Your Monster Returns - 6/16

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
ironvic
Private E-2

RE: Your Monster Returns - 6/16

Postby ironvic » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:31 am

My birthday treat today is a hot cup of coffee, brewed cowboy style because I sold my coffee maker at the garage sale. I sit alone in my room and contemplate my sorry existence. My investments vaporized after the big stock market crash. My silver and gold bullion-my total savings, all sold, just to make ends meet. Then, I was laid off from my job, but I wasn't a good salesman anyway.

It's lonely in this crappy little hotel room. And noisy. The lady next door turns tricks and keeps me up all night; she really needs to put some padding on her headboard. Then there's Bob, the drug dealer. One day, he's gonna get himself shot. I still send customers to both of them, though. Hell, it pays the rent and keeps me in coffee grounds.

Hang on... Someone's at the door.

"Hello Victor, you look like hell after all these years."

It's The Man From Under the Bed. Every hair on his head is combed neatly, his squarish jaw exudes strength. Nails manicured to perfection, steely blue eyes the color of cobalt and a body as hard as granite. He's the ghastliest beast I have ever seen. His smiling lips, revealing pearly white teeth is enough to make me puke.

I scowl back at him, "What the hell do you want?"

Monster grins and invites himself into my dingy room, "You know what I want, I told you years ago I'd be back. I want you to be happy."

I unleash my fury on him, "You wanna make me happy?! Why don't you eat my shorts you animal! After what you did to me, you can fry in hell! Get the hell out of my room!"

Monster's friendly smile belies the evil in his heart. "Now, Victor, you relax, I have something I have to tell you. Just listen."

Wondering what the beast has to tell me, I tell him, "OK say your piece and get out."

"I just got back from MonsterCon '09 where we draw the number of a lucky client who deserves the annual 30-something 'Message From Hell.'" He pulled out a certificate from his jacket pocket and read from the script; "Victor, you are hereby given this award dated June 29th, 2009. Your prize is the gift of knowledge. Walk out of your building and take forty-four steps down 2nd Avenue toward Baker Street. In the brickwork of the old department store building you will see one brick standing slightly proud and of a unique color from the others. Remove the brick and claim your prize. Happy birthday from all the monsters attending MonsterCon '09 and may this gift bring you joy."

After he read the wording on the certificate, the monster vaporized in a poof of smoke. I hope his ass was singed in the process, he certainly deserves it.

So I paced the forty-four steps, found the loose brick and retrieved the prize. It was a colorful birthday card with balloons and animals painted on it. Inside, it was engraved:

"To Victor: Happy 30th birthday! Tomorrow morning, leave your room, take nothing but the clothes you're wearing and never go back. At 8 O'clock a.m. sharp, enter the Cadillac Doughnut Shop on 5th Avenue and be seated by the front door. A woman will enter and trip over your foot. Her name is Claire and your eyes will meet as you help her up. Nature will take its course and Claire will lead you out of your dark place. Have a happy life.

p.s. Monster sends his best wishes to you."

So, how could I resist? I went to the doughnut shop, bought a cup of coffee and a plain cake doughnut and met Claire. The directions on that card led me to meet the loveliest woman in my life. Something about her warm brown eyes melted my heart. We talked until our coffee got cold. She said she'd be late for work, but that it didn't matter. I don't know about a lot of things, but I know that the woman I met today will help me build a joyful life. Don't ask me how I know. I just know.

writersblock
Private E-1

Re: Your Monster Returns - 6/16

Postby writersblock » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Debilitated from a long day’s work Nora was not only ready for bed she could hear the bed beckoning her to come closer. The voice sounded familiar, she knew she had once heard this voice very long ago, but her parents convinced her some 25 years ago that she was too imaginative for her own good. Groggily walking towards her bedroom Nora ran her fingers through her mangled hair and yawned. Suffering still from her childhood nightmares and tendencies she flicked on a hallway light and opened her bedroom door. She looked slowly around her room and glanced at the bed fit for a queen. Everything about this bed was fit for royalty, large pillows, a comforter that had so much fluff inside she could sink down and feel like she was floating on a cloud, and silken sheets that felt like rose petals all over. While she lay awake looking up to the ceiling Nora thought for a second about turning 30 tomorrow, it was happening whether she liked it or not, she wasn’t afraid or so she thought; She began to slowly drift away. Suddenly her eyes flickered open, as she heard a Thump on the underside of her bed.
I was not imagining things, I knew HE was back! Nora threw her covers off and peered over her bed towards the ground. HE was laying on his back while rubbing his forehead…
“Ouch, that really hurt.”
HE was as small as a leprechaun and looked quite peculiar.
“No wonder I thought you were monstrous back when I was 5, not very cute if you ask me.”
HE jumped up to his feet, tried to crawl up onto her bed, but couldn’t find the strength to pull himself up…
“Ahem. Some help please.”
Nora grabbed him from the back of his pants and pulled him upward. With an Irish accent HE said, “Nobudy said munsters under yer bed were cute fuzzy creatures, we’re creatures of the nigh’, we’re goin’ to look odd.”
That was an understatement. HE had large eyes, a head bigger than the rest of his body and HE was paler than she ever imagined.
“You don’t eat or see the sun much do you?”
HE shook his head. “ ‘Fraid not.” Poking fun at her, HE commented, “Well you sure as ‘eck don’t look so innocent and cute as you once did either Nora, 30 tomorrow ay?”
She nodded her head. HE looked towards her and could read she was still trying to convince herself that it wasn’t the end of the world. She looked away from him and fought back her tears.
“Ay, cheer up li’l miss, you aren’t five any longer, no need to be afraid of things. Lookit you aren’t afraid of me no more, now are you? Nora glanced down to the little creature sitting on her bed, the thing that she was most terrified of when she was 5, now sat on her bed, having a conversation with him. “Just remember to believe in yourself and if you become afraid,” he pulled out a golden locket shaped as a heart from when she was 5 years old and placed it into her hands, “Look at this picture and your fears will disappear.”
Nora looked down at the locket and tears welled up in her eyes, this locket was given to her on her 5th birthday from her grandmother, she thought she had lost it. Inside was a picture of her grandmother and her hugging. As Nora looked up, HE had disappeared.

JazzyJ
Private E-1

Postby JazzyJ » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:48 am

The candles have been blown out, everyone has left, and the exhaustion of the day has finally set in. As I started to clean up the mess leftover from the traditional family birthday party, Jay decided we let it wait until the morning and head to bed. It had been a late night for both of us. We said our goodnights, and before I knew it he began to snore… but unfortunately the haunting of turning thirty kept me awake.
Ugh, Thirty!? I remember being 8 like it was yesterday. Those were the days… toys for your birthday instead of clothes. Ice cream cake… instead of vanilla – and not having to clean!
But as my eyes started to get heavy, I decided to forget my troubles and snuggle up to Jay – and that’s when I heard the scurry of little feet run across the floor into our en suite bathroom.
“What the…” I thought to myself, confused. “Jay, did you..?” He continued to snore, “ah never mind, I’ll look myself”. I rose and begin to walk toward the bathroom… and to my surprise, the gremlin had returned.
“Happy Birthday!!” It yelled loudly.
“Gizmo?? What are you doing here? I’m not scared of you anymore…”
“I bet I could still spook you,” he said with that horrid laugh.
“You still haven’t told me why you’re here… I thought I got rid of you years ago!”
“Yes dear, but remember that one conversation we had… when you stopped believing… I told you…” he stopped for a moment.
“You told me… that all it took was to relive my youth even for a minute…” I trembled…
“And I’d be back forever!!” He said as he lashed at me.
I yelled as loud as I could but no one came to my rescue. He was right, he can still spook me. “Get away from me!” I shrieked.
“No! We’ll be together forever!!” He laughed again, and I fainted.
I awoke to Jay shaking me - It was morning.
“Bad dream babe?” He asked.
“Yeah… it must have been… but it felt so real.” I said rubbing my arm. I looked down, and there was a big gash from when he jumped on me.
“What’d you do??” Jay asked worriedly.
“Oh, I must have had an itch or something, I’ll be fine” I said confused.
“Cut your nails babe, that looks bad” he said sarcastically.
I laid back down and closed my eyes, relieved, until I opened my eyes, and there he was on the top of the headboard. With one more horrid laugh, I knew… it wasn’t a dream.

JazzyJ
Private E-1

Postby JazzyJ » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:48 am

The candles have been blown out, everyone has left, and the exhaustion of the day has finally set in. As I started to clean up the mess leftover from the traditional family birthday party, Jay decided we let it wait until the morning and head to bed. It had been a late night for both of us. We said our goodnights, and before I knew it he began to snore… but unfortunately the haunting of turning thirty kept me awake.
Ugh, Thirty!? I remember being 8 like it was yesterday. Those were the days… toys for your birthday instead of clothes. Ice cream cake… instead of vanilla – and not having to clean!
But as my eyes started to get heavy, I decided to forget my troubles and snuggle up to Jay – and that’s when I heard the scurry of little feet run across the floor into our en suite bathroom.
“What the…” I thought to myself, confused. “Jay, did you..?” He continued to snore, “ah never mind, I’ll look myself”. I rose and begin to walk toward the bathroom… and to my surprise, the gremlin had returned.
“Happy Birthday!!” It yelled loudly.
“Gizmo?? What are you doing here? I’m not scared of you anymore…”
“I bet I could still spook you,” he said with that horrid laugh.
“You still haven’t told me why you’re here… I thought I got rid of you years ago!”
“Yes dear, but remember that one conversation we had… when you stopped believing… I told you…” he stopped for a moment.
“You told me… that all it took was to relive my youth even for a minute…” I trembled…
“And I’d be back forever!!” He said as he lashed at me.
I yelled as loud as I could but no one came to my rescue. He was right, he can still spook me. “Get away from me!” I shrieked.
“No! We’ll be together forever!!” He laughed again, and I fainted.
I awoke to Jay shaking me - It was morning.
“Bad dream babe?” He asked.
“Yeah… it must have been… but it felt so real.” I said rubbing my arm. I looked down, and there was a big gash from when he jumped on me.
“What’d you do??” Jay asked worriedly.
“Oh, I must have had an itch or something, I’ll be fine” I said confused.
“Cut your nails babe, that looks bad” he said sarcastically.
I laid back down and closed my eyes, relieved, until I opened my eyes, and there he was on the top of the headboard. With one more horrid laugh, I knew… it wasn’t a dream.

AnnieBone
Private E-1

Postby AnnieBone » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:01 am

"Hello, hello! It is the little people from under your bed. We are here to congratulate you on achieving 30 years of life on the Planet Earth. Even though you will not see us we will continue to visit you every night. We will bring with us any item of importance that you have misplaced during the day. That is our job as little people for the next 30 years. You can always rest assured that nothing of importance will ever be really lost, it will be here with us under the bed where you may retrieve it. However, we can only do this for 30 years. On the eve of your 60th birthday we will return to haunt your final years with what we like to call 'I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE!' We will often take items and hide them in the strangest places. You will know when we have been up to our tricks. So enjoy our help for the next 30 years but never forget what lies ahead......."
Based on Cherokee legend as told by my grandfather, James L. Shoemake

wizzy56
Private E-1

Postby wizzy56 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 am

A beastly heavy breathing woke me up out of a sound sleep. The disturbing guttural sound reverberated through the pillow and into my left ear as my eyes snapped open at "11:38 PM". I couldn't move. I could only listen to the strangely familiar sound which was obviously coming from under my bed. I was hoping that it was just remnants of a bad dream and that the sound would go away but it wasn't and the breathing continued.

My heartbeat quickened when the memories came. I was five years old staying with my grandparents when I heard the same sound coming from under a bed in their guest bedroom, while standing petrified outside the bedroom door. I refused to even go into that room, let alone sleep in that bed even after Grandma and Grandpa tried desperately to assure me that no monsters existed in their house or in this life.

I slept on the couch in the living room whenever I stayed with them again, but it wasn't the end of hearing the "breathing monster". One night, as Grandma and Grandpa slept, I silently crept along the hallway in the dark of midnight, past their room, to go to the bathroom. As I neared their door I heard that same sound coming from within their room, only this time it was much louder, almost a growl. Even as scared as I was, I began to giggle thinking that what I might have been hearing was Grandpa snoring. But the longer I stood there, mesmerized by that sound; I knew it was the "breathing monster" and I KNEW it was going to get either my Grandpa or Grandma. I peed my pajamas when the monster got louder and I rushed away to the bathroom to hide.

The next day Grandpa died when a gun that he was cleaning went off and took the top of his head and sent it to the ceiling of the garage. My family says that he was "cleaning" the gun but I think otherwise. Grandma died a month after that when she slipped and fell down an escalator while shopping at Sears for a pair of shoes.

Now the "breathing monster" was finally under my bed on this, the eve of my 30th birthday. With memories of Grandma and Grandpa clear in my head I shot of bed and lunged for the door which I always kept shut. It was somehow locked. I couldn't open it. I looked to the bed with big eyes, thinking that I was surely going to pee myself again when I saw it come out from under the bed. It was jet black, hairy and it stood up like a man.

Within 20 seconds it disappeared into the shadows of the room and I haven't heard from it in quite a awhile but it talked to me before it left. It said:

"You're next. Live your life like there's no tomorrow..."

wizzy56
Private E-1

Postby wizzy56 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 am

A beastly heavy breathing woke me up out of a sound sleep. The disturbing guttural sound reverberated through the pillow and into my left ear as my eyes snapped open at "11:38 PM". I couldn't move. I could only listen to the strangely familiar sound which was obviously coming from under my bed. I was hoping that it was just remnants of a bad dream and that the sound would go away but it wasn't and the breathing continued.

My heartbeat quickened when the memories came. I was five years old staying with my grandparents when I heard the same sound coming from under a bed in their guest bedroom, while standing petrified outside the bedroom door. I refused to even go into that room, let alone sleep in that bed even after Grandma and Grandpa tried desperately to assure me that no monsters existed in their house or in this life.

I slept on the couch in the living room whenever I stayed with them again, but it wasn't the end of hearing the "breathing monster". One night, as Grandma and Grandpa slept, I silently crept along the hallway in the dark of midnight, past their room, to go to the bathroom. As I neared their door I heard that same sound coming from within their room, only this time it was much louder, almost a growl. Even as scared as I was, I began to giggle thinking that what I might have been hearing was Grandpa snoring. But the longer I stood there, mesmerized by that sound; I knew it was the "breathing monster" and I KNEW it was going to get either my Grandpa or Grandma. I peed my pajamas when the monster got louder and I rushed away to the bathroom to hide.

The next day Grandpa died when a gun that he was cleaning went off and took the top of his head and sent it to the ceiling of the garage. My family says that he was "cleaning" the gun but I think otherwise. Grandma died a month after that when she slipped and fell down an escalator while shopping at Sears for a pair of shoes.

Now the "breathing monster" was finally under my bed on this, the eve of my 30th birthday. With memories of Grandma and Grandpa clear in my head I shot of bed and lunged for the door which I always kept shut. It was somehow locked. I couldn't open it. I looked to the bed with big eyes, thinking that I was surely going to pee myself again when I saw it come out from under the bed. It was jet black, hairy and it stood up like a man.

Within 20 seconds it disappeared into the shadows of the room and I haven't heard from it in quite a awhile but it talked to me before it left. It said:

"You're next. Live your life like there's no tomorrow..."

Lanee M.
Private E-1

Postby Lanee M. » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:28 am

Great. Wonderful. The thought of the dreaded 3-0 was keeping me awake, the languid turns of the ceiling fan wings reminding me of myself-tired, lazy, old. Why couldn't I have died young, 25 maybe, with a six year old and a guinea pig and a nearly-extinct travelling husband to visit my grave? I could achieve Marilny Monroe status (except I'm a brunette; ah well). Then no one would remember me as being 30, thirteen pounds overweight, and a good-for-nothing wannabe poet moonlighting as a mother, and - what was that?

From under the bed, there came a soft clacking sound, like a tongue, clicking to retrieve a cat from beneath a bush. It made my heart stop. My body froze. I KNEW that sound. 'Daddy, there's a monster under the bed', I'd lament to my father when I was eight, nine, ten, eleven, at which point the sounds abruptly stopped (either that or Dad stopped listening). I was suddenly overcome by reminiscings of myself, in my Big Bird pajamas, in the fetal position under the blankets, whimpering about the odd sounds coming from underneath my bed.

But hey, I'd lived through childbirth. I was about to be 30 years old! I cleared my throat, loudly, hoping to announce to the monster my wide-awake presence. It continued, softly, muffled by the old blankets and various I-feel-bad-for-leaving-you-home-alone gifts from Senor M.I.A., left there to rot.

"Um...hello?" I called, softly, hoping this was still a dream. Then, a sudden bump, and I was thrust upward, gasping for air. Boxes were shuffled. Heavy breathing sounded. Then, at the coner of the bed, a dark hump sat. I couldn't get the air in my lungs fast enough, nor my hand to the lamp. Clicking it on, the unseen being came into view.

"Um...hi there," he mumbled, awkwardly, his enormous yellow eyes peering about the room, everywhere but at my own eyes. "Sorry to wake you. But, um, I have a message for you."

I stared, wide-eyed, at this being, sitting hunchbacked and grotesquely at the foot of my bed, bouncing on the balls of his feet. I couldn't speak. I told, Daddy. I TOLD him!

"The message is...I think it's time to get a new bed. This mattress sags right on my back. I mean, you HAVE had it since you were eight."

louriddell
Private E-1

Postby louriddell » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:20 am

No one believed me about the monster under my bed. When I was little I would switch on the light and run and jump on to the bed and yell for my mother to come turn the light off, but she refused as I grew older and I had to face the dread of trying not to walk too close to the bed in case a cold hand snaked out and grabbed hold of my ankle. Once in bed, I would lie and listen for the noises that began under the bed…

Now I’m about to turn 30 and still I can’t escape the irrational fears that tormented me as a child. I’m back in my parents’ house for the first time since I was a teenager and I almost fainted when mom gleefully announced, “You’ll be back in your old room, Jane, we’re remodeling the guest room”…Oh great, almost 30 years old and STILL feeling like a kid…

I managed to get into bed without anything sliding out from under and grabbing me. Maybe it will be OK, and I can put the childish fears behind me. I’m all grown up now, after all. I snuggle down into the blankets, smelling the long-forgotten scent of the detergent mom has always used, reminding me of sheets flapping wetly on a clothesline under the summer sun.

I’m drifting off now, but a sudden sound snaps me awake. It came from under the bed. I feel my palms start to sweat along with the pounding of my heart. My throat is dry as I listen, ears straining to hear beyond the clicking of the crickets outside my window. It comes again, the secretive, SLITHERING sound that struck terror into me as a child. My eyes dart frantically around in the semi-dark, trying to discern shapes of objects in the room. A patch of dark beside the bed suddenly becomes blacker, and I realize the monster from my childhood has risen out from under the bed, and is watching me.

Red eyes take shape in the blackness and the monster speaks, “Jane, how nice to SEE you again”. It sounds as if it’s speaking through a mouth containing too many teeth.

“Wh-what do you want?” I whisper through dry, cracked lips.

The monster issues a ghoulish chuckle.

“I’ve been waiting for you for so long. You see, when you were younger you were such a little toothpick, not much meat on your bones. But now,” it spoke through teeth and gathering drool, “Now you’ve fattened up SO nicely! Mmmmm…yummy…”

There’s a sudden fetid stench and with mounting horror I realize the monster has opened its mouth and is preparing to eat me, as it wanted to, all those years ago. Damn, I KNEW I should have shed those extra pounds I put on when I went to Europe last Su---

wizzy56
Private E-1

Postby wizzy56 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:27 am

I don't know whether to laugh or be scared to lose weight. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges