Hypothetically Speaking - 11/2

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:37 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:37 am

Write a paragraph where every sentence contains at least one five+ syllable word. Begin with “Hypothetically speaking…”

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

whatevertheyaint
Sergeant Major of the Army

RE: Hypothetically Speaking - 11/2

Postby whatevertheyaint » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:16 am

Hypothetically speaking, we're all crazy. Some folks simply camouflage their ineffectiveness at coping with life a little better than others. If you were to accidentally peep into their lives, say if you were an insect on a wall, you would find that they belong in an institutional facility. And I'm not saying this to berate or step on anyone's toes, so don't get all hoity-toity with me; I'm only speaking theoretically.

Neets
Master Sergeant

Re: Hypothetically Speaking - 11/2

Postby Neets » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:46 pm

LOL That was good!

Birdy369
Private E-1

Postby Birdy369 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:42 am

Hypothetically speaking, I've never been alive. The idea of life is just a vicariously created ploy to give the human race something to cling desperately to while they wait for death to embrace them. Psychologically, us humans are as foolish as every one of those people we dub "mentally retarded" because we all try to play "God" with others. Some people just play this unjustifiable game better than others. But we humans suffer one inadequacy worse than the rest, the pitfall of society, you could say: we fail to perceive that in quietus resides unfeigned sentience and tranquility.

Leond
Private E-1

Postby Leond » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Hypothetically speaking, all words can be transformed into any other form. Exampalistically taking, to take a particularistic case randomwise, verbing a noun is but a matter of transformationally additionalizing verb endings. Supplementaries helpfully are. Examplewise: the addition of a syllable (nounish), is verbed to ensyllableate, adjectived to supersyllableish, and adverbed into hypersyllabically. Is this simplificationaling things? No, I say, admissionally. But I must endefenceanate it. Surely it is communicative, and not obfuscationly at all. Aucontraireally, all our words are triumphantly supermeaningeneated to greated. Perhaps there is some ennonsensefication of the occasional word, but meaningwise, no declearification has had performation. You uncapably are endenialing of this. So I urge you: Join me in practicallifying this hypotheticalish.

penncypoo
Private E-1

Postby penncypoo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:49 pm

Hypothetically speaking, this prompt is designed to bring to light the better writer in each of us and get us thinking creatively. Far too many writers use child-like monosyllabic words because they fear they might be crowding their writing or stifling the creative flow with jargon. I believe, however, that being able to utilize longer, more succinct words is a qualification that most writers must have in order to succeed. Even though it can sometimes be intimidating, I believe that writers need to put this fear of large words behind them. It's time to be indiscriminate when it comes to the size of your words! For as any man can tell you undeniably: it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it. ;)

whatevertheyaint
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby whatevertheyaint » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Wow, Leond.  Very good.  Know what?  I have no idea what your talking about.  I'm gonna use something like that on the kids next time they're misbehaving; I just want to see their reaction.  I'm still laughing at all that verbijacating;-)

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:16 am

Hypothetically speaking, an unabashedly vegetarian palaeontologist could walk into a bar. Say he has an archaeopteryx perched on his shoulder. The barmaid might then give this pair an unflatteringly sweeping glance all up and down, and mutter a derogatory comment into her lipstick. “I’m guessing you’re a Sagittarius,” we conjecture she’d say, “and the presence of that diabolical creature with you conveys to me a counterintuitive suggestion that you’d prefer a simple beer, rather than the Unadulterated Unbalancing Cocktail –our specialty.” The old ecclesiastical gentleman swaying on the barstool nearby could then theoretically sigh, “The gentrification of this neighbourhood has gotten out of hand. Used to be you could bring a hippopotamus in here without getting any guff.”

hoohaa
Private E-1

Postby hoohaa » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:07 am

Hypothetically speaking, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is something to say when you haven't got anything to say. Of course, it is preferable to remain silent at such a juncture, as one should strive to maintain a facade of mysterious inscrutability. For some, especially the young, the correct use of the word can be a useful speciality, as its proper use can convince others of the speaker's precociousness. Caution is advised, for in polite company use of the word in an inappropriate way can be considered atrocious. Those interested in adding the word to their conversational repertoire are advised to exercise discretion.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges