[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Story Based on Your Favorite Song - 1/25 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Story Based on Your Favorite Song - 1/25

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
LLandDC
Private E-1

RE: Story Based on Your Favorite Song - 1/25

Postby LLandDC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:09 pm

I come disguised; I was hypnotized. I didn't know he attached this symbolic veil over me, sheilding my true personality from the world. I thought he was just a fling I was having. Summerboys, my girls liked to call them. That summer I changed all right, and you've probably already guessed it wasn't a change for the best.
The tans were just setting in as he started his plan. Weasel his way into my heart first, and then bare his obstensibly hidden fangs, threatening to pierce the skin. Once the skin was pierced, the poison would inject, and I would slowly succumb.

Metaphorically speaking.

Now, I'll start by saying, this isn't some stupid "he broke my heart and he just about killed me" story. He legitimately tried to kill me. Like, out for cold blood, attempted murder. And I'm still a little fuzzy on why he chose me. But he did.

avalanche_of_elysium
Sergeant First Class

Postby avalanche_of_elysium » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:37 am

Beginning line from: “I Need a Doctor,” by Dr. Dre, feat. Eminem

“I’m about to lose my mind – you’ve been gone for so long. You deciding to leave for the faerie kingdom hasn’t helped our family much, Kate, and you know that.” My sister, Tabitha, heaved a shallow breath and coughed blood onto the over-bleached bedspread of the hospital blankets. “Why did you leave, Kate? Why did you go to them?"

“I didn’t want to!” I protested. “I wanted to find a cure to your sickness!”

“You obviously didn’t or I wouldn’t be here in this hospital, gradually losing the last shreds of my sanity,” Tabitha said, closing her eyes – it seemed like she was trying to lose sight of the world. To lose sight of me. “I don’t think you realize that the faeries are enjoying this game, Kate. They are enjoying taking away my mind, placing my thoughts in their crystal jars, swishing around the jumbled contents for their Queen to see, and laughing delightedly at my slow destruction.”

“Not all faeries are that way,” I replied, stubbornly. “I have managed to-”

“All faeries are like that!” Tabitha threw off her bedcovers and grabbed the front of my shirt, twisting the layers with her bony hands. I shrunk back. “You, my own sister, my own blood, do not understand! Just because you can see them and they are nice to you, doesn’t mean that they are nice to rest of us! I am dying, Kate! I am perishing in front of your eyes, and you still insist on believing in the goodness of faeries!” She released her hold on the front of my shirt. “Go, Kate. Go live with them. You are no sister of mine.”

“But Tabitha, I-”

“But what? You would rather be their friend than my sister. I have no love for you.”

“I made a deal with the faerie Queen.” There. I said it. There is no return.

“You made a deal? With her?” Tabitha was silent. Her face had frozen. “What are the conditions?”

“Tomorrow, you will be cured of your illness. The mental stress that the faeries have placed on you will disappear, and they will relinquish all contact with you. No more faeries will ever approach you or our mother, and the Queen has agreed that all descendants of yours will be off limits from her. Your mind will return to you and your body will heal.” I stopped. I didn’t want to say what was next.

“What did you give her, in return?” Tabitha’s voice was gentle, yet it wavered slightly.

I hesitated. But I had to say. The deal had already been sealed in a world where vows are magically upheld, and with painful consequences for those that tried to shirk their rules. I had made my choice.

“I will take your place. The illness is mine. Insanity will be my future. I will be the Queen’s new toy. I will live in the Queen’s court, in an underground world, where they will cure me of the insanity, only to shove it back into my body, stronger than before. I will delight them. I will be in pain. But our family will be satisfied. Our mother will be happy that her favorite daughter will be cured of her illness, and that the ADD, misfit, underachieving slut named Katherine will be away from her sight. She will be happy that I will take your place.” I looked down at my shoes. “She will be happy that you are free.”

Tabitha was stunned. “But – why? Why, Kate? Why are you taking my pain? Why are you doing this for me?”

I sighed and stared at my sneakers again. “I promised you that I’d find a cure. I promised you that I would succeed. And I did.” I twisted my unmoving face into a grin and patted Tabitha’s arm. “Besides, you were always the smartest one of the family. Why should you lose your mind, when it’s actually got something in it? Me? I’m an alcoholic and I sleep around. Nothing lost there.” I stepped away from Tabitha. She was still in shock. “So… I’m going now, Tabitha. Gotta prepare myself for insanity. Bye.”

I reached for the doorknob.

“No! Katherine, please! Don’t leave me like this! Give me a hug, say something else, anything!” Tabitha reached out for me, her eyes pleading. But for what?

“I brought you back to life. What more do you want?”

I left.

CanolieGirl
Private E-1

Postby CanolieGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:54 am

"In your brown eyes, you walked away. In your brown eyes, you couldn't stay."

I watched as she gathered her things from my messy apartment. This was it; she was actually leaving. I couldn't believe it, but it all hit me when the door slammed behind her. I couldn't let her leave me. I loved her too much to let her go. I grabbed my jacket and followed her down the hall towards the elevator.
"Elena, wait!" I yelled after her. She turned back and faced me with her big brown eyes.
"Oh, 'you're sorry' and 'you want me back'? Save it, I've heard it all before. You're just like everyone else, the only difference is that you're a girl!" she said as she boarded.
"...please. You...you're the best thing that's happened to me. I'm literally in pain right now, because I keep thinking about you leaving. I...I love you, Elena." I said apologetically. She turned around to face me once more.
"Y-you what?" she asked confusedly.
"I absolutely, one-hundred percent, without-a-doubt love you with all of my heart. I don't want you to leave me. I want you forever and always. Always have, always will. The first day we met, you got me with those eyes...that smile. You have such a beautiful smile." I felt something warm slip down my cheek. I wiped it as she stared back at me in awe.
"I'm done. I just had to let you know how I felt. Go ahead, get on the elevator and leave if that's what you really--"
"No."
"..w-wait, what?" I looked up from my tear covered jacket and at her face.
"You... you love me?" she asked as tears fell over the rims of her eyes.
"I do. I love you, I want you...need you. I'd be nothing without you, and seeing you walk out the door broke me a lot inside." I said truthfully. She pulled me close and kissed me passionately as the elevator doors closed behind her. She pulled away and said:
"I'm not going anywhere, you hear me? I'll never leave you...ever. I promise, baby girl. I...I love you. So much, and don't you forget that." she said.
"I love you, too," I said. She grabbed her things from the floor in the complex hallway and I intertwined our fingers together as we walked back to the apartment we shared.

Mz. SoulKitten
Private E-1

Re: Story Based on Your Favorite Song - 1/25

Postby Mz. SoulKitten » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:52 pm

"BOY IM IN LOVE WITH YOU BABE AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW
THAT IM HOOKED ON YOUR BODY AND IM TRYIN TO BE YOURZ..."

I clearly remember the very 1st time I heard that song by The Dream. I immediately fell in love with it. I appreciated how the sound of the song was organized. It really stood out from the cliche work that other music producers were releasing.

I took a similar fall when I 1st laid eyes on one of my supervisors back in 2009 (the year that song was hot). See what happened was my boss had scheduled a mandatory meeting on the saturday before Memorial Day. My co-workers and I were really unhappy about it because it was scorching hot that morning and some of us had to take long bus rides for transportation. Anyhow, I remember roughly storming inside the bldg to take advantage of central air. As I walked further into the bldg to find a seat, I guy whom I've never seen before greeated me with a smile that gently kissed my skin like a ray of sun. He gave me a feeling that I hadn't felt in a while.

All throughout the meeting, I could tell that he sensed me staring at him. The boy was flawless. Incredible. Out of this world fine, not to mention his mannerism. OMG! So polite. Ain't a thug bone in his body. He offered everybody an ice-cold soda from the vending machine at his expense. Most turned down the offer due to strict water diets but I happily accepted. I really wasn't interested in soda on a hot day myself, I just wanted an excuse to get him close to me. He smelled so good. I think it was that AXE or TAG or something like that, I don't know. He was a dime piece and still is til this day.

A few days later, I sent him a friend's request on Facebook and he accepted. I suppose I would've been considered a stalker, but I blame him. He seduced me. Anyway, we would say hi to one another on FB, not even on a daily basis. More like once a week.

After viewing his pics, it was quite obvious that he was in a relationship so I thought it was best to just delete him to keep trouble under wraps. But I was thankful for the little chat we did share.

So all the rest of that summer, I found myself being reminded of him when my jam "Rockin That Thang" by The Dream played on the radio. Dang, those are one of those songs that you can never get tired of.

linda risk
Private E-1

Postby linda risk » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:32 pm

F***k'in Perfect by Pink
It's been one week since she has cut herself. The scars on her arms and legs are still fresh. The razor lies on top of the garbage bin in the downstairs bathroom. The blood stained tissues are scattered all over the floor and there are dried droplets of blood on the tile floor.
She doesn't know why she does it - all she remembers is that after the accident she needed to punish herself for damaging the other vehicle and this is the only way she knows how. It doesn't hurt anymore because she is numb. Her mom is there for her next to her hospital bed combing her hair with her hand. She repeats to her daughter over and over that she is "perfect" just the way she is. She is "perfect".

anyuta34i
Private E-1

Re: Story Based on Your Favorite Song - 1/25

Postby anyuta34i » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:13 pm

On October 4 after the crops were all gathered and stored for the long winter,the cooking fires in the homes would be put out. The Druids,the Celtic priests,would meet at the top of the hill in the dark oak forest[oak trees were thought to be sacred.The Druids would light new fires,and then offered some crops and animals which they killed to their God. As they danced around the fires,the season of the sun passed and the season of darkness would begin.

Bellaisthename
Private E-1

Postby Bellaisthename » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:33 am

"If you could only see the beast you've made of me."
The woods were still, the trees blocking the light of the moon from reaching the worn path before me. It was faint, a presence I could sense just beyond the oaks.
"I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free."
The words rolled off my tounge as I twirled a frail piece of greyish moss between my fingers. Water from the rain rolled off it and down my arm. Pulling away, I gently swirved my head around. A shadow moved between the trees. I couldn't help but smile, pulling the black lace folds of my dress above my ankles and slowly moving towards it.
"Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart." I whispered into the darkness.
The shadow moved slowly closer, still seeking refuge behind the rotting trunks of the oaks.
"Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart."
The shadow was briefly bathed in moonlight that had found its desperate way between tree branches. It was a man. His blue eyes shone brighter than the moon itself- flashing a look of fear and desperation before ducking behind a tree once more.
I moved slowly to the tree, my dress flowing like a black river behind me, the intricate lace designs getting tangled in the webs of moss on the ground. The man was still, eyes closed, holding his breath.
"My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in. You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl. My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in. You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to..."
The man tensed, feeling my closeness.
"HOWL! HOWL!" I sang loudly into his ear.
He opened his eyes and met mine- golden, round, cat-like, and aglow. Screaming, he turned to run. I grabbed his collar, pulling him back. He pulled out a shiny silver knife and began to stab wildely into the air.
I through my head back and laughed. This is the one they'd sent to kill me? A small and fearful peasent boy? What a shame. Considering this was all they had left after their many attempts, I guess finding Sereous was going to be a snap.
I wrenched the knife ou tof hte young boy's grasp and held it to his throat.
"Would you like to die now, or have me chase you home? I'd be sure to give you a head start." I sneared, putting pressure on the blade.
"CHASE! Please!"
"Fine then." I said letting go. "You have 10 seconds."
He stared blankly.
"I'd start running." I said, bearing my fangs.

theSkilled
Private E-1

Postby theSkilled » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:15 pm

"Bye Bye Blackbird" by Liza Minnelli

Pack up all my care and woe, grabbed a few essentials and kissed my daughter's forehead for the last time. That was all I remember of that cold December night of 1983. That night I left my husband to pursue my doomed career of an actress. I never called, never looked back, and never remembered those sweet lemonade summers, rosey springs and crisp autumn days. Now here I sit, an old woman, and write Michelle, my only child, a letter. It goes:

Dear Michelle,

My name is Emma Frostenne. December 22, 1983 was the night I made my biggest mistake. You were four then, I remember it like yesterday. There was a Winnie the Pooh nightlight in your room, the house smelt of burnt cookies, my fault of course, and you had on a pink nightdress. I kissed your forehead and took the essentials, some money, some food and the white ribbon from your hair. I never wanted to forget your smell, your look, your laugh and your smile. You are my essential. So, with all the love I can bring I must say, bye bye, Blackbird.

Love,

Your mother

missycamp
Private E-1

Postby missycamp » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:53 am

Precious and Fragile Things

Precious and fragile things need special handling. These 'things' are our children. Take, for instance, Joe.

Joe had a strung-out mother addicted to pain pills, and a drunken father. His mother was so 'out of it' most of the time, she basically ignored and neglected the child. The alcoholic dad had a temper problem, and took it out on his young son. He daily screamed at the boy, calling him names and cursing, and frequently struck the child with his bare hands.

Naturally, Joe became a shy young man lacking in self-esteem and self-respect. He had no friends to call his own, he was teased and bullied at school, and did not fare well academically. However, inside his timid shell, lay anger and resentment for his parents. Somewhere inside him—beneath the veil of insecurity—he knew he didn't deserve this mistreatment. Yet, in his case (as is most common), he would never see it.

One day, as a young adult struggling to make it in a community college, he found a girl. She was everything he wanted and needed in a woman--Susan. She too was shy, and had experienced her own brand of suffering at the hands of those who were supposed to love and support her most. She was kind and compassionate, intelligent, and pretty too. So Joe married the young lady after they both graduated. Within two years of marital bliss, they had a daughter, Elizabeth.

Then it began. Joe's boss was breathing down the young man's neck; Susan couldn't work anymore due to an accident that left her unable to even stand for long periods of time, and neither knew anything abut how to raise a child.

Their infant suffered for it. Suzie would scream at the three-month old, and shake the baby in her frustration, though luckily not hard enough to cause brain damage or death. Joe took up drinking, and began verbally abusing his loving wife and infant.

For Joe, the abuse started with the verbal, then moved on to throwing and breaking things, and ultimately, physical abuse—beginning with slapping his wife and baby, then on to 'light' hitting, then on to 'hard hitting,' with his fists on their faces and bodies.

Meanwhile, while enduring the emotional and physical abuse from the man she loved dearly, Joe's beloved wife began to abuse her own flesh and blood even more strongly than before (by the time the baby was six months of age). She started with the screaming, cussing, and shaking the baby harder than before, then began to slap her daughter, then moved on to hitting Liz hard on top of the head—then, finally, moved up to both neglecting the child (putting in ear plugs or headphones on to drown out the crying), and hitting Liz so hard it left bruises on her.

The pair, as is quite common with child abuse victims, were repeating the cycle. So tell me...how do you suppose Liz grew up? What type of childhood did she experience while in school? What kind of person did she mot likely become as a young adult? What do you suppose she did to her child or children once she had them?

Not all of us who suffered abuse are strong (or even willing) enough to admit to the fact that we were indeed abused, nor that we become abusers ourselves, much less try to get professional help for all of it. Thus, the cycle repeats—until someone 'wakes up' and gets help, thus ending the cycle. No one—our children especially—deserve such treatment. Yet not all receive the loving, tender care they DO deserve. We, as a nation and a People, need to more strongly address the issue of abuse and the cycle that nearly always repeats.

So do what you can—speak up when you witness abuse, call Child Protective Services and/or the police, start a petition for governmental interjection into the matter, start a grass-roots (word-of-mouth) campaign against it, whatever. Do your part; do what you can—because Precious and Fragile things need special handling!

hailey43
Private E-1

Postby hailey43 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:43 am

Cold Blooded (Contains mild adult scenes)

“I know that it’s freezing, but I think we have to walk,” he said, apologetically, enveloping me in his arms, trying to keep what little body heat we had left between us.
“We’ll be alright, it’s not far away now,” I said, relaxing into his embrace and keeping as close to him as possible. We’d come out of a loud party and taxis refused anyone nearby for safety reasons, which, I guess was reasonable, but we didn’t drink, so it seemed a little unreasonable that we were being punished because our friends couldn’t handle their drink, we didn’t mind the walk, but nights like this we would have appreciated a taxi home.
We began to walk, letting the noise of the continuing party crash around us, letting everyone stumble around us as they too tried to get home. I began to shiver uncontrollably as the night began to get colder and darker, he pulled me closer into him and we picked up the pace. We dipped into a secluded alleyway; dangerous at this time of night, but a much quicker way to get back home into our warm bed. I revelled in that thought, thinking about his body wrapped around mine as we drifted into a deep, peaceful sleep. A smile played on my lips, warming my insides for a moment; until we heard small echoing footsteps behind us. We walked faster; determined to get out of the alleyway before whoever it was behind us caught up with us. It was probably another straggler, or a completely harmless person on a night time stroll to clear his thoughts; but we couldn’t take that risk. As soon as we sped up, however, so did our pursuer; we were being followed. We broke out into a flat out run, his hand gripping mine tight, pulling me along at the same speed, until my toe caught on a stray bin bag and I tumbled to the floor; it wasn’t a bad fall; just a few grazes and a twisted ankle, but it slowed us down; meaning it wasn’t long before the stalker wasn’t far behind. I tried to ignore the pain in my ankle as we ran deeper into the alleyway, but before long it got unbearable and I had to stop before my ankle gave way.
“Don’t wait for me, go on, I’ll be ok, I can’t slow you down,” I told him, not wanting him to come to harm because of me.
“Don’t be an idiot, I can’t leave you here alone, you could get killed and it’d be my fault. I have a plan anyway.”
He led me, limping, into a dark doorway, he messed my hair up a little and lifted me onto his hips and pushed my skirt up. A smile played on my lips; this I could live with. I kissed him deeply, my legs wrapping around him; playing as drunken lovers was a common plan; but it worked; no one would want to disturb anyone mid-coitus. Or so we thought.
Hands reached out a grabbed him by the throat, ripping him away from me and into the wall opposite us. His head slammed into the wall making a sickening crunch and he crumpled to the floor in a heap unconscious. Tears sprang to my eyes and rage filled my chest; why would a random stranger do this to the man that I loved? The rage quickly disappeared when I saw the man towering over me. He was extremely pale with the brightest eyes I’d ever seen; I was transfixed by his beauty. A small smile crept to his pale lips and he bent in to kiss me, I succumbed to him and as his tongue brushed over mine I tasted a sharp twang of copper; blood. I recoiled quickly, hitting my head on the wall behind me in haste. He laughed quietly and rushed over to my unconscious boyfriend, bent over him and then I heard the worst sound I’d ever heard; my boyfriend’s dying scream as the vampire bent over him sucked the life out of him. I knelt next to the vampire and took my boyfriend’s hand, trying to reassure him as the life was fading from his eyes.
He was gone. The vampire straightened up, wiped the tears from my eyes, he kissed me one more time and left. Everything I had was gone in this alleyway, now I was alone; I curled up next to my boyfriend and cried into his chest.

Thanks for reading :) the song is Lua by Bright Eyes, hope you liked it :)

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges