I Will Consider Myself Successful When ... 4/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
grefertc
Private E-1

RE: I Will Consider Myself Successful When ... 4/12

Postby grefertc » Wed May 25, 2011 4:01 am

As a writer, I will consider myself successful when I turn my life story into a thrilling fictional story. I will be successful when all the pain, drama, insanity, and joys of my childhood and adulthood are shared and released from my heart into my creativity to heal me of it's current destruction.

Chronic Daydreamer
Private E-1

Postby Chronic Daydreamer » Wed May 25, 2011 11:02 am

As a writer, I will consider myself successful when I manage to overcome my doubts. Some day, writing will be liberating once more, instead of restricting. There will be no hand grasping at my shoulder and dragging me back. There will be no little voice hissing at me to stop, to turn away. I do not stop. I falter, but keep struggling, my eyes fixed on the road ahead. The shadow won't yield either. It always looms over me, holding me in its unrelenting grip.

Maybe this personification of my uncertainty is right, and is only trying to guide me away from a path that will lead to nowhere, a path that will get me lost. Maybe my persistence is simply foolishness. I know deep down that I've read too many books where determination leads to triumph in the end, and of course, real life is nothing like books.

Even so, one of us has to give up eventually. And it won't be me.

octavialesley
Private E-1

Postby octavialesley » Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 am

I complete a blog or stage play.

livausis
Private E-1

Postby livausis » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:17 am

I will consider myself a successful writer when my 'reader' says so, and by 'reader' I mean the one whose taste in literature I admire because it is what I hope mine will someday be and who I have in my head when I write. For me that's my friend to whom I've yet to show any of my writing.

mitch245
Private E-1

Re: I Will Consider Myself Successful When ... 4/12

Postby mitch245 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:35 pm

As a writer, I will consider myself successful when through the power of my words, my readers will become so entranced that they will jump off bridges when their favourite characters die unjustly torturous and painful deaths, launch a protest when the next chapter/book is late, start a rebellion when the endings suck, and when my taxes get excused by the prime minister. I will consider myself a success when the emotions on the page are so vivid that the book begins to bleed black tears, or the characters are so real they step out of the pages to murder the readers in their living room couches, leaving a bloody handprint of the pages behind. Or better yet, when my fanbase is so large and dedicated they build me a black castle in honour of my excellence, and the rulers of the world bow before my extreme wisdom and vast knowledge. Those are my very simple and meagre conditions for success.

sns3guppy
Private E-2

Postby sns3guppy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:46 am

As a writer, I will consider my successful when I begin to understand.

When I begin to understand my characters, I will be approaching success. When I begin to understand the magic and mechanics of why this sentence works with that phrase, I will have found success. Writing nirvana will settle over my keyboard when I can conquer fear of revision, when my pack rat self can cut and chip away with abandon and a clear conscience, and when I can proof read for the final time and know "it is done."

I will consider myself successful as a writer when I write only from a need to write, and when I write with the consistency against which I chide myself morning and night. I ebb and flow, sometimes I write a lot, sometimes not at all, and often I feel a need to write welling up with a pent frustration that spills into my daily life. Success is finding that outlet, releasing the sadness, the thrill, the anger, the hunger, the want, the need, the joy, the playfulness and the humor, and the acid and the brush, into printed words. I don't care if another soul reads them or if they see the light of day, but to finally give in to that compulsion to write more often, to finally make the commitment, that's success.

I'm tired of the guilt of knowing that I had a great idea, or a dialogue going so perfectly in the shower that I heard the characters speak to me, and that between drying off and going about my business, it was gone forever, like a dream. I'm tired of feeling like the biblical poor servant who failed to steward his talents, but instead buried them and hid them away. Success will be seeing them multiply. I may never be published, and that's fine. I may never be popular, and I don't care. I may never sell, and it's unimportant. Success isn't in a paycheck and it isn't in an ISBN code or a copyright. It's in fulfilling one's self. The writer is a conduit, and to dam it up and prevent the flow of cosmos to paper or to bits and bytes and a crime against nature. Success will be hearing the wind whisper and then recording it forever, or just for a day, instead of letting it slip away at 30 knots into oblivion.

So many times I've watched a forced sunrise over the North Atlantic as I press along at five or six hundred knots; an explosion of fire and color, or subtle muted hues of pink and red that tear away the dark ocean to reveal icebergs and feather clouds. I let them slip, they go unrecorded, a painting that to me rivals Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel, there for only me to see, and I let them go. Success will be the day I capture these things, like a starving photographer, but with words, and vision, and commit them to paper where I can shape them, save them, savor them, and relive them. Success will be doing what I know I should, yet somehow all too often fail, with a clear conscience.

I'm getting better. I carry paper and pen most places now, and I do jot down what I see or feel or an idea. Not enough and I don't write enough. I can't write enough, because it seems that no matter how much I pour into a keyboard or a sheet of paper, there's more that I haven't, and that's the dividing line between success, and not. Sometimes it's a thin line, sometimes wide and ragged, but always there.

I will consider myself successful when my conscience clears from cloud to invisible vapor, when my yearnings to write are sated, and when "I came, I saw, I wrote," is my hope for tomorrow with the same comfort that it's my epitaph for today.

JAG1971
Private E-1

Postby JAG1971 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:56 pm

When I begin to write well enough that other people want to read what I have written and can make a living doing what I love, I will consider myself a success. Even if that never happens, I will continue to write because I must. Writing consumes every waking moment, even if I'm not physically writing, I am dreaming up characters and plots. My purse is full of scraps of paper with my ideas, which I eventually transfer to my computer. The ideas come while I am at my day job or just driving down the road with my kids. Very seldom do I get an idea when I am "working" at my computer, that would be too convenient.

The bottom line is I'm going to write anyway. Getting paid for it would just be a bonus!

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:54 pm

As a writer, I will consider myself successful when I get published. I know this probably won't happen for a very long time, as i am only a sophmore in high school, but i know that i have what it takes to become an author. I have been writing my entire life, and even though only a couple years ago i realized that writing is the way of my heart, every moment my words take form on paper, a new work of creation is created through my hand alone. This is what i am meant to be. A realm that thought and form come together has taught me that a writer's pen is the only sword that one will ever need. The power of one's words is so strong, that i truly believe that it can conquer all. And just as love can conquer the heart, writing can serenade it, bringing forth a whole new innovation, a whole new reality.
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges