what happened?” She took my hand and wiped tears off my cheek. “What’s wrong?”

“Some crazy woman just called and said that she’s my real mom and that you stole me. It’s crazy.” I started walking toward the living room. My mom’s hand slipped out of mine, and I slowed and looked back at her.

She held herself still, one hand still raised. She licked her lips. “What exactly did this woman say?”

I stopped. “She said that her name is Sherry and that she’s my real mother.” I spoke slowly, staring in my mother’s eyes. She didn’t look away. The look on her face made my stomach feel strange. “She said that she’s been looking for me for years. She said you stole me.”

Mom groped for one of the dining room chairs and slowly eased herself into the seat. She was silent for a long time. “I didn’t steal you,” she finally said.

ConfuzzledBooks
Private E-1

Re: Not Your Real Mother - 5/10

Postby ConfuzzledBooks » Wed May 11, 2011 4:13 am

(I hope it is alright to post like this. I have been writing off of the prompts on my blog Confuzzled Books but this is my first time posting. Please let me know if I am making an error in doing this) :-/

My True Mother (Tale of Young Dragon Part 1)

“Oh Deary Me! Rebekkah the genie lamp is ringing! Can you answer it? It Mother’s Day after all I shouldn’t strain myself.” Said Goldie Locke .

“Yes mother I will get it you just relax and watch Survival of the Fittest and then I will bring out the cake!” Rebekkah said anxiously

She picked up the phone and answered “Hello? Lockes Cave...”

“Stop celebrating with her Rebekkah that is not your real mother!!!” Said the dainty voice similar to Rebekkah’s.

“Hello?? I am sorry I think you have the wrong cave?” Rebekkah said shaking obviously disturbed.

“No! Please don’t hang up!!..” said the voice kindly as possible. “I have been trying and trying to find a way to tell you my sweet child. That beast Goldie stole you as an egg from me and took you to the Locke’s cave. You are not a Locke Rebekkah you a Hearth....My name Jabbie Hearth. I am your mother.” she said tearfully, “ I just couldn’t take another Mother’s Day without you. Haven’t you ever noticed you don’t resemble the Locke’s?”

Rebekkah drew a long breath inward and began to look nervously around the room. This can’t be true she thought. Tears began to weld in her eyes.

“Rebekkah Deary who is it? Who has upset my daughter?” asked the crackly fiery voice of Goldie Lock. She took the phone from her visibly upset dragon child.

“Who isss thiss ?!” said Goldie in her most ferrous tone.

Sobbing on the other end was Jabbie, “I finally found you Goldie and I told Rebekkah what you did and her father and I are coming for her. So you better be ready for us! “

“ I don’t know what you taking about! Don’t call this cave again or there will be trouble! “ said Mrs. Locke

Goldie slammed the the genie lamp against the cave wall in anger. A small voice from inside could be heard saying “Ouch!” Goldie turn to Rebekkah to comfort the child but it was too late Rebekkah had run from the cave in tears. Goldie called and searched for her in fear of losing the young thing.

Rebekkah hid near the fullest bushes by the watering hole and cried knowing what the caller had said was true but was to upset to even comprehend what to do about.

Then floating above her head she hear a whisper “ Why are you crying little dragon?” asked the small Confuzzled Fae with a star head band and Faery wand.

Rebekkah just waved the thoughts of the Faery away and cried some more.

“Please,” thought the Fae to Rebekkah, “ Tell me your story...”

kay1313
Private E-1

Postby kay1313 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:32 am

Our Mother’s Day dinner was great, just Mom and I sitting, reminiscing and laughing about the things we remembered. We both got up and started clearing the table when my phone rang. At first I blew it off and went on working with Mom on getting everything cleaned up when it rang again. A little taken aback that it was ringing several times in a row I went to answer it.
“Hello”
“Stop celebrating with her! I’m your real mother.” the unfamiliar voice said in a firm tone.
“Excuse me but I think you have to wrong number. I am sorry that I cannot help you and I wish you well.”
“No! Don’t hang up! Let me explain. It’s not a wrong number. You are my daughter and that woman that you think is your mother is not. I have to meet you and explain things to you.”
“I am sorry but I don’t see any point to this right now. I will tell you that you have the wrong number and I hope you find who you are looking for. Bye.”
As I hung up the phone and turned Mom was standing there looking at me. She had a worried look on her face and she walked toward me reaching out to put her hand on my shoulder.
“Are you OK? What was that all about? It seemed like you were having trouble getting off the phone there.”
“Some woman claimed I was her daughter and that she had to meet with me to explain things. I do hope she finds what she is looking for.”
Mom stood looking at me as I gazed down at the phone and when I looked up tears were in her eyes. There was a sinking feeling in me as I stood looking at Mom. She looked a little scared and little worried but mostly unsure of her next move.
“OK. What’s going on? Why are you crying?”
“I hate to tell you this but the woman might be right. I have a lot to tell you and once you hear you will understand.”
Mom and I went into the living room and sat on the couch while she mustered up the words to explain. I could tell this was something she was struggling with on how to say. As I watched her try to analyze how she was going to speak I had to feel for her. This was so hard for her and even though I didn’t know what she was going to say I knew that we’d work through it together as we had always done. The pit of my stomach was telling me something totally different, but if it was something I needed to know we’d just have to muddle through it and figure it out. I was always the logical one in the family and seemed to be better able to handle things.
The phone rang again and I looked at Mom with a questionable look of wanting to know if I should answer it or let it ring. Mom rose from her seat on the couch and proceeded to the phone and picked up the receiver.
“Hello”
“Look, you’ve got to hear me out…..PLEASE!.”
“Samantha, this is Gwendolyn. I was sitting down and we were going to discuss the issue at hand. I think maybe you probably need to be here to. We need to get this straight after all these years.”
“She’s MY daughter Gwen. You know it. Why have you kept her from me?”
“Samantha, it’s not what you think it is. If you will calm down and we can discuss this. I think we should all sit together and figure this out. Don’t you? This way everything is out in the open and we can make the decisions we need to together. We should have done this years ago. There’s more to this and you are well aware of that. Wouldn’t you like to get this over with?”
“Yes. Do I come over now?”
“Yes. How long will it take you to get here?”
“About 20 minutes.”
“Fine we will see you then.” Mom put down the phone and turned to me. “We have 20 minutes to talk before she arrives, then you will understand.

jinhessel
Private E-1

Postby jinhessel » Wed May 11, 2011 7:27 am

Your Real Mother
Nonny loved it all – the cards, the flowers, the corny orchid corsage. Hannah went along, if it was that important to her. After all, the woman had raised her for most of her life. They were lunching at The Splendiflora, that ladyish dining place with the iron lattice tables, surrounded by plantings of dwarf trees. Above them the wide skylight let in the world. This day in early May the clouds veiled the sun until they were sped along to let it shine awhile.

Hannah wondered if she should order a half carafe of Chablis. Was Mothers’ Day special enough? Usually, Nonny would agree, dropping her eyes to specify, “I fly on one wing.” This meant that she would have but one glass, and the rest would be all Hannah’s.

Nonny was turning over her calves’ liver and scowling at it, and Hannah was slicing her overcooked roast beef when Nonny’s phone started knocking. The old-style clam shell had a knock-knock chime, and Nonnie just squinted at it beside her plate

“Good grief. Who could this be?” She pressed her napkin into her chest. “No one has my number.” As she listened, her eyebrows rose up and her face went stiff.

“Annabel,” she said. “Are you having an emergency?” A pause: “Yes, I know you’re a mother today too, dear.” Her eyes held and bored into Hannah’s eyes.

“Ah…yesss. She’s right here. Are you, uh, okay, Annabel, as in taking care of yourself?”
Hannah’s body went cold as Nonnie handed her the phone with a warning glance.

“Mom ?” she said.

“Well, yeah. I’m your real mother, remember?” Her voice was breathy and rushed. What could you tell about the voice? Was she in the grip?

“Usually, I don’t pay these silly holidays much mind, Hannah. But I had such a horrible yesterday. I need to find a place.”

Not here, Mom. Not yet.

“I mean, if only a bed would come open at the shelter. They rousted us out of Dovey Cove Park this morning in the most brutal way. Above and beyond their duty, Hannah.” There was a catch in her voice, and Hannah searched for signs of a wet breakdown.

It was uncalled-for, Hannah. I had left my spot just for coffee and the cops grabbed up all our stuff like it was all equal – trash and treasure alike. I came up to see them to toss my shoebox into a county trailer - my shoe box tied up with a ribbon with my ID and my meds and my pictures and letters from you” – again an almost-sob – “ all gone like so much garbage.”

Hannah took a breath and held it.

“I am sober, so you know. Ten months now, I swear.”

“I could send you something to General Delivery,” she said. Real estate was in the toilet, but, yeah, Hannah could still pay her way, thanks to Nonny. Nonny would never take Ma in though. Hannah knew that. So many failed Christmases, disaster family gatherings – no.

“That’s not why I called you, baby,” she said “Just so sad about what I lost. A thread to you, my pills, my papers, my God!”

“Umm, keep on keeping on,” said Hannah,” and she sounded lame even to herself.

I’m gonna follow through on the lady who needed a cleaner, and a room in the back. Could be something.”

As Hannah wrapped it up – blah blah niceties about staying in touch (but only if you’re sober and self-sustaining and don’t make an ass of yourself before the gathered kin, she was whispering in her head) – she felt the grip of guilt. Such a cold kiss-off….

Nonny’s face relaxed – another emergency averted.

“Chablis, you said?”

“Forget it,” Hannah said.

darnellreid3
Private E-1

Postby darnellreid3 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:16 am

"You can't be, my real mother is sitting right in front of me. I love my mother. How could you say something like that." My mother jumps up from the table, and ask who is it? I hung up on the woman, and cry. What is happening to me? Why does that woman on the other line thinks she is my real mother. My real mother raise me for 18 years, not her.

lindabetz
Private E-1

Postby lindabetz » Wed May 11, 2011 10:50 am

“Delicious! And you’ve done a beautiful job of decorating your apartment. I’m so proud of you.” Laura Cummings dabbed at a tear.

“Thanks, Mom.” Sarah looked up. “Oh, please don’t cry. I thought you were okay with my getting a place of my own.”

“I am, but it seems like yesterday we brought you home from the hospital and sat up practically all night watching you. Your father would be so pleased; you’ve grown into such a wonderful young woman. I miss him so.”

“I miss him too.” Just as Sarah walked around the table and hugged her mother, the phone rang. “I’ll be right back.”

She rushed to the living room. “Hello. Yes, this is Sarah Cummings. Who’s this?”

Sarah listened for a moment. “Please slow down; I can’t understand a word you’re saying.”

The woman on the other end of the phone screamed. “Stop celebrating with her; I’m your real mother!”

“What?” Sarah shouted. “Listen, I don’t know who you are, but my mother is in the next room. It's Mothers Day and I don’t think this is at all funny.”

Suddenly, Laura burst into the room; her eyes were wild and her face was pale. Sarah dropped the receiver. “Mom, my God, what’s wrong?”

“Hang up, Sarah, hang up the phone. Oh my God, she’s found us.” Laura stumbled to the sofa.

“Who found us? Mom, you’re frightening me.” The phone rang again. Sarah picked up the receiver and slammed it back down. “Mom, look at me. Who is this woman? And why are you so afraid?”

Laura took a deep breath and worked to calm herself. Tears streamed down her face. “I knew this day would come. We should have told you, but your father was afraid it would be too much for you.”

The phone rang over and over.

Sarah’s heart pounded and her mouth was dry. “Tell me what?”

“During the first few years of our marriage, your father and I struggled, just like all newlyweds. He worked too many hours, determined he would be the provider.” Laura hesitated. “There was a secretary at his office who was completely obsessed with him. She was sexy and beautiful. They, ah,” her voice broke, “they had an affair. It only lasted a few weeks, and your father was so ashamed. A few months later, she came to our door. She was pregnant.” Laura sobbed.

“Oh my God, she’s my mother?” Sarah jumped up and paced the floor.

“No, she’s not your mother. I was pregnant with you by that time. If I hadn’t been pregnant, I would have divorced your father and told him to marry her. We separated for a few months. He begged me to come back and I did. We made a decision and told Teresa that we would take financial responsibility for the child. Your father asked for visitation rights.”

The phone finally stopped ringing and Sarah was quiet. She waited for her mother to continue. “But, she wanted your father. She stalked both of us. We had to get a restraining order and install a security system. I couldn’t leave the house alone. Her baby was stillborn—it was a girl who would have been a month older than you. Teresa went completely insane. She broke into our house one afternoon. I was doing laundry and forgot to set the alarm. She attacked me with a knife and kidnapped you.” Laura’s shoulder’s shook as she cried.

“The scars,” Sarah whispered.

“It took three days for the police to find you. By that time, she was completely delusional and truly believed you were her child. She was institutionalized. We sold our house and moved across the country. The last time we made inquiries, we were told she would most likely never be released.”

Suddenly someone screamed and pounded on the apartment door. “She’s mine and I’ll kill you both before I let you keep her.”

“Sarah, call 911. Hurry!”

Sarah’s hands shook as she dialed the phone. “Someone is trying to break into my apartment. She’s threatening to kill us. Yes, that’s my address. Please hurry.”

Within minutes, they heard sirens; police cars screeched to a stop in front of the building. Officers ran down the hallway and shouted. “Police. Lady, put the gun down. Put it down!”

“No, she’s mine!” Teresa screamed.

Gun shots rang out. They heard a thud in the hallway.

Someone knocked. “Are you all right in there?”

"Yes." Laura and Sarah held each other and cried.

horsestuff
Private E-1

Postby horsestuff » Wed May 11, 2011 4:01 pm

I went blank. The kind of blank that happens when you can’t absorb what you just heard or saw. “President Kennedy is dead. “Sunami kills 300,000 people.” Or in my case - “The end of the world is today.”
I didn’t blink. I didn’t breathe. I froze . . . with the phone to my ear and the words bouncing echos inside my head.
In a world where words are everything - spoken, written, heard, remembered or forgotten - these were nothing. Disconnected and meaningless. All but one. Mother.
Again the alien jabber. “Did you hear me? I am your birth mother. My name is Savannah”
Her southern drawl was as foreign as her name. She laughed nervously and waited for me to speak.
My “mother” saw my stricken face and reached for my hand.
“What’s wrong?“
The trust of twenty years evaporated as I recoiled from her touch.
I knew the truth when I heard it. And when I felt it. The sharp stab of another alien word thrust deeply into my heart.
Adopted.
If I die now, the pain will stop.

MJTexasRose
Private E-1

Postby MJTexasRose » Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 am

Not Your Real Mother

Mother’s Day was beautiful. I had prepared brunch for Mom, with all her favorites. I think we both ate too much and I left satisfied that I had done my duty. Had I not, she would have reminded me about it until next Mother’s Day.

As I opened the door to my apartment the phone was ringing. “Hello,” I said.

“Stop celebrating with her.”

“What? Who is this?”

“I’m your real mother.”

“Is this some kind of a joke?”

“I’m not joking. Listen …” The phone went dead. I checked my caller I.D. The number was blocked.

Certain that this was some kind of a prank; I put it out of my mind until later in the evening when the phone rang again.

“Hello.”

“You have to stop celebrating with her.” It was the same woman who had called earlier. She sounded out of breath.

“Who is this?”

“I’m your mother. We need to meet.”

“Look, I’m not trying to be mean, but this all sounds just a bit fishy. If you’re my real mother, where have you been for the last thirty years?”

“When they pulled me out of the wreckage I was in labor. They delivered you and had one of their people take you. I never had the chance to hold you. They’ve had me locked away all these years.”

“Really.”

“Please, Mary. You’ve got to believe me. They’re after me.”

“Who are they?”

“You know who she works for.”

“Mom? She works for the government.” Mom had worked at the state capital, in Austin, for as long as I could remember.

“When you were born she was working in a top secret project at Edwards Air Force Base. They re-assigned her so that she could raise you. Haven’t you noticed that they have kept a close watch on both of you?”

“No.” Now that she mentioned it, Mom did seem to have a lot of friends from Edwards. When I was growing up they dropped in a lot. They still dropped by to see me some. I never quite understood why they would come to see me, but not her.

“Please, Mary. Can we meet? I’m in Austin now, but I have to stay hidden.”

“I suppose you could come to my apartment.”

“No. They’ll be watching it.”

“Where then?”

“Are you familiar with a The Oasis, on Lake Travis?”

“Sure. I eat there a lot.”

“Pull into their parking lot and wait.”

About an hour later I came to the Oasis. I had my heart set on one of those delicious hamburgers they were famous for. I waited in my car, however – just as she had asked. After a couple of minutes a woman slid in the passenger’s side of the car. She was wearing a big hat, sunshades and a trench coat. I thought trench coats had gone out years ago.

“Drive,” she said.

“Aren’t we going to eat?”

“I told you, I have to stay out of sight. Just drive around the lake for now.”

As I was driving, she took off the hat and shades. I looked at her in disbelief. She had to be my mother. I looked just like her. I had always wondered who in the family I looked like. I guess I knew now.

“I’m convinced now,” I said, “ but I’m really lost. Why have we been kept apart all these years?”

“They thought that if you were raised to think you belonged here they could use you. They must have thought you would have some special abilities.”

“What kind of abilities?”

“Take a right at this next intersection. You’ll soon understand.”

“Okay,” I said. “Where are we going?”

“Here. Pull over.” There was nothing there. We got out and walked into an open field. About half way into the field she took my hands in hers and just smiled.

In less than a minute I saw a bright light above us. A beam surrounded us and in an instant we were standing in a large metallic room.

“Welcome, your highnesses,” said a strange man in a uniform totally alien to me.

“Your what?”

“Come Mary. It’s time to take your rightful place. We will soon be home.”

“Where is home,” I asked.

“Kazar. We’ll travel by worm-hole and be there in less than an hour. By this time tomorrow you will be crowned Queen of the Kazarian Empire.”

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges