[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Waiting Game 02/28-03/06 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Waiting Game 02/28-03/06

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Administrator1
Lieutenant

Waiting Game 02/28-03/06

Postby Administrator1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:49 am

Administrator1
Lieutenant

Waiting Game 02/28-03/06

Postby Administrator1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:49 am

Waiting in line, traffic or your doctor’s lobby doesn't have to be a waste of time. Take a pad of paper or laptop with you and write how your hero or villain would respond if asked to wait.

(Limit responses to 500 words.)

OmenSpirits.com
Lieutenant

RE: Waiting Game 02/28-03/06

Postby OmenSpirits.com » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:31 pm

wrd count: 368

Her hair was golden, and it moved with such elegance that it could stop wars from occurring. I felt myself wanting to know her name, wishing I was the next person to pay homage at her sandaled feet. She wore, as she stood at the ivory and silver table, a fabric made of a soft fiber that hugged and extenuated every curve of her alabaster skin. I stood much too far down the end of the congregation line for my turn at feasting my eyes upon such….such….

“Hey man? Wake the hell up! This is the 13 or less line, not your bed. Damn, how someone could fall asleep standing in line is just plain crazy.”

I had drool coming down the side of my face. A slight red spot grew where my head had once been propped up. I wasn’t some ancient roman follower, wishing to worship at the feet of the goddess Athena. I was a mid-level accountant at Newmans accounting firm on the other side of the strip mall that this Y-Mart was neighbors with.

The 13 items or less line was backed up to the nuts & cereal aisle and I was using a metal shelf with Lucky charms stacked in rows of twos to lean my arm on.

The maiden whose hair was so golden, was actually a seventy-five year old black woman with a blonde weave and enough makeup to call her light-skinned. Her Y-Mart bib was rapped tight enough around her gut to cause breathing problems. The ivory and silver table was actually the check out counter.

I’d been on line for the past hour and a half. People were getting upset at the slowness of the elderly woman who would slowly take each can and box of food and stroke them across the barcode reader, more than once to make sure she’d gotten it to register. She’d count out the person’s change slowly and accurately trying her best. But profanity flew out of the people before me and after like leaves in a tornado.

I had a boring job that I was not that too much of a hurry to get back to.

I smiled, and went back to sleep.

end

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:28 pm

Excellent Bob!  Just damn excellent.

John

dfletcher
Private E-1

Postby dfletcher » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:29 pm

Almost 500 words. This thread is really pushing me to write. This is just awesome! I hope you all enjoy.

Hanston knew it was almost his turn. He had been waiting in this shop for several hours and had watched at least one elf, two dwarves and a half-ogre get their equipment back. He had seen things come out of the backroom that made him jealous and that made him repulse in disgust. He wasn’t sure how things worked back there, but he knew they were working as fast as they could.
He could hear the noises in the back and thought back to his youth, when the dwarves of his village would come and work their magic on the tools each farmer brought them. He remembered how they would bring in broken plows and sickles and how they would receive the same piece back, looking brand new and working better than ever. Sometimes the farmer would trade one broken tool for something better. It was always better for the farmers, but what he was just finding out was that it was also very expensive. That was probably why his family never traded their tools
He looked at the elf in the corner, the only other person there. He looked like royalty and sat like that as well. His long sword was broken in half when he came in, shortly after Hanston. He looked as if he were in tears when he handed it to the short dwarf, but the little man had taken it with what looked like high regard for the elf. He placed it carefully upon the cart that he pushed and assured the stately elf that everything would be fine.
That had been hours ago, and Hanston had seen others with smaller items come in and out. He and the elf where the only two to have spent this much time in the lobby and they hadn’t even exchanged a hello. He had wondered where the elf was and how he could have broken a sword that well made in half.
He had seen this elf before, in one of the taverns down the street. He looked as out of place there as a child would. He remembered seeing the sword at his side, grand in stature, and grandiose in looks. He wondered then who this might be and why he was there, just as he did now.
Finally, the dwarf that first took care of Hanston came out from the back. He was carrying Hanston’s package carefully and handed it to him with a slight bow. Hanston unwrapped the package to find that it was the elf’s sword. He looked at the rune covered blade and could feel the power. The hilt, decorated with gems from around the world seemed to balance it out perfectly. He couldn’t believe it. He looked at the elf, or where the elf had been, and wondered. He looked at the dwarf with confusion and the dwarf looked up and smiled. He would always wonder.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:54 am

We were to depart at lunchtime on Thursday. As usual, we ended up leaving Austin at 4:30 PM, along with about 500,000 other people vying for a place in line on Mo Pac Expressway. Traffic was slow and go. We passed the time by gnashing our teeth at fellow drivers and delivering back-handed accusations at each other over whose fault it was that we were stuck here, in rush hour traffic, with a 4-hour-drive-in-good-traffic-on-a-holiday weekend ahead of us.

“Well, once again, we picked rush hour to try to get out of Austin.”
Like, it's all my fault? “Yeah, well I had everything packed by 1:00 PM as promised.”
“I'm sorry that I had to take care of my clients so I could feed the family and make vacations like this possible.”
“Yeah, well I wasn't generating any revenue for the family but I had everything packed by 1:00 PM, as promised.”
“Well, then, it’s my fault. I'm so sorry we're leaving during rush hour.”
I hate when he plays the martyr, “Oh, please…,” but my rebuttal was interrupted by a voice from the back seat.

“I have to use the potty.”

Yep, just another flipping happy family road trip.

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:15 pm

I liked yours, Dennis. Here's mine: 507 words, sorry!

----

Will leaned back and settled his arms behind his head. He’d been waiting for Kyle’s counter play for long minutes and felt himself growing drowsy. The wind chimes tinkled in the breeze, dangling next to the sliding porch door. Dreamily he gazed at the light reflecting off the swinging cylinders. It caught on the crystal and glinted on his opponent’s glasses.

Kyle was scowling, nose wrinkling as he contemplated the checkered board. The light cascaded in a freefall over his gold-rimmed glasses.
Will shifted his position and the light broke into rainbow colors. In tantalizing spirals they splayed across the crevices of Kyle’s face. He was enraptured, caught up in the display, and felt his soul lifting with the rays as they returned to the sky.

He was weightless, alighting on a cloud with effortless grace. Blissfully he glided in the air, a sea of shimmering milk below him. In the distance a mountain of cream swirled at the peak like ice cream melting under a summer sun. He tumbled amid clouds of marshmallows and water chestnuts.

A hazy thought crossed his mind, and before he knew what he was doing he arched his back and dove into the white sea. Emerging, he tilted back his head, allowing the iridescent rays to kiss his face. There he floated, a dot of color on a blank canvass, a wandering bird in an idyllic countryside.

Then suddenly, without warning, the white faded. He felt himself growing cold. The light retreated sadly, the last tendrils reaching out, but though he sought to grasp them they proved elusive. A sob rose in his throat –

“Hey man, you all right?”

Will started at the sound of Kyle’s voice. Blinking in confusion, he glanced out the window. The sky was overcast and the sun had disappeared.

“Will?” his friend persisted.

“I’m mourning. I’m fine. Did you move?”

Kyle shook his head and returned to studying the board. “I’m thinking. Don’t rush me.”

“You’ve been at it for hours.”

“That’s because I’m considering every option. Last time you beat me by a hair. This time, I won’t lose.”

Will sighed. “Last time we were playing Go, and you suck at that. Besides, you’re not going to win now either. I took your queen, both bishops, and a knight.”

“All the more reason for me to tread cautiously.”

“Aren’t you Irish? Where’s your sense of adventure?”

“How did you get from Irish to adventure – is there a correlation here I’m missing?”

Will nodded, smirking. “Of course. You know that slogan ‘Kiss me, I’m Irish’? That’s pretty adventurous if you ask me. After all, you wore that shirt to Boy Scouts.”

“Will!”

He raised his hands. “Relax, you’re not gay. Happy, yes, but gay…”

Kyle’s upper lip twitched as it often did when he was royally miffed at Will. Without another word he looked back at the board, determined now to make Will wait many more agonizing minutes.

Will leaned back. He put his arms behind his head. The sun peeked out from behind the clouds…

meloncholy
Sergeant

Postby meloncholy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:39 pm

Hank looked around him. Everywhere he looked stood another mindless person. The man standing in front of him wore a silly looking business suit. A pressed blue jacket with cuffed sleeves and a hairpiece, his breifcase in hand. Hank smirked. People, he thought, could be surprisingly blind.

He tapped the man on his shoulder. The man half turned in response. Hank smiled, showing his perfect, white teeth. "Excuse me, Mister, I'm in a bit of a jam and need to hurry outta here. Mind if I cut in front of you?"

The man scoffed. "You think I'm not in a hurry?"

Hank kept smiling. "I never implied you weren't. I'm simply asking if I could slip in front of you. Have a schedule to tend to and well," Hank pointed to the slow bankers. "Apparently, it's the first day on the job for all of 'em."

The man laughed and refused again. "I dont think so, man. You can wait like the rest of us."

Hank felt his blood rise to his cheeks. The rest of them, how dare he group him together with these poeple. He reached into his jacket and felt the sharp tip of the knife. Stupid, bald man, he thought.

"Excuse me?" The man in front of him spun around. "What did you just say?" A few people who were close by had caught some of the conversation and were now watching them.

Hank bit his lip. "I'm sorry? I didn't say anything." I should kill you right now, he thought.

"Is that a threat, Mister? We're in a bank, not some abandoned ally. Where the hell do you get off..."

Hank swallowed. "What are you? Some kind of psychic. How are you reading my thoughts?"

The man's deep voice bellowed with laughter. "Are you some kind of loon? I'm not reading your mind."

"I'm not crazy, you son of a bitch." Hank said, his fury rising. The knife in his jacket somehow ended up in his hand. He raised his arm while screams filled his head. "Quit laughing at me! Quit screaming!" He felt the point of the knife pierce flesh and the resistance was taunting. In one quick movement, he jabbed the length of the knife into the bald suit.

Hank laughed. "Ha! Think I'm funny. I'm not funny." Screams filled him up so quickly he could do nothing but fall to the ground. On his way down, he seen the businessman's face twisted into a look of fear and pain. Hank grinned as he hit the tan carpet.

dfletcher
Private E-1

Postby dfletcher » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:09 am

Touchstone, Thank you, I found yours rather enjoyable as well. Good storyline.

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:48 am

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges