Unusual Super Power - 11/10

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
inmyownwrite
Private E-1

Re: Unusual Super Power - 11/10

Postby inmyownwrite » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:28 am

I talk to my fish a lot when I'm feeding them. I've even named them and call them out by name as I drop the food into the tank. On this particular day, I noticed something different. It was almost like they were responding to me when I said their names. They would swim up to the glass one by one and look at me.

I didn't think anything of it at the time, thinking that it was just a strange coincidence. But when it happened again during the next feeding, I began to wonder. I conducted a test and just called out a random name. The fish with that name immediately swam up to the glass to look at me.

Again, while I thought it was thrilling, I didn't think too much about it, figuring they had just learned their names like a cat or dog would. I also found that I could communicate in other ways with them, telling them with hand signals to swim in a circle, go from one side of the tank to the other, etc. Nobody else in my family could make them respond like I could and they thought I was crazy.

One day when I went to feed them, they were acting strangely. Oscar, the fish I had always called the leader, was up against the glass making movements with his mouth, almost like he was trying to tell me something. He was swimming around in circles and practically jumping out of the water. Then the rest of the fish made a strange formation and when I looked closer, I could see that they had spelled out a name. "Mom" was what it read.

My sickly mom had moved in with me and my family and I truly believed the fish were trying to tell me something about her. I went to check on her and found her at the foot of the basement stairs, unconscious. Apparently, the fish had seen her go downstairs and not come back up. I would not have found her or looked for her for hours, as she had been scheduled to go out for the day with her friend. Her friend had come to the house and, not receiving an answer, had just left, thinking that Mom was sleeping and hadn't wanted to disturb her.

Thanks to my ability to communicate with my fish, Mom was okay. She had fractured her skull and was bleeding profusely. The doctor said that if I hadn't found her when I did, she probably would have bled to death.

ansley
Private E-1

Postby ansley » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:24 am

Driving home late from work I punched the radio buttons looking for something to draw my mind away from the boredom of streetlights passing by. A radio announcer introduced a telephone caller and began to chat,
“What is your name?”
“Gerry.”
“How old are you?”
“I’m twenty-one.”

The host and Gerry chat about a point of confusion concerning Gerry’s age. The screener had evidently told the host that Gerry was eighteen instead of twenty-one.

Listening to the conversation I felt sorry for Gerry, sort of remorse. I’m not the type that gets emotional, but I had mild acne as a child, and I could not imagine what Gerry must go through having a face full of pocks. How could he stand getting up every morning and looking into the mirror and seeing the hundreds of holes in his youthful skin? He has to face this every morning, knowing the picture will never change. He has never had a girl friend, and probably never will.

The host continues, “So, why are you calling Gerry?”
Evidently Gerry has some questions about a drug he’s taking and wants to know about the side effects. The host answers his questions, and then asks, “Why are you taking this drug?”
Gerry replies, “I have a severe case of acne.”
His response hits me like a sledgehammer. I already knew what he was going through, I knew the agony he felt. I realized the shame and discouragement he experienced on a daily basis. And I knew all of this as soon as he said hello. How did this happen? How could I know all of this just from his words of casual conversation with the host? I was frightened and overwhelmed with questions about what just happened. Why did it happen? What mystical force gave me this ability?

The confusion in my mind, and the questions I keep asking myself wore me out. I had a long day, and now I had a long drive home. I didn’t want to do anything except drift off to sleep.

I glanced at my watch. Jane would be wondering why I was late. I picked up my cell phone and pressed the speed dial button. Jane picked up the phone and said “Hello”.

My heart raced, I went into panic mode. I didn’t know what to do. All I could think of was the three burglars in my home with guns pointed at my wife. It scared the living daylights out of me. I wanted to do something to save my wife, but what? In a frantic motion I pulled over to the side of the road and said, “Sorry…wrong number”. Then I promptly hung up and called 911…

It was now four thirty in the morning and the police were finally leaving my home. They had done their job admirably. No shots were fired, the thugs were in custody, and best of all Jane was safe. As we lay in bed trying to go to sleep Jane asked me, “Honey, how did you know?”

I replied, “It is late, and it is a long story.”

It was two weeks before I could talk about it, and I made Jane promise not to tell anyone. After all, I didn’t know if I would ever need this special gift again.

razor1971
Private E-1

Postby razor1971 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:35 am

Making Them Smile

After a long night stuck in the airport due to the snowstorm; I woke up. Crumpled on the floor, in a sleeping bag. But! I felt an odd feeling of euphoria on the inside. I had a tingle in my spine. As if someone had tickled it with a feather, and my mind was basking in serenity. This after falling asleep in a aggravated mood.

I rolled up my sleeping bag and walked towards the Starbucks that was around a hundred feet from where I was sleeping. It felt like my feet weren't hitting the ground as I walked, and approached a businessman sitting in a airport chair. He looked at his watch, then up at the posted flight schedules with disgust. He then looks at me, and a Jack-O-Lantern smile full of teeth broadens on his face.

I walked towards a crying little boy, who is sitting on his mother's lap. He sees me, and his wailing and tears abruptly stop. He then gave a Ronald McDonald smile to me, with a face that glistened with tears.

The power I had that morning was incredible! I had a disgusted businessman smiling from ear to ear. And a toddler smiling at me, like I had been sent to entertain him. Even though I had done nothing to warrant these reactions.

As I entered Starbucks with a cup of Caffe Misto on my mind; I saw a woman sitting at a table sipping on a Espresso. Her look down to the cup that she brought towards her lips, was one of disdain. A look of a person being stuck in an airport for an entire night.

As I waited for my Caffe Misto; I studied her from a distance, as she continued to sip. She had bags under her eye's, and a frumpy baseball cap that could not detract from her beauty, as her big brown eye's starred into the distance.

I wondered how did her night go? What did she do to past the time in the airport? Is she by herself?

The girl from behind the counter hands me my coffee; and of course, like everybody else who had looked me in the face that morning; she was smiling.

I debated as to what I should do next. Should I go over and make small talk with her? Or with that distant and disdain look, should I just leave her alone? With my shy nature, I decided to walk out, and leave her alone. As I took a couple of steps to leave; I shyly looked at her. She looked up at me, and that distant and disdained look, had turned into an engaging, cheek-splitting smile.

Five years later, and the brown-eyed woman with the frumpy baseball cap is now my wife. And the mother of my two children.

It's amazing what the power to make other's smile can do for you.

SillyPoet
Private E-1

RE: Unusual Super Power - 11/10

Postby SillyPoet » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 am

It was the end of a very bad day.

It started with a misunderstanding at work. A column had some misinformation, and the mistake was not caught. By her boss and now the paper had to print an apology. It was labeled her mistake, even though she swore she did everything concerning background checks.

The moment she arrived home, and Darla set her head against the coolness of the steering wheel. "I wish I could understand people!" She said to no one in particular.

And now, here she was, sulking.

Her husband had called to say he was coming home late, so she decided to watch some TV. She was channel surfing when something caught her attention. A diplomat was talking to an interpreter, and the man was supposedly translating his words to English; but  it sounded like the diplomat was speaking English too- why did they need an interpreter?

Maybe it was someone translating as it came from the satellite- some of the news crew did similar things before. She never got those jobs, because the only language she understood was English- even then, I still don't understand anyone, she thought bitterly.

Darla decided after dinner to retire early. Tomorrow she was going to report on the interrogation of a possible terrorist.

She sat with several other reporters in a secluded room, watching the accused being questioned. The man needed to have an interpreter, and Darla watched with a recorder in hand to catch it all. The moment the men spoke, She became alarmed.

The translator was speaking, but what he translated was not what the accused was saying! In fact they were plotting something to help him escape- and using this interrogation to feed each other information.

Darla rose, startling the other reporters in the room. “I need to speak to the one in charge- that man is not a real interpreter!”

“How would you know?” piped in one of the reporters. “You couldn't understand pig latin- no less some language nobody's heard of.”

Darla ignored her and banged on the door. “I need to speak to someone in charge please! It's important!”

Soon she was seated in another small room. “How do you know that this man is trying to plan an escape?” the department head asked.

“I have it on tape.” Darla said. “I could understand them as if they were speaking plain English.”

“Any language?” One of the officers asked..

“Try me.” Darla replied.

The man spoke in several different dialects, and she translated each one perfectly. The officer looked impressed. “What was that last one?” asked his superior. He blushed. “Klingon.” he replied, and everyone chuckled.

Another man came in. “She was right about what they were saying. I just had her recording translated. He's plotting to escape, and taking out half our unit as he goes.”

The man in charge smiled. “Madam, you are indeed a hero.”

(497 words WOOHOO! That was hard! LOL!)

renegarapic
Private E-1

Postby renegarapic » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:54 am

Torrential rain beat beat on Jason's face. He was a sodden mess.
He shot across the street to seek refuge under the awning in front of the plaza. His foot caught on the curb and he started to fall. He reached out blindly and grabbed the light pole, just as a streak of lightening streaked across the sky. His hair stood on end and an acrid smell filled his nostrils. The pole radiated a blue-white blaze of light.
The electricity blasted through his body and exited through the sole of his right foot. He slumped to the ground like a pile of smoldering wet laundry.
He woke in the hospital with no memory of the incident. He was discharged on the fourth day. His brother, Jimmy, drove him home to the apartment they shared on campus.
Jason still felt weak but he was so glad to be alive. He danced a little jig and hopped up the step to the apartment. He shot ten feet into the air!
"Whoa! What the heck was that?" Jimmy's mouth hung open.
"I don't know man, that was weird!
"Try it again."
"I'm not sure I want to, but here goes!" Jason tried to hop on his left foot. It barely left the ground. He hopped on the right and he flew 15 feet, straight up!
"Wow! I'll bet it's from the electricity going through your leg!" That's The foot it came out, right?"
"Yeah! It's plenty sore too! That didn't exactly feel good."
"Hey, You're a super-hero!"
"Sure, I'm a super-hero who can jump high on a foot that's too sore to walk on." He limped the rest of the way to the door.
Jimmy went next door and Jason fell asleep on the couch. He woke to sounds of people screaming. His smoke alarm went off just as he got to the door. He backed away from the building and watched smoke and flames billowing from the upstairs windows.
Jimmy came running and sighed with relief when he saw that Jason was outside.
A scream came from the upstairs window. "Help! I'm trapped!"
Jason looked at Jimmy. "I have to try!" He positioned himself in front of the window and jumped. He went too high. He jumped again , more carefully. He grabbed the girl around the waist and brought her safely to the ground. She kissed him and the crowd cheered.
Jimmy punched Jason in the arm. "I guess super-hero in the right word after all!
The end.

Im back acre1964
Private E-1

Postby Im back acre1964 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:46 pm

You wake up one day with an unusual super power that seems pretty worthless—until you are caught in a situation that requires that specific "talent
I remember seeing U.F.O. one night way back in 1977. Then I had a near death situation and realized they are there. Think of the love shack song.
Then I realized why my dad always has a great life. There is something that watches man kind. Then I realized only some of the secrets can be revealed.
Enough to stir up interest but not enough for proof. lol Think of the show The Greatest American Hero T.V. Show and the theme song. Am i just a nutt or not? I even have the abilty to see both side of life. True or not? I think sometimes I am just a nutt but other timed the truth proves me right. Maybe bi-polar or something divine?

miissSarahh
Private E-1

Postby miissSarahh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:57 pm

"Are you awake?" My mother said. I was laying face down on my bed, using every strength I had to act like I was out cold. "Sarah, get up! It's noon and I know you're awake!" She finished....Crap! She saw me move right before she started talking. She had been in my room for a few minutes. I didn't want to go to school today, not after last night. "Sarah! The bus is here!!!" Mother yelled from downstairs. "I'm getting dressed!" I replied with an annoyed tone. I grabbed my back pack and opened my door when suddenly, something weird happened. After that moment, I would never see myself the same.
I got on the bus, pondering the thoughts and ideas of what I had just encountered inside my house. I had awaken with a super power, but why the hell this one? As I sat in my first period classroom, I continued to think about this. I've always dreamed about super powers and saving the world, I mean who hasn't with all the riffraff movies out today, but I'd never in a millions years pictured it to be normal and useless.
I didn't have a very happy lifestyle at school. I had no friends and a lot of bullies. I kept trying to figure out how I could use this power to my advantage, but not one way came to mind...figures! As I walked to lunch, I got ready for the everyday routine of passing by the Davinci Sisters. They were the three meanest triplets in the whole school. I've been the center of their malific torture for years now, it was nothing new nor scary, just dreaded.
I turned the corner, and there they were, staring at me with their arms crossed in the same exact way. "Ready for your swirly, Sarah?" One of the sisters asked me. "Swirly? Uh no, not really, but if you insist. "Ohhh...we do!" They all said at once, sort of cliche. I followed as each of them held me up and pulled me by my backpack and took me to the girl's bathroom behind the cafeteria. And then it hit me, the super power!!!
I stared down with a mischevious smile at the toilet in front of me as the girl's got ready to push my head in it. "Woawww! Where'd she go? Sarah? Oh my gosh!" The sisters bellowed out. I waited until they left the girl's room to go back to lunch.
I guess every dog has his, or in this case, her day! I never again doubted my abilities or what I could be capable of. I guess waking up with the super power of turning into clear liquid wasn't such a bad thing after all!

Im back acre1964
Private E-1

Postby Im back acre1964 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 pm

You wake up one day with an unusual super power that seems pretty worthless—until you are caught in a situation that requires that specific "talent."
I dont want to be another one so I will check out! Think of the respect God will have for a man That turns down all of his power! Maybe the statement Absolute power corrupts everyone might not be true!!! This is a good question to ask yourselves!!!! Maybe If you can do this, Mankind might be better off? God Might Trust us again and not Judge us again so harshly? No fruit of knowledge or the serpent To trick us. What a wonderful Life. Merry Christmans

suzyjo
Private E-1

Postby suzyjo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:14 pm

After waking up from a long nap, I suddenly felt a cold chill going up and down my body. An Arctic air mass that was predicted to make its presence known later in the day blew in with a blast. Because of the change in temperature, I was shivering uncontrollably. My first reaction was to rub my hands together, and, to my surprise, I created such a sphere of warm energy that I took both of my hands and let them slide over my entire body and to my continued amazement my cold chills disappeared. Immediately, I jumped up from the bed and feeling a great deal warmer changed from my denim jeans to my summer shorts.

With this super energy unleashed, I dashed downstairs to the kitchen where my husband, Mike, was dressed in his warm woolen shirt, jeans, and hiking boots getting things ready to fix dinner. He looked at me with a puzzled expression, and said "Do you know that the Arctic front has just blown in and the temperature -- is now . . . " He glanced at the outside thermometer. ". . . 47 degrees. Don't you think that you should put something warmer on?"

I ignored his question and said excitedly, "Honey, this most wonderful thing happened to me . . . "

My enthusiastic response was interrupted when my parents opened the outside door to the kitchen. They were shaking from the frigid weather and eyed me up and down. After removing her warm coat, mom gave me a hug then asked, "Honey, why are you wearing summer clothes when it is so frigid outside?

Again, I tried to give an answer when someone started pounding on the kitchen door. Mike quickly opened the door and a hysterical woman rushed in, grabbing Mike's right arm and yelled in an anxious voice, "My husband for some reason passed out after getting out of the car. He is so cold. Please help . . ."

Because Mike and my parents had to take their time putting on their coats, I was the first one out the door. There a half-block away next to a gray car laid a hefty man who was on his back and not moving. When I finally got to him, I couldn't help but notice that he seemed to be near death. Immediately, I placed my warm hands on his face, and he was very cold. So, without hesitating, I rubbed my hands together, slid them over and above his body doing this procedure over and over until he opened his eyes and said, "What's going on? Who are you?" He then stood up with a bewildered look on his face, took his wife's hand, and both got into their car. Before leaving after rolling her window down, she said with much love and warmth, "Thank you for whatever you did for my husband. Love you." Due to her over-flowing of love, uncontrollable tears flowed from my eyes.

As the couple drove off my husband and my parents looked at me with expressions I had never seen before. I quickly walked back to the house. My hands were shaking as I opened the kitchen door. Due to this power flowing throughout my body, I slammed the door shut, then without hesitating I ran upstairs to the bedroom, and again slammed the door. I paced very energetically in circles contemplating my new-found super power.

suzyjo
Private E-1

Postby suzyjo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:14 pm

After waking up from a long nap, I suddenly felt a cold chill going up and down my body. An Arctic air mass that was predicted to make its presence known later in the day blew in with a blast. Because of the change in temperature, I was shivering uncontrollably. My first reaction was to rub my hands together, and, to my surprise, I created such a sphere of warm energy that I took both of my hands and let them slide over my entire body and to my continued amazement my cold chills disappeared. Immediately, I jumped up from the bed and feeling a great deal warmer changed from my denim jeans to my summer shorts.

With this super energy unleashed, I dashed downstairs to the kitchen where my husband, Mike, was dressed in his warm woolen shirt, jeans, and hiking boots getting things ready to fix dinner. He looked at me with a puzzled expression, and said "Do you know that the Arctic front has just blown in and the temperature -- is now . . . " He glanced at the outside thermometer. ". . . 47 degrees. Don't you think that you should put something warmer on?"

I ignored his question and said excitedly, "Honey, this most wonderful thing happened to me . . . "

My enthusiastic response was interrupted when my parents opened the outside door to the kitchen. They were shaking from the frigid weather and eyed me up and down. After removing her warm coat, mom gave me a hug then asked, "Honey, why are you wearing summer clothes when it is so frigid outside?

Again, I tried to give an answer when someone started pounding on the kitchen door. Mike quickly opened the door and a hysterical woman rushed in, grabbing Mike's right arm and yelled in an anxious voice, "My husband for some reason passed out after getting out of the car. He is so cold. Please help . . ."

Because Mike and my parents had to take their time putting on their coats, I was the first one out the door. There a half-block away next to a gray car laid a hefty man who was on his back and not moving. When I finally got to him, I couldn't help but notice that he seemed to be near death. Immediately, I placed my warm hands on his face, and he was very cold. So, without hesitating, I rubbed my hands together, slid them over and above his body doing this procedure over and over until he opened his eyes and said, "What's going on? Who are you?" He then stood up with a bewildered look on his face, took his wife's hand, and both got into their car. Before leaving after rolling her window down, she said with much love and warmth, "Thank you for whatever you did for my husband. Love you." Due to her over-flowing of love, uncontrollable tears flowed from my eyes.

As the couple drove off my husband and my parents looked at me with expressions I had never seen before. I quickly walked back to the house. My hands were shaking as I opened the kitchen door. Due to this power flowing throughout my body, I slammed the door shut, then without hesitating I ran upstairs to the bedroom, and again slammed the door. I paced very energetically in circles contemplating my new-found super power.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges