Making Your Bed - 6/30

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Trissa
Private E-2

Re: Making Your Bed - 6/30

Postby Trissa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:49 am

As usual, I was running late for class. I go to the Technical College across town, making for a 45 minute drive. It didn't help that I slept through my alarm and had to face the universe sans mascara to makeup the time. I looked at my messy bed and said a prayer that mom would be too busy with other things today to notice. My mother is a stickler for neatness. I was almost out the door, piece of toast in hand when...

"Cheryl Mae Armbrustor!"

I knew that tone of voice. The hammer was about to fall. "Were you born in a pig sty, young lady? Just look at the condition of this bed."

I shuddered. One of the rules at our house is that if you're still living at home by age 20, you pay rent. Not much. But you also have to keep your space neat. My unmade bed just threatened my pocketbook. Looking at my feet, I saw mom's beloved Irish Setter -- Paddy.

"But, mom, I MADE my bed! I left the door open a little when I went to the bathroom. I heard noises coming from my room and when I went back I found Paddy rolling all over the bed." Now Irish Setters are notoriously rowdy dogs. I looked down at Paddy and shook my finger at him. "Bad, Paddy! Bad, dog!" Paddy just looked at me and dropped into his "let's play" position, dog butt waving wildly.

At this, mom came flying down the stairs. "Don't you dare scold Paddy! Poor, baby," she cooed as she bent down to hug the red wriggling animal. "He was just wanting to play. You hardly pay attention to him at all."

"Fine, mom. Maybe when I get home tonight I'll walk Paddy. But I have to get going or I'll be late."

"Whatever you say, dear." Mom's voice was muffled as she nuzzled the dog. Yes, dog may be man's best friend. Sometimes he's a girl's best friend, too.

Pamwrites
Private E-1

Re: Making Your Bed - 6/30

Postby Pamwrites » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:55 am

Nicely said .. :emoticon:

Pamwrites
Private E-1

RE: Making Your Bed - 6/30

Postby Pamwrites » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:09 am

I'm late! Late for a very important date! Gotta get the mop washed, pearly whites brushed and attire adorned to make my one and only job interview. With today's economic dip the bed making seemed at the bottom of my chore list. But, I guarentee it'll get made from here on out--or at least I think this will happen .. :).

creativelyyourz
Private E-1

Postby creativelyyourz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:55 am

"I can explain."

My mom folded her arms, her eyes locked onto the mound of twisted bed sheets and comforters. She was waiting.

“I know how you get sentimental about your memories of my childhood. So, I thought that I should leave my bed exactly the way it is, as a memorial of my younger self. I’m going to college soon, and the truth is, you will never get moments like these back.”

“You’re not even a high school senior, yet.”

“It’s never too late to start memories, mom. All we have is now.”

“You’re right, honey.”

I gave a sigh of relief. I can’t believe that actually worked, I thought.

My mom pulled out her cell phone and snapped a picture. “Anymore ‘memorials’ you want me to see?”

Pamwrites
Private E-1

Postby Pamwrites » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 am

I'm late! Late for a very important date! Gotta get the mop washed, pearly whites brushed and attire adorned to make my one and only job interview. With today's economic dip the bed making seemed at the bottom of my chore list. But, I guarentee it'll get made from here on out--or at least I think this will happen .. :).

JeremyHong1234567890
Private E-1

Postby JeremyHong1234567890 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:11 pm

It was a sunny morning. The morning songbirds chirped happily as the sun rose in the sky. Everything was fine until I woke up. I hit the “alarm off” button, and wearily looked at the clock.
8:02.
I nearly fell out of bed in surprise. I had hit the snooze button maybe 4 times while I was sleeping without noticing. I leaped out of bed, and began changing faster than humanly possible. I managed to get to school on time.
The first period of school was pretty rough, seeing as I has just rode my bike 2 miles in about five minutes. I was as tired as anybody could ever be. The rest of the day went pretty smoothly. It was when I got home when my troubles began.
See, my mom gets home before me. She likes to come home to see that everything went perfectly fine getting to school, and coming back. What she saw didn’t make her laugh, or smile. It made her mad.
“What is that?” She asked me when I got back from school.
I looked around the room she was pointing at. I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. My room was always messy.
“That.” She repeated, pointing directly on my bed.
I looked over and saw that when I had gotten up this morning, in the rush I forgot to make my bed. The result was a crumpled mess of a blanket that made it look like an anthill.
“Why is your bed like this?” My mom said. “You know that I don’t like your room messy, but I put up with it anyway. The only thing that I ask of you is that you manage to keep your bed nice and tidy, so people don’t think you’re a complete pig. But you can’t even seem to manage that.”
I was starting to get mad, but I realized my mom was right. If I couldn’t even manage to keep my bed nice, then how were people going to think of me? However, that didn’t change the fact that I wanted to get out of trouble.
“B-but mom!” I stammered. “You don’t understand! I was uh...”
“Hmmmm?” She asked. “You were what?”
I struggled to think of an excuse, but the problem is, when you realize that the person you’re arguing whit is right, it makes it really, REALLY hard for you to make up an excuse. And even if you manage to think of one, it comes out totally random and unbelievable.
“I-I....” I stammered. “Yo-you see, I... uhhhhhh....”
I could see my mom’s eyes widening with rage. She seemed ready to explode any time now. I had to stop staring at my feet and just say something off the top of my head, whether it made sense or not. Otherwise, I’d be sleeping on the roof tonight.
“I...” I said, as I was about to say the excuse that didn’t exist. I scraped something off the top of my head and said, “Yo-You see, I uhhh.... I died last night.”
The minute I said it, I knew I could go back. So I continued.
“You died?” my mom asked, changing her face from angry to amused.
“Yes.” I said, having no idea where I was going with this. “I died last night.... and I’m just a figment of your imagination. I’m not here right now.”
My mom looked at me for a good five seconds. Then she burst out laughing.
She laughed for about a whole minute and I began to laugh with her. We laughed and laughed, and I wondered if I was off the hook. My mom finally sat up and smiled, wiping tears out of her eyes.

“You are soooo grounded.”

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges