A Letter to Future You (6 Months Edition) - 6/29

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
MikeyBiggs
Private E-1

RE: A Letter to Future You (6 Months Edition) - 6/29

Postby MikeyBiggs » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:26 am

Mike,

It's Wednesday September 29th, 2010. I'm writing this letter to see what we can accomplish in the next 6 months and beyond. I'm writing to remind you where you have come from and what our goals are together. I say together because I plan to be a differnt person in 6 months. A better version of me today, that's you. It will then be up to you to continue on that path and make us both proud when you become the future you as I will be come the future me, which is you.

We need to be well on our way to making some serious healthy changes in our lives. I've started it now and by the time you get this letter I should have laid a decent foundation for you to build upon. It will only benefit our future selves as they come along if you can take the next step.

Samantha will be 7 by the time you read this. She is growing so fast. Her reading is excellent and in 6 months she will be riding that bike. No more putting it off. So that will also mean you will have a number of bike riding obligations. You know how she is and she won't take no for an answer. Oh and by the way, I'm signing you up next week to coach her little league team. The season starts right about the time you'll get this letter. Good luck!!

Mickey will be 3 when you get this letter. He will be in school 5 days a week. Hopefully his apnea issues have continued to improve. His Down Syndrome will never go away but some of the extra health issues have been improving and should continue to get better once you get here. He's walking now and should be quite the character for you. Mickey and I are cut from the same mold and I hope you keep that bond and closeness with him. I believe Brenda and I will be potty training him also soon. So you may either have a mess on your hands or an easy time. Again, Good luck with that.

You will be married to Brenda 10 years when you get this letter. She should be in the final trimester of her nursing school by then. I'm so proud of her. She fought of some tough times and is making changes in her life to help her be a happier more productive part of our family. Don't let her slip backwards. Don't hold her up, but don't let her fall either. She needs us as much as we need her. She may not believe it but she is the webbing that ties our family together. She has talked a lot about having another child. I can't stop thinking about it myself. So uh, good luck with that too , I guess...

Finally work. Well what can you say? Hopefully I win the lotto before you come around and we can laugh and say, "Work? What's work?" If not by the time you get this the uncertainty of my job will be a certainty. They have begun processes to outsource our positions. They tell us we will have an 'opportunity' to stay with the new company. Two kids, a house, and a wife in school, I don't want an opportunity I want a job. There has been talk about some job retention. I will be applying, maybe I can pick one of those up. Maybe you will be part of the union by then. Who knows? If not, I'm not really sure what a 38 year old with no trade type skill has to offer in the workplace. The jobless rate continues to climb each day and by the time you come around it may very well be worse. Again, good luck. We may all need it.

So that's a quick snapshot of my life today. I hope that you have the foundation I'm trying to set for you and the family continues to bring all the joy it does today. I know you and I will always do what is necessary for our family and I hope you don't have to sacrifice time with them to support them. I will try and make the right decisions to do what is best for you and them.

Good luck,
6 months ago Mike

Sheba
Private E-1

Postby Sheba » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:15 am

To Sheba, a little older,

You should be proud of yourself. You are pulling the pieces of your life back together beautifully. It’s been a rough year, and it’s not over yet, but continue to stay positive – that’s what makes all the difference. You aren’t the first wife to be abandoned like this. Buck up. Life isn’t meant to be easy. It’s how you bypass the bumps in the road that makes you who you are.

I wish you could tell me how it all turns out in the end, but it looks like I need to go through it all myself. So instead of asking you questions you can’t answer, I’ll give you a little advice.

Wondering what to do next is all fine and dandy, but enough dreaming, okay? I think it is the time for action, so I hope you are done with all the procrastinating by now.
Put in the effort, work toward that dream of yours (you know which one) and if you give it your all and don’t give up, you will succeed. If there is anyone that knows you, it’s me. I know what you are capable of.

About Nathan – I hope you gave up that incessant worrying. You are hindering his quest for independence. Give him the credit he deserves. He just turned two and already knows all his colors.

Lastly, remember that this too shall pass. One day, maybe in another six months, you won’t have to pull that smile out – it will be plastered on your face and you won’t be able to stop.

Till next time,

Sheba, a little younger

avalanche_of_elysium
Sergeant First Class

Postby avalanche_of_elysium » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Nice letter! Sounds pretty much like what I'm saying to myself right now.

avalanche_of_elysium
Sergeant First Class

Postby avalanche_of_elysium » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:36 pm

To elleb,

God bless you and your husband, ma'am, and you have my respect and prayers.

Sincerely,
Lene

Aquawoman25
Private E-1

Postby Aquawoman25 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:40 am

Dear Aquawoman,

Six months from now you will have a job, hopefully a career. Also, You will do very well on your writing pitch and an agent wants the book it's a young adult book. You will have your permit so, you can practice driving. Finally, you will start dating and have a boyfriend. Your future will be better trust me if you play your cards right. I forget to add you will have money to go to college to become a teacher. Being a writer and teacher is kind of interesting.

Sincerely,
Future

N.Chaos
Private E-1

Re: A Letter to Future You (6 Months Edition) - 6/29

Postby N.Chaos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:07 pm

You,
Hopefully by now you’ve realized how many times you’ve shot yourself in the foot. I’m surprised you’ve got a metaphorical leg left to stand on, if you do by this point. How many times have you promised to yourself and everyone else to get help, to really quit this time? How much money have you wasted on cigarettes, on liquor, on various ways to dig that hole even deeper? Too much. Be it ten dollars or ten thousand, too goddamn much.

Just accept it. Hell, embrace it. He’s gone. You’re better for it. EVERYONE is better for it. Realize that things are better than they ever could’ve been when he was still around, and move on with life. Stop procrastinating, stop looking back on the failures and look forward to whatever may come. Because whatever it is, it will never be as bad as it was.

Oh, and stop viewing those deadlines as personal D-Day. Deadlines area motivation, not a punishment. They’re a reassurance that yes, someone actually does want to hear your rants. Go with it. Take it further, deeper, and darker if you have to. But never get away from yourself, Self. Don’t try to fake it again, don’t write something that’s not yours again.

twistjill
Private E-1

Postby twistjill » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:34 am

June 6, 2011

Dear Jill,
You amaze me. Your thirst after some “thing,” some palpable substance gnawed away at you and stopped you from every being fully content or satisfied. But this is you. This is what made you into you. You are motion that has been concentrated into a buzzing kernel and you bounce and vibrate down this path. A life. An entire life for you to explore, to poke your fingers through and feel around. So many points on this abstract grid of life. Bounce with vigor and purpose, and you will fly off like a jetstream. You know this; you have always known this. For the buzz flickers around inside your limbs, inside your senses.

Right now, you need the security of one overarching word that captures and validates your entire life. With one breath you expect to do all that! The word of the moment is creativity. Over 2010, you have ventured forth into unknown territory, a little more each day. You feel the need to twist your mind, testing its ability to contort itself into new shapes. Hands are your mediator of the day. Your medium—anything that your hands touch. Paint, pencil lead, magazine clippings. Words.
Oh, how words enthrall you, enchant and encase you in their potentiality. In their finite letters, how aggressive they are in their presence as one and only one. In their infinite interpretations, how reticent they are to commit to a meaning. How reluctant they are to embrace one strand of meaning. There duplicitous nature is ineluctable.

You look towards people that have something you want in yourself. You study them to see how they make such desires into flesh. They are models and your utter respect and admiration for them is beautiful. But remember to look to yourself for what you have done. For what you are capable of doing. Do not forget your mantra of today: You are better today than you were yesterday.

With much love always,
Jill

Kathleen925
Private E-1

Postby Kathleen925 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Dear Self,

Today is January 12, 2011, you have accomplish so much in the last 21 years. You have become a mature young woman that is now walking in the eyes of the Lord. The meaning of Life to you is being cherished and everything is not taken for granted. Life is not as easy as it seems to be but to achieve eveything that you want in life, you must learn to work for everything that you want. I want you to always rememeber to stay close to God and family because that is all you have in the end. Everyone that was in your life and that is coming in your life will be temporary. Stay Firm in Prayer and in the Bible. God has bless you like no other has, only he can make things happen for you. As you are achieving and striving to become a Lawyer, you always remember where you came from and who has been behind through it all. There is Nobody Greater than Jesus and you will not be afraid because God will always be there to comfort you. Trust and have Faith in the lORD and all the accomplishment will come. Thank God when you wake up and go sleep. You can always depend on God, for he is always with you in the midst of everything. For God so love the world.
P.S. you are never alone, just pray and he will come
Sincerely,
Yourself

Telliot
Major

Postby Telliot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Dear me of later in life,

If you're still alive, you better not suck!

That is all.

loganatr
Private E-1

Postby loganatr » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:07 pm

Logantr-of-the-future,

I know I've written letters to you before, often at summer camp, and notably at economics camp, but I wanted to write you again to apprise you of what's been going on lately and let you know about some things I'd like you to keep in mind.

First of all, don't judge youself too harshly. Honestly, I can' think of anything more compelling to tell you than that. You are what you are, baby! On the other hand, if you're not at least ten pounds heavier, haven't read fifty or so more books, finished another semester of school, found a permanent job that pays more than the old one, haven't moved out of the house, paid down your credit card debts, and haven't set up a cool trip to somewhere, you might as well just not even get out of bed. Seriously, though, I'd really like for that to happen, so don't take it too lightly if that's not the case.

Oh, and you need to buy a car too.

I hope your musical tastes expand, and that you have a good relationship or series of relationships, or whatever you want to call the situation you find yourself in then. Keep it real, man.

I hope you've beaten that video game that can suck up literally months of peoples' time, without it sucking up months of your time. I hope your relationship with your brother is good, is solid and open and honest, and that you've come to peace more with your parents and their roles in your life, and with your sister as well. That's one of the big reasons I came home, and one of the things you might find yourself looking back on with pique.

Hope the jobs are going well, right now I consider it a good stroke to have picked up those twelve hours a week as a part-time job. That's a nice little supplement to your income.

What else is there to say? I mean, I don't know, man. I hope your writing expands, improves, adds more layers while improving in technical accuracy. In the last couple of years, I feel like I've grown a lot as a writer, gotten a lot more depth of feeling into what I'm saying; but at the same time, technical accuracy has fallen by the wayside, as have traditional notions of plot and structure. You've got to remember not to smoke pot and then write as a habit, because they start feeding each other when you do that and then it's just you trying to emulate weird noises verbally for pages at a time, which is cool, but in my experience sometimes it's literally just two pages of me saying “bloop,” over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. So, just something to think about, not saying that you might not have a fresh take on the word “bloop,” just saying that after a while it started to feel kind of derivative to me.

Anyway, I'm going to shuffle off to bed or the store or whatever it is I do at night. I hope you read this and find yourself well. Keep working out and meditating and trying to meet new people and eating right and paying your bills and looking for good relationships and etc, etc, etc. Work hard, I'll talk to you later.

Loganatr

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges