Your Hero 9/12-9/18

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
JonathanD
Sergeant First Class

RE: Your Hero 9/12-9/18

Postby JonathanD » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:23 pm

I am. Me. I am my own hero.
I am not saying that I have one hero, but that wasn't the question.
Who was there when I heard the voicemail when Grandma died... me.
Who was there when my house burnt down... me.
Who was there when my parents found my frozen-car-hit cat on the side of the road... me.
I am my own hero for being the person I am today.
Being a hero is not as simple as saving someone from a fire, stopping the criminal stealing the pack of condoms.
As terrible things happen, we - none of us - are alone, but it is ultimatly up to yourself to overcome the situation and feed tomarrow.
As I am my own hero, you are too. You are your own, and mine as well.
So, to you reading this... to you mom's chaning diapers... to you pets brightening up our days... to you police stopping the drunk from killing me on the road... to you firemen pulling people out of rageing fires... to you...
Thank you.

AnnieK

Postby AnnieK » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:00 am

Mabel’s arthritic hips complained as she rose out of bed and slowly stood. Her ankles, which suffered from the same condition, were stiff and swollen as she made her way vertical to stand and wait till her mind and body connected enough that she could start the walk to the bathroom -- an endless 20 feet away.

Shuffling to the bathroom, she made it safely and did her business. She brushed what was left of her teeth and rinsed her face. Reaching for her brush, she glanced in the mirror and was once again shocked by the wrinkled face before her. Her once long, flowing auburn hair was now a bristly gray mass of short, wispy waves. Her once full, red lips were a slit in her face the color of sand. Her once rosy skin was now a slightly transparently pale hue so vague she wondered how thin it really was these days.

As she made her way down the hall, she noticed her hips and ankles felt a little less rigid and was grateful for their cooperation. The kitchen clock told her she only had a few minutes before the kids would come. Donning her jacket and fluffy slippers, she grabbed the basket of bread as she passed the counter and headed to the front door. Making her way toward her best porch chair she noticed a brisk change in the fall air.

She heard them before she saw them. Their laughter and cheerful conversation caused a flutter in her stomach and a grin appeared. She loved these children as though they were her own grandkids. They lived next door and she knew the “situation” wasn’t a good one. Although their father had assured her that he had things under control since their mother had left them, she knew his pride was speaking loud and clear. But the pain showing in his eyes couldn’t fool her. So, there she sat, ready with the homemade bread and fruit prepared the night before.

Josie was the first to come trotting up the steps joyfully grateful that the hunger in her stomach was about the end and threw her chubby arms around Mabel’s neck.

“Hi Miss Mabel! Whatcha got today?” As far as Josie knew, all children had a kind elderly woman next door who fed them breakfast on school days.

“Wheat rolls and a peach!” Mabel had a way of making even healthy food sound utterly scrumptious!

“Wow!” exclaimed Josie, who loved peaches. Jason and Jeremy soon joined and the three children stood in a semi-circle around Mabel eating and busily told stories of the prior evening. After a few minutes, Mabel scattered them off to school so they wouldn’t be late.

“Thanks Miss Mabel!” They all yelled in unison as they skipped away to the elementary a block down the road. She made her way back toward the front door to get busy on her daily chores. She would need to hurry, school let out at 3:15 sharp!

Michelle
Sergeant

RE: Hero 09/12/2006

Postby Michelle » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:30 pm

Gosh this was a bit a tear jerker, no wounder your grandpa was your hero.

Again this is a great tribute to ones you all love. Your grandfather sounds so special, sorry for his passing, but he has left you with some great memories, he was a very strong man.

Very nicely done! Congratulations.

CillaKay

RE: She is my hero

Postby CillaKay » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:02 pm

Hi Michelle.

Thanks for your comments.  I think we were both very lucky to have known women like our grandmothers! 

And, how funny, my sister is also an interior designer.

Michelle
Sergeant

Postby Michelle » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:20 pm

Good for her!

Maybe theres a faimly tie somewhere!!! ;)

Michelle
Sergeant

Postby Michelle » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:20 pm

Michelle
Sergeant

Postby Michelle » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:21 pm

tdkeaton
Private E-1

Postby tdkeaton » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:40 am

Compact and quick with lighting blue eyes that flicker mischievously. He lives for the moment but possesses a perspicacious memory that belies his years and an infectious anticipation of the wonders of the future. Respectfully refusing to be controlled and masterful at questioning authority, he is simultaneously needy and needed. His confidence is magic. His virtuousness is inspiring. His passion for the unpretentious … pleasure with the plain… have helped me decelerate, reevaluate, concentrate and appreciate. And when, in the silent shadows preceding sleep he lazily gazes at me and whispers “I love you, mommy”, I am reminded how often my little hero has saved me….

Michelle
Sergeant

Postby Michelle » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:13 pm

Sorry for the 3 responses here, I have no idea what happened here!

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges