Favorite Toy 4/21-4/27

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
gigitan
Private E-1

Re: Favorite Toy 4/21-4/27

Postby gigitan » Fri May 01, 2009 8:58 am

One day, my mom found a plastic doll face on the street. It was a very pretty face, as big as my palm. We clean it up. My mom took out some cotton filling and white fabric from her treasure box, with a scissor, a needle and threat, she magically sewed a head and the whole body onto the plastic face. She glued some black yarn over the white head for hair, and cut some bans on the doll's forehead. "I want two pony tails for her." I reminded my mom. I was five years old with two pony tails.
In the next few days, for the very first time, I learned how to knit a sweater and pants for the doll. My mom also showed me how to make pair shoes with fabric. The doll was finally completed. It had big black eyes, black hair with red ribbon, red sweater with different color buttons, and black pants with red stripes. It was beautiful and soft. It was the best doll, and the only doll that I have ever had.

heathermoreland
Private First Class

RE: Favorite Toy 4/21-4/27

Postby heathermoreland » Mon May 04, 2009 5:30 am

My favorite toy as a child was a stuffed panda bear. After being adopted, my birth mother came to visit me for my birthday, she brought me a fluffy panda bear. I thought maybe she did have a little love for me... I was very young and to this day, panda bears are my favorite animals...

heathermoreland
Private First Class

Postby heathermoreland » Mon May 04, 2009 5:30 am

My favorite toy as a child was a stuffed panda bear. After being adopted, my birth mother came to visit me for my birthday, she brought me a fluffy panda bear. I thought maybe she did have a little love for me... I was very young and to this day, panda bears are my favorite animals...

easttn
Private E-1

Postby easttn » Mon May 11, 2009 8:54 am

Growing up in the sparsely populated backwoods of Oklahoma, our upbringing was not filled with the kinds of toys most kids grew up with. Our dad was a lumberjack and spent most of his days and nights away from home. Some trips required that he stay gone for days on end. When he was at home, we would spend hours watching him split wood, all the while listening to him tell us stories. We could only imagine the far off places he’d traveled to be able to come back with such wonderful, tall tales. He would chop away at the wood and stop only to bend down and get wide-eyed at the most critical parts of the story. And then, BAM! He’d scare the lightning out of us, or tell a punch-line that had us laughing and repeating it for days. We begged him to teach us how to tell stories so well.

One evening, dad came home in a very chipper mood. He had his clothes sack flung over his back that he would take on trips. Aside from his clothes, it also contained a supply of beef jerky, breads, a few cups and pots, matches and a flask that he made sure was put out in the barn before he came inside, since mom always started emptying the bag and fussing about how smelly and dusty its contents were.

Only this time, he would not let her dump it out. No this time he brought it around to the front of the couch exclaiming how he had brought us a toy we would enjoy forever. He gathered us all around his bag, which he used to mask the item by holding it just at the edge of the opening. He went on to tell us how story telling was a craft. How people were inspired by a character, a plot, a feeling of belonging, yet a whim of dreaminess that helped them believe they could be someone else. He made us close our eyes and reach out a hand to grab hold of the toy. When we opened our eyes, we were each holding a round piece of wood that was about the size of a frisbee. He went on to explain that the holder of this toy was empowered to open his imagination and tell tales larger than he had ever told anyone.

We spent years after that using the wooden slab as a launch pad for family story-telling and to this day it is on my mantle where I reflect on the stories we would tell as we each took a turn telling tales we dug out of the deep recesses of our happy minds.

That would have to be my favorite toy.

XintricKim
Major

Postby XintricKim » Mon May 11, 2009 2:49 pm

My favorite toy may not be considered a "toy" by some people, but it is one of the things I have the best memories of playing with .  In late elementary/early middle school I received a bright yellow radio with a tape deck for my birthday.  My younger brother and sister and I sat for hours recording "radio shows."  We put a tape in the deck, pressed record, and pretended to be DJs.  We told jokes, sang commercials, and played 5-second snippets of songs from the real radio.    For one radio show we had a psychic as a special guest and took calls.   My younger sister was the psychic, my brother was the DJ, and I spoke for various people who called in with questions.  My sister even dressed up in a costume that she imagined a psychic would wear.  (Lots of fake jewelry was involved.) 

I don't remember how many tapes we made but I know they have all been lost.  If I could have one thing from childhood it would be one or all of those tapes.  I'm sure that if my siblings and I could listen to those tapes today we would laugh until we cried!

Speakeasy
Private E-1

Postby Speakeasy » Mon May 11, 2009 5:36 pm

My talking Freddie Telephone! I loved it! It was red with a yellow springy cord, and best of all, it had eyeballs! How many phones had that? It talked to me and I talked to it. I would carry that oddity everywhere. Hard plastic wasn't very cuddly, but at age 4 I managed it anyway. Then one day after a have what seemed like hours of fun with my Freddie, my older brother and his friends asked to see it. Delightfully, I passed it to them and walked into the house. Why, oh why did I trust a group of little boys with my beloved. Later that day I found my toy on the sidewalk busted! It had all the classic signs of a fire cracker attack: gunpower smell, black powder burns and blue confetti-like pieces littering its back. I cried all night. It was a cool toy. Really cool.

Speakeasy
Private E-1

Postby Speakeasy » Mon May 11, 2009 5:36 pm

My talking Freddie Telephone! I loved it! It was red with a yellow springy cord, and best of all, it had eyeballs! How many phones had that? It talked to me and I talked to it. I would carry that oddity everywhere. Hard plastic wasn't very cuddly, but at age 4 I managed it anyway. Then one day after a have what seemed like hours of fun with my Freddie, my older brother and his friends asked to see it. Delightfully, I passed it to them and walked into the house. Why, oh why did I trust a group of little boys with my beloved. Later that day I found my toy on the sidewalk busted! It had all the classic signs of a fire cracker attack: gunpower smell, black powder burns and blue confetti-like pieces littering its back. I cried all night. It was a cool toy. Really cool.

a.bethie
Private E-1

Postby a.bethie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:16 pm

The best toy I ever had as a child was a bright orange and yellow periscope my mother bought me from the dollar store. With the periscope I could see anything and everything around corners and over tables, chairs, or beds. With the periscope, no enemy intruders could reach my friend and me inside our hideout behind the recliners in our living room because as soon as danger presented itself, we would see it, alarm our watch dog (my sister's stuffed dog that had a graduation cap and friend's signatures all over it) and deactivate the vanishing pillow bridge over the carpet moat. What a fun security and spy system!

a.bethie
Private E-1

Postby a.bethie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:16 pm

The best toy I ever had as a child was a bright orange and yellow periscope my mother bought me from the dollar store. With the periscope I could see anything and everything around corners and over tables, chairs, or beds. With the periscope, no enemy intruders could reach my friend and me inside our hideout behind the recliners in our living room because as soon as danger presented itself, we would see it, alarm our watch dog (my sister's stuffed dog that had a graduation cap and friend's signatures all over it) and deactivate the vanishing pillow bridge over the carpet moat. What a fun security and spy system!

Katrina Rychling
Private E-2

Postby Katrina Rychling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:37 pm

When I was a child I used to love playing those claw machines; the ones where a metal ‘claw’ swoops down and tries to grab the prize or your choice. One time I remember being at the Holyoke Mall and there were a bunch of bears in one of the machines. I played and won. It was easy. Easier than some, which never seemed to grab any.

I had been playing long enough to know which machines to not bother with and which ones have potential to win something. That is win something without spending a fortune.

I must have spent $30 in that machine and walked away with 30 or more bears. I have no idea why I needed so many bears, I just liked the thrill of winning them.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges