Haunted House - 5/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
theauthoressghost
Private E-1

RE: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby theauthoressghost » Tue May 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Maybe I’ve read one too many gothic novels. I didn’t think much of them at first. I knew they were just stories, so when I bought the 1800s Victorian, I didn’t believe the ghost stories surrounding it.
I’d seen the mansion. It was nice, the old statues and antique furniture was a bit creepy, and I wasn’t too crazy about how my bedroom’s lock was broken, but I made plans to explore it that night.
At eleven o’clock, all was dark. It wasn’t storming, but I could hear the branches scraping against my window. I reached for a flashlight, but the one I’d put on my nightstand was gone, replaced by a candlestick. I reached for my bedroom light, but there was no switch! So I struck a match and lit the candle, carrying it with me as I snooped in and out of the rooms.
They were dusty, and much of the furniture was covered in sheets. The floors creaked whenever I walked on them. I wouldn’t have minded, but my nerves were shocked when a shutter flew open in my face! I laughed, thinking I was just being silly, but my heart pounded vigorously.
I turned around, half-expecting to see a transparent face, but instead, my attention was drawn to the portrait on the wall. Her pretty brown hair was pulled up away from her smooth white skin, and her black eyes stared longingly into the distance. Her clothes were elegant, ruffled and pastel blue, and I read the name on the plate, “Baroness Lucia Debray.”
I tried to forget that. I’d heard the story of how Baron Debray and his wife were murdered by a hideous creature with yellow skin and sunken features and bloody fangs for teeth. I’d heard about its bony body and razor claws, and how it disguised itself using the fine clothing of noblemen, and I’d heard about its magical powers to draw its victims in before it sucked the life out of them with its flaming green eyes.
By the time I got to the parlor, I was shaking. I looked to the mantle, expecting another portrait of Lucia Debray. Instead, I saw a fine mirror, with silver borders. It was dusty, except for a small section of the bottom. I squinted to read it. My candle cast a faint light on the words:
Christen Becker, leave this place.
My heart caught in my throat. I am Christen Becker! Behind me, I heard a distant sound of a piano, playing the notes to Con onor Muore, but when I looked, no one was there.
I gasped, and the music stopped immediately. As I fled from the room, I heard a second set of footsteps behind me. I rushed into the room that held the Baroness’s portrait, locking the door behind me. There was a moan; horrible feminine screams pierced the night. Then, a burst of wind doused all the lights, and I found myself staring into a fearsome pair of green eyes

Imogine
Private E-1

Re: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby Imogine » Tue May 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Another night of weird floor creeking noises didn't bother me. After a while I had gotten used to the fact that the beautiful house I had bought was noisy, but just as I was getting comfortable a strange and unusual thing happened.

I woke up in the middle of the night, thirsty as ever! I crept downstairs to get a tall glass of water and when I got to the doorway of the kitchen I see a male figure standing in front of the sink. I am startled at the site of this. I live in his house by myself. Planning on turning it into a boarding house. I'm not married. Don't have a boyfriend but have an ex-boyfriend. But I don't think he knows where I've moved to. I am standing frozen in the doorway. Could it be? Is it a ghost?

The man then turned away from the window and looks at me dead in the eye. He has a blank expression on his face. He didn't look angry or happy or anything! He just looked at me. His eyes so empty and dark, his hair shined a dark brown in the moonlight and he wore a black t-shirt. He must have been in his late twenties.

"Who are you?" I finally ask. Trying to overcome my fear of the idea that it might be a ghost. But being a real person could be more scary.
"I've been watching you." He says no louder than a whisper. His lips were almost smoldering as he spoke.
"I'm sorry?" I say.
"I like watching you." He continues.
Okay! This is getting creepy. I reach for the phone in my robe pocket to call the police, but he stops me.
"It doesn't matter what you do." He says. "By the time they get here, I will be gone."
I shake my head at him, confused. Who is this man in my kitchen? Why does he look at me that way? And most importantly, why am I not as afraid of him as I should be?

KA Smith
Private E-1

Postby KA Smith » Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 am

Breathe, I told myself, you’ve moved before. I know the first night in any new place is unsettling. Now I get to hear all those noises that I did’t hear over the chatter of the realtor and the home inspector. That last one was just the branches of the white birch rubbing up against the house. As old and as beautiful as it was, it was too close to the house. Note to self, call the tree company in the morning.

That creak, just that loose shutter.

Okay, so I have a weakness for old houses, they have character, sue me. When I saw this pre-Revolutionary farmhouse, I fell in love. It was warm and alive, just the perfect escape from the sterile city co-op I’d occupied during my now failed marriage. It was nice to be in love with something again.

That shutter was grating on my already frayed nerves. I had to tie it down. I slipped out of bed wearing only a tank top and panties and padded barefoot into the hall. It sounded like it was coming from library. I stopped halfway down the stairs. I’d swear I heard a booted foot in the foyer. Great the alarm company wasn’t coming until tomorrow.

I ran back to my room and rummaged through my purse until I found every city girl’s security blanket --- pepper spray. Feeling better, I headed back down stairs.

“Whoever you are, I’m armed” I yelled. Like pepper spray would be any match for handgun.

The door to the library was ajar. I pushed it back slowly, pepper spray at the ready. The moon shone through the large windows casting the skeletal shadows of birch branches on the wood floor. That tree definitely had to go.

The room was freezing. It’s October, but it wasn’t supposed to be this cold? There must be a window open. Had someone come through it?

“I’m coming in now. If you know what’s good for you’ll leave the way you came. I’ve called the police.” Silence except for that damned creaking.

I remembered reading in one of those thriller novels that you should crouch down when entering a dangerous situation since the bad guy would aim high for your chest. I got on my knees and hoped I was low enough.

I crawled in. Nothing happened. One good thing about being alone, you don’t make an ass of yourself in front of anyone. I started to stand up when I heard a deep male voice.

“Did you lose something other than your clothing, my dear?”

I looked up in the direction of the voice and screamed. Above my head, was a man in a Revolutionary War British uniform staring quizzically down at me. He was swaying from a noose. I fired off the pepper spray but it passed right through him.

As I grabbed my coat off the coat tree in the foyer, I remembered the Comfort Inn up the road.

ironvic
Private E-2

Postby ironvic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:53 pm

The wicked thing lives here. It crawls around at night and I lock the bedroom door. The scratching outside the door diminishes as dawn breaks. I can safely shower and go to work.

I must be home before dark. Before the fanged thing slithers the empty house again.

I bought a shotgun.

I doubt it'll do me any good...

ironvic
Private E-2

Postby ironvic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:53 pm

The wicked thing lives here. It crawls around at night and I lock the bedroom door. The scratching outside the door diminishes as dawn breaks. I can safely shower and go to work.

I must be home before dark. Before the fanged thing slithers the empty house again.

I bought a shotgun.

I doubt it'll do me any good...

swimmer007
Private E-1

Postby swimmer007 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:18 pm

"Are you out of your weak mind?" Peter's muscular arms raised above his head, clasping his fingers around the back of his neck.

"Stop it! Stop calling me weak!" Darla sputtered like a lawn mover about to run out of gas. She stood in the doorway, afraid to come in.

Peter shifted in his black leather computer chair. He begrudgingly stared at her.

"See! You have no answer. You have no explanation, other than you 'think' this apartment, this apartment I pay the rent for, is haunted! He spat.

"It, it is! I see things! I hear things!" Her voice rising to hysterics. Bags under her once smooth under-eyes, her cheeks broken out, and her hair was getting thinner.

"My point exactly. You don't know what your talking about. I work all day and come home to listen to your bull s&^%? I got this apartment so you can write! Why aren't you submitting your work? Huh? You actually have talent. Submit it and get some of your own mother f***** money for once!"

Darla collapses against the door frame. Her body shook violently.

Peter continues to stare at her, until he saw a dark shaddow emerge from Darla. The shaddow walked across the door, up to the wall in front of his desk. Peter's mouth opened, he could not scream, nor could he move. The shaddow came into focus. Horns grew up to the ceiling, the hooked nose, red eyes, and a blurry face got larger and larger until it opened its mouth. Swallowing up the room into eternal darkness. Biting the sins of yesterday over and over again.

swimmer007
Private E-1

Postby swimmer007 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:07 am

AnnieRoonie~

This is my faveorite response. Your word choice, and how you chose to break into the story.

P.S. I wonder why more writers here do not comment on the writing prompts?

swimmer007
Private E-1

Postby swimmer007 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:07 am

AnnieRoonie~

This is my faveorite response. Your word choice, and how you chose to break into the story.

P.S. I wonder why more writers here do not comment on the writing prompts?

windvalley82
Private E-1

Postby windvalley82 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:22 pm

“What was that?” she poked her husband Jade in his side. Always a deep sleeper he was hard to awaken.
“Did you hear that? Jade, wake up! Listen” Groaning he turns over mumbling about the weather... she sighed. This time she shoved him, hard
“Jade. Jade...Wake up”
“What...” finally a response
“Listen, do you hear that.”
“Hon, it’s our first night in an old house. You are going to hear noises, the house is...settling.”
“I think it is more than that....”
Jade groaned of course it is more than that. His wife watched every paranormal show on the television. She would scare herself silly and still wouldn’t stop. He didn’t watch the shows but he would listen to her when she wanted to talk about one. Now though he just wanted to sleep, it had been a long day and moving was both mentally and physically exhausting.
“Jade, are you listening to me!” “Sorry. I am just so wore out...”groggy he turned his back to her. “Well, never mind, I am sure it was nothing.”

A couple hours later, Jade awoke.....shivering.... his breath came out in an icy stream.
“Jeeze...” he groaned. Reaching down he pulled up the covers burrowing them around his head.
It didn’t help, turning he reached for his wife seeking her warmth...his eyes flew open. The bed was empty, he sat up.....rubbing his eyes. The house was dark, no sound, no movement....everything was eerily still.
Pulling on his sweats.... he walked down the hall there at the base of the stairs, was a small opening.
“What the....” Moving closer he leaned down to look inside it was small passage way. “Whoa....” Stepping back he looked around, he had a feeling of being watched and cold chills moved down his body.
A shadow streaked across the room and into the opening.
“NO, oh no!” Pressed against the wall, wishing he could just disappear. His eyes darted around looking for anymore movement.
“Jade... What are you doing?” Jade screamed falling into a protective ball on the floor. Slowly he became aware of laughter. Peeking out from his hands he saw his wife. There was now a golden glow of light, her face was covered in shadow but he could still make out the familiar features that were lit with laughter. “Are you okay?” She asked gently laying a hand on his shoulder.
“Did you see it?” his voice croaked. “See what” “The opening, under the stairs. The hallway, the shadow disappeared into it” his voice urgent. She gave a thoughtful look.... “No I didn’t, but maybe one day... come on lets get back to bed.”
He followed her, curling up around her he went to sleep. She was right they would find out another night.

BingoBill
Private E-1

Postby BingoBill » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:25 am

“We should call someone.”
“Uh-hu.”
“No, really, we should call someone, like the police or…the media. There are TV shows about poop unicorns and rainbows like this.”
I nodded, and then sat down on the couch and stared at the wall where it had disappeared. This was not a normal event in the life of a middle aged school teacher and I was still digesting the experience.
Carol gave me a quick look as if to say ‘go ahead, space out for a while’ and then left to get more boxes from the car.
The house had a reputation; it was part of the allure as well as a welcome drop in the price. The market was hot and midsized homes were going for twenty or even thirty percent more than they had the year before.This was a jewel, a large four bedroom Victorian on a half acre, in town. Sure it needed work. We joked about spending the summer pealing the ancient wallpaper and learning how to fix the original plumbing, real copper. We were lucky to get approved.
But now this.
“Did you call someone?” she asked.
“No.”
I knew it was time to act, to get moving and act like a man. ‘I am man’ might be the right scene for this act, if I had written it for one of my creativity classes. I got up and started unloading again.
Act 2, the night comes a ‘nockin.
I was awake despite the throb and burn of well used muscles. The bedroom was a collage of boxes and furniture arranged in neat little paths. After unloading the van and eating a takeout dinner we collapsed into well earned slumber. Or at least Carol had. I was awake and still wondering about our problem.
Getting up I told myself I was going to get a Tylenol and maybe a drink of water but really I just wanted to go to the kitchen and look for our guest.
The stairs were cold and I made a mental note to call the furnace guy, didn’t want to wait until the fall and be caught short.
The kitchen was bare. Only the table stood where we had left it. We had stacked the boxes labeled ‘kitchen and stove’ in the hallway and left the scene of the crime just as we found it.
“Anyone here?” I whispered into the night, the aging Formica answered not. “Hello, ally, ally all is free,” I called out in the ancient tongue of childhood.
A dust mote danced on the wall and I waited, waited for a return. I waited all night and in the morning knew that the house was still lived in and I might not like it here.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges