Your Last Line - 1/5

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
silentwriter3
Private E-1

Re: Your Last Line - 1/5

Postby silentwriter3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:11 pm

It wasn't over. She knew that. She also knew that it was all her fault.

shubha
Private E-1

RE: Your Last Line - 1/5

Postby shubha » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 pm

She quietly moved into the inner room, opened her mother's large trunk and picked up the silk dress lying on top. She went back to the outer room where her old mother sat, and announced to her, "I want this." The mother smiled toothlessly, and said, "Of course my dear, anything you ask."
The daughter lit a fire in the backyard and flung the dress into it. One by one she flung every dress of her mother's into the fire till the trunk was empty.
"But....but... I'm your mother!" exclaimed the old woman, aghast.
"That's precisely why I'm leaving untouched the dress you are wearing," said the daughter, and walked out of the front door.

Danisunflower
Private E-1

Postby Danisunflower » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:45 pm

After losing three days of his life to a coma Jonathan was terrified of closing his eyes. But he was becoming dependant on the drugs so the doctor's told him tonight he was to go it alone. closing his eyes briefly he saw her, the beautiful woman who had risked everything to save him. she was boarding a plane the sun glinting off her flame red hair. she raised a cigarette to her full lips.
a tired looking nurse strode into Jon's room preparing to change his bandages before the night shift began.
"are you feeling better today Mr. Showalter?"
A thin trail of smoke rose from his cracked lips as he smiled.
"I'm getting there."

Danisunflower
Private E-1

Postby Danisunflower » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:03 pm

No matter how many more I killed it was never as good as the first time.

MichaelFogarty
Private E-1

Postby MichaelFogarty » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:13 am

The Grey Man was whistling to himself, his friend could no longer hear him. They had landed in the bay now walking up the main street the Grey Man pointed to the rubble of the church and smirked. His friend lifted his trilby and bowed ironically. Two men came together in the evening of the year to the place they had left behind so many years ago. They Grey Man lit a cigarette and the stench of death hung on every breath.

as_it_thunders
Private E-1

Postby as_it_thunders » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:57 pm

There was the strong scent of rust as blood seeped out of the wound in my side and pooled in the gutter of the damp, lamp lit street that I was going to take my last breaths on. A shadow swept against the side of the building adjacent to where I was lying, pausing momentarily as a gaunt hand tipped its hat before vanishing into a back alley.

I guess there was no changing fate. I guess it had all been a lie. I guess we'd been wrong.

I guess this is the end.

*First Post

Tears in the rain
Private E-1

Postby Tears in the rain » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:51 am

The door was there!  Just as Thorne had promised her.  She had only to turn the handle and she could return to her own world.
    It was what she had been searching for all these long months, Shaela reminded herself.
    Yes, she thought to herself.  This was what I've wanted to find all those months ago, but that was before Thorne and Alard, and little Jilly.
    She was more than sure that Thorne would be just fine.  And, as for Alard, well, he had Thorne to look out for him.  It was the future of Jilly, the tiny waif that tore at her heart.  After all her dire situation was Shaela's fault.  What would become of her now?
    And what of the Ring, now?  Who would be its keeper if she left?
    Shaela could feel the warmth of the ring as she slipped it from her finger and held in loosely in the palm of her hand.  She watched as its bright red glow began to ebb faint in the growing dimness, almost as if it were dying.
    Tears threatened to spill from her moss green eyes as she stood, shoulders slumped forward.  She held the pulsating ring in her hand until it lay as she had first found it, just a cold, opaque piece of stone, the life now gone from it.
    Tilting her hand ever so slightly she watched, in slow motion, as it slipped from her hand to settle in the soft grasses and moss beneath her feet.
    To anyone else it would look like just another oddly shaped rock, but to Shaela it was more.  It signified not only a beginning, but also now an end.
    Shaela’s thoughts raced as she struggled with her inner war.
    Thorne had known all along about the door back.  Even knowing how desperately she had wanted to get back home he had lied to her.
    She could find many reasons why he would lie to her, but none of them was what she had wanted to find.
    He knew she loved him and had used it against her.  Breaking her down, shaping her to his way of thinking, and then leaving her behind after everything was said and done.  Granted, he had never said that he had had any feelings for her, but there had always been that faint glimmer of hope she had harbored in her heart that he would.
    Indecision and the growing pain she felt at his betrayal gnawed at her.
    Her heart pounded painfully against her chest.  Shaela drew a ragged, sobbing breath, placed her trembling hand on the cold metal handle, and pushed down.  Hearing it give a dull click she leaned heavily against the thick wooden door, and began pushing against it.

Pearl96
Private E-1

Postby Pearl96 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:45 pm

To be truthful, when I'd come up with the plan, death was not the expected outcome. However, I couldn't find it in myself to care. Now I was free. Free from their manipulations, free from the pain they so loved to inflict and free from my conscience - who I'm sure would not be happy over the actions I'd comitted. So really, maybe death ahd been the best outcome.

Love2_Write
Private E-1

Postby Love2_Write » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:26 pm

"If you had let the world fall...we'd still be alive, you know."

"I know."

Yvette looked at Kendall long and hard. "Why did you save the humans then?"

"I'm a nice person; is that so hard to believe?" Yvette laughed and flung her arms around her angel's neck, breathing in the bloody stench of death that stained his armor. "Yes," she said with a grin, "Yes it is."

Kendall couldn't help thinking that it was all worth it just as the dark princess' lips met his own.

RAndersenAuthor
Private E-1

Postby RAndersenAuthor » Wed May 04, 2011 12:30 pm

His struggle had not been in vain, he thought to himself with a certain amount of pride and satisfaction as the wind rushed up from the valley below and over the grassy hills of his homeland, now safe from the foe he'd found within himself. He leaned down and patted his valiant stallion's neck with the respect of a fellow warrior and the kindness of an old friend.

“Come, Horse,” he breathed into the animal's ear with the excitement of a second chance imminent on the horizon sparkling in his voice. “Let's go home.”

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges