Envy - 6/23

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Envy - 6/23

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:02 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Envy - 6/23

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:02 am

Write about someone you envy. Start your story with, "I wish I didn't envy (fill in the blank) so much, but I can't help it."

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

heathermoreland
Private First Class

RE: Envy - 6/23

Postby heathermoreland » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:51 am

I wish I didn't envy the luckiest lady in the world but I can't help it.

She is able to enjoy the one earthly thing that my heart yearns to experience in every aspect possible. She is graced by the sight of the slight tilting of the head with the cutest little boyish grin I have ever seen that flip flops my heart all around, suffocating me within. She can caress those perfectly rounded fingers, so strong yet so gentle. She can stand with and yet fall upon the strong stature of such a gem as he. She can conversate daily with the most intriguing and loveable man ever. The perfectly rounded "junk in the trunk" ;) is hers to devour.

I wish I didn't envy her but I do. I wonder if she knows just how lucky she is. I'm sure she does... With such a treasure sitting before you, it would be all but impossible not to know it's worth...

Alishaseloc1
Private E-1

Re: Envy - 6/23

Postby Alishaseloc1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:37 am

I wish I didn't envy men so much, but I can't help it! You have to admit that they do have it much easier then us less fortunate women. From adolescence, through the prime of adulthood, and finally to the culmination of women’s anatomy- affectionately called Menopause- women suffer, sweat, push, tweeze, and weep through life.

It starts at childhood- this unjust differentiation between Men and Women. Little girls are tirelessly trained by their erratic predecessors (their mothers) to dress right, play lady-like and groom themselves endlessly. The process only progresses with age after the introduction to make-up, razors and hair products. A professionally trained lady dare not step foot in public without the cover of their well-crafted “Face”- consisting of goopy mascara, rose red cheeks, and perfectly glossed lips.

-A teenage boy need only wake up, throw on what ever ill-smelling ensemble lies on top of their hamper, and finish off their look with a sweat-lined baseball cap.

Its game over for girls once puberty hits. No one can truly prepare us for the damning day when the flood gates open and unleash their ferocity upon us. With the onset of each monthly episode come the gut wrenching cramps, massive back-aches, rapidly fluctuating mood swings, and 24-hour munchies- usually only satisfied after five to seven days of overindulgence. AND we can expect to see all of these symptoms back in just 28 short days! Pain or no pain, we are still expected to walk out of the house dressed to the nines regardless of the fact that all we want is to lie in bed in our sweats.

-Guys… well NOTHING can even compare.

If that wasn’t enough convincing, let me just mention the joys of childbirth. Sure a man may feel the innate need to sew his seed, but that decision bares no consequences to HIS body. Women are the ones who have to deal with cravings, excruciating back aches, swollen ankles, morning sickness, unattractive stretch marks, and countless other agonizing symptoms, all while being jabbed in the ribs by a growing fetus. After nine full months of our bodies shifting into shapes that seem nearly impossible to reverse, comes the actual delivery- no need to even go there.

-Men may occasionally make a midnight run to DQ, or spend a couple nights rubbing our swollen feet, but that hardly qualifies them for a medal of honor.

Just when you think it couldn’t get any worse, our parts fail us and leave us with out so much as a warning. In its place we are left with mood swings which make Hitler look like a saint, hot flashes, and a major loss of libido- a downer for everyone.

So men may not have to put much effort into their appearance, and they certainly never have to experience that precious “monthly gift”, go through the labors of childbirth or lose their cool (literally) during menopause- but even with all of that said… I wouldn’t trade it for the world!

scarletscribe
Private E-1

Postby scarletscribe » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:59 pm

How I envy Daisy

I wish I didn’t envy her so much, but I can’t help it. She has it all – looks, family, a life of ease, pampered and loved. Her big brown eyes capture everyone she meets. Her bouncy walk tells the world she is happy and content. She doesn’t have to work or worry about where her next meal is coming from. She eats all she wants yet stays slim and trim.

How she dresses seems to be the furthest thing from her mind and she is content to keep the hair color and style nature gave her. She has this wry sense of humor that she only shows to those closest to her. Though she seems stand-offish at first, she is warm, loving and loyal when she gets to know you. I have experienced how motherly and compassionate she can be when I was not feeling well.

I know she didn’t always have it so easy. Her early years were harsh. She came from a neglected home and seldom had enough to eat or anyone to care about her. I’m sure some of the other residents harassed her and maybe even abuse her, but somehow she came out of this terrible past with her joy in life intact and an extra special tenderness in her soul once she overcame her shyness.

I’m not sure what is behind a genetic defect that causes her knee caps to slip out of place. Some days I see that she has trouble walking but she accepts the discomfort with such courage and determination I have to admire her. She has been in my life for over seven years and I cherish each moment we have had together even though I do envy her. You see, she is our dog, Daisy, who now leads a dog’s life of being a spoiled pooch. And I envy that life of ease.

MandyLeigh78
Private E-1

Postby MandyLeigh78 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:23 pm

I wish I didn't envy single, childless women so much, but I can't help it. They have a freedom that they don’t even realize. They can go anywhere they want to, when they want to. Got the sudden urge for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice cream? A single, childless woman doesn’t have to load up three kids into their car seats, check with her husband if he would like that flavor and if he minds her leaving, drag the children into the store and across the aisles, answer her cell phone when her husband calls and wonders what’s taking so long, drag the kids through the check out and back outside, put the kids back into their car seats, and when she finally got home she wouldn’t have to share her ice cream with 4 other people!

A single, childless woman can sleep in every weekend if it tickles her fancy. I think the last time I slept in was at least six years ago. My children and my husband have a tendency to wake up before the sun rises.

Going to bed would be as simple as laying down and turning off the light, not fighting the children’s constant bedtime stall tactics and then my husbands constant advances. Hello, I’m tired! Go to bed!

But its more than just sharing ice cream and sleeping in. Being a mom, you’re always on “Mommy Alert:” where are the children and are they ok? Have they snuck outside to the pool? Are they in the other room smearing Vaseline all over the walls? Are they beating each other up? Even when the children finally go to sleep, it’s hard to relax. You’re still on “Mommy Alert.” Childless women don’t have that responsibility. I envy that, especially at the end of a very long day.

Being a wife, there’s always another opinion to consider. I knew that when I got married, but I can’t help but envy single woman who make their own decisions. If it were just me, vacation would be on a secluded beach with a good book, not on a head boat looking longingly at that beach while fishing over the edge of the boat when I’m not throwing up over it. I’d go to Taco Bell at least once a week. I couldn’t tell you the last time I’ve been there, because my husband doesn’t like it.

I don’t like the fact that I envy childless, single women, but if I’m completely honest with myself, I have to admit that I am.

joannintx
Private E-1

Postby joannintx » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:12 pm

I loved hearing about Daisy - and, even though I am a dog-lover-owner I was thoroughly surprised! Great lead in to describing her and surprising us. I, too, think of my Shih Tzu as a person. He knows my every mood and reads my mind. Good work.

joannintx
Private E-1

Postby joannintx » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:12 pm

I loved hearing about Daisy - and, even though I am a dog-lover-owner I was thoroughly surprised! Great lead in to describing her and surprising us. I, too, think of my Shih Tzu as a person. He knows my every mood and reads my mind. Good work.

ironvic
Private E-2

Postby ironvic » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:12 pm

I wish I didn't envy the garbage man so much, but I can't help it. Every morning his big ol' truck wakes up the cranky neighbors and his life is simple. He gets to clang trash cans before dawn and cruise around all day. And he gets paid pretty good, too.

On trash day, I just roll over and go back to sleep after he rumbles on his merry way. I don't have a job and my life is an open ended thing. Perhaps I'll go get a cup of coffee and a doughnut 'round noon when I get up. I wonder if the trash man envies me...

sparklingstar
Private E-1

Postby sparklingstar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:42 pm

I wish I didn’t envy…

the person who has no negative ego based character flow and truly lives in the present moment to fulfill his life purpose with joy, happiness and all the abundance, life is about; or better - life can be … Is it not our self created little monster in us, whispering “I am not good enough”, “I am not able to do it”, “I have not enough time, money, self esteem?”… Which leads us into that space of feeling lost, low and, tho with, nurturing this little essence of envy - that drives us crazy? Just drop it! Just let it go, the old behavior pattern we still carry around our waist line, and waste our energy, just get rid of it - But this would be too easy, wouldn’t it? It is much easier to dwell on other peoples individuality in being what they are;... rich, successful, loved and there we go, complaining about our own self, our personality and putting it down,

... holding me off to develop, create, visualize to finally manifest that particular essence what I miss out in my life and envy in somebody else because sometimes it’s so much easier …

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges