[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Late-for-Work Excuse - 3/16 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Late-for-Work Excuse - 3/16

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
NarenBloor
Private E-1

RE: Late-for-Work Excuse - 3/16

Postby NarenBloor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 am

"So, I know I'm late today, again, but I have a reasonable excuse for it. I know what you're thinking 'Reasonable? I NEVER have a reasonable excuse', but, ma'am, I do today." I say as I walk in the office.
"Alright, so, lets hear it." my boss yawns as she waves her hand as if bored.
"Well, you see, I was walking here from my house, as I always do, and I noticed this odd purple puppy just laying on the sidewalk. What can I say? I have a weakness for animals, especially the odd colored ones. So I took the poor thing to a vet. Well, the vet thought this to be an interesting case and could have sworn she had seen a sign for this little thing having gone missing. She gave me a flyer about it and I went in search of this person. Well, I went to the address listed on the flyer, it turned out to be a post office, so I asked if they knew of someone who owned the poor puppy. They said to try 111 Abigail Lane, so, I tried it, no luck. I asked the person who lived there if they knew the owner of this puppy, and, again, was given a different address. I tried forty different houses and still had no luck. I decided to go home and make a "Found Purple Puppy" flyer. I went around and posted it all over, hoping the owner would see it. After about four hours of waiting, I gave up hope and came in to work. Now, here I am, trailing a little purple puppy in here, telling you this mornings events." I say quickly, hoping it works. I even hold out the poor little puppy for my boss to see.
"Why did you bring it here?" my boss asks, looking like shes about to scream.
"Well, I brought it here because I just can't leave the poor thing at home. I have a cat that likes to attack all animals." I say, explaining why this poor little puppy just couldn't be left out of my supervision.

loganatr
Private E-1

RE: Late-for-Work Excuse - 3/16

Postby loganatr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Man, you won't believe the morning I've had. Sorry I'm late, but it was entirely unavoidable. I don't know if you remember- I certainly won't hold you to it- but you might remember a girl I told you about at my interview, the one who just one day walked out??? Like, in answer to the “loose end” question you asked? No? Yeah? Yeah, well guess who shows up at my door at 6:45 a.m this morning. With blueberry muffins, which were vile.
So obviously, I can't turn her away, although I made it clear that I had work at 8:30 and I wasn't going to be late for that. I had her out of the house by 7:30, but I was running a little bit late, I decided to just skip breakfast and order a sandwich at the coffee shop.
What did she say? Um, I don't mind telling you- you seem trustworthy- but it's easier for me to address my work when my professional and personal lives are separate. I only brought her up because it's the first part of an unbelievable day I had; but to conclude about her, she definitely didn't give me any easy answers. I'm not at all sure that I feel the need to see her again, but that's neither here nor there at the moment.
Anyway, I get in my car, and my tire blows up. I googled the make, quickly, to satisfy my curiosity while the cab came- and sure enough, last night Fireyard ordered a recall on all those tires. Anyway, the cab was smooth and prompt, and I still stood a chance of making it on time.
The driver was latino, so I spoke to him in spanish: “Necesito ir al 410 and Alameda, senor.” Bad decision. The driver was this young dude who seemed like he usually had it together, but he definitely had a lot on his mind right then. Turns out, he had just given a ride to a minor league baseball player, Michael Brooks, and the man was pissed off. The cabby didn't speak much english and Brooks, slavic, spoke with a heavy accent.
Against a number of protests, the cabby took me to where he'd dropped the guy off, Turner Stadium over by the west side, which I know you know, but i'm watching the time tick away while this is happening. It took me two minutes to figure out that Brooks was mistaken about where he was to go, which was Toyota Field. Neither man had been able to manifest the fact that Brooks wanted the minor league stadium, and not the college campus stadium. I left there thinking I'd be ten minutes late for work.
After that, I finally got going the way I wanted, assuring the cabby that I was going to file a formal complaint with his company; and that I wasn't paying him for the trip. He was nice about it, but time is money, y' know? I'm looking into filing charges, although I'm not sure whether that'd be excessive or not. I'll make my decision tonight, however.
Anyway, after waiting only twenty minutes for a escaped zebra to be returned to captivity over on Johnson Ave, after we went under the bridge; and another ten minutes for a funeral procession on route 36, Juan finally got me to the parking lot, although the goodbyes were a little bit cold. I tipped him a couple of bucks for the time we spent waiting for the zookeepers, and I was making my way inside when the security guard seemed to have a minor heart attack- I know you must have heard about Jake? No? Well, turned out it was acid reflux, but it still took him a good five or ten minutes to let go of my hand, which he'd seized when I rushed to his aid. He wasn't looking good, man, but I have to tell you it was a little bit funny when the crisis had passed. Anyway, that's why i'm so late, I'm sorry, it won't happen again.

Trissa
Private E-2

Re: Late-for-Work Excuse - 3/16

Postby Trissa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:05 am

The morning sun streamed into my bedroom showing every dust speck on the end table. My eyes lit on the clock radio. Eight o' clock! My heart jumped into my throat. One hour late. I was supposed to be pulling into a parking space at the local grocery store where I work. Nancy, the head cashier, is a stickler for time. She will have my head AND butt for this.

I scramble to the closet throwing clothes hangers everywhere as I search for a clean "Super Save" sweatshirt. Downstairs I hear the breakfast noises of my two kids. What are they still doing home? They're supposed to be on their way to school by now.

I tear downstairs, toothbrush in one hand, hairbrush in the other. I cursed at our poor old dog, Buddy, as he lay in my way. "Guys!" I scream. "What the heck is going on? Didn't anyone in this house set an alarm?"

"But, mom," Jake started. "I did set my alarm and..."

"Never mind," I broke in. "I don't have time to deal with you two. I'm so freaking late that I could lose my job. You guys will have to deal with being late to school. Thank, God, we only live a couple of blocks, but you'll have to hustle." Ducking into the bathroom off the kitchen, I finished my morning brushings. I was pulling my hair into a ponytail as I headed for the car. I threw one last order to the kids. "Don't forget to let Buddy out before you go!" There was no snow to scrape off, for which I was grateful. But it is November in Wisconsin...

As I drive to work, I pray there are no cops hiding out in wait for speeders. I'm doing 35 in a 25 mile-an-hour zone. I'm not paying attention to my driving, either, as my brain searches for excuses. Nancy has been head cashier for nearly 14 years and I'm sure she's heard them all. I think about the "Buddy got loose and ran" tale. It's usually good for a decent autumn morning given he's an old hunting dog. Squirrel or rabbit this time?

I pull into a spot at the side of the store, my heart once again pounding where it shouldn't be. As the automatic door slides open, I see Nancy at the Service Counter, receipts and checks from the day before on the counter. As expected, she gives me a funny look. I'm prepared.

"Sweetie, do you know what time it is? Didn't you set your clock?"

"Sorry, Nancy, but I guess I didn't and..."

Before I could get anymore out, Nancy grinned broadly and laughed. "Well, you're an hour early! Guess you didn't remember daylight savings time ended."

anyuta34i
Private E-1

Re: Late-for-Work Excuse - 3/16

Postby anyuta34i » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm

giving 7 hem a whole new feeling about themselves. Another aspect of stress management involves making changes in your life to help you reduce the events that trigger your episodes. In some cases thi may be a simple matter of gettin out more often or it can mean changing jobs or careers

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges