Late Night Phone Call - 8/24

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Birdy369
Private E-1

Re: Late Night Phone Call - 8/24

Postby Birdy369 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:55 am

Long Lost Friend

“Hey, Cascada household, Trevor speaking.” Says Trevor, answering the phone after nearly twenty minutes of listening to it ring incessantly while in his study attempting to finish his work.
“Thank God you answered!” Replies an anxious and exasperated voice into the receiver on the other end. “Listen, you’ve got to get out of the house as soon as possible. Are you ok? Where are the kids? Are they…”
“Whoa, whoa, who the hell is this and how did you get my number?” Interrupts Trevor, berating himself afterward for not using his head and hanging up on this idiot. Switching the phone to speaker, he checks the caller ID to see if he knows the number. He doesn’t recognize it, so he switches speaker off and puts the phone back to his ear just in time to hear a garbled mess of words spewing from the mouth of a very confused person.
“There’s no time for reintroductions right…” Begins the mysterious caller, cut off once again by Trevor’s harsh voice.
“What do you mean reintroductions? I’ve never met you in my life!” Shouts a frustrated Trevor. “Hell, I don’t even remember your number!” He’s getting angry now, and there isn’t much reason be calm anyway, considering a complete, crazed stranger just called his house at almost midnight. “I don’t have time for this bull****.” He mutters as he moves to hang up the phone.
“Wait, wait, wait, please! Don’t hang up!” The voice on the other line pleads, so desperately that Trevor can’t help but place the phone back up to his ear, overwhelmed by unnecessary pity.
“Fine,” Trevor says coolly, “but don’t keep me waiting. I’m not very well known for my patience.” Absent mindedly, he begins tapping his left index finger rapidly on the table.
“I don’t think you’ll remember me, though.” Admonishes the mysterious person, the nervousness evident their voice.
“Try me.” Replies Trevor, very thoroughly annoyed at this point.
“Ok. My name is Emily Arbrinster.” She reveals. “We went to high school together. We dated for a while back then too. Do you remember me?”
Trevor thinks for a moment back on his high school years, and slowly, a face registered to the name, and recognition dawns on him. So now he knew who this crazy woman was, but he still hadn’t the slightest clue how she found his number, nor did he know what reason she had for calling him at this time of night. “Yeah, I remember you. How the hell did you get my phone number?” He asks, a hint of his anger seeping into his voice like venom. “It’s not in the phone books, and it’s definitely not on the Internet.”
“I don’t have time for that!” Exclaims Emily, the crazed edge now returned. “I told you, you have to get out of your house! Better yet, leave town, leave the state even!”
“You know what? I stayed on the phone for you out of courtesy!” He shouts. “The least you could do is return a bit of the same courtesy and explain what the hell is going on! If you don’t have time, make it now, or I’ll just hang up this phone, continue living my life, and pretend none of this ever happened.” He falls silent then, fuming at how much of his time was being wasted.
“Fine. You want answers? You’ll get them.” She replies, a deadly edge in her previously much gentler voice. “There’s a black van parked outside your house right now. Don’t let them know you’re looking. Based on the floor plans I have of your property, there should be a window on the northeast wall of your second floor. From there, you should be able to see them, but they won’t be able to see you. Go look.”
Now beside himself with curiosity, Trevor climbs the stairs to the second floor of his house, walks to his son’s bedroom, moves toward the window, and peers out into the night. Sure enough, the van is parked there just as she said. Sudden fear wells up in his gut, and he quickly wakes up his two kids and tells them to dress as quickly as possible. “What do they want with me?” He asks frightfully.
“Honestly, I don’t think you’re so daft that you can’t figure that out on your own Trevor. What do you think they want?” She questions.
“They want you dead. Very dead. So naturally, it's run or die."

no1ne
Private E-1

RE: Late Night Phone Call - 8/24

Postby no1ne » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:34 pm

The echoes of the phone pierce through my slumbering haze like an arrow. Almost mindless, I snatch the cell phone off my nightstand and answer.

"Hello"

"Hello... is this Jacob Dekker"

The phone signal is weak, but through the slight fade and uncomfortable crackle lies a familiar tone.

"Yeah... WHO is this?"

"This is Stephanie Michelle"

With those words, my mind immediately jumps from an overbearing fatigue right into a nervous confusion. I slide out of my bed slowly and walk into my dimly lit hallway.

"...Stephanie Michelle? As in my ex, Stephanie Michelle?"

"Yes Jacob, listen to me... you have to know it wasn't my fault"

"Wait, what are you talking about?"

Her voice begins to tremble as evidence of tears enter our conversation.

"I...I...had no choice. She made us do it! I loved you...I know it"

"Steph honey, what's going on? I think you should call the police"

"No. They're already here for me! I need you to know..."

The signal fades out slightly, but cuts back in. Her voice on the phone seems more frantic now.

"...is coming for you! She was planning this all this time..."

"Steph, you're not making any sense. Who---"

The conversation becomes erratic. Sounds of a struggle become evident in the background.

"---Jacob, listen to me...Don't go to work tomorrow...please"

"What...why...this is crazy"

"Don't trust her...don't do anything she says"

"What...Who??"

Everything goes quiet for this split second, as if this moment in time had been frozen in eternity. Suddenly, in the most faintest of whispers, she responds

"Tabitha... Tabitha Sorenson"

There is a loud crash on her end of the phone. Immediately the sickening shrill of Stephanie screaming deafens my ears, then silence. The flashing notice on my phone of CALL ENDED is the only remnants of this conversation that is left in this world. I try to call back, but the phone number that she called from doesn't even ring.

Overwhelmed I stand in the shadow of the doorway, replaying the conversation over and over in my mind. What has she done, who was coming for me, and why shouldn't I go to work. Everything about this call pointed to something that was beyond my grasp of understanding. I try to compose myself, but before I can begin to wind myself down, a soft voice floats from out of my bedroom.

"Jacob...what is it sweetie"

I look at the woman barely-awake, gazing at me in my bed. Her glorious body triumphs in the darkness such as the magnificent cathedrals of 18th century Paris. Yet, her voice does not comfort me this particular moment. I struggle to answer...

"...Uhmm nothing hun, just thirsty"

"Well come back to bed then"

I never thought those words she uttered would ever be frightening to a man like myself, but I felt a small chill go down my back tonight.

"Yeah"

As I re-enter the room, my heart begins to quicken. It may not be terror that I am feeling at this precise moment, but I must admit its in that family. I lie right next to the woman, feeling her warm skin press up against mine right now lacks the comfort it once knew.

I lie my head back on my pillow as the woman places her arm over my chest and gently kisses me. She smiles, and in a circumstance-dictated disturbing voice she whispers

"Love you"

My mind panics to find the right thing to say, even though I have done this a thousand times. Flashes of our year together are quickly subdued by the haunting memories of a five minute phone conversation. I turn back to my wife and place a kiss on her forehead.

"Love you, tabby"

I close my eyes, realizing that tomorrow this innocent life that I had today has been brutally butchered. I may not know what may lie down this forced detour that my life has been ricocheted to, but I do know one thing. Tomorrow, I WILL have to get to know my wife much better. My wife, Tabitha Sorenson Dekker.

Msthatgirl79
Private E-1

Postby Msthatgirl79 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:52 am

Sarah cowell knocked over a glass of water, while stumbling to turn on the bed side lamp. She answered the phone confused on who could be calling her. Not just at this time, but at anytime. She has been completly devoted to her work sense the death of her parents. And had not made many lasting friendships. Sarah's groggy voice managed to pronounce "Hello" "Sarah?" The woman's voice on the other end sounded frightened, and out of breath. As if she had been running. "Yes this is Sarah" Now with a small amount of curiosity, Sarah asks. "Who's this?" "Sarah, it's me Christina." "Christina Reynolds" Sarah remained quiet, trying to recall Christina Reynolds from her past. "Do you remember me Sarah?" Asked a petite distraught voice. Almost asking as if her life depended on it. Sarah remembered. Christina had been her very best friend from childhood. Although they had not seen each other sense the early 80's. A memory of the last time she saw Christina flashed in her mind. She was being driven away from her home, and Christina was watching and waving goodbye. She knew at the moment she would never see her again. Or at least she thought. "Yes Christina, I remember you." "How are you?" "Is everything alright?" Sarah wasn't sure what words would be the most comforting at this point. Christina let out a sigh of relief. "Meet me at the 2nd Street Cafe in Cambridge." Before Sarah could ask what this was about, Christina had hung up the phone.

N.Chaos
Private E-1

Postby N.Chaos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:50 pm

"I know what you're going to say, please don't hang up this time."

I felt my skin practically constricting at the sound of his voice, my heart tightening around itself, my mind flooding with memories I'd spent so long trying to drown out or drug away.

Four years.
Four goddamn years.

"Kevin, when is it going to get into your pretty little head that I hate you? I hate you more than anything, or anyone, to a point that's starting to get ****ing ridiculous".

On the other end, I heard his voice shaking. He sucked in a long breath and gagged, and I realized he must've been chain smoking for hours. His voice was hoarse, bruised from whatever had happened, from whatever had dragged him low enough to sob to me again.

"Nick, please. Please just...just listen to me."

My stomach rolled as memories still too vivid scathed their way across my mind; 5 AM car rides to nowhere, him screaming at me to stop drinking, him eventually giving up and just holding me while I drowned the rest of the world. Him leaving.

"Fine. Humor me. What could you possibly need from me? You've already taken my band away from me, and you've already ruined just about everything else so what in the hell do you want now?"

Across the line, a sick little laugh coughed its way out of his throat. I held my breath, half hoping and half fearing what he'd say.

"...I miss you. Nick, I miss you so much."

I laughed. I couldn't help it. After everything that'd happened, everything he'd done, he missed me?
The kid had tried to kill me, played mind games with me, led me on and eventually broke my heart.
And he missed me.

"Yeah, you did Kevin."

A long pause, another deep smoke-filled breath.
"What are you talking about?"

I sighed and rubbed my eyes, looking at the clock. No wonder he'd called at 3AM, early mornings had always seemed to be our time. Maybe he thought it'd be nice to reminisce and rub my face in the broken shards of whatever game we'd been playing.

"You missed me a long time ago, kid. I dropped everything for you so I could be there, and you swerved right into that trainwreck of a ****ing marriage you've got now."

Kevin choked back another sob and I could almost see him, cradling the phone close to him, his face ruddy and mottled from sobbing. I tried to hold that picture in my head as long as possible, preferring it to any other memory of him. Seeing him vulnerable was a fleeting, rare and wonderful thing. I'd make the most of it.

“I hope you’re enjoying your hell, Kevin. You two are perfect for each other, you know. “ I spat the sarcasm-laden comment at the phone, wishing that I really couldsee his expression now. The thought of his little heart breaking was wonderful, almost as fulfilling as the thought of him finally keeping his word and kindly removing himself from the gene pool.

He started to plead again, started twisting knives that’d never quite been pulled out. Things like “Remember January, Nick” or “Those were oursongs, Nick”, things that the little poop unicorns and rainbows knew how to use against me. Well, not this time. Not anymore.
“Kevin, I hate to cut you off” I lied, “but frankly I hope you kill yourself. The only time I’d ever want to see you again is on a morgue table, finally silent and unable to claw your way any further into my life. I loved you, and now I simply love the idea of you ruining yourself.”

I shut the phone on his sobs and felt an unfamiliar happiness seeping through me. Laying down in the empty, cold bed I felt that for the first time in years, I might actually enjoy my dreams. I guess the little poop unicorns and rainbows was good for something after all.

(Any criticism would be greatly appreciated)

Revriley
Private E-1

Postby Revriley » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 am

(I usually do third-person but the prompt implies first, so...)

Tick.
Tick.
Tick.
I gazed at my clock, too tired to ignore it and too awake to go to sleep. Two AM in the morning--for the third night in a row. I had no explanation as to why--I hadn't been through any traumatic experiences recently, and my bed was far from uncomfortable. Sighing, I tried producing a yawn. It failed. I had already considered caffeine as the reason...but my only source of that was chocolate, my self-reward for special events, like a promotion or something. I ate chocolate only rarely, so I had to scratch that out.
The phone rang. I reached for it, only to knock it out of its place with my fumbling. Groaning, I sat up, bent down and retrieved the phone. "Hello?"
"Mark? Mark, is that you?" The voice on the other end was hard to understand. Her breathing was heavy and erratic, as if she had been running from something.
"Mark Cable, if that's the Mark you want."
"Oh, thank goodness. Mark, I'm in the alley behind the grocers. I need you to come pick me up--right now."
I furrowed my brow, trying to place the voice. "“I'm sorry, who is this?”"
"“Sadie Mellows, from elementary school. Dammit Mark, remember pulling my ponytail in math class?”"
I vaguely recalled laughing insanely as the blonde girl in front of me would turn around and shout at if that if I did not stop this instant she would tell Miss Dulez as soon as she returned. However, that didn't stop me from being suspicious. "“And how exactly did you get my number? I don't think--”"
"“Mark. Mark, listen to me, that doesn't matter now. I'll explain once you get your ass over here and save my life.”"
“What?” I jumped to my feet, pulling on a pair of jeans. Although we hadn't seen each other in years, I felt I should help her, no matter how many times she had beaten me in tag.
"“poop unicorns and rainbows. Hold on.”" There was silence on the other end. I rushed down the stairs and out the door, only remembering to lock it just in time.
“"Sadie? Are you still there?"” I asked, sliding into the driver's seat.
"“...yeah. Yeah. Mark, I really need you to hurry.”"
"“Okay, okay..."” I mumbled, untangling the seat belt. “"You mean Tom's Grocery, right?"”
"“Where the hell else?"” She was panting now, and I tested the speed limit as I careened around corners.
"“Please...he's going to kill me. He's going to kill me. He's right behind me, Mark. He's right--"
There was a gunshot on the other end of the line. I crashed into a dumpster.
A man's voice came through on the other end of the line, however, not directed at me. “"Little bitch, you knew what was coming to you if you squealed, and you did it anyway. For ****'s sake, are all women this dumb?"”
I was over the speed limit now, swerving to avoid drunk teens on their way home and barely missing squirrels too familiar with humans to get out of the road.
"“...only a hundred bucks on you? Hmph. Maybe I can pawn off your cell phone for good money...where is it?"”
I screeched to a halt, a block away from the alley. Leaping out of the car, I sprinted to where I could see a woman's hand peeking out from behind a wall. "“You bastard. I'll kill you, you good for nothing--"” My profanities were cut off as a man stepped out onto the sidewalk, his gun pointed straight at me.
"“Hate to tell you, knight in shining armor, but chivalry's dead. Nice try, though."”
He walked forward, and I stumbled backwards. Behind him I could see the hand twitch, then disappear from sight. I desperately tried to stall the crook.
“"Why were you after her?"”
He smirked. “"Why do you care?"”
Sadie staggered out of the alley, bleeding from a wound in her shoulder. She raised a wine bottle up, and brought it down.
The man fell to the ground, his gun beside him. I went to support Sadie, who had started to wobble dangerously.
“"What a waste, huh?”" She questioned, gazing at the mess, the dark red liquor seeping into the cracked pavement.
"“Not at all."” I replied.
Last edited by Revriley on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TuskiyaKira
Private E-1

Postby TuskiyaKira » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:22 pm

You're all so good at writing :O.... My writing pales in comparison.... Lately my writing skills have been failing me.... I hope it's okay anyway.....

Naturally, the call came when he had just drifted off to sleep, after a restless night of tossing and turning. He should have turned the dang phone off, but it hadn’t occurred to him that someone would bother to call at one in the morning.

“Bloody hell.” He muttered, throwing the blankets off, grabbing the stupid contraption off the nightstand. He flipped the phone open angrily, “Who is it!?”

“Xavier! I’msosorryforcallingthisearlybutIreallythoughtyouwouldwanttoknow....” The woman’s voice cut off as she gasped for air. A face to this voice came into his mind, the familiar way she ran her words together, the ever so subtle accent.

“Lain! Why in the world are you calling so flippin early?!” Lain Romero. Jesus, he hadn’t heard from her in years, not since they had all went their separate ways. If he remembered correctly, Lain had been the soft spoken one, huge glasses dwarfing her small face, and that fire red hair that completely clashed with her timid personality. She had always ran her words together whenever she had to say something long, as if to get it over faster.

There was a pause, and then Lain cleared her throat, “Well, I thought you would want to know, since you and Emily were fairly close when you were younger..........” She was forcing herself to slow down, and this promised nothing good. Lain only forced herself to say things slowly when the message was serious.

Xavier sat up, clicking on the light, blinking away the spots in his eyes, “Go on Lain, I don’t have all day to hear what you have to say, and it is one in the bloody morning!” He growled. Emily, Emily... He was running the name through his head.

“S-sorry.... Well.... Emily was murdered Xavier....” She said it very quietly, but he heard her well enough.

“Good God.” He murmured. Emily..... Gorgeous, air headed Emily. She had been such a little fool, no grade better than a C in school, but the boys swooned over her, and she reveled in the attention, the flirt.

Lain continued on the other end, “I’m so sorry I called this early, but Blake didn’t let me know till an hour or so ago,and it took awhile for it to process in my brain.... It’s so very awful.” she whispered the last sentence, still in shock, it seemed. Xavier remembered that back in the day Lain had practically worshipped the ground Emily walked on, funny thing too, Lain being the one with the real smarts, the one who would actually get somewhere .

“I thought I should call you first though. I had your number. And you and Emily were in drama together and.... well, you know.”

Xavier tightened his hand slightly on the phone, “Thank you for letting me know.... It has been such a long time since I’ve seen her.... It’s funny, I always figured she’d go someway other than natural causes. Emily was practically suicidal.”

“Just because Emily liked to take risks doesn’t mean she was suicidal! Don’t speak ill of the dead Xavier!” Lain snapped. She really was taking this hard, she hardly ever snapped at anyone.

There was a pause, and then Lain sighed, “I’m sorry... I just- Oh, forget it. Anyway, the funeral is being held fairly soon, and I’m not too sure you’ll be able to make that but....” she drew in a deep breath, “BlakewasmentioningsomethingalongthelinesofagettogetherinEmilyshonor.”

Lain was back to running words together. Much better than her snapping, Xavier figured. “I’ll try to come to the funeral, but I’m not sure.... I’ll come to the get together though. Let me know when all the plans are final.”

“Okay....” she hesitated, “I guess there isn’t much else to say.... Not really a great time to talk about old times, hm?”

Xavier laughed inwardly. When would he ever want to talk about “old times”? He shrugged, “I suppose so.... Bye, Lain....”

He snapped the phone shut, getting up out of bed, heading to the kitchen to turn on the coffee maker. Xavier figured he had played the part fairly well. He hadn’t slipped up. He leaned against the wall, waiting for the coffee to finish, tapping his fingers on the counter impatiently.

Xavier had already known about Emily’s murder long before Lain called, naturally. He had been the one to kill her, after all.....

AnneR.Key
Private E-1

Postby AnneR.Key » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Sleep. Sleep. Sleeeeep.

Why, no Mr. Snowman, I don't have my phone on. This is a funeral, the leaves on the trees are dead, it's disrespectful, I wouldn't have my-

Ringing. Loud ringing. Stooooop!

"WHAT?!?" I scream into the reciever, hoping it hurt the other's ears. Yeah, take that! Glancing at my alarm, I vaguely realize I haven't set it to go off. I clicked it on. 3:00 A.M. Oh, wait, it's Saturday. I click it off.

"Heyyyy Anna... Whacha doing? That's great..." I hit my face with my palm. Classic -facepalm- moment.

"Who is this, and please GO AWAY!"

"Hey hey hey! No need to get so angry! It's Jet. Come on, you remember me, dontcha?"

I do. Who wouldn't remember THE Jet Black? The myseterious loner with a dark side... Mmm... Uh, I mean, whommm I was friends with for a while. He was always so calm, and informal, and laid back. Until one day when he up and left out of no where with no warning at all!

"Why, oh, Jet! It's so nice to finally hear from you and WHY ARE YOU CALLING AT THREE IN THE MORNING?!?!"

He seems to flinch at that, which I inwardly praise myself for. "Well," He starts, "See... Well, what had happened was..."

Face. Palm.

"Do you remember...that special they had on tv...about that mob bust the cops made?"

I don't wanna know. I do not want to know. I'm not gonna ask. "Yeah... What about it?"

Jet sighed. "I need a place to crash while the heat dies down."

There was a knock at my door.

No. Oh no, no, no, no, no! Heeeeeeck no! Under no circumstances, absolutely, NO!!!

"Come in!" I hear myself yell. I glance at the alarm. 3:07A.M.

Hannah-Lynn
Private E-1

Postby Hannah-Lynn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 am

I sat peacefully on the large boulder, legs crossed, back straight, face lifted toward the breeze that brought the scent and sound of the ocean with it. My hair, it's bright red shade inconsequential here, brushed over my shoulders and off my neck. I sighed softly, relaxed and loving the waves rising up just below me. At least, it was great until a wretched high-pitched ringing sounded. I opened my eyes and looked around. It was getting louder, making my ears hurt. I stood up and spun around too fast, slipping off the boulder.
My eyes sprang open and I bolted upright from my bed, looking around blindly for the ringing. My cell phone lit up on my nightstand and I cursed, ran a hand through my tangled hair, but picked up the unknown number anyway. I figure, if I'm awake anyway, I might as well get to yell at whoever woke me up.
"What?" I growled into the mic.
"Serena? I really hope this is still your number."
I blinked and rubbed my eyes. That was a voice I thought I'd never hear again.
"Roger?" I asked hesitantly.
"Yeah," he said, relief rife in the one word. "Listen, I know it's late and we haven't talked in years but please, I need a favor."
My hackles rose at that. We hadn't spoken in years because of him and every favor he'd ever asked of me had always ended up with me getting hurt, thrown in jail, or costing me a piece of myself I've tried all this time to get back.
"No, Rog. Call one of your friends, I resigned," I snapped.
"Rena! You don't understand! I'm out of time." His voice reached me even as I held my phone away from my ear to hang up. I paused, some fear I couldn't name beginning to unfurl at the bottom of my stomach.
"What is it, Rog?" I said carefully enough to hide both my fear and my anger because my voice wanted to break from both.
"You have to get my dog out of my house."
I paused a beat. "You want me to take your dog for a three in the morning walk? Screw off."
"No! Rena, I'm trapped here and only have a short amount of time. You need to go get Buddy from my house before someone else finds him. He's in that compartment under my bed."
"You left your dog in that box?" I half yelled, my voice rising a few octaves.
"Listen to me! Don't let anyone else get to him or his collar. Don't let anyone know you even have him. Please, Rena, this is bigger than you and me. And it might be the only thing that keeps me alive."
"Rog, are you insane?" This had to be a joke. That'd be right up his alley, the I have a potty mouth.
But Roger never answered. The phone make a harsh crackling sound, then a lot of cursing went up. I heard Roger yell, the closest to a scream I'd ever heard from him. My heart stopped. Silence rang in my ears harsher than I ever knew it could. I listened to the soft slow tapping of steps. Something creaking.
"Who is this?" A voice that sounded like marble grinding on marble came over the line.
"You hurt him, and you won't have to worry about how you're going to die or when because I will be the how and I will be the when. And I promise you, I'm not the sort that thinks revenge is better cold," I snarled.
I hung up and pulled out my SIM card. If anyone called me back tonight they'd get a message saying the number was disconnected. I didn't want whoever that was to get my voicemail and learn my name. I wanted to find them before they found me. But first, I had to take Buddy for a walk.

Hannah-Lynn
Private E-1

Postby Hannah-Lynn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 am

I sat peacefully on the large boulder, legs crossed, back straight, face lifted toward the breeze that brought the scent and sound of the ocean with it. My hair, it's bright red shade inconsequential here, brushed over my shoulders and off my neck. I sighed softly, relaxed and loving the waves rising up just below me. At least, it was great until a wretched high-pitched ringing sounded. I opened my eyes and looked around. It was getting louder, making my ears hurt. I stood up and spun around too fast, slipping off the boulder.
My eyes sprang open and I bolted upright from my bed, looking around blindly for the ringing. My cell phone lit up on my nightstand and I cursed, ran a hand through my tangled hair, but picked up the unknown number anyway. I figure, if I'm awake anyway, I might as well get to yell at whoever woke me up.
"What?" I growled into the mic.
"Serena? I really hope this is still your number."
I blinked and rubbed my eyes. That was a voice I thought I'd never hear again.
"Roger?" I asked hesitantly.
"Yeah," he said, relief rife in the one word. "Listen, I know it's late and we haven't talked in years but please, I need a favor."
My hackles rose at that. We hadn't spoken in years because of him and every favor he'd ever asked of me had always ended up with me getting hurt, thrown in jail, or costing me a piece of myself I've tried all this time to get back.
"No, Rog. Call one of your friends, I resigned," I snapped.
"Rena! You don't understand! I'm out of time." His voice reached me even as I held my phone away from my ear to hang up. I paused, some fear I couldn't name beginning to unfurl at the bottom of my stomach.
"What is it, Rog?" I said carefully enough to hide both my fear and my anger because my voice wanted to break from both.
"You have to get my dog out of my house."
I paused a beat. "You want me to take your dog for a three in the morning walk? Screw off."
"No! Rena, I'm trapped here and only have a short amount of time. You need to go get Buddy from my house before someone else finds him. He's in that compartment under my bed."
"You left your dog in that box?" I half yelled, my voice rising a few octaves.
"Listen to me! Don't let anyone else get to him or his collar. Don't let anyone know you even have him. Please, Rena, this is bigger than you and me. And it might be the only thing that keeps me alive."
"Rog, are you insane?" This had to be a joke. That'd be right up his alley, the I have a potty mouth.
But Roger never answered. The phone make a harsh crackling sound, then a lot of cursing went up. I heard Roger yell, the closest to a scream I'd ever heard from him. My heart stopped. Silence rang in my ears harsher than I ever knew it could. I listened to the soft slow tapping of steps. Something creaking.
"Who is this?" A voice that sounded like marble grinding on marble came over the line.
"You hurt him, and you won't have to worry about how you're going to die or when because I will be the how and I will be the when. And I promise you, I'm not the sort that thinks revenge is better cold," I snarled.
I hung up and pulled out my SIM card. If anyone called me back tonight they'd get a message saying the number was disconnected. I didn't want whoever that was to get my voicemail and learn my name. I wanted to find them before they found me. But first, I had to take Buddy for a walk.

JohnBriggs
Private E-1

Postby JohnBriggs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:59 pm

They say with lack of sleep you can loose it, I knew that I was close. I had hidden everything that could possibly wake me in the night; however,I forgot all about the phone. I had gone to my bedroom pulled the sheets up and reading the adventures of the Chocolate Frog ( Found it after all these years in the box in the attic.) My head was... hanging, then boom, lightning flashed across the sky and then... there was a ring. Go away I think and the lord hears me and it stops for a moment. I let out my breath, it starts- again.

Please I think go away. It was insistant so I rolled out of bed landed with a thump and checked to see if my little boy Jed was still a bed and of course he was. I crawled over the floor slowly, so slowly that it was painful, each move I made it seemed like the hall stretched on forever. At long last I made it to the phone and picked it up. "Somebody had better be dead." I warned the caller.

Dial tone. It rang again and I picked it up " my line was... not good we're on the move- be ready to go."

" Who are you?"

" Cherry Petersburg-old school mate. One you called perky... listen you are being tracked by an experiment Goldfish... this thing knows everything about you, wants you gone destroyed your cheating husband Edward. I know you do not know what I am talking about or whatever, but you have to trust me. Be ready to go Five minutes anything you don't have packed and by the door say goodbye to it because you don't have time. Explain more later." I run around and pack a whole whack of things and was heading to the door when I felt a beam and then nothing.

I blink and I am in a different room " Where am I?"

" You wouldn't have come willingly." A voice on the pa announced.

" Markus? But, but.... you died I watched you, in that fire the one that burned my diamond ring."

" That was perfectly staged. Now look at you, you filth. That does not change the fact that I need you to complete my plan."

" We both know you need me to clean up the mess you made. You were never a clean murderer they could nail you at any time."

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges