Mystery Cookie - 4/5

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Mystery Cookie - 4/5

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Mystery Cookie - 4/5

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 am

One day you come into work and find a cookie mysteriously placed on your desk. Grateful to whoever left this anonymous cookie, you eat it. The next morning you come in and find another cookie. This continues for months until one day a different object is left--and this time there's a note.

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

Cowgirl
Private E-1

Re: Mystery Cookie - 4/5

Postby Cowgirl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:29 am

A note written on the inside of an intricately folded red paper crane. "Why did you ignore my messages stamped into the cookies?"

"What messages?" escapes me and floats over the cubicles of co-workers. They look up as though in a flock of birds, startled by the
misfire of a truck. Three seconds later, they look down as one to their work.

I mouth "what messages?" I do not want to startle the flock again. Their white faces and pale blue eyes disturb me.

I attempt to refold the crane. The paper resists folding as though it now had life. I set it down on my desk and stare at it. As I watch, the paper
refolds itself into a crane. The wings move and it lifts off my desk a foot. I grab for it. It eludes me. "Stop!" I shout and reach for it again.
This time I catch it. Thirty heads rise again. Sixty blond eyebrows lift. Three seconds later, the heads lower again, as one.

I feel fluttering on my palm. I open my hand. This time it lies still.

I am able to unfold the crane. There are new words. "Fold 1,000 cranes then set them free." The paper refolded itself and lifted off my desk again.

This time I waited to see what the bird would do. It fluttered around my cubicle and settled on my notebook. I watched it a minute. My hands
were now sweating. It rustle a bit then settled into quiet. I unfolded it again. More new words! "Take the cranes to the park. Set them free.
Then you will find a gift beyond price." The red paper bird then consumed itself with a small flame.

I begin folding cranes.

missycamp
Private E-1

RE: Mystery Cookie - 4/5

Postby missycamp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:45 pm

The Cookie

Leilani stared at the box of cookies atop her desk as if they were threatening to jump up and eat HER. The note said only, “Just For You.”

“Ok, this is getting too weird now,” she whispered to herself. She continued, “for the last two of the three months since I've been working here, every single day someone leaves me a cookie. Today it's a whole box with a decidedly non-revealing note. I ask around, but everyone gives me weird looks and evasive answers...like they know something I don't but refuse to tell me what it is...”

Leilani had at first thought the daily cookie was a sweet gesture from some anonymous coworker, who perhaps wished to congratulate her on her quick ascent up the business ladder—she was, after all, now being considered for a spot on the Board of Directors—due to her excellent idea-pitching skills she provided for the ad agency.

But now...it seemed nothing shy of creepy. Especially since she had also been experiencing blackouts for some time as well. Sometimes she would go to lunch, and come back having no idea where she had even been. Other times, someone would make a remark about something she had said to them, and she would not remember having said whatever it was at all. She would also occasionally attend board meetings, with nothing but her laptop notes about it to show she had indeed been present. She did not know if she was suffering from some sort of brain damage, had taken to drinking at bars until she passed out (only to come to with no memory of the previous event), or even if she might be experiencing alien abductions! Now, however, she wondered if perhaps the Mystery Cookie had some connection to her unexplained—and thus far undisclosed—blackouts. She theorized that maybe someone had actually been secretly POISONING her, rather than congratulating her, out of jealousy or some other reason.

Now fearing for her very life, she bagged one of that day's cookies, fully intending to get it tested for arsenic and other poisons. Her best friend from the office walked in just as she was sealing the zip-lock baggy shut. “Leilani?” Her friend's visage and voice showed concern.

“Oh...uh...hi, Nancy...I was just...uh...saving this for later.” She gave a weak smile to her buddy, her head only raised part way.

Nancy took a deep breath in, then slowly let it out, as her head began to sag. “I-I th-think it's time you knew. Someone should have told you this a long time ago, but...well, never mind why...just listen.”

Leilani's head immediately popped up fully from its previously semi-downcast position, her eyes wide. Finally! She might just be getting the answers she had been searching for!

“The cookie...the one you get every day...God, how do I tell you this?” Nancy let out a breathy moan of frustration, placing her hand on her forehead as if checking for fever.

“Nancy, if you know something about this...please tell me. I think I deserve to know...”

Nancy sighed in resignation. She had started the ball rolling, and she knew there was no going back now.

“Every day, a man named Jake comes in and leaves a cookie for you...he says he has a secret crush on you, but that you don't even know he exists....”

As Nancy paused, finding what she had to tell Leilani difficult to put into words, Leilani gave her friend a puzzled yet strong gaze, urging her to continue.

“But the thing is...this guy....is YOU.”

“What?! What the hell are you talking about?”

“It started about two months ago, a month after you got hired here...you would come in the mornings, tell everyone your name was Jake, and to please be hush hush about his intentions toward you...I hate to be the one to tell you this, sweetie, but you apparently have Multiple Personality Disorder. One of however many personalities you have has a crush on your strongest personality, Leilani.”

Leilani was stunned. She found Nancy's answer difficult to believe, but knowing her friend was no liar, also had to consider it a possibility. Nancy's theory, after all, would explain her blackouts.

“Then...if this is true, how is that I've been able to keep my job this whole time?!”

Nancy smiled nervously. “Well, if the truth be told...your Jack is apparently just as good or sometimes even better than you at pitching ideas!”

mvg
Private E-1

Postby mvg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:28 pm

To Whom It May Conern:

I find it extremely vexing to return to my quarters after a long night of traversing this building as part of my routine duties, only to find that my scrumptious evening snack has been gluttonously conusmed without offering.  The audacity!  The impudence! Have you no manners? Have you no respect? I've been here for 6 years and my family's legacy extends back to the 1970s within this establishment, so I'd appreciate more respect and expect that this will NOT reoccur.      

Kindest Regards,

Sir Resident Mouse III

P.S. I'd advise against shoving THESE down your gullet - they are NOT chocolate chips...                                                                                                                                 

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Great post mvg. LOL and 'bout coughed up my cookie when I read the last line. Hope to see more from you in the humor forum.

mvg
Private E-1

Postby mvg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:18 am

Thanks, rosebud :)

tammy_:0)
Private E-1

Postby tammy_:0) » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 am

Another cookie? What the heck is going on? I’ve been coming into work for the last week, to find a cookie on my desk. I wasn’t sure who was leaving it for me and after asking around no one seemed to know anything about it. I thought one of two things would happen; either someone would fess up or it would just stop. But no one has come forward at this point and after going home for the weekend and coming back in on this Monday morning to find, yet another one has me wondering now. I can’t say I’m bothered about having a cookie waiting for me every morning, but the curiosity is killing me.
The cookies being left have all been the same kind; my favorite, shortbread with an enormously thick layer of fudge on top. I must say I was a little concerned with wondering if I should eat the cookie or not, not knowing where it came from. After some consideration I thought, these were my co-workers for crying out loud. And, how to do I not eat my favorite cookie?
I continued to eat the cookie everyday I came in. I even tried to get in early each morning to see if I could catch who was leaving the cookie, but that hadn’t worked out. Whoever it was, was very stealth like. I knew deep down there had to be a reason for all this and at some point the cat would have to be let out of the bag.
Months went by until finally one day, I came in and there was no cookie. I felt a little down, as this had become a routine for me until now. But then I noticed there was something else in its place; a note. I set my purse down on the floor and grabbed it. I pushed my long blond hair over my shoulder and sat down in one of my spare chairs. I immediately looked to the end of the note for the signature first and that’s when I seen it, Ben. I couldn’t contain myself. Ben was a co-worker and had just been recently promoted. He was a drop dead gorgeous mass of muscle and seemed a little shy. He would always flash me one of those hello smiles when I walked by, but I never thought there was anything behind it. I was a little giddy that this young stud (probably 10 years my junior) was interested in me. I couldn’t get the smile off of my face. I had never been involved with a co-worker before and always knew it was a bad idea. So many bad things could come out of this; but so many good things could too.
I read the note through. He stated he was completely inamorata of me and he was having a lot of trouble focusing lately. He had never had this happen before and new it probably wasn’t a good idea either. He didn’t know how to break the ice with me and after overhearing a conversation I had with another co-worker, he found out what my favorite cookie was and thought, he would just start with that. He didn’t plan for it to go on as long as it did and apologized for any uncomfortable feelings he may have imposed upon me. He then stated he was going to Soriento’s, a nearby restaurant on 5th and Vine this evening and as a complete shot in the dark, was hoping I would stop by at seven to have dinner with him. He stated if I didn’t show, he would understand. All I kept thinking after reading that last sentence was; are you kidding me? Dinner would be wonderful.
I stayed at the office until six, and then left with butterflies in my stomach. On my drive over to the restaurant, I thought of the pros and cons of what was about to happen. I walked in knowing I was early, hoping to get a drink in before he arrived to calm my nerves; but as soon as I opened the door and waked in, there he was. With a huge smile on his face, he stood up and walked over to me. He grabbed my elbow as he leaned in to place a soft, warm kiss on my cheek. I could feel the moistness of his lips and it all felt like slow motion. I knew at that moment, I was in big trouble.

marc
Private E-1

Postby marc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:45 pm

He thought it was a joke. On the desk at work when he went inside he saw a cookie. It was with cinnamon and sesame seeds. Just as he liked. He looked around and saw no one and ate it. After leaving the office carefully looked at everything. - Was it Jean? Perhaps Sandra? If this is a joke colleagues would probably not come out of the crapper.
But nothing happened.
The next day he asked, who is so kind to hell?,,.
Answered him laugh and a shrug.
Got used to it as to something obvious.
Shortly after entering office he would sit in a chair and reach for a cookie.
This went on for months maybe longer.

One day he found a card on the desk.
,, You were a good boss and that is why it left the job for you gift. But I have to leave the city and go home,,
Signed: Maria cleaner.
Barely remember it. One day she came to ask for a job. She said that her brother is gravely ill. She had no work permit.

tjourdan
Private E-1

Postby tjourdan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:18 pm

It was less of a note and more of a crumpled ball of paper, carelessly tossed on my desk. And no cookie.

"Well geez, that's disappointing." I shrug it off, grab the note and head into the breakroom.

I open the refrigerator door, and rummage through the various lunches, until I find my prize, a carton of milk shoved all the way to the back of the fridge. I grab it, along with a bagel. I think it's mine. And I grab some Philly cream cheese, always on the second shelf. It's Delores' but I don't think she minds. As far as I'm concerned, condiments are fair game.

As my (well, it's mine now, anyway) bagel is toasting, I pull the wad of paper from my pocket and de-crinkle it as best as I can.

"Chicken scratch," I sniff, "probly Mike. He's a such a tool."

I was hoping the cookies would satisfy your morning hunger. I can see now that I was wrong. Don't think we didn't realize it was you raiding our lunches every day. We all knew, Tom. We all knew it was you, but I was the only one to do anything about it.

Snickering to myself, I took a glob of the cream cheese, sniffed it, and slathered it on the bagel. I took a big bite, and as I chewed, I swallowed.

You're nothing more than a selfish, egotistical jerk, Tom. And so, that's why you'll get what you deserve.

I suddenly didn't feel so hot. A sharp pain in my stomach made me double over. As my head swam and I fell towards the ground, I read the last words of the note...

Enjoy the cream cheese Tom.

Delores

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges