Misdialed Number - 9/1

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Misdialed Number - 9/1

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:55 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Misdialed Number - 9/1

You've accidentally dialed the wrong phone number, but the person who answers sounds familiar. Immediately he/she recognizes you, but because made the call you're too embarrassed to ask who it is. Using only dialogue, figure out who the person is.

You can post your response (500 words or fewer) here.

Brian
Lieutenant

Misdialed Number - 9/1

You've accidentally dialed the wrong phone number, but the person who answers sounds familiar. Immediately he/she recognizes you, but because made the call you're too embarrassed to ask who it is. Using only dialogue, figure out who the person is.

You can post your response (500 words or fewer) here.

Leah Valdez
Private E-1

RE: Misdialed Number - 9/1

Postby Leah Valdez » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:03 pm

Let's see, is Colby's number 46 or 64? I should look it up, but I don't want to get up and get it. The worst that can happen is that I'll get a wrong number and say "I'm sorry" and hang up. I'll try 46.

Ring... "Hello" (a woman's voice).

"Oh, do I have 87546?"

"You sure do. Mia! Is that you?"

"Yes," I say with hesitation. Who is this person?

"I'm so relieved you finally called me. This has to be a miracle!"

"A miracle? Oh, yes, a miracle. I just couldn't locate your phone number."

"Oh, a brain fart. Well, at least you have it now. I am so glad you called."

"You are? Am I that special?"

"Funny, Mia. Of course, you're that special."

I know that voice. I just can't get a handle on it.

"So how's everything with you, Mia?"

"Oh, so-so, you know. Some days are better than others. It just takes time."

"Yes, I know exactly what you mean, but despite your feelings, you called, anyway. Way to go, girlfriend! Say, Mia, would you like to come over for dinner tomorrow night? We'd love to have you!"

We? This must be a friend who's living with a man or married to him. There's Judith, Kimberly, Megan, Julia and Nancy, but this doesn't sound like any of them.

"I'd love to, but I can't. I have a date."

"That's great, Mia. I hope he's a good guy. Well, then, how about the next night? You're not going to hang up until I get a firm date from you."

Oh, jeez, I'm really in a bind.

"Well, all right, how about a week from tonight? I've forgotten your address, though, one of the numbers..."

"Oh, I don't live there anymore. I thought you knew that I've moved in with him. Oh, it was him you wanted to talk to, wasn't it? Does this mean you're still mad at me?"

Oh my god, it's Amy. She's the one who stole Colby away from me.

"Amy, you're a bitch of a friend!" I slam down the receiver.

Neets
Master Sergeant

Re: Misdialed Number - 9/1

Postby Neets » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:37 am

Leah,
I liked your story. Clever and funny.

LaMarshall
Private E-1

Postby LaMarshall » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:58 am

Listening to the ringing on the other end of the phone, I realize I’ve forgotten who I just dialed. I hate that.
“Hello?” I know that voice...
“Yes! Hello, it’s Lisa. Lisa Dero.”
“Is that really you, Lisa? My God, it’s been a long time.”
“Yep, it’s me. How are you? What’s up?”
“Oh, God, we haven’t talked in ages, have we? Are you still in California?”
“Oh, yeah, San Francisco, where it’s foggy and cool on the good days. We actually have some sun today, though nobody expects that to last. How’s it looking where you are?”
“The usual, you know, sunny and hot. Of course you know—you’ve been here in September. The kids are out by the pool, trying to throw the cat in.”
“How are your kids? School going well?”
“Oh, sure, the little one’s in her first year, you know, and she’s gotten over the trauma of entering first grade. The other two are in middle school, and they’re both shining examples of good kids, of course. On their good days.”
“Hasn’t one of them got a birthday coming up?” Asked as a desperate guess of a question, fishing for more information.
“You’re right—Henry will be twelve in a couple of weeks. Can’t believe you remembered that after all this time.”
“It has been a while, hasn’t it? Do you remember the last time we talked? I can’t remember—was I here in California then?”
“You’d just moved, I think there were still boxes left to unpack.”
“How’s that significant other of yours? Job going well?”
“What do you mean? You know Jack and I split up five years ago. Why would you ask that? I never talk to him anymore, other than when he comes by to pick up the kids.”
“I’m sorry, Catherine, I always picture you with him; I know you weren’t happy, especially toward the end there, but you two did look good together.” Ouch. At least I know now who I called. Of course, I can’t remember why I called.

LoReina
Private E-1

Postby LoReina » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:40 am

"Hello?" The voice--deep and firm--spoke, "Hello? Anybody there?"

Since it was too late to hang up, I cleared my throat through a low hum and said, "uh, yes. Good morning!"

"Courtni!" The voice confirmed, "how are you?" Oddly, this wasn't my landlord's voice.

"Confused," I answered lowly, but said cheerfully, "I'm doing well. Thanks for asking. How are you?"

"It's been such a long time since we spoke...about two months." He said, warmly, like a brightly lit day in May, "The girls miss you so much. You're all they talk about."

"Wow, uhm, okay. " I said trying to mask any doubt, "I, uhm, I miss them too?"

"Good, good. Maybe one day, you know, if you're not too busy, I can bring them by to spend time with you."

I widened my mouth to speak but no sound came out. I closed my eyes as my heartbeat ticked loudly in my ear. Nausea filled my stomach and the phone nearly slipped out of my moistened palm."Who is this?" I rehearsed in my mind, but I dared myself not to ask.

"Well, how about tomorrow at 9?" He asked, "breakfast is on me. You still eat french toast, right?"

"Yea. Yea. French Toast," I repeated, "french toast with, um..."
"Honey and powdered sugar!" He said firmly, "okay, sweetheart, the girls and I will be there tomorrow at 9. with the freshest French toast I can make."

"Adam?" I called out, nearly breathless from panic.

I heard his laughter on the line, "yes, dear. I know we haven't really spoken since court. But, I won't let the restraining order get in the way if you don't."

"Adam, I made it very clear that I never want to see you again."

"But you called me," he said, "so clearly, you're in denial. Besides, I've changed my number at least three times since my arrest, so, you must've went through a lot of trouble to find me."

"It was a mistake." I said, angrily, "I dialed the wrong number."

"It was fate!" He answered back, "or are you stalking me? Hmmph?"

"No. Never. You're still the same weirdo."

"The same weirdo who you made three babies with. So, are we gonna see each other tomorrow or not?"

"Ok."

"Ok, yes or ok, no?"

"Just ok." I said. 'click'

Leond
Private E-1

Re: Misdialed Number - 9/1

Postby Leond » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:39 pm

"Hello," I said, cheerfully. "This is Arthur Johnson. I-"
I was interrupted by a male voice at the other end of the line. "Hi Arthur!" it said, enthusiastically. "It's wonderful to hear from you again."
I froze. I was calling Alice, so I should have been hearing a female voice at the other end. And now I was talking to someone I didn't recognize at all, but who apparently was quite familiar with me. There was no way that I could ask who the other person was. That would be fantastically rude. So I decided that I might as well try to figure it out with some well placed questions. It I wasn't stupid about it, it could work.
"It's nice to finally talk to you again."It had to have been a while for me to have forgotten so totally. "It's been a while. I just happened to suddenly think of some of the things we said the last time we talked, so I decided to call. Maybe pick up where we left off."
"I do remember that that was an interesting conversation. What facet of it were you thinking of?"
That had gotten me less than nowhere. "I guess it wasn't so much any particular topic, as the feel of it. You know."
"Yes, that was a strong feel. You know, I feel so dumb, but I absolutely cannot remember where we were when we had that talk that you're remembering so vividly. Where was it?"
Darn it, I thought. I was supposed to be asking the questions, not him. "Great minds are alike, I guess. I mean, I can't remember it either. Too bad." I needed to get the conversation somewhere else. "But that's nothing. So tell me about what you've been doing since then!"
"Doing this, doing that. Same things I was doing before."
I thought I was going to get him on that one. Then I remembered Huckleberry Finn, and I decided to try something really daring. "Say, I've been thinking of sending you a package. It's something I really think you'd like. Only there's one thing. I can't quite remember how to spell your name..." I tensed, lest his name was Bob Frank.
There was a pause for a few seconds, which I couldn't interpret at all. Then the voice came again. "I'm sorry," it said. "It was stupid of me to do this, but I didn't want to tell anybody this. I just woke up in a hotel bed with a bag of drugs and no memory. You say that you know me?"

Drake Speedball
Private E-1

Postby Drake Speedball » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:22 am

Speed-dial rules. Just a few keystrokes and a touch of the little green button, and you are well on your way to a pleasant conversation with a friend or loved one. I’m getting pretty good at it, too – I don’t even have to look at the keypad. That’s why they put that little bump on the five key. I think some people use telephones for business stuff, too. I don’t, as I am unemployed.

“Three-four-send. This is great. I don’t even have to pretend that I remember Zack’s phone number. Come on, pick up.”

“Uh, hello?”

“Yes, may I please speak with – “

“Where in the high holy hell do you get off calling me?”

Oh crap. I think I recognize this woman’s voice. I try my best to sound confident.

“Yes…How are you doing?”

“You rotten jerk.”

Oh crap. This person definitely knows me. It could be anyone.

“Uh-“

“You have a lot of nerve.”

Ah hah! I’ll just look at the screen! Cell phones always display the nickname of who you dialed! Brilliant! I just need to buy some time.

“Uh, yeah, uh, hang on just a sec, could you?” Smooth.

Heart pounding, I remove the phone from beside my ear, and, shading the screen from the sun, find that I am talking with someone named “Kujgd.” Good Lord. I must have been wasted.

“Well? So you think you can sweet talk me and play me and then have your way with me and then disappear? Huh?”

Damn. She does know me. It could be anyone.

“No, no – you misunderstand…I thought I’d just call to wish you a happy birthday. I thought it was in June sometime…” Smooth.

“You rotten jerk. How could you know my birthday? You never got around to asking that when you were pretending to listen to me and, as you put it, ‘really get to know’ me. You pretended to care about my work, and my family, and where I got my ink done. You rotten jerk.”

Ink! That narrows it down! Not much, though…Think!

“Oh, come on, uh, lady, that was ages ago. I actually called to apolo-“

“You rotten jerk! It was like, six weeks ago! Are you high? And don’t give me that ‘lady’ crap.”

Hmm…Tattooed…Six weeks ago…High…This could be anyone. I try the apology angle again:

“Hey, I really am sorry. I am a rotten jerk.”

“You’re damned right, you are. By the way, how’s the wife doing?”

“Wait. What? What the hell are you talking about? Wife? Who is this?”

“Is this Aaron?”

Relieved, I say, “No. My name is Steve.”

“Aw, hell. Wait - Steve! You rotten jerk!”

Then it finally dawns on me.

“Uh, hey, Julie.”

wizzy56
Private E-1

Postby wizzy56 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 am

Very GOOD! The story grabbed me with much interest in the outcome :)

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges