French Toast Fiasco - 5/26

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue May 26, 2009 4:24 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue May 26, 2009 4:24 am

You wake up to the smell of sizzling French toast. You have to have some, but it's coming from your neighbor's house and the two of you aren't on speaking terms. How do you get the French toast?

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

Imogine
Private E-1

Re: French Toast Fiasco - 5/26

Postby Imogine » Tue May 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Mmm! The sweet aroma of French Toast arouses my senses. I see a plate of hot french toast sitting before me and I reach for a bite only to find out that it is a dream. I wake up and I can still smell the French Toast. Is Michael making me breakfast? Is it my birthday? Is it our anniversary? I'm not a mother so it can't be for mother's day. I look at the calender and realize it's just another typical October, Monday morning. Michael is at work none the less. So where is that wonderful smell coming from? Why is it so strong in my presence?

I run downstairs to realize that it's not coming from my own kitchen but from that of my only neighbor next door. House second from the corner of our street. A sigh of disappointment escapes me as I lean against the door frame on my back porch and stare in the direction of her house. We're not speaking at the moment. I recently yelled at her for letting her dog poop in my back yard, on top of her calling the police on my husband's vehicle when she KNOWS he's away on business. Too bad, her French Toast smells really good. And now I want some!

That's when I decided to make the best French Toast I know how to make. And they're not just going to be any old French Toast! MINE will have vanilla powder and hazel nut powder. I was cooking up a storm! Soon my kitchen was smelling better than hers! I knew it was going to be great! Once I had plated the French Toast there was a knock at my back door. It was my neighbor. She had brought a plate of her own French Toast I had so longed for moments ago. This was almost shocking to me.

"Consider it a peace offering." She smiles warmly when I open the door.
I smile back and accept the French Toast and in return, give her a piece of my own for taste. She was so swept away by it we ended up exchanging recipes. It was then on we became recipe buddies rather than rivals.

Imogine
Private E-1

Postby Imogine » Tue May 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Mmm! The sweet aroma of French Toast arouses my senses. I see a plate of hot french toast sitting before me and I reach for a bite only to find out that it is a dream. I wake up and I can still smell the French Toast. Is Michael making me breakfast? Is it my birthday? Is it our anniversary? I'm not a mother so it can't be for mother's day. I look at the calender and realize it's just another typical October, Monday morning. Michael is at work none the less. So where is that wonderful smell coming from? Why is it so strong in my presence?

I run downstairs to realize that it's not coming from my own kitchen but from that of my only neighbor next door. House second from the corner of our street. A sigh of disappointment escapes me as I lean against the door frame on my back porch and stare in the direction of her house. We're not speaking at the moment. I recently yelled at her for letting her dog poop in my back yard, on top of her calling the police on my husband's vehicle when she KNOWS he's away on business. Too bad, her French Toast smells really good. And now I want some!

That's when I decided to make the best French Toast I know how to make. And they're not just going to be any old French Toast! MINE will have vanilla powder and hazel nut powder. I was cooking up a storm! Soon my kitchen was smelling better than hers! I knew it was going to be great! Once I had plated the French Toast there was a knock at my back door. It was my neighbor. She had brought a plate of her own French Toast I had so longed for moments ago. This was almost shocking to me.

"Consider it a peace offering." She smiles warmly when I open the door.
I smile back and accept the French Toast and in return, give her a piece of my own for taste. She was so swept away by it we ended up exchanging recipes. It was then on we became recipe buddies rather than rivals.

Lisanne
Private E-1

Postby Lisanne » Tue May 26, 2009 2:07 pm

Great twist, Imogine. I really enjoyed your story!

Lisanne
Private E-1

Postby Lisanne » Tue May 26, 2009 2:07 pm

Great twist, Imogine. I really enjoyed your story!

XintricKim
Major

RE: French Toast Fiasco - 5/26

Postby XintricKim » Tue May 26, 2009 3:30 pm

I wake to the smell of French toast.  I sit up and look at the dog.  She wags her tail and stares at me.

"You can smell it too, can't you, Baby?"  I ask.  She barks and jumps off the bed.

I wander out of the bedroom and through the rest of my home.  It is Tuesday morning.  My girlfriend is at work, so where is the smell coming from?  

The open kitchen window beckons.  The smell is coming from the trailer next door. Our new neighbors just moved in a week or so ago.  I have never met them, let alone any of the other families in the trailer park.  Now what? 

"Come on, Baby, let's go outside!" I say.  I put the leash on my tiny dog and walk out the front door.  We meander across the yard towards the neighboring home.  The windows are too high; I can't peek inside and probably shouldn't.

Baby barks madly and tries to pull me toward the front of the trailer.  

"What is it Baby?  I walk to the front of the trailer.  Once Baby barked and dragged me around because she found a turtle.  I like turtles and thought maybe she had found another.

Instead I see a toddler in the driveway walking towards the road.

"Stop!" I yell.  The little boy turns.  He sees me and starts to run away, until he spots my little dog.

"Puppy!" he shouts.  He directs his next steps toward Baby and leans down to pet her.  Baby usually runs from small children but she seems to understand the importance of standing still on this occasion.

"Tommy!" a woman shouts.  She runs towards us and scoops up the small boy with tears in her eyes.   "Oh, thank you. I don't know how he got outside!  How can I ever repay you?"

I look at Baby and she wags her tail.  Multiple rewards pass through my mind, but I know what the right answer is for us both.

"How about some of that French toast?"

Imogine
Private E-1

Postby Imogine » Tue May 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Thank you!

Imogine
Private E-1

Postby Imogine » Tue May 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Thank you!

scscloud
Private E-1

RE: French Toast Fiasco - 5/26

Postby scscloud » Wed May 27, 2009 12:42 am

Light crept through my open window, and the cool breeze brought with it the intoxicating notion of French toast. I wiped my eyes, not ready to wake. What torture, that smell! Shrugging the thought of more shut-eye, I decided to follow my nose out to the deck.

It would be coming from her place, I thought.

My neighbor Mindy and I hadn’t spoken since my cat tried to befriend her. He’s a social one, Gershwin, and has always fraternized with the neighbors. Mindy did not appreciate his efforts. She complained to the landlord and soon management sent me a notice instructing me to keep him contained or face fines.

The wind picked up and knocked me sideways with another jolt of French toast.

I’ve got to have some, I thought. I wonder

“Gershwin?” I called inside the door. “Come here boy!”

With his motor on high he purred and appeared.

“You want to go out, little man?” I asked.

After gracing me with an appreciative leg rub, he snuck through the door and began to prowl the grounds. Not too sure of the outcome, I sat patiently on the porch and listened. It wasn’t long before Mindy spotted him.

“Arghhh!” Mindy grunted. “That cat!”

As I heard her stomp from her kitchen, for the first time I was grateful for thin walls.

“Yes, this is Mindy in apartment 5A?” she paused. “My neighbor has let that cat out again, and he’s roaming all over the place.”

“Well I don’t care how long he’s been out! He bothers everyone, you know, not just me.”

“Fine, I’ll get him myself. But you meet me over here right now and take him back to that brat of a neighbor I have!”

He he. I giggled to myself. I knew I wouldn’t have long, so I rushed to my kitchen and grabbed a plate, just as I heard her door open. She deserves what’s coming.

I snuck out of my front door, pleased to find hers ajar. With a quick glance, I let myself in and headed to her kitchen.

“Well thanks, Mindy. You must have read my mind,” I said. She had made a tantalizing portion of French toast. I threw a few slices on my plate and tiptoed back to my place, careful to leave her door as I had found it.

After my last bite, I put my dish in the sink, well sated and amused with myself. Then there was the expected knock on the door.

Good timing, I smiled.

I opened it to find a red-faced Mindy and the complex manager carrying Gershwin.

“Oh, thank you,” I mused. “He must have snuck out when I was watering my plants. I was so worried!”

I took my accomplice into my arms, promising it wouldn’t happen again, and bid them goodday.

“You deserve a treat, little man.” I said, heading for the tuna cans.

I wonder what she’ll cook next weekend…

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges