Haunted House - 5/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
boredtotears
Private E-1

Re: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby boredtotears » Wed May 13, 2009 3:49 pm

The rusty keys jingled softly as the old lock gave way letting the door sweep open. They both giggled with delight. They had wanted this house for so long that they couldn't remember a time that they hadn't been making plans for it. They had every detail already worked out in a scrap book.

Justin couldn't wait to get his hands on the woodwork, windows and fireplaces. He wanted to restore them back to their original beauty. He knew that Alice wanted it for entirely different reasons. That was okay they would be happy here. They would grow as a couple and then as a family in this house. There had been other families that were happy here to include Alice's best friend Ava's family.

Alice practically grew up in this house. Justin loved it too. This was going to be wonderful! They had so many plans and ideas. Ava lived here and the two girls had so many memories in this house. Ava's parents practically raised Alice. They had included her in everything- holidays, birthdays, summer vacations.

The couple walked in and the memories flooded Alice. This is where they did their homework, this is where the piano stood, this is where they stood for so many pictures. Justin was so gracious in listening about all the old times. They ate a picnic dinner on the floor of their new dining room while looking at the scrap book of ideas and talking about where to get started.

A romantic but rather uncomfortable night on the floor with an airmattress and candles but no heat didn't seem to spoil the couples enjoyment. It wasn't until after their intimate celebration that Alice and Justin talked of the one dark spot on the house. Ava's death. They were never sure if Ava had been experimenting with a method of sexual arousal or if she had intentionally hurt herself. It had changed everything for her and Ava's family. The inuendos that Ava was a "bad girl" resulting in her death had been difficult for her family. After much counseling, Ava had resolved to live with the happier memories in her heart and not think about sadness.

Just before dawn something woke Alice. She left her husband's side and went wondering through the empty house. It wasn't long before she was at Ava's bedroom door. It still had tape marks on it from all the posters the girls had hung there against her parental advice. Alice shook her head and smiled, saying "Someday, someone will have to clean up that sticky tape....." That is okay... just wait until you see what I do with this space.

Alice opened the door and froze in fear. She screamed and fainted.

Several months later: Justin handed over the scrap book and rusty keys to the new owners. "The memories were just too much for my wife. She missed her friend too much. Good luck. Enjoy."

No one else ever saw the rope but Alice knew she would never be able to live in that house.

Thieznuts
Private E-1

Postby Thieznuts » Wed May 13, 2009 11:31 pm

"This feels different than most starts to a day," I thought to myself. Something isn't right. For the last few years all I can remeber every morning is opening my eyes to my widower father struggling to arouse me from my teenage boy coma so I could start my morning chores. Every morning in Montana is different , and this morning was no exception.
"Hey Jake," I whispered to my younger brother lying in the bed across the shared room. "You awake?"
"Yes."
"Why the f@#$ are we still in bed?" I suspiciously questioned
"I don't know, but I like it." was the groggy reply.
This morning I was forced awake by the sunlight pushing it's way through our dark curtains and forcing itself onto my face until I was conscience. This isn't routine. My father is black and white when it comes to order and values but always struggled with the grey areas.
"How did you sleep?" I asked trying to reasure myself the noises I heard were just a dream.
"Not grat." was the response.
"Good, not just me", I thought to myself. "Why not?" I questioned.
"Just one of those nights, know what I mean?" He asked looking for reassurance. Unfortunately I did. Mom died when I was ten, I didn't sleep for what felt like a year.
"Your just hearing things in the dark," I told him reassuringly. "I'm gonna go take a leak I'll let you know whats up in a minute."
As I passed through the den and walked toward the bathroom of our log house, something didn't seem right. The uncommon crimson color on the genuine oak floors stood out first.
"What the F%^k!? " I thought to myself walking toward the puddle of unknown liquid. "What's all this nasty stuff on the floor?" I thought to myself. And that's when I noticed him. My father's limp, lifeless body dangling twenty feet off the ground. His own entrails hanging him from a rafter. I could'nt process all of what i was seeing before the vomit started errupting from me.
"Who could do this?" I thought. "Or What could do this?'"
That's when I saw the shadow stealthily creep across the wooden floor behind me.

Thieznuts
Private E-1

Postby Thieznuts » Wed May 13, 2009 11:31 pm

"This feels different than most starts to a day," I thought to myself. Something isn't right. For the last few years all I can remeber every morning is opening my eyes to my widower father struggling to arouse me from my teenage boy coma so I could start my morning chores. Every morning in Montana is different , and this morning was no exception.
"Hey Jake," I whispered to my younger brother lying in the bed across the shared room. "You awake?"
"Yes."
"Why the f@#$ are we still in bed?" I suspiciously questioned
"I don't know, but I like it." was the groggy reply.
This morning I was forced awake by the sunlight pushing it's way through our dark curtains and forcing itself onto my face until I was conscience. This isn't routine. My father is black and white when it comes to order and values but always struggled with the grey areas.
"How did you sleep?" I asked trying to reasure myself the noises I heard were just a dream.
"Not grat." was the response.
"Good, not just me", I thought to myself. "Why not?" I questioned.
"Just one of those nights, know what I mean?" He asked looking for reassurance. Unfortunately I did. Mom died when I was ten, I didn't sleep for what felt like a year.
"Your just hearing things in the dark," I told him reassuringly. "I'm gonna go take a leak I'll let you know whats up in a minute."
As I passed through the den and walked toward the bathroom of our log house, something didn't seem right. The uncommon crimson color on the genuine oak floors stood out first.
"What the F%^k!? " I thought to myself walking toward the puddle of unknown liquid. "What's all this nasty stuff on the floor?" I thought to myself. And that's when I noticed him. My father's limp, lifeless body dangling twenty feet off the ground. His own entrails hanging him from a rafter. I could'nt process all of what i was seeing before the vomit started errupting from me.
"Who could do this?" I thought. "Or What could do this?'"
That's when I saw the shadow stealthily creep across the wooden floor behind me.

Thieznuts
Private E-1

Postby Thieznuts » Thu May 14, 2009 2:44 am

WEIRD!! I just posted a story and I promise I didn't rip off the widow/widower thing from any of the others. Just got done reading them and I noticed the common single parent or not married theme. just thought it was strange. I guess scary things are alway scarier when one is alone.

Thieznuts
Private E-1

Postby Thieznuts » Thu May 14, 2009 2:44 am

WEIRD!! I just posted a story and I promise I didn't rip off the widow/widower thing from any of the others. Just got done reading them and I noticed the common single parent or not married theme. just thought it was strange. I guess scary things are alway scarier when one is alone.

Aprilheart
Private E-1

RE: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby Aprilheart » Thu May 14, 2009 10:49 am

As an Army wife, back in the good years before my marriage to my childhood sweetheart broke up, I had learned well how to be alone. Now all my skills at making a home were on trial.

I had found a small farmhouse on the top of a hill in a rural area of North Carolina, surrounded by a hardwood forest. A creek ran through the property and there was a
little bridge over the creek. The long curving driveway passed over the bridge, up the hill and ended right in front of my house.

It was my first night in the house. Boxes were scattered throughout the small rooms, some opened and some not. It would take some hard work to find a place for everything. As the spouse of a military man, I had learned that when you move to a new dwelling, you always make the bed first, because you’re going to find moving day very tiring. I was cuddled up with my favorite pillow and half-asleep when the knocking began.

At first, I ignored it. Maybe I had dreamed it. Surely no one would come knocking on someone’s door in the middle of the night. I lay half-awake, listening. Sleepily I tried
to recall who had lived in the house before me. Had that person died in this house? I had neglected to ask the real estate agent, and it seemed a silly question anyway. I was much too practical to believe in ghosts.

The knock sounded again. This time I was sure it had come from within the house. I rolled over onto my back so that I could hear with both ears and lay tensely listening.

No one had mentioned to me that this house might be haunted, and I didn’t believe in any sort of afterlife. I thought nothing could ever change my mind. Then I heard a voice—or it might have been the wind in the giant oak outside the window. It sounded as if a woman was saying, yes, all right. The knocking came one last time, but softly and more distant. Maybe the house was settling. Maybe a door was responding to the air currents.

But the voice I had heard---it was the voice of a woman speaking as though through pain. Or was I dreaming it? Was it my own voice in my head? Was it a repetition of my last words to Michael when he asked for the divorce? For the first time since I left him, I actually felt tears streaming down my face. If there was a ghost in this house, it was me—the ghost of a woman whose husband had left her. The wind blew again through the oak tree—a quiet, lonely sound. And so my life in the little house in the woods had begun, and nothing would ever be the same again.

Aprilheart
Private E-1

Postby Aprilheart » Thu May 14, 2009 10:49 am

As an Army wife, back in the good years before my marriage to my childhood sweetheart broke up, I had learned well how to be alone. Now all my skills at making a home were on trial.

I had found a small farmhouse on the top of a hill in a rural area of North Carolina, surrounded by a hardwood forest. A creek ran through the property and there was a
little bridge over the creek. The long curving driveway passed over the bridge, up the hill and ended right in front of my house.

It was my first night in the house. Boxes were scattered throughout the small rooms, some opened and some not. It would take some hard work to find a place for everything. As the spouse of a military man, I had learned that when you move to a new dwelling, you always make the bed first, because you’re going to find moving day very tiring. I was cuddled up with my favorite pillow and half-asleep when the knocking began.

At first, I ignored it. Maybe I had dreamed it. Surely no one would come knocking on someone’s door in the middle of the night. I lay half-awake, listening. Sleepily I tried
to recall who had lived in the house before me. Had that person died in this house? I had neglected to ask the real estate agent, and it seemed a silly question anyway. I was much too practical to believe in ghosts.

The knock sounded again. This time I was sure it had come from within the house. I rolled over onto my back so that I could hear with both ears and lay tensely listening.

No one had mentioned to me that this house might be haunted, and I didn’t believe in any sort of afterlife. I thought nothing could ever change my mind. Then I heard a voice—or it might have been the wind in the giant oak outside the window. It sounded as if a woman was saying, yes, all right. The knocking came one last time, but softly and more distant. Maybe the house was settling. Maybe a door was responding to the air currents.

But the voice I had heard---it was the voice of a woman speaking as though through pain. Or was I dreaming it? Was it my own voice in my head? Was it a repetition of my last words to Michael when he asked for the divorce? For the first time since I left him, I actually felt tears streaming down my face. If there was a ghost in this house, it was me—the ghost of a woman whose husband had left her. The wind blew again through the oak tree—a quiet, lonely sound. And so my life in the little house in the woods had begun, and nothing would ever be the same again.

blackwidow63
Private E-1

Postby blackwidow63 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:22 am

:) It was a a warm summer night, there was a full moon, and all I could do was wait for my baby to finish his shower. We just returned from our ten day honeymoon, and moved into our three bedroom home. It was an older home, but what the heck. As much love as we felt for each other, nothing clouded my vision. My husband had plenty of ideas of how we would spruce up the place. The Realtor told us we were getting a real bargain on this house. The original woodwork was in excellent condition. The rooms were large, spacious, and everything we'd dreamed of.
Our first few days in our house made me realize my life was exactly the way I wanted. I have a man who loves me. I have a good job, and feel like a movie star in my own home. "Ohh, what was that?" There was a sudden gust of foul odor that invaded the room. I didn't see anything, but something wasn't right. I froze in one spot afraid to move.
"Eric! Come here." He ran into the room with a look of fear on his face.
" Honey what's wrong?" Before I could answer, doors slammed, dishes fell from the shelves, and the horrible odor had returned. "Oh my goodness, what is that smell?"
"That's why I called you. We need to have a look around. "
"Do you think a skunk got in the house?"
"It doesn't smell like a skunk. You stay here."
"No, you're not leaving me here." I followed close on his heels. Suddenly, there was a big hairy monster in the doorway who looked like bigfoot. It disappeared as quickly as it appeared.
"You know honey, I see why we got such a bargain on this house."
"So do I. Grab your bag. We're going and have a talk with the man that sold us this house.

blackwidow63
Private E-1

Postby blackwidow63 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:22 am

:) It was a a warm summer night, there was a full moon, and all I could do was wait for my baby to finish his shower. We just returned from our ten day honeymoon, and moved into our three bedroom home. It was an older home, but what the heck. As much love as we felt for each other, nothing clouded my vision. My husband had plenty of ideas of how we would spruce up the place. The Realtor told us we were getting a real bargain on this house. The original woodwork was in excellent condition. The rooms were large, spacious, and everything we'd dreamed of.
Our first few days in our house made me realize my life was exactly the way I wanted. I have a man who loves me. I have a good job, and feel like a movie star in my own home. "Ohh, what was that?" There was a sudden gust of foul odor that invaded the room. I didn't see anything, but something wasn't right. I froze in one spot afraid to move.
"Eric! Come here." He ran into the room with a look of fear on his face.
" Honey what's wrong?" Before I could answer, doors slammed, dishes fell from the shelves, and the horrible odor had returned. "Oh my goodness, what is that smell?"
"That's why I called you. We need to have a look around. "
"Do you think a skunk got in the house?"
"It doesn't smell like a skunk. You stay here."
"No, you're not leaving me here." I followed close on his heels. Suddenly, there was a big hairy monster in the doorway who looked like bigfoot. It disappeared as quickly as it appeared.
"You know honey, I see why we got such a bargain on this house."
"So do I. Grab your bag. We're going and have a talk with the man that sold us this house.

CJB
Private E-1

Postby CJB » Sun May 17, 2009 6:57 am

"Thomas, you just don't get it, do you? Kelly demanded.
"When will your parents ever understand that we are grown and can make our own decisions?" She eyed him, waiting for an answer.
Thomas pulled the car to the shoulder, took a deep breath and turned to face his bride of just seven days. "Kelly, we've already talked about this, the house has been in my family for generations, and my parents think they are doing a great thing, can't you just accept it for what it is?" He pleaded.
"Why couldn't they have asked us what we want, I don't like that house Thomas, it scares me, it's so old." She said, trying to remain calm.
"Listen, let's just give it a month, if you still feel the same after that, I promise we'll move. What do you say, can we do that, just a month." He said leaning closer, lifting her chin, so their eyes would meet.
"You promise, just a month?" She said as she searched his eyes for reassurance.
"Yes, but you really have to give it a chance, ok? He said, kissing the tip of her nose.
The trip continued in silence, Kelly thinking about the one time she had visited the house that would now be her home. She had been so happy when Thomas had taken her to meet his now deceased Grandmother Sage, after hearing the wonderful family stories, something Kelly herself had never experienced, she was eager to get to know this side of her future husband. Her happiness had been cut short as soon as she saw the old house, with the dormers sitting like two sightless eyes on the roof line, large gaping front door, and white pickets across the porch. To Kelly it appeared to have a sinister grin. Ridiculous as it sounds, she could not shake the jitters.
Their day had gone off without a hitch and Kelly had chastised herself for having such a grime first impression of the old home place. After hugs and kisses before their departure, Kelly excused herself for a last minute run to the restroom. Quickly finishing up, she turned from the mirror to dry her hands when she felt arms reach around her, lightly squeezing her waist. Kelly froze, breath coming in rapid jerks, she twisted away trying to free herself, the arms locked tighter. The door knob only inches from her outstretched hand she fought the unseen being. “Kelly” Thomas’s voice called from the hall. “Are you in there?” Kelly felt the embrace leave as quickly as it came. She managed to respond to Thomas, “I’ll be right out, wait for me, OK?” She replied, trying desperately to conceal her short breathes. She looked wide eyed around the small powder room, she was alone. She never told a soul.
Their car pulled in just short of the stoop. Thomas eager to get out, left Kelly setting motionless, starring once again into that frightening smile, that only she could see.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges