I Will Consider Myself Successful When ... 4/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:48 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:48 am

Finish this sentence: As a writer, I will consider myself successful when ...

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

Trissa
Private E-2

Re: I Will Consider Myself Successful When ... 4/12

Postby Trissa » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:43 am

I will consider myself successful when I have my completed manuscript in my hands.

I have been working on this book for a couple of years. Being "keeper of the house", I find too many outside distractions that affect the time I could be spending writing. I also have a problem trying to focus on the one piece of writing as I keep coming up with so many other potential ideas...I then stop and wander...

It would be great to get away -- just me and my laptop. It won't be this week. Because while the "spouse of my house" pesters me about my story's due date, he also hands me a daily "honey do" list. We're putting in new carpet, I have to help rip out the old and move furniture from one room to another as we go. Then there's our son's graduation, yard projects, our get-away cabin has a to-do list that will outlive me. If only I could write in my sleep!

catknelson
Private E-1

RE: I Will Consider Myself Successful When ... 4/12

Postby catknelson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 am

I actually manage to earn more than $20 for an article. I currently write for a few internet content mills that pay fairly well, as far as internet content mills go, but I've never earned more than $20 for my writing.

Cowgirl
Private E-1

Postby Cowgirl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:49 am

As a writer I will consider myself successful when I am able to tap my fiery creative juices without having to talk to myself about how
I do know that I am able to do so. When I can close my eyes, see my fiery core, connect with it and write words that always move
my readers - move them to tears, compassion, or make them laugh. I want my words to count and make a difference to the Natural
world so that it is there in all the tomorrows to come.

jadrey
Private E-1

Postby jadrey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:19 pm

I will consider myself successful when I write something inspiring, uplifting, entertaining or informative and get positive feedback. Getting paid for it wouldn't feel bad, either. :)

Thundersbeard
Private E-1

Postby Thundersbeard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:31 pm

I have a job. I have a family. I have a house and acreage. I have a desire to write. I don't have an ability to turn my ideas into stories. When I can have an idea, then execute it - then and only then will I feel like a success.

LittleEden
Sergeant

Postby LittleEden » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 am

As a writer, I will consider myself successful when ... women want to read more stories about Pearl's adventures.

allz28
Captain

Postby allz28 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:28 am

As a writer, I will consider myself successful when my name appears bigger on the book jacket than the book's title.

cmarcott
Private E-1

Postby cmarcott » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:55 am

I will consider myelf successful when I write what my heart tells me to write and not for the joy of publishing (not that I don't want that) and do it with integrity and grace.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges