[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Waiting Game 02/28-03/06 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Waiting Game 02/28-03/06

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
yudelka
Captain

RE: Waiting Game 02/28-03/06

Postby yudelka » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:52 am

That was funny, touchstone. I enjoyed it.

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:56 am

Whoa, Mallory. Have we got some issues? Just kidding. That was cool. I was expecting baldy to turn out to be Satan or some such.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:37 am

Touchstone: Beautiful and very Japanese. You've learned well, young grasshopper. I'd be hesitant to challenge you to GO.

Mal: Very passionate. You have so many vivid characters to give voice to. Keep writing.

Dennis:  Please, please expand to at least a long short story, PLEASE!

John

dfletcher
Private E-1

Postby dfletcher » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:53 am

Actually, I am beginning a compilation of short stories (Longer than 500 words) all about Hanston. This one will be expounded upon very shortly.
I hope that is what you meant. :)

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:23 am

Word count - 430

Gail shifted on the hard plastic seat. I wonder how much it would cost the airport to put padding in these things. She pulled a piece off the roll she'd gotten from Cinnabon and stuck it in her mouth. I'm sure to end up weighing three hundred pounds. At least she'd gotten skim milk. Gail shifted again and looked at her fellow passengers-to-be.

One couple sat together but were in separate worlds. He was reading the newspaper and she was talking on her cell phone. The woman had black hair pulled back and fastened tightly with something that looked like chopsticks. She was thin enough to make Gail think of a stick man. Gail couldn't help but think that the woman had had one too many surgeries. Her eyebrows were thin and raised up in a look of perpetual surprise. Then, in that way that people seem to sense being watched, the woman turned toward Gail and their eyes locked. Gail attempted a lame smile before turning away guiltily.

There was a couple sitting across from her that appeared to be in their eighties. They sat close talking in low voices and holding hands. Gail wondered if the woman was afraid to fly, or upset about something else. Her husband seemed to be comforting her. Why does he have to be her husband? Gail thought. Maybe they've been lovers for years and have just gotten up the courage to leave their spouses for each other. She smiled at the thought, then frowned as the shrill scream of an infant tore through the gate area. Well now I know who I'll be sitting next to or in front of.

Movement and color caught her eye and she switched her focus to a young man walking by on his way to another gate. Gail stared openly as the teenager passed. His hair was spiked straight out in all directions and looked like a pufferfish floating down the corridor. He had two or three piercings in each eyebrow and one in his lower lip. He was wearing a black and red leather jacket liberally studded with silver over a tight black tee shirt, leopard-patterned skin-tight pants and heavy work boots. Has his mother seen him today? Maybe she'll be there to pick him up. Gail couldn't tear her eyes away until he was out of sight. If it was my kid, I'd make him strip right there at the baggage claim and put on new clothes.

Shaking her head, she popped another piece of cinnamon roll into her mouth and checked the time.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:29 am

Delightful as always Meddie. Loved the pufferfish analogy.

John

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:57 am

cathryisist
Private E-1

RE: Waiting Game 02/28-03/06 - Some rough language.

Postby cathryisist » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:10 am

I'm sorry y'all. It's 598 words. This was fun though.

We started out this morning at five. Last night was rough, but not rougher than these seats in the waiting room of Out-Patient Surgery. Mama had been in there for at least 2 hours and it was now eight am. I would go to sleep but these chairs in this little fish tank of a place are uncomfortable as hell. Jeez! Why can’t they make these things soft like a lazy boy? I watch people walk by as they watch me sitting there watching them.

There’s nothing to do but watch some annoying news cast on television and listen to the cacophony that’s going on in my head. Will she make it through? Mama’s quite old. Will she be alright? How long is she going to have to be in recovery? What if they have to keep her? What if something goes wrong? I turn and look out the window behind me in the fishbowl room. All I see below is the roof top of one of the other buildings of the hospital. Wow! Really interesting; I think I see bird poop unicorns and rainbows. Look, there’s another building across the way. Hey what do you know, I think they’re watching me too.
Oh, here comes a doctor, is he Mothers? I don’t remember his name or what he looks like at this point. He’s kind of cute. I hope he is Mother’s. He slows down and looks into the waiting room and he passes.

Damn! When are they going to come in and let me know something? I settle back and listen to my worrisome thoughts some more. There are magazines on the table, so I pick one and leaf through it. Boring! Who wants to look at a hunting magazine or a fishing magazine? There are child rearing type magazines too. I’m single with no children, not to mention any prospects, and I don’t fish or hunt.

Next, I try watching the clock, hoping it will hypnotize me into being relaxed enough to take a quick nap with everyone and his brother watching. It’s 8:35 am. I count seconds, and minutes through drooping eyelids. I feel my breathing becoming more and more relaxed. Damn this chair is hurting my ass. I change positions. Did you know that in the waiting room seats there are no comfortable positions? I think we were born knowing that simple fact, but while waiting, what else is there to do but try to invent one?

Did they kidnap her? It’s going on 10:00 am. It was supposed to be a “simple procedure.” Did she die? No, probably not, they would come and tell me that. I hope at least. Oh goody! Here comes someone else. Maybe he will feel like talking. I’d talk the ears off a Billy goat right now. I’m so bored. He stops and looks in the room and then moves on. I’m so glad I can be entertainment to someone other than myself.

Finally! I see the doctor I kind of remember from this morning. He comes in and says she made it through fine and she’ll be in recovery for another two hours. He’s got to be kidding! I say ok and thank you. I want to ask. Can I please go into recovery from these chairs for two hours? My ass hurts. I’ve got cramps in my legs and I can’t feel my feet.
I’m relieved so I shuffle my legs to wake them up and get up and go grab a cup of coffee and a muffin from the kitchen six stories below to wait some more.

whiteboyskim
Private First Class

Postby whiteboyskim » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:43 pm

Dominator sat quietly in the corner of his dentist’s office doing his best to ignore the flaring pain in his jaw. He ruled over millions, had conquered hundreds of worlds across dozens of star systems, yet there he quietly sat in a sterile waiting room with peach colored walls and a handful of magazines from three months ago. He glanced at the clock on the wall and realized he’d been waiting for the last half hour. He shook his head in disgust, but a stabbing pain hit him in his jaw. His gloved hand flew to his face and he grimaced in anguish. His right hand formed a fist which he then pounded on his knee in anger.

All this joy from a steak dinner which, to their credit, all four of his wives had warned him he shouldn’t eat. Hindsight made him realize that his worst fear was about to walk through the inner office door and he had no one to blame but himself.

The door to the inner office opened quickly and there stood the one person who struck fear into Dominator’s tiny heart: Nurse Hanna.

"Mister… Dominator?" she rhetorically asked him. Dominator nodded, unable to speak due to the pain. He stood and towered over the red-headed and freckled woman by a good two feet, yet it took all his confidence to keep from bolting the office. Nurse Hanna calmly moved to the left and held the door for him, and as he walked through he saw her smirk at him. He had faced armies and huge beasts in single combat, yet her expression filled him with dread.

"Go right in and the doctor will see you as soon as he’s available," Nurse Hanna said. "I’ll be in there shortly to prep you, and we’ll see if we can’t dominate your little problem."

Dominator felt the contempt in her voice reach into his chest and crush his soul. He knew a thousand curses in a thousand languages and all of them he directed at last night’s steak. He knew the waiting was only the beginning of the true misery to come – being alone with Nurse Hanna while she worked on his mouth. He knew his enemies wouldn’t recognize the dejected and slouched form that moped into his dentist’s office, nor would they believe a being of his might could be cowed by a woman barely five feet tall. But Dominator knew there was a lot of power packed into that small frame, and he feared it with every fiber of his being. And now he would get to spend the next few hours being worked over by her because he failed to listen when he should.

Justice may be blind, he thought, but she has a wicked sense of humor.

---------------------------
464 words by my count. :)

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:24 am

Thank you so much, Mitch.  This litle gem works on so many levels.

John

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges