[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Your Imaginary Best Friend 9/5-9/11 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your Imaginary Best Friend 9/5-9/11

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:07 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:07 am

Create your own imaginary best friend. What does he look like? What's his zodiac sign? What are her likes and dislikes? What do you agree on? Disagree on?

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

RE: Your Imaginary Best Friend 9/5-9/11

Postby KarenRankowitz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:41 am

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:46 am

Ok, never mind I was never any good at fiction...but I just had to give one dig on the $100 sweater....

Michelle
Sergeant

Postby Michelle » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:57 pm

I like your own response… made me laugh, so that’s got to be good!
:) :)

by the bay
Sergeant

Postby by the bay » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:41 am

My best friend is a rabbit.  Not like Harvey, and not anything like some of the other dumb bunnies that are out there.  No, my friend is a good looking sleek, silver haired rabbit.  His name in rabbit is difficult to pronounce so I call him Bun.  He has read most of the truly worth while books and knows QM physics like his own warren.  He is close to 300 years old and knew many world ranking rabbits and he loves to share his knowledge with me. He was a first cousin to Merlin's rabbit.  Rabbits ,of the kind that Bun is, are a mystical magical race.  They have been written about in all cultures.  They are so much more than humans can imagine.

He found me when I was a child. (an only at that) and began turning the jump rope for me so I could practice. I was 5.  Being so lovely and tall I had to stand on a picnic table to be able to turn the rope so Bun could jump.  As we all know rabbits have large feet.  He tried poor dear, but when he tripped, it jerked me off the table and I hit the driveway and broke both collar bones.  My parents didn't believe my story about Bun.  They didn't believe me about the angels either, so I wasn't too surprised they didn't want to hear about Bun. My mother put her hands over her ears and screamed, "there she goes again, make her stop" Mother would rather shop and not buy anything than get involved with her only child. 

Bun spoke with an English accent, he told me about the stars and plants. He told me which one not to eat and which plants would have strange effects on people.  He spoke to me as if I were as wise as he was.  He asked me questions about being a little girl. 

When I got older he didn't come around very much. Sometimes not for years.  He was kind and explanied that adults were boring and mothers with small children were a menace.  He told me that when I got old enough to be interesting again he would come back.  I've been seeing my dear friend now for the past two years on a regular basis.  Bun remains the same as always.  He tells me I'm more like my young self everyday.

dquiggles
Private First Class

Postby dquiggles » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:43 pm

My best friend is a robot. And yes, he can whoop your best friend's butt! His name is Chore, and he is hardly imaginary. He's also made of wood. Well, wood and screws. Those are metal, right? I'm not much of a robotologist, I'm sad to say. Once I tried to add a battery and some wires to him to help him move. He's so lazy. He never moves! The only thing he's afraid of is termites. Sometimes, he thinks there are termites all over him and I have to shake him and yell at him.

"There's no termites on you, Chore!"

Sometimes he'll call me at the office, which is very sweet. He likes to ask me how my day is going. He tells me not to worry about Janice, that evil woman from Accounting. Chore hates Janice. If I ever took him to the office with me he would probably beat her up real bad.

Chore is the guy who helps me with important decisionmaking. They say imaginary friends are for kids, but I couldn't imagine making decisions without Chore. Not that he's imaginary at all. Ok, maybe certain parts of him are imaginary, but how is that different from anyone else? I imagine things about real people all the time, but Chore isn't a person. He's a robot. A robot made of wood. Without him, I wouldn't be able to make sense of this planet.

whyte_tiger
Private E-1

Postby whyte_tiger » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:12 am

My best friend, like Linda's, is and always will be, an animal. For those that don't know me, my parents divorced when I was 5, and I was crying when she appeared - a unicorn.
Words can't describe her - her golden, flame colored coat, speckled with red like tongues of fire, her spiraling, silver horn, her beautiful, silky, mane and tail.
I stopped crying immediately, because it wasn't right to cry in the prescence of a unicorn, so solemn and beautiful.
I haven't cried since.
I call her Flame, because that fits her. Ever since, she appears every time I'm feeling angry or sad. With her appearance, I feel calm again. A ride on her back is better than the best therapy.
Sometimes, even now, I see her in the fire, dancing and beautiful.She has inspired a story on my part -
Flame Forevermore.

jchambers
Lieutenant

Postby jchambers » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:04 am

My best friend is pilot of this airplane.

He left the cockpit door open so we can watch him work. He would never really guess at anything, or fly off unprepared. He was only asking the copilot about the weather report, who's even younger that he is, to remind his protege of the importance of checking it before take off.

That other thing, just before we took off, the PA announcement about very strong winds and "we made it in okay, so we'll PROBABLY make it back out," was just hyperbole. He's actually flown in strong winds like this so many times it's second nature.

Despite what might look like "tender years" he only flies for this banana airline because the big airlines would overwork him and make him fly too often without enough sleep.

Being buffeted around like this might be risky business with a less skilled pilot. Ha ha -- yeah, see how he spilled his coffee all over all of those clock thingies? That's just to show us passengers they're water or coffee proof...

by the bay
Sergeant

Postby by the bay » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:49 pm

Your imaginary friend is the pilot of the plane you're in this moment?  Wow what airline are you flying these days?  JetBlue?  You scare me, I must pow-wow with Bun, he will know how to soothe my jangeled nerves.  Or is it more like my friend Eileen, who makes a new best friend everytime she speaks to anyone. She can tell her life story in under a minute and a half

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges