Your 2011 Resolutions - 1/4

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Richard81086
Private E-1

Re: Your 2011 Resolutions - 1/4

Postby Richard81086 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Like all aspiring writers my goal is the simple, yet at times seemingly insurmountable one of getting published. Getting published is like losing your virginity all over again, just less awkward and more public. For me writing is my craft, my passion, and what I intended to do in life, so the desire to be published is a strong one. It’s not necessarily to feed some sort of ego maniacal desire to showcase my work, but rather an acknowledgment of my belief that I have talent that is recognizable. It’s more a pick me up than a pat on the back.
Only being twenty four, I realize that I have a tremendous amount of time to both experiment with my writing style and eventually get published. But as all of you can remember at this age, patience is not one of the more honed traits. Even if it doesn’t happen this year I know that it will eventually come to pass. How do I know this? Blind, unflinching optimism of course of is the answer. It’s part of my generations DNA to think that we can manufacture this belief that things will happen for us and thus will the universe into bending to our wishes. It could be folly, but I’d like to believe it’s working, besides in this economy for people my age it ultimately comes down to making things happen for yourself, which besides the fact that I love doing it, is one of the major reasons I write. In an uncontrollable world, writing stories is the one thing I have power over, and being a control freak I knew that I would excel in either writing, or the asylum after OCD defeated me.
With that being said, here’s to a great year not only for me, but for all the writers out there. The ones who have their foot in the door, here’s to you knocking it down. And for the ones out there like me, who’re just trying to find the right address, here’s hoping we do. But if not, then to hell with it, at least we’ll have a damn fine story to tell about our travels.

DreamingWriterGirl
Sergeant Major of the Army

Location: Stumbling through the dark (WHACK) and I found the coffee table.

Postby DreamingWriterGirl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:55 pm

I hope to actually complete a book in 2011. That would make me most happy! I'll worry about getting published after I write the book. :)

BK2
Private E-1

Postby BK2 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:55 pm

1) Write something at least every other day, if not every day.
2) Work up to writing 500 words before noon, regardless of where I am.
3) Participate more in the Writer's Digest Forums.
4) Get the confidence to enter at least one writing contest this year.
5) Finish All I Ever Wanted and get it published.

wikidemicpear
Private E-1

Postby wikidemicpear » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Let's see. I'd say the biggest one is to finish rewriting the first book I ever finished: Undercover with a Vampire: Family Ties. Also, to maintain my weight through the first year of college. Hm... another good one would be to go to the gym at least three times a week. I already went one this week, let's make it two more... And I'd say that's all good.

Gladys
Private E-2

RE: Your 2011 Resolutions - 1/4

Postby Gladys » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 am

I make New Years resolutions every year and some are kept and others are forgotten until the last minute. This year I have decided to get a mentor to give me a push if I haven't completed my goal of submitting one manuscript to a publisher or agent a month. I make this resolution every year but haven't had a mentor to help me.
I also have made the resolution to lose weight and made that one again also. I should have a mentor for this one as well but don't. I want to, no I need to lose at least 50 pounds by Christmas 2011. That is a goal I need help to complete.
Another resolution I made is to stop worrying about finances. I always have enough. God is my supply and I trust Him to supply my needs and support me.
Happy New Year to everyone and I hope we all can keep at least one of our resolutions in 2011

dee_white
Private E-1

Postby dee_white » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:59 am

I resolve that this year, 2011, will be the year that I am finally introduced to myself. Too many early January weeks spent making other people's resolutions my own over the years. This year that will stop. This past year is certainly one that I was thrilled to see fall from my calendar. A new song is already leaving my lips with all the strength my voice can muster. Let's see if I can hold that note past MLK day.

Subhana
Private E-1

Postby Subhana » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:39 am

I prefer to reframe "resolutions" with "intentions" to set the tone for the next 12 months.

1) Stop fully at stop signs.
2) At least one finished poem a month.

So! On to the poem for January!

Enehwrites
Private E-1

Postby Enehwrites » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 am

1. Write thirty 2,000 word short stories by the end of 2011! :o

2. Write 1,000 words EVERY DAY! :emoticon:

3. READ ten times as much as I write! ;)

pkaushik
Private E-1

Postby pkaushik » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:29 pm

After making dozens of resolutions every New Year and failing in each of them every time, I decided to change gears this time. My resolution for this year is one and fairly simple, just focus on one thing at a time. If watching TV, concentrate on idiot box. If reading a book or writing a story, just do that and don’t go surfing net in between or texting on face-book for that matter. Now to my frustration, I have already started failing in this one. I was supposedly working on my presentation this morning when I impulsively opened Writer’s Digest webpage in a new window. God I hate technology, it always comes in the way of my resolutions and me.

pkaushik
Private E-1

Postby pkaushik » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:30 pm

:(

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges