A Letter to Future You (6 Months Edition) - 6/29

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:28 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:28 am

Write a letter to yourself that you will open in six months. Include your current accomplishments and concerns, and remind yourself of one thing from today that you want to make sure "future you" does not forget.

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

Monkeypants
Sergeant Major

Re: A Letter to Future You (6 Months Edition) - 6/29

Postby Monkeypants » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:51 am

Dear self,

I know you remember writing this six months ago. But what you really need to know is that you (or is it "I"?)... hmmm.... Ok, "I". I am actually writing this from six months in YOUR future. Crazy, no? Take a moment to let it sink in. Its true.

Your anniversary is tomorrow. Don't forget that. It is important. Oh, and when you finally clean the leaves out of that gutter in back, get someone to hold the ladder.

And no matter what you come to believe, there is no a tunnel to a land of mischievous gnomes secreted under the shed. For my wife's sake (and yours), please don't tear it down and start digging. It will really freak people out.

I think that's it. I'll try and reach out again from the future sometime soon.

Oh, one more thing. Take your meds. Time travel is not easy, nor actually possible.

Regards,

- Self.

PS. The leg is healing nicely.

closch
Private E-1

RE: A Letter to Future You (6 Months Edition) - 6/29

Postby closch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 am

Here we are, six months later.

So how was it, that bottle of wine you were saving?

The final bottle from that case of great Niagara vintages you picked up in your travels last summer; the one you decided to keep to celebrate the day your first story was purchased. Congratulations, by the way. It sure felt good didn’t it? Amazing. A one of a kind feeling.

Well, maybe more than one. It felt just as good when the second purchase came through and then the third. And to think it all started as a result of the magazine articles and newspaper column. Go figure. Look how far you have come in such a short period of time. Be proud.

Remember as you continue on this journey to never stop having fun with it. Be creative; get crazy. And always, always, remember that just because one person says “no” it doesn’t mean anything is wrong with your story, it’s just not what that person wants at that given time. All it does is present you with another opportunity to try a new venue; a new website; a new source. What is wrong for one is right for another. Never forget that. And never give up.

Oh, and you had better get ready - the next six months are going to be even better.

Cheers!

justme143
Private E-1

Postby justme143 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:08 am

Write a letter to yourself that you will open in six months. Include your current accomplishments and concerns, and remind yourself of one thing from today that you want to make sure "future you" does not forget.

Hello, it's me. I am still here, I am still wondering what you plan on doing.

I know, I know, how hard you have worked to get where you are today, and you have made it, you did it. Finally you have decided to tackle the very thing that feared you, your writing. You are writing more today than you ever had before about things that someone some day may thank you for.

You have made it to here, only a few more months of wondering what is happening to him so far away. You are stronger now than you were back then and the uncertain times though still there you are able to face them. I bet you are even watching television again, not worried about what is happening over there in Afganistan.

Take a deep breath, no one yet has come knocking on your door, no one yet has told you that he is gone. You are making it, surviving in a time that most have no idea what it is like to wonder what each day will bring. I am proud of you for not disappearing but for taking charge and moving forward.

Remember that life moves on even if you would like it to stop or go back to where you were before, it moves forward. You too, remember to move forward to go ahead each day.

Do not stop.

Love- Self

knob
Private E-2

Postby knob » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Hello, future self. Greetings from the past.

When you read this, you’ll be out again. How I envy you. I didn’t know what freedom was until I lost mine. You’ve got it back. Don’t ever take it for granted again, and don’t you ever put it in jeopardy.

Trent’s 10 now. Hope you’re spending lots of time with him. You can be a good dad. There’s nothing says you can’t. Hope you’re showing him how to catch a fish. Unless the river’s stopped flowing, the old fishing hole is still there. Make a promise right now: tell him you love him. Tell him every day. Call him on the phone to tell him if you have to. He’s a lucky kid. He’s got you back. If you do nothing else, live your life so that he always has you.

Be humble. There’s shame in what you did. What we did. It’s not going to leave. You’ve paid for it in full now. But don’t start thinking you’re beyond it. Don’t let that pride back in, soldier. Don’t lie about it. Take it when it comes, because it will come. People don’t trust an ex-con. They don’t think they can really be reformed. Tell them you are, sure, but above all, show them you are. I hope you don’t think you’re past all that now. I can feel it. You’ll just be getting started.

As for me, I’m laying low, and I’m being good. I gave up the smokes. I don’t touch the booze. Hope you’re still doing that, my friend. Hope you took that hike in the Appalachians that I’m still dreaming about. Hope you got a big lungful of fresh air. Hope you’ve started on Mom’s house. Hope you’ve given her a kiss. Give her another one for me.

Sincerely,
Me

eternoxamante
Private E-1

Postby eternoxamante » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:10 am

“Hey Lucian, you got your poop unicorns and rainbows packed up?”
I stare into what was once my bedroom, rubbing the tracks on my arms. I look around and I wonder how I spent four years of my life in this hell hole, all alone, trying to drown my sorrows in heroin and alcohol. I spent the last six months in a boarding school/jail for criminal kids as a part of my jail sentence, and the next few years were supposed to be spent in an insane asylum; I was sentenced until they found a cure for my Anhedonia. Luckily, my therapist got me medication and therefore got me out of that part of the sentence, but I can clearly remember how scared I was when I heard that part of the sentence. As I study the emptiness of my room, I let out a sigh.
“Hey, I found this in your dresser when I was moving it.” The old friend of mine that is helping me move walks into my room and hands me a folded up piece of paper. “I think you should read it. It’s dated to before you went to that school.” He hands me the piece of paper and pats me on the back. He doesn’t even wait for me to thank him, so I simply shrug and unfold the piece of paper.

“Lucian,
“You really, really messed up this time. This’ll be your last time getting high until you come home, and you’re more depressed than ever. I hope that time at the school helps you, and I hope that you learn to enjoy what little freedom you’re going to have. You’re going to rot in that psych ward, because no one has ever helped you. Why would they help you now? No one is going to help you. Your own parents don’t want to help you. You’re hopeless, and you’re pathetic, and you’re wasting your last day of freedom packing and getting as high as possible. This is all you’ll ever be, Lucian Wrath. So I hope you’re happy with what you’ve done to yourself. You‘re a drug addict, an abuser, a murderer, a rapist, and you‘ll never change. I hope you rot in hell.
“Sincerely,
“Yourself”

I look at the letter and I rip it to shreds. Then I look over at my friend. “Scott, why did you show me that?” I ask him, turning around and leaning against my doorframe.
“Dude, you’ve been clean for six whole months. The worst that you’ve done is kick in the face of some guy that was messing with one of your friends. I heard you laugh for the first time since I’ve known you yesterday, and I‘ve known you since the fourth grade. You’re a new guy. That guy died somewhere in the past six months, and you’ve been really weird today, so I thought if you read that you would realize that you’re not a piece of poop unicorns and rainbows. Everyone’s parents stop paying for them eventually, so don’t feel bad just because you’re parents aren’t supporting you and this condo anymore.” Scott pats me on the back again and heads back out into the living room. I watch him go and I laugh lightly, looking at the shredded pieces of paper on the floor. All of the fear and desperation that I felt six months ago is completely gone, and as I rub one of the track marks on my arm I follow him into the living room and I lift up the box of clothes that’s left.
“This goes in the back of the truck, right?” I smile at him, and he laughs.
“Yeah. Welcome home, man.”
“Thanks.”
“No, seriously. This is who you were meant to be, so that letter you wrote don’t mean poop unicorns and rainbows, okay?”
I punch him playfully on the arm and I walk out of the open front door. “This is the last box, right? Let’s get out of this place.” And never look back, I add to myself as we both walk out.

DreamingWriterGirl
Sergeant Major of the Army

Location: Stumbling through the dark (WHACK) and I found the coffee table.

Postby DreamingWriterGirl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:58 am

Dear Me,

Hey, you do remember me, right? I'm that teenager that used to worry about where my life was taking me. I just wanted to let you know that everything is okay. I'm still around.

And that story you wanted to write, well, the only way to get it done is to staple your britches to the chair so you can't keep jumping up every five minutes to find something else to do. Distraction is something you just have to conquer if you plan on writing anything worth reading.

Hold on tight to those you love. Hope in things you can't see or feel. Have faith. Pray hard. Dream big. Stop worrying. Love. Laugh. Cry. Eat chocolate (just one piece won't hurt anybody, but make sure you don't eat the whole bag of Hershey's Kisses, because at your meager height, you'll look like a dumpling). Do nice things for people. Get plenty of sleep. And for goodness sake take a moment now and then to just breathe!

You'll make it. Just wait and see.

With love,
Myself

Hgomez
Private E-1

Postby Hgomez » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:25 am

Dear Me,
It is December 30, 2010. The countdown is well underway. Only six months left until your/our new life; until the phoenix is reborn. I can imagine how excited you must be, already half way there! I am excited now at the thought of it!

I am thinking about what I am looking forward to in the next six months and what you will be looking back on. We will have our recommended 1st degree black belt with the “official” graduation coming up soon; we are almost certified instructors, we have written at least one short story and submitted it to Writer’s Digest (anxiously awaiting that grand prize winner email!!!), we are getting to leave the current job, and most important and exciting, we are planning our future with quality time for our family.

We have come a long way in our 41 years of life haven’t we? Many happy times and many hardships. But I believe without those hardships, how we would not recognize the happy times. I believe they gave us the drive to succeed and the determination to fight. Everyone needs a little fight in them!

I do wonder though if you feel that I made the right decision. Not that I had any other choice, when the job ends, the job ends, but now that it is getting closer, are you still as excited as we were June 30, 2010 when I am writing this? Are you driving your family nuts because you are freaking out about losing your income? The fear of not being able to pay the mortgage, buy the kids great birthday toys, or – GASP! - not being able to go to Starbucks?

My advice to you on that issue is to look at all the planning we have been doing over the last year. You will be ready emotionally and financially to tackle anything that comes your way. And as you take the reigns from this point forward, remember our priorities, our focus, and our dreams that have come true!

Love,
Me
;)

Mustrite
Private E-1

Postby Mustrite » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:31 am

October 16th, 2010

Hello Dave,

Remember me? Its Damien, your living, breathing, stronger self. You think that stupid shrink could get rid of me? She filled your head with a lot of nonsense, convincing you that you didn’t need me. Saying that I was just a fragment of your personality, split off so you could endure the violence of your youth. Bull poop unicorns and rainbows!

You are so freaking gullible. Just face it; you can hardly get out of bed without me.

Dave looked into the bathroom mirror. A devilish grin spread across his normally placid face. Six months ago, he’d taped the envelope with the letter to the mirror, with this handwritten note to himself: “Do not open until October 16th.” It was his birthday. He kept reading.

You can NEVER get rid of me. So forget trying. Now get yourself dressed, and let’s pay a little visit to Dr. Edwards. Tell her where she can stick her stupid therapy sessions, and demand our money back!

Forever yours,

Damien

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges