Haunted House - 5/12

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
ThoughtfulPen
Private E-1

Re: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby ThoughtfulPen » Tue May 12, 2009 7:17 pm

The cheery little two-story house on Burming Dr was Cleo's dream. She had worked hard over the past few months in gathering the last of her down payment and she was grateful that in that time no one had jumped on the chance to purchase the house. She packed up the last boxes from her apartment and had handed over the keys to the landlord earlier that evening with a pleased smile playing at the corners of her mouth. Now she sat amongst the piles of books that fought for prime shelf space on the one bookshelf she owned. She was weeding out the mass of literature in piles to keep and to donate when the light overhead began to flicker. After a few irritating moments of this she rose from her spot on the floor to investigated. She flipped the light switch to off and allowed the bulb to cool down. As she reached up to twist the light tightly into it's socket, a dim light flashed from the adjoining room. Cleo cursed and jumped down from the chair she was standing on. Her bare feet meet the chill of the tile in the kitchen.
“I need you,” came a whisper at her ear, a breath that tickled the nape of her neck.
Cleo flinched and jerked away from the hushed words. When she moved a stack of pans toppled to the floor with a dull clack that rattled her nerves and sent her heart racing.
She looked wildly about the room, hoping that what she had heard had been only in her head.
“Don’t forget me, Jane,” came the voice, this time louder and distinctly male. Her eyes flew over to the entry of the pantry where there stood a man. Brown hair curled around the collar of his white lawn shirt, breeches and leather boots completed the 1800’s ensemble of his appearance. She note his odd appearance before looking into his eyes. Green, apple green, and Cleo found herself frozen in place as she simply stared at the stranger standing before her.
He held out his hand to her, almost hesitantly. That sparked Cleo to action. Her hand grasped the handle of the one pot left sitting on the table. She lifted it, moving forward and swung as hard as she could at the intruder before he could touch her.
Her weapon sliced right through the form of the man, passing through him without harm. She stumbled forward from the force of her attack but found herself, instead, in the arms of the man. “How did you do that?” she breathed.
“I’m afraid you’ll forget, but you mustn’t forget, dear Jane.”
She allowed her trembling body to collapse against his strong chest. She felt her head start to ache and her vision began to blur as a gripping blackness took hold of her. She heard his words one last time, a saddened plea, as the cloud overtook her and sent her spiraling down into oblivion.

~Lindsey
Visit me at http://thewritewords-lindsey.blogspot.com/

boredtotears
Private E-1

Postby boredtotears » Wed May 13, 2009 7:41 am

Why oh why had I had that third glass of wine? I really know better after all these years. A fresh start. Crap! Yeah, just like old times... what is that sound.... a creak.. a voice.... must just be the neighbors. Yeah, some fresh start.... expensive Italian food and not one, not two... but three glass of smooth red wine. Is that singing?

Bumping into boxes as I leaned over to look out the window.... okay that hangover is starting way too early. That is singing. Ever so quiet. And the creaking.... like that of ... of what is that.... a rocking chair. I don't own a rocking chair. Walking around the lower floor of the old house I was thankful that I didn't have curtains up... just half open blinds.. or I would have fallen over the boxes for sure. The downstairs was clear. The singing was so sweet like a mother to a child. This house was about 100 years old but I hadn't had a chance to read about the history. It hadn't mattered at the time of purchase. I just wanted a small place that I could afford. Something easy to keep clean and decorate in my style over time. A fresh start.. no history.

The summer heat was building and the stairwell was hot and muggy as I started for the small second floor. The rocking was steady and the singing just barely audible.. surely it was from the neighbors house. The lights were out in the house on this side of the house. But I suppose people with insomina could rock and sing in the dark. Ouch! Weren't they suppose to put everything IN the rooms?

And that is when I opened the door to the first bedroom and a cold draft met my startled frame. There ever so translucent in the shadows of the room was a century old Mother rocking her child and singing ever so softly......

boredtotears
Private E-1

Postby boredtotears » Wed May 13, 2009 7:41 am

Why oh why had I had that third glass of wine? I really know better after all these years. A fresh start. Crap! Yeah, just like old times... what is that sound.... a creak.. a voice.... must just be the neighbors. Yeah, some fresh start.... expensive Italian food and not one, not two... but three glass of smooth red wine. Is that singing?

Bumping into boxes as I leaned over to look out the window.... okay that hangover is starting way too early. That is singing. Ever so quiet. And the creaking.... like that of ... of what is that.... a rocking chair. I don't own a rocking chair. Walking around the lower floor of the old house I was thankful that I didn't have curtains up... just half open blinds.. or I would have fallen over the boxes for sure. The downstairs was clear. The singing was so sweet like a mother to a child. This house was about 100 years old but I hadn't had a chance to read about the history. It hadn't mattered at the time of purchase. I just wanted a small place that I could afford. Something easy to keep clean and decorate in my style over time. A fresh start.. no history.

The summer heat was building and the stairwell was hot and muggy as I started for the small second floor. The rocking was steady and the singing just barely audible.. surely it was from the neighbors house. The lights were out in the house on this side of the house. But I suppose people with insomina could rock and sing in the dark. Ouch! Weren't they suppose to put everything IN the rooms?

And that is when I opened the door to the first bedroom and a cold draft met my startled frame. There ever so translucent in the shadows of the room was a century old Mother rocking her child and singing ever so softly......

funnygirl
Private E-1

RE: Haunted House - 5/12

Postby funnygirl » Wed May 13, 2009 10:59 am

I had driven by this house hundreds of times during the last five years; after all, I passed it each day on my way to work. Something about this place intrigued me. It wasn't that it looked any different than any other older two-story home with white sided walls, black roof, black trim and a big yard with a lot of trees. I was in the position, financially, to buy my first house; and if this one came onto the market I wanted to check it out!

I didn't have to wait very long. As the secretary in a local Real Estate office I wanted to be the first person to see the property when my friend Jared got the listing. And, I did just that. The house was listed and sold within the span of two days. I looked. I liked. I bought the house.

The first night was spent with me sleeping on the floor in my sleeping bag. I decided that I would move most of my things in during the following weekend. Just as I began drifting off to sleep I could hear a faint sound; a little like someone humming a tune. I thought it must have been my imagination as I closed my eyes and sleepiness took over.

I was abruptly awakened at three o'clock in the morning by more humming and the sweet scent of lilacs. How strange this seemed. There was no television, no radio, no one else in my house, and no neighbors close by.

This time I ventured into the living room and there, before my eyes, stood what appeared to be a young man and woman dressed in period clothing that dated to the early twentieth century. That was when this house was built. I thought that I was either sleep walking in the middle of a dream or losing my mind. I pinched myself and it hurt ..... not sleep walking. The couple vanished into thin air as I walked closer. I never believed that a house could be haunted; but as I stood here in this empty room filled with the scent of lilac, I wasn't so sure.

funnygirl
Private E-1

Postby funnygirl » Wed May 13, 2009 10:59 am

I had driven by this house hundreds of times during the last five years; after all, I passed it each day on my way to work. Something about this place intrigued me. It wasn't that it looked any different than any other older two-story home with white sided walls, black roof, black trim and a big yard with a lot of trees. I was in the position, financially, to buy my first house; and if this one came onto the market I wanted to check it out!

I didn't have to wait very long. As the secretary in a local Real Estate office I wanted to be the first person to see the property when my friend Jared got the listing. And, I did just that. The house was listed and sold within the span of two days. I looked. I liked. I bought the house.

The first night was spent with me sleeping on the floor in my sleeping bag. I decided that I would move most of my things in during the following weekend. Just as I began drifting off to sleep I could hear a faint sound; a little like someone humming a tune. I thought it must have been my imagination as I closed my eyes and sleepiness took over.

I was abruptly awakened at three o'clock in the morning by more humming and the sweet scent of lilacs. How strange this seemed. There was no television, no radio, no one else in my house, and no neighbors close by.

This time I ventured into the living room and there, before my eyes, stood what appeared to be a young man and woman dressed in period clothing that dated to the early twentieth century. That was when this house was built. I thought that I was either sleep walking in the middle of a dream or losing my mind. I pinched myself and it hurt ..... not sleep walking. The couple vanished into thin air as I walked closer. I never believed that a house could be haunted; but as I stood here in this empty room filled with the scent of lilac, I wasn't so sure.

animal
Private E-1

Postby animal » Wed May 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Haunted House

I spent several months looking for the perfect house for me. My husband had passed away and I wanted to make a new start, away from all the memories that made me happy and also sad. I loved my husband very much, but five years had come and gone and it was time for a change. I had all the photos of our life in my mind and also in far too many albums.

Moving in was difficult, but fun. My daughter and son-in-law helped me, and we all delighted that I was only a half hour away.

I finally settled in with my two male furry kids – Figaro, who was black & white, and Stuart who was a light red tabby. They had a nice big porch to play on, and big windows in the house where they could look out at all the birds and wildlife.

I don’t remember when my senses told me that something was amiss. Might we have poltergeists living with us?

The cats were the first to observe things I didn’t see. Figaro would suddenly hiss at something by his side, or Stuart who was calm by nature would almost stand on his hind feet and smack at something near him. One day, when Figaro was looking out my bedroom window from the back of a chair he had claimed as his own. I went over to pet him and he didn’t move. He was looking out the window at the bird feeder. When I peered over his body, I thought I saw an image of a cat attack a bird, but then the image was gone, but the bird fell to the ground. I ran outside, but neither image or bird was there.

Things were also moved in the house. I would put items on the shelf one way, and the next time I looked, they were completely changed. I would wash dishes and let them dry in the sink, and when I went back to put them up – someone had already done this deed.

Sometimes when I went to bed and was almost asleep, I could hear children laughing and running through the house. When I went to investigate, no one was there. Didn’t seem to bother my two little boys. They remained asleep on the bed.

I liked to have a beer and watch the news before dinner each night, but learned to drink my beer on the porch. Every time I sat on the sofa to take a sip, I would feel a strong breeze and hear the word “Nooo” so softly it was hardly audible.

Someone didn’t like my taste in clothes at times, because when I took a shower, and looked around for the outfit I had picked out to wear– it was gone – back hanging in the closet.

The three of us became used to living with the unseen and life went on – even if life was different. Whoever lived with us, was happy we were there – and at least we were never lonely – even though I got some strange looks from my daughter.

Marlene Barth

animal
Private E-1

Postby animal » Wed May 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Haunted House

I spent several months looking for the perfect house for me. My husband had passed away and I wanted to make a new start, away from all the memories that made me happy and also sad. I loved my husband very much, but five years had come and gone and it was time for a change. I had all the photos of our life in my mind and also in far too many albums.

Moving in was difficult, but fun. My daughter and son-in-law helped me, and we all delighted that I was only a half hour away.

I finally settled in with my two male furry kids – Figaro, who was black & white, and Stuart who was a light red tabby. They had a nice big porch to play on, and big windows in the house where they could look out at all the birds and wildlife.

I don’t remember when my senses told me that something was amiss. Might we have poltergeists living with us?

The cats were the first to observe things I didn’t see. Figaro would suddenly hiss at something by his side, or Stuart who was calm by nature would almost stand on his hind feet and smack at something near him. One day, when Figaro was looking out my bedroom window from the back of a chair he had claimed as his own. I went over to pet him and he didn’t move. He was looking out the window at the bird feeder. When I peered over his body, I thought I saw an image of a cat attack a bird, but then the image was gone, but the bird fell to the ground. I ran outside, but neither image or bird was there.

Things were also moved in the house. I would put items on the shelf one way, and the next time I looked, they were completely changed. I would wash dishes and let them dry in the sink, and when I went back to put them up – someone had already done this deed.

Sometimes when I went to bed and was almost asleep, I could hear children laughing and running through the house. When I went to investigate, no one was there. Didn’t seem to bother my two little boys. They remained asleep on the bed.

I liked to have a beer and watch the news before dinner each night, but learned to drink my beer on the porch. Every time I sat on the sofa to take a sip, I would feel a strong breeze and hear the word “Nooo” so softly it was hardly audible.

Someone didn’t like my taste in clothes at times, because when I took a shower, and looked around for the outfit I had picked out to wear– it was gone – back hanging in the closet.

The three of us became used to living with the unseen and life went on – even if life was different. Whoever lived with us, was happy we were there – and at least we were never lonely – even though I got some strange looks from my daughter.

Marlene Barth

ancientgramma
Private E-1

Postby ancientgramma » Wed May 13, 2009 1:03 pm

The meds were wearing off, but the pain was still very real. Nikki dropped her bag just within the doorway, hesitant to take another step. She took a long, slow look around her at what would be her home from now on. Alone. The accident took the only man she ever loved and trusted out of her life. Why she was left behind, Nikki didn't know, and she sure as hell didn't care.

Jeff had loved this house. That's why they bought it. "It'll be a great project for us," he had told her, all enthusiasm." As an architect and builder he planned to renovate the Victorian house. "You'll see. Wait until you get started with the interior." Wrapping an arm around his wife, Jeff nuzzled her neck and said, "I know you'll be as excited as I am right now. It'll be great," he had said, trying to convince Nikki. But it wasn't great. It was hideous.

Grabbing her bag, she slammed the door shut, shattering the cracked, stained glass it held. "Damn," she thought. "That's all I need. There's probably hundreds of bats lurking around just waiting for an idiot like me to give them a way in." But bats were the least of her worries.

Nikki wandered through the house dragging a finger over dusty counters, inspecting broken cabinets, and trying out rusty water pipes. At least the fireplace seemed in good shape. Maybe a fire would brighten the house and her spirits.

After an hour of wandering the property for wood suitable to burn, Nikki built a fire, adjusted the damper, and threw her old sleeping bag on the floor. The bag that use to zip together with Jeff's. She clenched her fist and shoved it into her gut, doubled over and wailed. The emotional pain was cut short by the sharp pain from her broken ribs. Gingerly she sunk to the old, oak planks and crawled into her bag, popping another pill. Then another.

Sniffing near her ear. Short, quick breaths. Nikki turned her head slowly to find herself looking into liquid brown eyes completely surrounded by long, thick, black hair. "Hey boy," she said softly. "Did you come to keep me company?" The dog lowered himself to the floor and let his muzzle rest on Nikki's shoulder where he stayed until dawn's light.

When Nikki woke she gathered the sleeping bag from the floor. Stopping, she stood still. A scent rose on the cool morning air; warm and earthy. "Jeff?"

ancientgramma
Private E-1

Postby ancientgramma » Wed May 13, 2009 1:03 pm

The meds were wearing off, but the pain was still very real. Nikki dropped her bag just within the doorway, hesitant to take another step. She took a long, slow look around her at what would be her home from now on. Alone. The accident took the only man she ever loved and trusted out of her life. Why she was left behind, Nikki didn't know, and she sure as hell didn't care.

Jeff had loved this house. That's why they bought it. "It'll be a great project for us," he had told her, all enthusiasm." As an architect and builder he planned to renovate the Victorian house. "You'll see. Wait until you get started with the interior." Wrapping an arm around his wife, Jeff nuzzled her neck and said, "I know you'll be as excited as I am right now. It'll be great," he had said, trying to convince Nikki. But it wasn't great. It was hideous.

Grabbing her bag, she slammed the door shut, shattering the cracked, stained glass it held. "Damn," she thought. "That's all I need. There's probably hundreds of bats lurking around just waiting for an idiot like me to give them a way in." But bats were the least of her worries.

Nikki wandered through the house dragging a finger over dusty counters, inspecting broken cabinets, and trying out rusty water pipes. At least the fireplace seemed in good shape. Maybe a fire would brighten the house and her spirits.

After an hour of wandering the property for wood suitable to burn, Nikki built a fire, adjusted the damper, and threw her old sleeping bag on the floor. The bag that use to zip together with Jeff's. She clenched her fist and shoved it into her gut, doubled over and wailed. The emotional pain was cut short by the sharp pain from her broken ribs. Gingerly she sunk to the old, oak planks and crawled into her bag, popping another pill. Then another.

Sniffing near her ear. Short, quick breaths. Nikki turned her head slowly to find herself looking into liquid brown eyes completely surrounded by long, thick, black hair. "Hey boy," she said softly. "Did you come to keep me company?" The dog lowered himself to the floor and let his muzzle rest on Nikki's shoulder where he stayed until dawn's light.

When Nikki woke she gathered the sleeping bag from the floor. Stopping, she stood still. A scent rose on the cool morning air; warm and earthy. "Jeff?"

boredtotears
Private E-1

Postby boredtotears » Wed May 13, 2009 3:49 pm

The rusty keys jingled softly as the old lock gave way letting the door sweep open. They both giggled with delight. They had wanted this house for so long that they couldn't remember a time that they hadn't been making plans for it. They had every detail already worked out in a scrap book.

Justin couldn't wait to get his hands on the woodwork, windows and fireplaces. He wanted to restore them back to their original beauty. He knew that Alice wanted it for entirely different reasons. That was okay they would be happy here. They would grow as a couple and then as a family in this house. There had been other families that were happy here to include Alice's best friend Ava's family.

Alice practically grew up in this house. Justin loved it too. This was going to be wonderful! They had so many plans and ideas. Ava lived here and the two girls had so many memories in this house. Ava's parents practically raised Alice. They had included her in everything- holidays, birthdays, summer vacations.

The couple walked in and the memories flooded Alice. This is where they did their homework, this is where the piano stood, this is where they stood for so many pictures. Justin was so gracious in listening about all the old times. They ate a picnic dinner on the floor of their new dining room while looking at the scrap book of ideas and talking about where to get started.

A romantic but rather uncomfortable night on the floor with an airmattress and candles but no heat didn't seem to spoil the couples enjoyment. It wasn't until after their intimate celebration that Alice and Justin talked of the one dark spot on the house. Ava's death. They were never sure if Ava had been experimenting with a method of sexual arousal or if she had intentionally hurt herself. It had changed everything for her and Ava's family. The inuendos that Ava was a "bad girl" resulting in her death had been difficult for her family. After much counseling, Ava had resolved to live with the happier memories in her heart and not think about sadness.

Just before dawn something woke Alice. She left her husband's side and went wondering through the empty house. It wasn't long before she was at Ava's bedroom door. It still had tape marks on it from all the posters the girls had hung there against her parental advice. Alice shook her head and smiled, saying "Someday, someone will have to clean up that sticky tape....." That is okay... just wait until you see what I do with this space.

Alice opened the door and froze in fear. She screamed and fainted.

Several months later: Justin handed over the scrap book and rusty keys to the new owners. "The memories were just too much for my wife. She missed her friend too much. Good luck. Enjoy."

No one else ever saw the rope but Alice knew she would never be able to live in that house.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges