Your Last Line - 1/5

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Hannah-Lynn
Private E-1

Re: Your Last Line - 1/5

Postby Hannah-Lynn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:20 am

I coughed again, trying to get the damn ash out of my lungs and throat. I knew it would take a few days of showering before I felt like I'd gotten it all off me, but you won't find me complaining. I stared out over the edge of the waterfall, watching the water become rough, raging, then dive down with a splash and spreading out in peaceful lappings. A noise reached my ears over the rapids and I tensed, slowly turning to face the crater coated in ash that once was a place of growth and life. The jungle around me stood tall, waiting, their vines already reaching out to replace their fallen brethren, their roots at the ready. Another thump and I narrowed my eyes, trying to see in the light that was fading fast as the sun sank down behind me. It had come from the center of the crater. I took a cautious step forward, then another, and just that easily I stood on the rim looking down. Another thump. I leaned over a little, and quickly straightened as a fresh waves of coughing wracked me. By the time I could look again I could only make out shadows. I held my breath, trying to survey the area, all the places survivors could hide.
A hand landed on my shoulder. I jumped and swung. The person jerked me down with them and rolled over on me too quickly. I couldn't get in a clean breath and was pinned already.
"Sonuva - "
"Chill out!"
I blinked, swallowing the rest of my curses.
"Danni?"
The amazon of a woman grinned down at me, her pearly white teeth the only real thing visible as night settled in.
"Hiya, Rita. Will you do me a favor and not kill me?"
I let out a ragged laugh and relaxed.
"Only if you get off me."
She stood up and helped me to my feet before taking a look around. "Looks like you won."
I coughed out a puff of ash. "Or something like that."
"Does this mean we can go home now?"
"Or something like that," I said softly, the exhaustion finally setting in as the last of my adrenalin rush ebbed off.
My home was very different from her home, but that didn't stop Danni. Before I could cough again, she grabbed my hand and pushed off from the edge of the grass, flinging us off the top of the waterfall.

MariaS
Private E-1

RE: Your Last Line - 1/5

Postby MariaS » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Paolo laid her head gently on his rucksack, took the golden flute from her pocket, and caused the sorrowful notes to weep from it in the way she had taught him, his heart following the music as it married her breath to the wind.

jh325
Private E-1

Postby jh325 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:15 am

I blinked my eyes and hoped, when they opened this would all be a dream. I knew in my heart that wasn't possible . Everything I had grown to believe as a child was a lie . This man was my father whether I could except him or not .

Cinder
Private E-1

Postby Cinder » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:01 pm

It was so simple. All he had to do was pull the trigger and it would be over. But he couldn't. The gun fell to the gun with a clatter. With a choked cry he fell to his knees, face buried in his hands. The door opened and the girl entered. She was pretty with soft black hair and large brown eyes that watched him carefully. Why was she here now? She had promised never to see him again.

"Why would you try to do it?" she asked with a small catch in his voice.. He moaned in reply. "Your seventeen and you still have HER." The girl's voice was bitter.

"She's gone."

"Gone?" the girl repeated, a smirk showing in her eyes. "What do you mean, gone?"

"What do you care?" he shrieked, a horrible sadness coming into his voice.

"Oh, you can be sure that I don't, I just want to know."

"Why did you come back?" he moaned.

"I had to come," she replied softly, a peculiar gentleness creeping into her voice. His head came up.

"Why?" She kissed him. He stared up into her eyes. "That's it then?" he asked.

"That's how it's always been." He reached out to her, but then she was gone and the open door swung back and forth. His vision swayed and he fainted.

Cinder
Private E-1

Postby Cinder » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:05 pm

And that was that. They were all dead. She smiled with a savage pleasure, picked up her pack, and left without ever looking back again.

Cinder
Private E-1

Postby Cinder » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Luke stared up at her window as he passed. He saw her large blue eyes rise from her book and stare back at him, her face framed by a lock of blond hair. He grinned at her and her answering smile, though tentative and unsure, was brilliant. Too young to be high school sweethearts and too old to be childhood sweethearts, the two fitted in somewhere between. And though the road to come was rough and hard, he would always remember the past and what used to be.

kaitou_pandora
Private E-1

Postby kaitou_pandora » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:46 pm

She swore to herself that she would never make another wish on a wishing well again, even in jest - though things had ended happily, the chaos that had resulted from a careless thought of wouldn't it be interesting if Ralph ended up with a case of magical nudity? was definitely not worth going through again.

theSkilled
Private E-1

Postby theSkilled » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 am

I watched his glowing gold eyes pierce into my very soul. His smile took up his entire face; teeth ripping from his gums like a werewolf hungry for the ripeness of human flesh. As he stood over me, me laying down helplessly on the floor, his inhuman grin seemed to say, It ends here, Monica. No where to turn, not a place to hide, and you're all mine. Memories flooded back like a tidal wave and stabbed at my brain like a knife. Was it only ten years ago that we sat together on a fishing boat? Seeming like only yesterday, I came down the stairs in my prom dress and he called me the most beautiful thing I have ever been called. Look at Daddy's little girl.

I didn't feel like I was his little girl. I now felt like his prey. But alas, I would not simply give up. I didn't care if he stabbed me a million times like the memories were doing. He expected me to cry out, to squirm out from under him or at least beg for mercy. I knew what he was going to do. He was hovering over me. He was trying to kill me.

"Now, Monica, be a good little child. Do as your father tells you to do; hold still." His teeth barred out like a wild animal. I knew that I wasn't his first victim, but before I died, I wanted to make sure that I'd be his last. However, the right words couldn't come to me. I knew that I was no better than him. I was unsure on whether I was even classified as saved. Going to church was more like a family outting to me. It was at this point that I wished I could take it back. Then, finally, I knew what I was going to tell my killer; my father. My eyes stopped watering. The fear escaped my mind and I could now take in air slowly, instead of gasping. Even though I was still timid, I could now look my dad in the eyes. My lips opened to speak and I couldn't help but smile.

"We'll meet again."

Depo
Private E-1

Postby Depo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 am

Humanity ceased to exist as we had known ourselves. With the Enemy defeated and Evil destroyed forever, free will still held. Without darkness to fight, what is light? Why were we ever here in the first place, now that everything is perfect? Who and what are we now? Are we allowed to ask? Would we get an answer? Having asked these questions, know that I am still as lost and confused as ever.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: Your Last Line - 1/5

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:11 am

With her bedtime book open on my lap, and my left hand with its rings resting on the pillow near her face, I watched my daughter's eyes close at last. I sat on my chair and waited in the glow of the night-light, not ready to leave quite yet. My decision was made now; when I walked out of her room, her life and mine would be changed forever.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges