Misdialed Number - 9/1

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
wizzy56
Private E-1

RE: Misdialed Number - 9/1

Postby wizzy56 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 am

Very GOOD! The story grabbed me with much interest in the outcome :)

elliswatts
Private E-1

Postby elliswatts » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:17 am

Me: "Hi! How's it going?"

A: "Great! Haven't heard from you in a while..."

Me: "Well you know, busy with work. So where are you now? Still with the same company?"

A: "Nope. Got a new job."

Me: (Darn!) "That's nice. So what do you there?" (Come on give me clue..)

A: "Pretty much the same. But the pay is better."

Me: "Good for you! I'm also kinda looking for new and better things. You think I might have a chance at your company?"

A: "Well sure.. but I thought you said you liked where you are now?"

Me: (Love it.) "Oh you know how us young professionals should always be on alert for market and job trends. Don't hurt to try right?"

A: "..I suppose. You can email me your resume and I can pass it on to HR."

Me: "Great! So uh.. what's your email address there?"

A: (She gives me her email address which has her first and last name in it)

Me: "Thanks a lot A-(I use her first name). We should get together sometime. I'll invite (a common friend)."

A: "Yeah, let's do that."

Me: "Wonderful. Call you later then. Bye!"

CJKulak
Private E-1

Re: Misdialed Number - 9/1

Postby CJKulak » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:24 am

The little monsters were at it again. Procrastination, denial, budget planning – whatever the reason, I had to call the exterminator. As the phone rang, I swore at myself for buying a house. I was a condo person for sure.
“Burberry’s catering!” chimed a male voice on the other end. Crap. Now my mind was going. I remembered the number wrong.
“I’m sorry. I must have misremembered the number. Is this–“ I was interrupted.
“Shona? Really? Is it you?” Even better. My mind was fried and now my voice has been recognized by someone who actually does sound a little bit familiar. “Of course it’s you! I haven’t heard a single person use the word ‘misremember’ since high school! How have you been?”
I tried to focus on the rhythm of the termites’ chewing, hoping that would bring me some Zen way out of the suddenly awkward spot I was in. A high school person? Can this get any worse?
“I’m good… You know, keeping busy…” I grasped for ways to sound at least somewhat impressive while I bought time. “I’m teaching science at the middle school these days, but I still do shifts at the nursing home. You know, in case the school budget goes to hell, I still have something coming in. How about you?” Please give me something I can work with.
“Great,” my mystery man sang out. “I’m actually engaged… and Shona, that’s made me think of you a lot. It’s like kismet that you called.” I can’t be someone’s last fling before their wedding; don’t ask me that. Without trying, I already have so much bad relationship karma.
“When I think about how happy David and I are together – yes, I’m with a guy who has the same name, but I swear it’s not narcissistic – he is totally different from me in every other way – but anyway, I – I just really regret the way I ended things with us.” My hand tingled with recognition of the voice on the other end. His mannerisms were different, but his presence on the other end was enough for my blood to rush to my feet – as far away from my ears, and him, as possible. “I know there is no excuse for the way I treated you, but I want you to at least know that there is a reason. I don’t want to make assumptions about what you’ve been through in the last fifteen years, but – well, I guess I let the cat out of the bag, I’m marrying a man – and you knew my folks. I was… I just didn’t what to think or how to act and I am so very very sorry that you were on the wrong end of it.” No chairs were handy: I sat on the floor. “Shona?”
“I have termites,” I whispered.

jockeykid
Private E-1

Postby jockeykid » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:25 pm

One day it was raining. I was bored and wanted somebody to talk to. So, I decided that I wanted to call an old friend of mine, and see how everything was going in her part of town.
I dialed the number, and here is what happened. "Hello!" said the voice on the other line.
"Hi Sandy, what's going on?"
"Sandy? Sorry, you must have the wrong number."
"Well, isn't this number, 292-8272?"
"Yes, but I am not Sandy though. You have the wrong number."
"Oh, well sorry to bother you then."
"Before I hang up," the other person said, on the other line. "I would like to know who I am speaking too?"
"Robin!" I answered back, a little confused about the reason why she asked me.
"Robin. Robin who?"
"Robin Woodland."
"Robin Woodland. The Robin Woodland I went to high school with?"
"I'm sorry. I'm confused. Who's this?" I asked.
"You don't know me? You don't recognize my voice do you?"
"Nope. Sorry I don't."
"Karen. Karen Little. You know, from gym class!"
For a moment, I thought about the name. Then it dawned on me, that this person on the other line, used to be one of my best friends during my high school years. "Karen! Now I remember. You used to date that one boy, what's his name, Jack. Jack something another."
"Yea, Jack Little. We got married 3 years ago."
"Oh, really. How did that happened?" I giggled. She giggled just as well.
"Well, look Robin, I got to go right now. I'm kind of in a business meeting right now. But, if you leave me your phone number, I'll be thrilled to call you back."
"Okay. It's 313-295-7733. When you get the chance. Don't hurry and rush anything."
"Well, it was nice talking to you again. I will give you a buzz tonight or something. We could go out for lunch one day, okay."
"Yep. Talk to you later."
"Okay, bye."
Then that was the end of the conversation I had with my good friend Karen.

KNH
Private E-1

Postby KNH » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Man: Hello....

Me: Hi...

Man: How can I help you?

Me: I think I have the wrong number.

Man: Who are you looking for?

Me: My friend Denise. Sorry to bother you.

Man: Oh its no bother Jamie.

Me: You know me?

Man: Yea I know you and you know me.

Me: Are you sure I know you?

Man: Yea, we met about three weeks ago at Hugo's birthday party.

Me: You kinda sound familiar. I'm trying to put a face with the voice.

Man: We sat at the bar together.....

Me: Oh my goodness...Paul.

Man: Yup. It's me.

Me: How did I...I don't remember getting your number.

Man: Wow, I'm crushed. Ha ha

Me: I'm sorry.

Man: Here I thought you had tracked me down.

Me: Well may be I should have. I really enjoyed talking to you that night.

Man: I enjoyed talking to you even more. How about we get together tonight and talk again?

Me: Sounds good to me. Same bar?

Man: Same time?

Me: Sounds like a plan.

Man: I will see you in a little while. Hey don't forget.

Me: Don't forget what?

Man: To tell Denise I said hello when you call her and cancel.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Re: Misdialed Number - 9/1

Postby jaus tail » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:51 am

Its midnight, and I’m hell tired as I enter my house from a bachelor party well my ex-girlfriends bachelor party. So I check my wallet and see I’m penniless as usual. Now since I’m a TV writer I earn when my show is on air, no investments, I just give it to my mother. Now since 2 yrs I’m using those investments. So I pick a diary and dial a number.

WOMAN’s VOICE
Hello.

I
Hi could I speak to

Woman
I beg your pardon.

I
Could I speak to

Woman
Once more please

I
Could I speak to, and no more repetitions, I do them only when… strange people ask for it.

Woman
Oh David, I’m so delighted you called, I knew you would call me.

I wish I had dialled the right number. Who the hell was this lady?

I
So, ugh what’s up aunt ‘I beg your pardon’

Woman
You remember me don’t you?

I
Ofcourse I remember you, I was just wondering whether do you remember yourself at this age.

Woman
Well I may be 50 but I look 25

And I recollect all the 25 old women whom I know, well I cant think of my any aunt here.

I
Are you there, hello

Woman (giggles)
Whether I remembered myself that is so you and your bizarre jokes. Do people still laugh at them?

I
If they don’t I tell them your story.

Woman
Well then tell some of my stories to me.

I
That’s a good question but why don’t you tell me stories and I’ll tell you if their your’s or not.

Woman
Still cracking silly jokes.

I
You seem to be fond my jokes, any particular incident you can recall of?

Woman
Well there was this 1 incident where you were crying and your mother was beating you.

I
How is this funny M’am?

Woman
Its funny because… M’am?

I
So how are we?

Woman
Well to be honest I was disappointed, I mean I thought you’d call me yesterday.

I
Well I am, yes, you are in US and I in Japan, time difference its yesterday in Japan.

Woman
But your mother wished me yesterday.

I
My mother ( I had almost forgotten about her) yes I was about to call her only.

Woman
She moved out of US with you only don’t you remember.

I
Ofcourse I remember, I just wanted to know did you remember.

Woman
I know that this is your mother’s apartment, when she called yesterday she said that you gifted her a car for her birthday. Wow so considerate. I wish my son would just have called me, but I guess twin sisters don’t share destinies.

I
Oh yes birthday, (and it strikes to me that today is my mother's birthday)... I’ll talk to you later.

'A car, so considerate' I check my wallet and see myself penniless 'Its high time I get a job and she retire'

And I search in the diary, see my mother’s number.

Moments Later

I am going to sleep when I see 2 Siamese twins photo on the calender.

Woman (V.O.)
I guess twins don’t share destinies.

Moments later

I
(on phone)
Ofcourse I remembered your birthday aunt Fritzi I just wanted to know did you remember your birthday and…

Any feedback would help.

Molex3
Private E-1

Postby Molex3 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:02 pm

My fingers flew as i quickly punched in the number.
"Hey! So glad you called can you hold for like..." The high voice paused. "I don't know, a minute?"
"Sure..." I muttered, uncertain. My mind ran through names that could be the inhabiter of this perky voice. But no one matched. Who was this girl?
"Wow, I guess that took less time then I thought."
"What were you doing exactly?"
"Oh finishing a text to Josh, he just will not leave me alone." You'd think she'd be annoyed but she sounded almost...smug? Why was Josh texting this girl, I should know my own best friends current prey.
"He gets that way."
"Don't i know it." She says it as if everyone else should too.
"You know where he was last night? I couldn't get ahold of him."
"Oh, sorry i kept him too long, he just didn't want to leave." Gotcha, i thought. Josh was with me last night, why's this girl lying?
"I understand, i just needed his help with some homework."
"Maybe i can be of assistence?" She cut in too fast, i wasn't even able to finish saying homework.
"It's Ms. Clark, she didn't fully explain how she got her conclusion."
"Yeah, she was off Friday. I said hello to her and she just glared." I started to remember something, someone practiclly screamed a greeting at Ms. Clark that morning when i stopped by to drop off a late assignment. Someone who's voice usually sounds like nails on a chalkboard when i hear it...in person.
"Megan, can i ask you something?"
"Of course Kaleb. You can ask me anything."
"Stop stalking me."

Mindyp
Private E-1

Postby Mindyp » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:57 am

After a week of hesitation, I dialed the number to my gynecologist's office to make an appointment. I held my breath in worried anticipation waiting for the receptionist to come on the line. One ring. Two rings. Three rings.

"Margo, is that you?" I let go of my breath. This was not the greeting I was expecting.

"Umm, yes, hello." I responded hesitantly.

"I couldn't believe it when the caller ID showed your number, what has it been, a year or more since we last spoke?"

Confusion set in. Had I dialed the wrong number and if so, who had I dialed? The voice was faintly familiar and obiviously happy to hear from me.

"Well, how are you? So many things have changed in the past year, I have so much to tell you! First, are you still dating what's his name? Brian, I think it was. Well, I hope so, he was so cute and you guys were perfect together. Well I got married - didn't you get an invite - and..."

I started to drift off as the woman on the other end kept talking. She barely took a breath between sentences and when she asked questions, it was obvious she wasn't really looking for an answer.

I grabbed my address book from the top of the fridge and began flipping through. I really thought I had dialed my gyne's number. I look at that number and saw I was a digit off on the end. Then I began looking for any numbers that were closely related to people that I knew. Ms. Chit Chat kept right on going with a one sided conversation about her life.

After a thorough search and dissapointing results, I finally tuned back in. I could possibly see why I hadn't kept in touch. She was a touch on the annoying side.

"So, why don't you and Brian come over for dinner sometime in the next couple of weeks?" she finally paused expecting a response.

"Umm, well Brian and I kinda aren't together anymore." I said, and thinking that after I have my appointment, and results, there was probably no chance of reconciliation.

"Oh, well that works. I have a friend of a friend who has tried that internet dating and since that isn't working out for him too well, he is on the market. I will have him come over as well. How is Friday night, say around 7 p.m. Great! I am so excited to see you again. Well I have to go, lots to do. See you on Friday."

"Oh, but umm-" But it was too late. The line was dead. I wasn't sure how I was going to figure out who and where I was going on Friday, but that was the least of my problems right now.

I dialed the correct number for my gynecologist's office this time, but this time I didn't hold my breath.

Mindyp
Private E-1

Postby Mindyp » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:57 am

After a week of hesitation, I dialed the number to my gynecologist's office to make an appointment. I held my breath in worried anticipation waiting for the receptionist to come on the line. One ring. Two rings. Three rings.

"Margo, is that you?" I let go of my breath. This was not the greeting I was expecting.

"Umm, yes, hello." I responded hesitantly.

"I couldn't believe it when the caller ID showed your number, what has it been, a year or more since we last spoke?"

Confusion set in. Had I dialed the wrong number and if so, who had I dialed? The voice was faintly familiar and obiviously happy to hear from me.

"Well, how are you? So many things have changed in the past year, I have so much to tell you! First, are you still dating what's his name? Brian, I think it was. Well, I hope so, he was so cute and you guys were perfect together. Well I got married - didn't you get an invite - and..."

I started to drift off as the woman on the other end kept talking. She barely took a breath between sentences and when she asked questions, it was obvious she wasn't really looking for an answer.

I grabbed my address book from the top of the fridge and began flipping through. I really thought I had dialed my gyne's number. I look at that number and saw I was a digit off on the end. Then I began looking for any numbers that were closely related to people that I knew. Ms. Chit Chat kept right on going with a one sided conversation about her life.

After a thorough search and dissapointing results, I finally tuned back in. I could possibly see why I hadn't kept in touch. She was a touch on the annoying side.

"So, why don't you and Brian come over for dinner sometime in the next couple of weeks?" she finally paused expecting a response.

"Umm, well Brian and I kinda aren't together anymore." I said, and thinking that after I have my appointment, and results, there was probably no chance of reconciliation.

"Oh, well that works. I have a friend of a friend who has tried that internet dating and since that isn't working out for him too well, he is on the market. I will have him come over as well. How is Friday night, say around 7 p.m. Great! I am so excited to see you again. Well I have to go, lots to do. See you on Friday."

"Oh, but umm-" But it was too late. The line was dead. I wasn't sure how I was going to figure out who and where I was going on Friday, but that was the least of my problems right now.

I dialed the correct number for my gynecologist's office this time, but this time I didn't hold my breath.

bronko11
Private E-1

Postby bronko11 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:55 am

"I can't believe I'm doing this. This is ridiculous." Ron whispered under his breath as he watches the call connect.

"Hello?" A soft voice answers.

"Listen baby, I think I'm starting to fall in love with you. It's absurd, but I think I'm gonna have to leave my wife. I want all of you. I can't take it anymore."

"Ron? Is that you?"

Ron pulls the phone away in shock to look at the number he dialed.

"Ron!!!" A voice rumbles through the speakerphone.

"Um...?"

"You small small man!!"

Call Ended.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges