[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
You're Having Twins - 6/7 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

You're Having Twins - 6/7

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

You're Having Twins - 6/7

Postby Brian » Mon May 02, 2011 4:40 am

The ultrasound come in and it turns out you and your spouse are having twins. Write the scene where you tell your family, especially your mother who for years has jokingly asked you to have twins.

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

LizRay
Private E-1

Re: You're Having Twins - 6/7

Postby LizRay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:21 pm

We’re Having Twins

Honey, don’t forget we have a 1 o’clock dr.’ appointment for the ultrasound. I can hardly wait. I know you want a boy and I want a girl. It doesn’t really matter just as long as the baby is healthy. Oh, I forgot to tell Mom the appointment is today. I can almost tell you word for word what she’s going to say. Laughing she would say “I hope you have twins. That would be payback. Remember when I used to dress you and your sister alike. You used to hate to dress like your sister but I did it anyway. Then on your sixteenth birthday it happened. I gave you a birthday gift in a red box and gave your sister a gift in a blue box. I told you both that you would never have to dress alike again, unless you wanted to.” That’s what she would say. Although we were twins I never dressed like my sister again. I’m going on and on and you’re almost late for work. Don’t forget your briefcase honey and I will meet you at the dr.’s office.
Talking to self-Let me call Mom before I forget. Where did I put the phone? Oh there it is. Dialing Mom’s number. Good morning Mom. I forgot to tell you that I have a doctor’s appointment today at 1 for an ultrasound. “I hope you’re having twins”, she said laughing. “I know Mom, I know”, I said.
“I will stop by after the appointment.” I said. “I have a hair appointment at 2, so I won’t be home until about 4 or 4:30, Mom said. “Ok Mom, I will see you later. Oh, and Mom, I love you in spite of what you did to my sister and I,” I said with a chuckle as I hung up the phone.
After cleaning the breakfast dishes, taking a shower and getting dressed, now watching TV in between naps on the couch.
Doorbells rings. I answer it. Hi Sis, she said. “What are you doing here”, I said. “You don’t think your twin sister is going to let you go to the doctor alone, do you? I’m going with you”, she said.
I’m not going alone, Ron is meeting me there.” I said. “I’m still going with you”, she said.
“See, that’s one of the reason’s I don’t want to have twins. I loved you and I still do, but I didn’t and I don’t want to do everything with you.
“I’ll drive. I just want you to sit back, relax, and think about what you’re going to name your twins. Yep, two girls just like you and I”, she said laughing.
“You are just as bad as Mom, I said. Swinging my purse at her as we exit the door.
“You know, it wasn’t sooooo bad being a twin”, I said
“Ok we’re here. I am going to let you out at the door and then I’ll park the car,” my sister said.
Entering the doctor’s office. Hi my name is Mrs. Lister. I have a 1 o’clock appointment.
“The doctor can see you now,” the nurse said.
“I’m waiting for my husband and sister?” Oh here they are. We’re ready, I said.
On the table with my pants pulled below my stomach, the doctor puts the jell on my stomach and begins. “Well Mrs. Lister, I hear two hearts beat, let’s take a look at the monitor. Just as I thought, you’re having twins. Looks like a boy and a girl.” the doctor said.
“I’m calling Mom”, my sister said. No, don’t. I told her I would stop by after the appointment.” I said.
“Well honey, we all got what we wanted.” Ron said. “My Mom did this to me, let’s go”, I said.
“I want to stop by the store before I go to Mom’s. I want to get a gift for my Mom, I said. “A gift, Ron said. “Yes, a gift. I want to get her a gift wrapped pink binky and a gift wrapped blue binky. When she sees them she will know”’, I said.
We arrive at Mom’s house. She is standing in the doorway. “Well, what did the doctor say? She said.
“Congratulations, Mom. Handing her the pink and blue box. At least they don’t have to dress alike, I said with a slight chuckle. hugging and kissing me “I told you. I can’t wait till your Dad gets home,” my Mom said.

sns3guppy
Private E-2

Postby sns3guppy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:52 am

I studied my shoes and contemplated the laces. Ordinarily I’d have given them no thought, but at the moment a concern over whether the small brown strips of cord should go over the eyelets before crossing in the middle, or under them, seemed terribly important. I gently kicked the wooden leg of an antique book shelf, and passed the thought away.

I poured over the report in my hands for a fifteenth time, but nothing leaped out that wasn’t there on any of the first fourteen tries. I knew the family would be here in twenty minutes, tired from their journey, and sometime this evening I’d need to reveal Marsha’s pregnancy. In any other place or time, I would have worked hard to make it a dramatic moment, a crowning jewel in the good news of the day, but this wasn’t any other time. I surveyed the ultrasound picture critically, tracing the outline of two small forms, with my gaze.

Marsha was to blame, clearly. I’d like to say I was there, but it wasn’t possible. She always loved to horse around, literally and literally, but it was never for me. I never liked to play, and I never liked to ride, so that left Marsh alone on the weekends for her rides through the woods. She reveled in them. I wondered if she would ever ride again, now that she was pregnant. Too busy, I concluded. I wasn’t pregnant, after all, and I could scarcely find time for everything in a day. I had no idea how she would manage.

I hadn’t shown the report to Marsha, yet. She saw the monitor during the ultrasound, but became quiet, catatonic, really, and hadn’t spoken a word since. I was certain she didn’t remember a thing. I hoped she wouldn’t.

Marsha, I now knew, horsed around one too many times, without me. I regretted never making it to the stables or on a trail ride. Not one. I supposed I couldn’t blame her; a woman gets lonely, and when her husband is too busy, well; this was perhaps inevitable. I didn’t blame her, though I couldn’t reconcile the outcome. How would I explain this to a school? To family? To my pastor? To the world?

Twins, both facing one another in the medical snapshot, were clear and crisply defined. All babies started with tails, I knew, but not like this. Not real ones, not tails with strands and hair. Their pronounced muzzles, far too long in the jaw to be human, captured the imagination, and their equine lineage couldn’t be mistaken. When Marsha horsed around, she really horsed around. I shut my eyes and tried to blot out the recurring mental image of her and Pizarro, the bay stallion that lived in stall 4A at Roundells Stable Enterprises. What was she thinking?

The doorbell rang, piercing my pensive reverie, and somewhere from the bedroom a dachshund barked a low, sorrowful yip. In a fog, I swung the door open, and mother stepped in, along with Anne, Mark, and her three beautiful children. None of them looked like a quarter horse. “Come in,” I found myself repeating, and mother kissed me on the cheek. I closed the door, like a wooden crypt, and helped Mark drag baggage into the parlor.

Mother screamed. It wasn’t a frightened scream, or one of horror. It wasn’t really delight, either, but I knew before the sound finished echoing off the laundry room hall, she saw the report. I left it on the kitchen table, and that was her first destination. So, she knew. She appeared in the kitchen doorway, only her face visible over the saloon swing-doors, ashen but alert. She stared into my soul quizzically.

“Yes, mother,” I said, “they’re twins.” She tried to speak, but merely mouthed “but, but, but” over and over again. I swallowed hard, dug my fists into my pocket, and then addressed her as convincingly as I could. “I know exactly what you mean, Mom. It’s like this,” I stretched. “It always skips a generation.”
I actually felt relieved when she passed out, and I turned away to finish stacking the luggage. Perhaps when she woke up, we could go shopping for the twin’s first little saddles. The day wouldn’t be a complete loss, after all.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Deleted
Last edited by LMGilbert on Fri May 18, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darar
Private E-1

Postby Darar » Sat May 05, 2012 1:55 am

Krimzonrain
Private E-1

Postby Krimzonrain » Thu May 10, 2012 1:46 pm

This is my first submission, be gentle :)

Twins Too Late
by Misty Spears

Walking down the wet pavement, I couldn’t help but look at my feet and wonder how long it would be before I couldn’t see them anymore. The memory of a photograph I had taken when I was eight months pregnant with my daughter Hannah brought a smile to my face. Just a few tiny toes peeking out from under my belly was all that could be seen.

“I think this is the place, “I said to Josh, looking down at the map they gave me at the front entrance.

He held my hand with a firm but tender grip as we stepped off the crumbling pavement and into the soft grass. He was always there to hold me up when I needed it most and today was definitely one of those days when I needed him.

It had been three years since I last spoke to her and I was still afraid to confront the reality that she wasn’t there for me anymore. Holding the tiny slips of glossy paper in my hand, I made my way towards her.

“Mom, it’s me,” I said. “I know I haven’t been by in a while, but you know, things get busy and the kids always have stuff going on and my job. Well, you know how it is? We’re doing really well though, and Josh is here with me. He says hello.”

Silence. I locked up and couldn’t think of what to say next.

“Hi mom, it’s Josh,” he chimed in, saving me once again. “How are things where you are?”

He always did know how to lighten the mood. I squeezed his hand and leaned my head on his shoulder as I felt the tears welling up in my eyes. No, I will get through this. I needed to tell her. I moved closer to her and sat on the stone bench in front of her.

“Mom, Josh and I found out we’re pregnant and we wanted you to be the first to know. Oh, and I brought something for you, “ I said as I slowly placed one of the glossy papers near the vase of flowers. A grin spread across my face as I looked at the ultrasound again and saw the two individual shapes printed on it. “Do you see it? We’re having twins, can you believe it? You always wanted twin grandbabies, remember?”

I felt the warm hand of my husband as he placed it on my shoulder before enveloping me completely in his arms. I knew it was ok to cry there. I had done it often in the safety of his arms including the day that she died. The flood gates opened and I was drowning in the tears that followed.

“I can’t believe, I’m doing this without you mom,” I choked out as I looked back at her resting place. I took Josh’s hand once again and turned to walk back out the way we came in. As I turned a warm breeze fell across my face and I saw the ultrasound slip between the stone cracks that had already started at the base of the headstone, lodging itself into a place that fingers couldn’t reach. In that moment, I knew she was watching and maybe, just maybe, I wasn’t doing this without her after all.

Darar
Private E-1

Postby Darar » Sat May 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Oh, wow, Krimzonrain. I cried. Great stuff.

kdaniel171
Private E-1

Postby kdaniel171 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 pm

I would simply go to my mom and tell her, Congratulations mom God heard your prayer. You are finally going to become the grandma of twins. Then I will hug my mom and will surely give her a treat and take her to my wife to congratulate her.

addseo2015
Private E-1

Postby addseo2015 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:48 am

I gave you a birthday gift in a red box and gave your sister a gift in a blue box.

CreativeHeart75
Private E-1

Postby CreativeHeart75 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:18 pm

Wow, Krimzonrain, I'm not even going to attempt this one. That was great! I am teary-eyed too. Great job!

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges