Allergic Reaction - 6/9

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
sb411us
Private E-1

Re: Allergic Reaction - 6/9

Postby sb411us » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:55 am

We talked on the phone for hours that first call. We loved the same things, ate the same foods, were even involved with the same charity. This match could have been made in heaven except...
We met for brunch at Pizza Hut. I loved the Pan pizza; he liked the Supreme. Okay, so there's one thing we don't both like. Conversation was easy with him. He didn't speak much while I chatted about everything under the sun, including other dates I'd recently been on. For a guy who could keep up his conversation on the phone, he sucked at it in real life.
When we were finished eating, I noticed my eyes were watery and I felt as if I were coming down with something. He took my hand as he walked me to my car, and kissed my cheek as we parted. I drove off wondering if that was the same guy I spoke with who had sounded so perfect. I glanced in the rear view mirror and almost crashed. I face was beet red and swollen; my eyes looked like something out of a scary movie, my lips the size of grapefruits, and my cheeks, oh my, where did they go?? I figured something in the pizza set this off. I went home, took an epi pen shot, and went on.
We met again at a new joint. He kissed my cheek in greeting. Even before our order came, I could feel my face bloating. I excused myself, went to the ladies room, and screamed at the thing in the mirror. I grabbed my epi pen, rammed it into my leg, and waited for the relief. When I returned to the table, he was gone but there was a note: "I'm sorry I had to go. It appears we aren't the perfect fit since your face reminds me of a horror movie." What he didn't realize was his kiss was the problem, not me.

tknemeyer
Private E-1

Re: Allergic Reaction - 6/9

Postby tknemeyer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:17 pm

I sit here at the bar contemplating what I should do with this beautiful glass of beer. Dark in color, full bodied, strong as an ox but smooth beyond belief. Hey, when it comes to a stout beer, expect nothing less is my motto. My hands cradle the freshly drawn glass of Guinness while my fingers tap the sides in a slow rhythmic state of thought.

My friend Chris, sitting next to me says, “so, what are you going to do Tom?”

I raise my head to meet his questioning gaze. Chris has always been a great friend through the good times and the bad. Since the day we met in kindergarten, he always loved to push the envelope. However, tonight seems different, I sense a cautious tone in his voice.

“I don’t know.” I say in a depressed state.

“Tom, I understand how much a good quality beer means to you, but is it worth the risk?” Chris mutters in a way that reflects his manly nature; a method of being sincere, but not soft. That’s just the way guys are. Heck we don’t even understand it.

“That’s what I am contemplating at this very moment.” I say. I continue after a few moments pause, “should I, or shouldn’t I?” That is the question. I keep tapping the glass, although condensation has formed on the glass by now. Chris taking a pull from his delectable glass of Dunkel sits quietly and lets me think for myself.

Speaking in a slightly terrified voice, “You know what this one glass of beer will do to your marriage.” Chris reminds me in a subtle way of what happened last time I pulled the age-old stunt of just going out with the boys. Let’s just say, I had one too many that night.

Chris interrupting, “dude, you have a beautiful little daughter. Don’t mess it up. It’s not worth it.” “That’s true, she is a cutie isn’t she!” I say in a beaming smile only a father of a daughter can give.

“Last time was pretty bad.” I admit to my friend. He quickly responds, still shocked from hearing the recording two weeks ago. “You were so loud. Man! I would have divorced you too if I was a woman.”

“Hey, its not my fault, its hereditary you know!” I defend myself rather weakly as I see the disconcerting stare of my friend. “It wasn’t that bad.” I say. “Dude, you snored through the entire six hours of the tape.” Chris responds.

“It’s not my fault.” I protest. As soon as the words flew out of my mouth, my long time friend shoots me a glance then says sharply, “Denial leads no where!” “I didn’t ask to be allergic to beer.” I fire back. A slight pause ensues as my friend enjoys another swallow from the foam covered Dunkel. “I am cursed!” I say feeling beat down and miserable. “That you are!” he replies.

Both of us just sit there contemplating what to do with this problem. Chris becoming more concerned says, “what is it with your family anyways, how can a grown man be allergic to beer? I,” slightly stuttering with frustration, “I just don’t understand it!” I don’t respond much except the slight shrug of my shoulders, and continue tapping my virgin glass of Guinness, which by now has a puddle of water forming at the base of the glass.

I push my glass away, and say “its not worth it!” Chris looks at me in shock. I explain how my family is too important to me. “I can’t hurt them any longer.” Saddened and worried, Chris starts floundering. Unsure of what to do, he blurts out, “the basement!”

I look at him, “what did you just say?” “Basement!” He repeats. Looking at him quizzically causes Chris to explain in more detail. “You can sleep in the basement, so the snoring won’t bother your wife.”

“Are you crazy!” I exclaim with wide eyes. “It’s filled with rats, all sorts of bugs such as spiders and their sticky webs, and the wet pungent smell of mold. The place is like a dungeon!” “Come on Tom, you don’t have rats, their only mice.” Chris shoots back and continues. “What does it matter anyways? You’ll be a sleep, and the atrocious snoring of yours would drive away any animal, rats included.”

“Sleeping in the basement could save my marriage.” I say with a renewed since of hope. “What do you mean could? It will save your marriage.” Chris says excitedly.

Inspired, I grab my glass of Guinness and raise it for a toast. Chris leads off, “Thank God I didn’t lose another drinking buddy this year!” I respond, “Let the snoring begin.” Then we tap our glasses together, and take a well-deserved drink of quality beer.

CHEERS!

www.anselknemeyer.wordpress.com

Lisanne
Private E-1

RE: Allergic Reaction - 6/9

Postby Lisanne » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:47 am

(One week late and 23 words over the limit, but at least it's written.)

I can’t believe the doctor took my mother into the hall to “talk privately.” Adults are so stupid - the walls were so thin, I could hear everything they said. I picked at my black fingernail polish as I listened.

“Let me reassure you, Mrs. Betts, it’s nothing serious. I just wanted to ask you how things are going with Kelly. I know you’ve been having some trouble with her.”

My mother loved the chance to whine about how I didn’t do my homework and sassed the teachers in school. How my chemistry teacher, Mr. Gruenbach, said I could always answer his questions in class, but I had an attitude.

Oh yeah, I could answer Goofball’s lame questions. All you had to do was eyeball those stoichiometry equations and you could see what the numbers should be. It didn’t mean I was a chemistry geek.

My loser dad had been good at chemistry, and look where it got him: a prison cell. Granted, he’d been making illegal designer drugs. Stupid fool. You can get rich making legal drugs; why would you bother making the kind that can get you locked up?

When they came back in, the doctor tried a friendly look, but I wasn’t having any. I knew what he’d just been saying to her. Besides, he wasn’t my friend, he was some nerd who’d had no friends in high school and had to fill his time with studying, so he went to medical school.

I guess my glare got him to come to the point. “Kelly, you’re just allergic to some of the chemicals in your makeup. Nothing to worry about.”

“Makeup?!” I shrieked in disbelief. “I can’t be allergic to makeup! I finally get old enough to be allowed to wear makeup, and now you’re saying I’m allergic to it?

“And – only an allergic reaction?! Only!!?? I can hardly see, my eyes are so swollen. My cheeks are fat like a pig’s, and I have red splotches all over my face!

“What am I supposed to do, walk around high school looking like some freak?”

He tried for that calming tone doctors use. “Now, now, the swelling will go down in a few days. There are a few brands of hypo-allergenic makeup on the market…”

“Yeah, right, I’ve seen that stuff. They make it in colors only my mother would wear!”

He looked uncomfortable. Too bad.

I thought for a second. “What chemicals in the makeup? Maybe they don’t have to be there.”

“Kelly, I don’t know much about cosmetics…” he began. Of course he didn’t, he was a guy. A geek, too.

I beat it out of the office, since he wasn’t going to be any help. If I could just assay the eyeshadow and blush I used to find the chemicals causing my allergies, I could come up with a formula that would work without them. I could even create my own makeup line, sell it in teen boutiques and online… Till then, at least the hypo-allergenic mascara came in black.

I’d have to start being nice to Mr. Gruenbach. I needed to get into the advanced chemistry class.

Lisanne
Private E-1

Postby Lisanne » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:47 am

(One week late and 23 words over the limit, but at least it's written.)

I can’t believe the doctor took my mother into the hall to “talk privately.” Adults are so stupid - the walls were so thin, I could hear everything they said. I picked at my black fingernail polish as I listened.

“Let me reassure you, Mrs. Betts, it’s nothing serious. I just wanted to ask you how things are going with Kelly. I know you’ve been having some trouble with her.”

My mother loved the chance to whine about how I didn’t do my homework and sassed the teachers in school. How my chemistry teacher, Mr. Gruenbach, said I could always answer his questions in class, but I had an attitude.

Oh yeah, I could answer Goofball’s lame questions. All you had to do was eyeball those stoichiometry equations and you could see what the numbers should be. It didn’t mean I was a chemistry geek.

My loser dad had been good at chemistry, and look where it got him: a prison cell. Granted, he’d been making illegal designer drugs. Stupid fool. You can get rich making legal drugs; why would you bother making the kind that can get you locked up?

When they came back in, the doctor tried a friendly look, but I wasn’t having any. I knew what he’d just been saying to her. Besides, he wasn’t my friend, he was some nerd who’d had no friends in high school and had to fill his time with studying, so he went to medical school.

I guess my glare got him to come to the point. “Kelly, you’re just allergic to some of the chemicals in your makeup. Nothing to worry about.”

“Makeup?!” I shrieked in disbelief. “I can’t be allergic to makeup! I finally get old enough to be allowed to wear makeup, and now you’re saying I’m allergic to it?

“And – only an allergic reaction?! Only!!?? I can hardly see, my eyes are so swollen. My cheeks are fat like a pig’s, and I have red splotches all over my face!

“What am I supposed to do, walk around high school looking like some freak?”

He tried for that calming tone doctors use. “Now, now, the swelling will go down in a few days. There are a few brands of hypo-allergenic makeup on the market…”

“Yeah, right, I’ve seen that stuff. They make it in colors only my mother would wear!”

He looked uncomfortable. Too bad.

I thought for a second. “What chemicals in the makeup? Maybe they don’t have to be there.”

“Kelly, I don’t know much about cosmetics…” he began. Of course he didn’t, he was a guy. A geek, too.

I beat it out of the office, since he wasn’t going to be any help. If I could just assay the eyeshadow and blush I used to find the chemicals causing my allergies, I could come up with a formula that would work without them. I could even create my own makeup line, sell it in teen boutiques and online… Till then, at least the hypo-allergenic mascara came in black.

I’d have to start being nice to Mr. Gruenbach. I needed to get into the advanced chemistry class.

Katrina Rychling
Private E-2

Postby Katrina Rychling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Allergic? How could I be allergic to something I love so much. Something I have relied on time and again to get me through the tough times. I had heard cases where people were allergic to video games, but I never believed them. And I sure as heck did not think it would ever happen to me.

It all started about two years ago, when my best friend Melissa introduced me to the game World of Warcraft. Gamers called it WOW for short. At first I could not get into the game. It was too complicated I said. But Melissa started playing it more and more. I wanted to be a part of the part of her life too.

So I played some more and before I knew it I was hooked. I created characters here and there. By now Melissa had almost maxed out one of her characters. I had to learn how to focus. I chose one character and I did not allow myself to play any others. It worked. I now had a level 80 gnome mage character.

It was great we would do instances together, raids, and quest. Sometimes we would just fish. Then it happened.

I realized that I was not moving forward in my life. I would loose days, weeks, even months at a time. I went to the doctor to see what was wrong. I could not believe the diagnosis.

I was allergic to WOW!

How could I be allergic to it? The game helped me unwind after a hard day and when I was lonely there was always someone to play with. But there was no doubt about it when I thought long and hard about what the doctor had said I knew she was right.

The only cure was to quit. The prognosis was not good. Most people who quit take the game back up again if not now or next week, then when the new expansion comes out. And when people are lonely and sad they go right back to forgetting their peoples in the wonderful world of Azeroth.

So is it worth it? Is it worth loosing all that time and staying stagnant in your life? No, it is not worth it and while I have been trying to quit due to my allergy I still have not been successful. I have however, been doing better. I have been cutting back.

With the less time I have spent playing WOW my allergies have been going away as well. I have been gaining my days back and have begun to move forward again.

Right now I have tried to control my allergies with limited time spent playing, but I do find sometimes my allergies act up and I begin missing whole days again.

It is a burden I will have to live with the rest of my life.

Katrina Rychling
Private E-2

Postby Katrina Rychling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Allergic? How could I be allergic to something I love so much. Something I have relied on time and again to get me through the tough times. I had heard cases where people were allergic to video games, but I never believed them. And I sure as heck did not think it would ever happen to me.

It all started about two years ago, when my best friend Melissa introduced me to the game World of Warcraft. Gamers called it WOW for short. At first I could not get into the game. It was too complicated I said. But Melissa started playing it more and more. I wanted to be a part of the part of her life too.

So I played some more and before I knew it I was hooked. I created characters here and there. By now Melissa had almost maxed out one of her characters. I had to learn how to focus. I chose one character and I did not allow myself to play any others. It worked. I now had a level 80 gnome mage character.

It was great we would do instances together, raids, and quest. Sometimes we would just fish. Then it happened.

I realized that I was not moving forward in my life. I would loose days, weeks, even months at a time. I went to the doctor to see what was wrong. I could not believe the diagnosis.

I was allergic to WOW!

How could I be allergic to it? The game helped me unwind after a hard day and when I was lonely there was always someone to play with. But there was no doubt about it when I thought long and hard about what the doctor had said I knew she was right.

The only cure was to quit. The prognosis was not good. Most people who quit take the game back up again if not now or next week, then when the new expansion comes out. And when people are lonely and sad they go right back to forgetting their peoples in the wonderful world of Azeroth.

So is it worth it? Is it worth loosing all that time and staying stagnant in your life? No, it is not worth it and while I have been trying to quit due to my allergy I still have not been successful. I have however, been doing better. I have been cutting back.

With the less time I have spent playing WOW my allergies have been going away as well. I have been gaining my days back and have begun to move forward again.

Right now I have tried to control my allergies with limited time spent playing, but I do find sometimes my allergies act up and I begin missing whole days again.

It is a burden I will have to live with the rest of my life.

loganatr
Private E-1

Postby loganatr » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:31 am

Wow, it's like being confined to permanent house arrest: The doctor told me today that I can't travel anymore if I don't want to break out in hives. That's right, any time I leave my county expecting to derive any pleasure from the experience (whether I'm traveling for business or for pleasure is no concern, it seems, if I'm looking forward to the experience and expecting to broaden my horizons or expand my tastes), I will have to meet the locals looking like the most inexperienced and prolific kisser in high school. And it will be moderately painful, certainly not painless little blemishes.
So what do I do? Do I spend the seed money for the trip to China on a flat-screen television? Or do I suck it up, order the cream, and finally see the Great Wall?
Put that way, the choice seems obvious. But on the other hand, I could use this eleven hundred dollars to help pay off some bills, maybe even put this toward grad school. Or invest it; that's always an option, too. On the other hand, greater international awareness and a global conscience, suck it, alumni of my high school!
I have a hard time believing that, over the long run, I'm going to want to stick around here forever. On the other hand, maybe if here was... somewhere else? I could move to the moutains, or the ocean, or the sea, and then never travel from there again. Apparently, I could move once before the traveling offficially becomes traveling. But I have to do it now. So... could I stick around in Santa Fe? Florida? Washington State? Mexico? Argentina? China? I know I'm jumping around between populations of seventy or eighty thousand and 1.2 billion people; but certainly I could find a county to live in one of those places and settle down? Or could I?
Do I really love traveling that much that I would accept the dermatological trauma that goes along with major travel destinations? Yes, again, when I view it that way, it's a part of my life. But what about my weekend road trips, my bus jaunts across the country, the thousand miles in three days I'll do every now and then? What about visits to people I see once or twice a year, how do I feel about those trips? Is it worth the hives to be united briefly with my lover on the other side of the Midwest? To see my creative muses in Washington? To drive seven hours to Niagara Falls, or make my way to Philadelphia for some cheesesteaks and a little bit of political culture? With hives on my face the whole time? I might have to think about it, maybe. But odds, I think, are pretty good that I'm still going.

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges