[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Cliché 03/28-04/03 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Cliché 03/28-04/03

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

RE: Cliché 03/28-04/03

Postby KarenRankowitz » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:09 am

Ah, now there's a comedy waiting to be written -

"Hey, Dude, y'alls ruff is leakin'",

"Hoss, y'all gotta round up the old tir's in the pasture, I'll get the missus".

Karen :)

Mustang Suzy
Private E-1

Postby Mustang Suzy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:21 am

Hell has no fury like a woman scorned

Fury found, Woman's Hellatious actions lands her in jail

Like a woman scorned, Hell has no Fury

Woman's Fury makes husband feel like Hell

Mail has no hurry, Snail mail scorned

Plymouth Fury: She will drive the hell out of it!

To Hell with Fury: A woman's guide to Happiness

Scorned Scones: A Women's Day treat you will die for

Why women are Furious and the men who love the hell out of em'.

Fury up, this is ridiculous

EvieMay
Sergeant

Postby EvieMay » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:59 pm

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:12 pm

I'll try to work off my favorite cliché, and by that I mean the one I love to hate most...

*You can't have your cake and eat it too*

Happy Birthday, but you get no cake!

Who gave the birthday girl a piece of cake?

Here's your cake, go trash it.

Can I pleeeease have some of my cake?

Who'll eat my cake anyway?

Enjoy your cake, but don't eat it.

Have a piece of cake, but don't eat it.

Good Lord, can I just have a piece of my cake?

Should you have any of your cake?

You never get to eat your cake, only everyone else's.

...And by the way I finally googled this stupid cliché and found this (yes--stupid! I'm that passionate about it)...
"The things people want are often incompatible. This proverb is easier to grasp if it is understood to mean 'You can’t eat your cake and have it too.'"--bartleby.com
Now, there goes the or missing logic. They are supposed to be based on logic.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:41 am

OK, I'm back. A cliche I malformed on another forum prompted Robin to prompt me to try it on here...

Cliche': The light at the end of the tunnel.

The train

Fire in the hole!

The Illuminati in the dungeon.

France in the 18th/19th century.

The tunnel, at the end of which emanates light.

A glowing, warm presence in the darkness.

The blinding, white light at the end of the tunnel.

The boulders fell away, revealing a stream of luminous day from outside the dark cavern.

The light at the end of the carpal tunnel.

The scope at the end of the proctologist.

I wavered a bit on the last one, but decided it was ok after all... :)

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:56 am

"To make a long story short..."

To make a short story long - now there's a novel idea

(or has that been taken already?)

msnow
Private E-1

Postby msnow » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:34 am

My first response to the prompts. Here goes:

1. Silver appliance discovered in newborn's oral orifice
(born with a silver spoon in his mouth)

2. Rodent device attracts millions to inventor's door
(invent a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door)

3. Wealth unable to acquire high arousal state
(Money can't buy happiness)

4. Earth rotation contingent on currency
(Money makes the world go round)

5. Rate of earth rotation is currency
(time is money)

6. Man was lured into transportation
(Taken for a ride)

7. Wealth immediately severed from politician
(A fool and his money are soon parted)

8. Wealth clogs circulatory system
(Too rich for my blood)

9. Extinction of complimentary meal
(There's no such thing as a free lunch)

10. Woman suffocates in multi-grains
(Rolling in the dough)

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:42 am

msnow - absolutely love them all.  Great first post - and welcome!

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:46 am

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:52 am

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges