Haunted House - 5/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
ANIB-SHO
Private E-1

RE: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby ANIB-SHO » Sun May 17, 2009 10:54 am

The summer heat was unbearable. My clothes stuck to my skin and the constant water breaks made it excruciatingly difficult for me to get anything done on the first night in my new house. "Thank God the air conditioning is supposed to be fixed tomorrow," I sighed, looking at my dog Harry.

Hopeless and exhausted, I retired to the bedroom, but not before moving every portable fan in the house to my bedside. I cracked the windows and laid down to go to sleep, a thin sheet being all that I could bear in the stuffy heat.

"If someone broke in right now, how would I react?" The question I ask myself almost every night as I fall asleep- partially due to an unhealthy obsession with watching crime-related television dramas. Nonetheless, this is the same question that plagues me each night, the same question that rarely ever results in an actual answer. Instead, I occupy the majority of my thoughts going over details like, "Well, it depends, are they here for my stuff, or are they here for me?" and "It depends, am I asleep when I hear them outside my bedroom or do I awake with them standing over me?" All of these and more are the important questions that lay the platform for how the rest of my story turns out. As for the paranormal, I hardly waste my time wrestling with those thoughts- there is no way to fight a ghost, a feeling, or an unexplained act if you've never encountered one before.

Mid-way through my nightly ritual, right as my eyes began to droop and my body began to give into the heat, my eyes shot open at the sound of an unfamiliar noise outside my bedroom window.
My head was instantly flooded with thoughts of every possibility of what it could be, both good and bad. I locked eyes with the bedroom window and tried to remain positive, writing it off as normal house noises I had yet to become accustomed to. Then I remembered what the bedroom blinds were hiding, a window that I had opened to let the night breeze cool the bedroom while I slept. After which, only scenes from horror movies and ghost stories played in my head.

I started cursing myself for having so many fans on- while usually I welcome the soothing roar of a fan as I go to sleep, tonight it made it nearly impossible to discern what the rough rumbling noise outside my window may be. “I can’t make it out” I kept telling my ears as I strained to try and distinguish it, to recognize the sound, “Oh, please let me recognize the sound.”

Then I heard the same noise coming from within the house. I immediately focused on the light coming through the crack under my bedroom door to the hallway. No creepy shadows stopping at my door, that was a good sign. I got up from my bed, trying to move as silently as possible. I moved toward the door, wishing my dog was taking the noises as seriously I was. As I touched my hand to the door knob, my heart stopped. I heard the noise coming from within my bedroom and as I turned around a cool chill went down my spine and I smiled. The air conditioning was finally working.

muchasfloras
Private E-1

Re: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby muchasfloras » Sun May 17, 2009 8:07 pm

"I'm pretty sure I had known all along. Makes me feel self-important, you know; that I could see what the others couldn't. That somehow, I was the one that was chosen. Not Liam. Not Kyle. But me. Who would’ve guessed? I mean honestly, who could’ve guessed that the biggest fu#@-up of all would turn out to be the chosen one."

"And what did you see? When did you really know?"

"I saw how it was supposed to be, you know…life. And I guess you could say it all started, well sh@#, I guess it was the first full night we were there. Liam and I were unpacking the boxes. Yeah, it was that night for sure. At first I thought it was me, you know, making sh#@ up, but the noises just wouldn't stop....first in one ear, then the other...and then, I swear to God, in both ears...kind of like in stereo, you know?"

"And what were the noises?"

"Oh, just scratching and stuff, nothing big. And then, it was like I saw something out of the corner of my eye, but when I looked there was nothing there. You know, real annoying stuff. The stuff that makes you think you’re crazy or something. But then, I heard them…whispering. At first, I couldn’t understand what it was they were saying, but then their voices became clear.”

“And what did they say?”

“Well, at first they told me that I wasn’t a fu#@-up. They told me that I was the only one they could trust. And I was like ‘Now I know I’m losing it’ because I mean what are the odds that in the whole godda#@ world, the one house we decide to buy is the house with ghosts who are on my side. I mean, seriously.”

“And then what happened?”

“Well, like I said before, it wasn’t supposed to happen the way it did, but they told me I was the only one that could help them. I mean, Liam was too busy anyway, what with his new job. And Kyle? Well, I’m not sure he’d have time to squeeze them in between all the women.”

“But surely things could have been worked out?”

“NO. That was the one thing they were sure of. Things would not be worked out without my help. They needed me. I was the chosen one. I would make the difference. Don’t you see?”

“And what about Liam? Kyle?”

“It’s sad really, but they were just going to stop me. They would’ve ruined everything. They told me those two would get in the way and sure enough, what did they do the first chance they got? They tried to have me ****@#! committed!”

“But murder?”

“Look, in every war there are casualties. I’m not happy about what I had to do, but what can I say? Unfortunately, Liam and Kyle happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think it’s called collateral damage.”

“There are no further questions, Your Honor.”

muchasfloras
Private E-1

Postby muchasfloras » Sun May 17, 2009 8:07 pm

"I'm pretty sure I had known all along. Makes me feel self-important, you know; that I could see what the others couldn't. That somehow, I was the one that was chosen. Not Liam. Not Kyle. But me. Who would’ve guessed? I mean honestly, who could’ve guessed that the biggest fu#@-up of all would turn out to be the chosen one."

"And what did you see? When did you really know?"

"I saw how it was supposed to be, you know…life. And I guess you could say it all started, well sh@#, I guess it was the first full night we were there. Liam and I were unpacking the boxes. Yeah, it was that night for sure. At first I thought it was me, you know, making sh#@ up, but the noises just wouldn't stop....first in one ear, then the other...and then, I swear to God, in both ears...kind of like in stereo, you know?"

"And what were the noises?"

"Oh, just scratching and stuff, nothing big. And then, it was like I saw something out of the corner of my eye, but when I looked there was nothing there. You know, real annoying stuff. The stuff that makes you think you’re crazy or something. But then, I heard them…whispering. At first, I couldn’t understand what it was they were saying, but then their voices became clear.”

“And what did they say?”

“Well, at first they told me that I wasn’t a fu#@-up. They told me that I was the only one they could trust. And I was like ‘Now I know I’m losing it’ because I mean what are the odds that in the whole godda#@ world, the one house we decide to buy is the house with ghosts who are on my side. I mean, seriously.”

“And then what happened?”

“Well, like I said before, it wasn’t supposed to happen the way it did, but they told me I was the only one that could help them. I mean, Liam was too busy anyway, what with his new job. And Kyle? Well, I’m not sure he’d have time to squeeze them in between all the women.”

“But surely things could have been worked out?”

“NO. That was the one thing they were sure of. Things would not be worked out without my help. They needed me. I was the chosen one. I would make the difference. Don’t you see?”

“And what about Liam? Kyle?”

“It’s sad really, but they were just going to stop me. They would’ve ruined everything. They told me those two would get in the way and sure enough, what did they do the first chance they got? They tried to have me ****@#! committed!”

“But murder?”

“Look, in every war there are casualties. I’m not happy about what I had to do, but what can I say? Unfortunately, Liam and Kyle happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think it’s called collateral damage.”

“There are no further questions, Your Honor.”

Mia Sisyphus
Private E-1

Postby Mia Sisyphus » Mon May 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Back to the suburbs, I smiled to myself. I’d grown up here and now that me and Jimmy were going to start a family, I wasn’t about to keep living in the city. Sure it would be a longer commute, but I didn’t care. Cities were dirty and dangerous and I hadn’t liked very much. It lost its appeal after a little while.
I had big plans, plans I’d been working on since high school. I’d waited through college and years in the city, but now that I was going on thirty, I could do what I wanted. We had some money stashed away and I knew what I wanted to do with it.
The house was the first thing we bought. It was a typical suburban house; a split-level ranch with a nice lawn and, my favorite, in the backyard there was a big tree that was pretty much perfect to hang a tire swing from. I’d had one when I was a kid, and so had my mother and her mother. I figured if I put one up for the little daughter I imagined, it could start to be a family tradition.
We moved our things in, our apartment’s furnishings not really filling up the house. It didn’t matter; we would fill up the space eventually. With kids and a dog, I hoped. Jimmy probably imagined building a man cave.
I was exhausted the first night, so I imagined I would sleep like a rock, but I hadn’t anticipated the thunderstorm that rolled in that night. Big cracks of thunder shook me awake and the wind screamed at the house, though my lug of a husband didn’t move. I stared out the window to watch the lightning flash across the sky and smiled at the big tree in our yard. I loved this house already.
I imagined the tire swing and the little girl I would had, and when a flash lit up the tree, I thought I saw the swing hanging from the tree. Puzzled but smiling, I got out of bed to look out the window. The next flash showed nothing, but in the darkness and thunder, I felt my heart squeeze with fear.
The last flash showed a noose.

coll
Private E-1

Postby coll » Tue May 19, 2009 10:26 am

I thought I heard her but when I looked down the stairs she was gone. I know she was there. As she slowly walked into the big blue room, the one with the old fireplace and the white rocking chair, I could see the tail end of her white linen nightgown trailing behind her. I could smell the smoke from her candle as her movements caused the flame to go out.
I quickly put Dorian into his crib and looked back over my shoulder to see if she had come out of her room and up the stairs yet. She hadn't.
One kiss for Dorian on his pale white forehead, he looks so sweet when he is sleeping. I turn around, half expecting her to be standing there but she isn't. I walk slowly, quietly trying not to let the wood floor boards crack and wake him up. When I get to the doorway I look down the stairs one more time. Maybe I will see the image of her in the mirror at the bottom entrance. Maybe her long red curly hair will be waving behind her as she once again sweeps from her room out into the hall. Nothing. I quickly move into my room, part of me praying I dont see her again, part of me desperately wanting to know she is real.
I tightly close the old wooden door and tuck myself into bed. Is she is still there? At the bottom of the stairs? Waiting for me? Waiting for Dorian? Why wont she come up here? This part of the house, this room I am in is a new addition to the original house. Is that why she wont come up? She never leaves the blue room or ventures past the bottom of the stairs. Why is it just her here? She came from a family of 15, Irish immigrants who moved over to New Zealand in the early 1900’s. Most of the family has either passed away or moved to other parts of the island. But she wont leave this house.
The Harrisons never told us when we bought this place that she was here. Didn’t they see her? Or is that why they sold?
I cant fall asleep. Not yet. Not until I know Dorian is asleep and I don’t have to go out of room, risking seeing her . When will she leave us alone?
I close my eyes, still picturing the back of her nightgown, still smelling the smoke from her candle.
I wonder how she died? Maybe the neighbors know.
I drift off to sleep.

coll
Private E-1

Postby coll » Tue May 19, 2009 10:26 am

I thought I heard her but when I looked down the stairs she was gone. I know she was there. As she slowly walked into the big blue room, the one with the old fireplace and the white rocking chair, I could see the tail end of her white linen nightgown trailing behind her. I could smell the smoke from her candle as her movements caused the flame to go out.
I quickly put Dorian into his crib and looked back over my shoulder to see if she had come out of her room and up the stairs yet. She hadn't.
One kiss for Dorian on his pale white forehead, he looks so sweet when he is sleeping. I turn around, half expecting her to be standing there but she isn't. I walk slowly, quietly trying not to let the wood floor boards crack and wake him up. When I get to the doorway I look down the stairs one more time. Maybe I will see the image of her in the mirror at the bottom entrance. Maybe her long red curly hair will be waving behind her as she once again sweeps from her room out into the hall. Nothing. I quickly move into my room, part of me praying I dont see her again, part of me desperately wanting to know she is real.
I tightly close the old wooden door and tuck myself into bed. Is she is still there? At the bottom of the stairs? Waiting for me? Waiting for Dorian? Why wont she come up here? This part of the house, this room I am in is a new addition to the original house. Is that why she wont come up? She never leaves the blue room or ventures past the bottom of the stairs. Why is it just her here? She came from a family of 15, Irish immigrants who moved over to New Zealand in the early 1900’s. Most of the family has either passed away or moved to other parts of the island. But she wont leave this house.
The Harrisons never told us when we bought this place that she was here. Didn’t they see her? Or is that why they sold?
I cant fall asleep. Not yet. Not until I know Dorian is asleep and I don’t have to go out of room, risking seeing her . When will she leave us alone?
I close my eyes, still picturing the back of her nightgown, still smelling the smoke from her candle.
I wonder how she died? Maybe the neighbors know.
I drift off to sleep.

coll
Private E-1

Postby coll » Tue May 19, 2009 10:55 am

n

coll
Private E-1

Postby coll » Tue May 19, 2009 10:55 am

n

ironvic
Private E-2

Postby ironvic » Fri May 22, 2009 2:57 pm

The old house was haunted alright. There, on the wall, scratches kitty made whenever she was happy after a restful nap in the sunlight. A monstrous looking doll in the corner bedroom. The stuffing hugged out of her. Ghosts of a family's laughter still hanging in the air.

Scars denting the wall, right behind the bed board. What fun mom and dad had in this house.

theauthoressghost
Private E-1

Postby theauthoressghost » Tue May 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Maybe I’ve read one too many gothic novels. I didn’t think much of them at first. I knew they were just stories, so when I bought the 1800s Victorian, I didn’t believe the ghost stories surrounding it.
I’d seen the mansion. It was nice, the old statues and antique furniture was a bit creepy, and I wasn’t too crazy about how my bedroom’s lock was broken, but I made plans to explore it that night.
At eleven o’clock, all was dark. It wasn’t storming, but I could hear the branches scraping against my window. I reached for a flashlight, but the one I’d put on my nightstand was gone, replaced by a candlestick. I reached for my bedroom light, but there was no switch! So I struck a match and lit the candle, carrying it with me as I snooped in and out of the rooms.
They were dusty, and much of the furniture was covered in sheets. The floors creaked whenever I walked on them. I wouldn’t have minded, but my nerves were shocked when a shutter flew open in my face! I laughed, thinking I was just being silly, but my heart pounded vigorously.
I turned around, half-expecting to see a transparent face, but instead, my attention was drawn to the portrait on the wall. Her pretty brown hair was pulled up away from her smooth white skin, and her black eyes stared longingly into the distance. Her clothes were elegant, ruffled and pastel blue, and I read the name on the plate, “Baroness Lucia Debray.”
I tried to forget that. I’d heard the story of how Baron Debray and his wife were murdered by a hideous creature with yellow skin and sunken features and bloody fangs for teeth. I’d heard about its bony body and razor claws, and how it disguised itself using the fine clothing of noblemen, and I’d heard about its magical powers to draw its victims in before it sucked the life out of them with its flaming green eyes.
By the time I got to the parlor, I was shaking. I looked to the mantle, expecting another portrait of Lucia Debray. Instead, I saw a fine mirror, with silver borders. It was dusty, except for a small section of the bottom. I squinted to read it. My candle cast a faint light on the words:
Christen Becker, leave this place.
My heart caught in my throat. I am Christen Becker! Behind me, I heard a distant sound of a piano, playing the notes to Con onor Muore, but when I looked, no one was there.
I gasped, and the music stopped immediately. As I fled from the room, I heard a second set of footsteps behind me. I rushed into the room that held the Baroness’s portrait, locking the door behind me. There was a moan; horrible feminine screams pierced the night. Then, a burst of wind doused all the lights, and I found myself staring into a fearsome pair of green eyes

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges