Snow Day - 1/11

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Snow Day - 1/11

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Snow Day - 1/11

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 am

Write about a day during your elementary school years where school was cancelled due to snow. Remember waking up to the "good" news? How you filled your newfound free time?

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

Mary Lizzie
Private E-1

Re: Snow Day - 1/11

Postby Mary Lizzie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:45 am

What could be better than a snowstorm in the mountains? Waking up to a cold room, looking out the window that resembled crackled glass from the freezing temperatures, turning the knob on the television; and yes, I said knob, the thing before digital or even push button, only to find there was no electricity in the house or neighborhood for that matter. How could this be good? You ask. Well, after grabbing the bare necessities and bundling up for the long walk to my uncles with neighboring relatives joining the group of well insulated alien forms on the journey to warmth, food, fun and games, there were two good reasons... No school for days and sleigh riding from daylight til dark, breaking for an occasional mug of homemade hot chocolate or watching grandma make snow creme from fresh fallen snow. If we weren't playing outside, we were playing games with the dozen or so family members holed up at my uncles. It was like Christmastime, listening to stories of snowstorms the elders experienced during their childhood, which were far worse than the one we was in, no doubt. Eventually, the electricity would come back on and we'd say goodbye to our gracious hosts and the family of snowmen, women and children that we left in their front yard.

Trissa
Private E-2

Postby Trissa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:16 am

Wednesday morning. Another day of readin', writin', and 'rithmetic. I dragged my little butt out of the warm toastiness of my quilted cocoon only to freeze said butt on the way to the bathroom. Even at the ripe old age of ten, I was quickly learning that me and morning didn't mix, especially in winter.

Downstairs I heard mom rattling around the kitchen, singing to the radio as she got the family's daily ration of oatmeal ready. Her singing stopped for a minute. She turned the radio up but I wasn't paying attention. I was busy brushing my teeth, hauling my long brown hair into a ponytail, and wondering if I would ever get to sit next to that cute new guy in history.

"Mona!" Mom called up the stairs. "Hey, baby, guess what. No school today!"

I froze. Not as in cold froze, but did-I-hear-right froze. My body tingled with anticipation. Was it true? My feet pounded down the hall back to my bedroom. My breath frosted the window pane as I stared at that wonderful blanket of white. Huge fluffy flakes poured from the sky covering everything in sight. The fire hydrant in front of our house all but disappeared. Suddenly, I felt wide awake and ready for the day.

I inhaled the oatmeal as it hit the bowl. My friends, Arlene and Carla, were already at our back door before I finished washing up. They visited with mom while I bundled up under her watchful eyes. "I want to see that hat on your head, young lady," she yelled as we took off. Soon the yard was covered in snow angels and an entire family of snow people. I was putting the finishing touches on a little snow person when...WHAM! A snowball came from nowhere knocking half my snowman's face away.

"Michael! Trent! You guys leave us alone," Arlene screamed. Her big brothers laughed from their hiding place behind our evergreens. They had sneaked up and already had several snowballs ready. Soon we were being pelted with snowballs. We started making our own, but it was hard to keep up. We were doomed...or so it seemed. Then...PLOP! Michael stood from behind the evergreen and screamed. There at the back steps was mom! She had bundled up when she saw Michael and Trent and she now had her own little pile of snowballs. After a few minutes, the boys called "uncle". Soaked and exhausted we all climbed the back steps into the kitchen. My friends stayed for mugs of hot chocolate. When mom started her "getting ready to fix dinner" noises, they took the hint and said their "good-byes".

When dad got home that night, he asked how my snow day had gone. "Looks like there was quite a battle out there", he said.

Mom smiled and gave me a wink.

RileySue
Private E-1

RE: Snow Day - 1/11

Postby RileySue » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 am

It was 1957 and I was ten years old. My family lived on Mt. Scott in Portland, Oregon and snow was a rare event, especially snow that accumulated and stayed on the ground for more than a day. My brother and I learned the good news…no school due to snow!... from Mom, who was not nearly as elated as we were. She already had to ride herd on my two younger sisters who were not yet in school, and now had us unexpectedly underfoot as well.

Much more quickly than we ever got ready for school, we dressed ourselves in sweaters, snow suits, boots, hats, coats and gloves and headed outside. In no time, a group of 10 or 11 kids had gathered in the empty lot across from our house and we were joined by at least 5 dogs that seemed to be enjoying the white stuff as much as we were. Moms in the neighborhood didn’t need to worry about what to do with kids home from school. We stayed outside most of the day, looking for steeper hills to sled and for the perfect sticks and stones to add to our snowmen. When we did give up to the cold and wet, hot chocolate was our reward! Each of us went to sleep thinking “isn’t life wonderful?”

It was the next morning before I figured out how Mom learned that school had been cancelled. She was leaning on the kitchen counter with coffee in hand, her ear close to the radio. I adopted a similar position to Mom without having a clue as to what we were waiting to hear. Finally, the announcement came: “Since there has been no new snow, Portland Public Schools will be open as usual today.” Mom smiled, I frowned, and morning life returned to normal.

Riding the bus down from Mt. Scott to Happy Valley Elementary School, I pondered the wonderfulness of having a snow day. Now, what could we do to cause them to happen more often, I wondered! I vowed to get in touch with Mother Nature as soon as possible and plead the case for at least one snow day a month during the winter, for myself and on behalf of school children everywhere!

Gladys
Private E-2

Postby Gladys » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Oh that was a day or rather a week I will never forget. It was in the early '50's when I was in grade 4 in Aldergrove B.C.
There was a snow warning like there is now in Vancouver but that weekend it not only snowed there was what was called a silver thaw, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. No thawing about it at all though, everything froze, electric wires were surrounded by ice and some snapped from the pressure, trees branches cracked from the weight of the ice, water mains broke from the ice. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, the sun shinning on ice everywhere.
Schools were closed for the week because of no heat, no water, no electricity. What I did was to skate on the creek behind our home that was frozen as well. It was the first and only time I ever skated outside. It was wonderful and is a cherished memory. I don't even remember it being cold just beautiful and enjoyable but then I was only 10. What did I know of the hardship of the adults surrounding me? I was just having the time of my life.

Pamwrites
Private E-1

Postby Pamwrites » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:13 am

:o Looking out at the snow laden trees with their branches straining from its weight through the kitchen sliding door window. My whole person was filled with gloom, doom, dry air and cabin fever. Blah. This feeling stayed with me throughout my childhood. So much so that I moved as soon as possible. I now live in sunny North Carolina. Althougth the weather has been near freezing for nearly a month and a half. To boot it's snowed twice with a few inches that stayed on the ground for a couple days! Escape? ESCAPE? I'm beginning to wonder ... ! New found freedom? I did fill the time with books that would take me to places overseas. This fueled my imagination and desire to travel to far away places. For the better portion of my growing years I often fantasized about becoming a stewardess. Traveling here and far and never staying still. But when I reached the working age I learned that I didn't meet the minimum height requirement. Go figure. The wish to experience different people and places never left me though. As a fourth grader looking out my bedroom window at the beauty the snow offered. I never would have imagined traveling to the places that I did and the way that I did it.
Do I remember waking up to the good news about a snow day? Only when I didn't want to have to make that silly speach in front of my classmates. But the impending dread only returned when the snow melted :( . Now however, when I realize that I'll be traped for a few days. It's good news. I know that I can go for a ssslllooowww run on dry patches of road return to a warm cup of something and go to far away places via the boob tube verses a book... :)

Richard81086
Private E-1

Postby Richard81086 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Winter, winter, winter, that magical word that describes to kids every where the time of sledding, and snowball fights. Growing up in Wisconsin there’s never a shortage of fresh powder on the ground during any given time of the year. The artificial mountains that we climbed and played on made up the weekends, but rare was the day that we would wake up to find school had been cancelled.
Living here, the plows and stock of people were too proud to let a day of fancy book learning go by. So those early mornings spent an inch away from the television checking and rechecking the bottom for our school’s name was more often than not in vain.
But there was a time once when I was young and had heard my parents talking about the impending storm. The sweet recipe for a day off of school was very precise. See there had to be snow actively falling, driving in fact, so that you could barely see. Yet even that wouldn’t be enough for more than an hour delay or so. What you needed next was temperatures so cold that your toes curled inside your boots when you even dared to go outside. That way the roads would freeze and it’d be too tough to get out there.
When it all came together though, that was joy. We’d tell our parents before they had even shaken off the night’s sleep, and most of the time they didn’t believe us. But once they got the news themselves then me and brothers would help ourselves to an extra breakfast, only this one would be enjoyed. Before the clock had reached eight we had already eaten our way through a box of Pop-Tarts and were still in our pajamas. After that, we might venture outside, but the thing about growing up here is that snow isn’t so special. It’s something to be tolerated and appreciated when it gives you a day off, but never really enjoyed.
So we’d watch movies, half of which were never in their right box. I’m old enough to remember VHS and can recall us fighting over what to watch next. That was one of my more cherished memories actually; my brothers and I forced to deal with each other and trusted not to burn down the house while our parents were gone.
The rest of my day was spent napping, reading, and eating. Books like ‘The Boxcar Children’ were a constant around the house and once I had had my fill of transient kids then I’d go out and shovel the path, while offering to do my neighbor’s driveway for a small price and some cookies.
And you’re right, we did eat a lot, so when the day came that involved all of us staying home, it became a bit like a wolf den. That’s the thing I remember most. Snowmen were built on weekends with my father and mother during the day, before playing with the other kids at night. But that snow day, and I do mean just the one, was spent with my brothers. We fought, yelled, and ate, but it was great getting all of that stuff out of the way during the day, so that we could all enjoy a nice, quiet evening before getting ready to go back to school the next day.

Eilasmin
Private E-1

Postby Eilasmin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:11 pm

The alarm screamed like a crying baby tearing me from blissful sleep. With much disappointment I angrily punch my alarm clock to shut it up and laid in bed staring at the darkened ceiling for a moment.
“Ugh, school.” I remembered and reluctantly dragged myself out of my warm cozy bed into the freezing cold room.
Just as I was gathering up what clothes I was going to wear for the day, my sister barged through the door blurting out “dude!” and pointed to the window.
“What happened?” I asked as I walked to the window and opened up my curtains.
There it was, white powder as far as the eye could see. Gleaming in the soft light of the dying street lamps. It rarely ever snowed here in California, especially this much. It was as if someone had went out in the night and dumped thousands of pounds of mashed potatoes all over the neighborhood.
“Dude.” I repeated.
“Guess what the best part it?”
“What?”
“No school!” She blurted hardly able to contain herself.
“Really?!” I spun around and watched my sister jump up and down.
“It’s on the news.”
I ran to my nightstand and grabbed the remote.
“What channel is it on?”
“Channel seven, duh.”
As I watched, the blonde lady on the news named off all of the schools in the area that had been canceled. I was becoming a little disheartened until finally she uttered the words “Mountain City High School, closed due to snow.”
“Yes!” I screamed and began jumping up and down with my sister chanting ‘no school’.
It was the most glorious news I had heard in a long time. I started rattling off all the things I would do in my head. Such as; Pig out on last nights’ pizza, write about the snow on facebook, watch re-runs on MTV, etc. As soon as my sister had decided to go tell the rest of the house the glorious news I closed the curtains.
“Man, this is awesome.” I said to myself as I watch the snow storm on the news and then turned off the television. Yawning, I climbed into my warm bed and closed my eyes.

Ott
Private E-1

Postby Ott » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:53 am

No school today! FREEDOM!!
Wait. Radio said some are pending closing. Not Confirmed. Snow is easing up in places.
Not closed? How dare they? Don't they know it's cold outside; snow is falling; it's dangerous. Oakland Elementary may lose its student population if they hold class in this blizzard.
I know what I'll do - I have a fever and have to stay home no matter what the school does.
I put on my heavy pants, jacket, galoshes and stocking hat, preparing to go out.
The queen of the house says I can't go outside if I stay home because of a fever. Some logic.
I listen to the radio, willing it to close the school.
It comes through; school is closing . I am miraculously cured of my illness.
I head outside to play. Others in my neighborhood are already building snowmen.
We start throwing snowballs at each other, kicking other snowmen down and running around like maniacs.
Queen of the house stands at the porch yelling at me to come in. I don't hear her until she is standing next to me a few minutes later pulling me toward the house.
She says I have to stay inside because I declared fever before the school declared closure. Politics sucks.
I watch TV. I hate school.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges