[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
New Career 2/3-2/9 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

New Career 2/3-2/9

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Dear Dean
Corporal

RE: New Career 2/3-2/9

Postby Dear Dean » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:38 pm

Dear Dean
Corporal

Postby Dear Dean » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:38 pm

brit<3
Private E-1

Postby brit<3 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Of coures, it was always the oversensitive, shy, " office dork" who got the boot!
No, no, i've let go of that. Deep breaths, in, out.
Well now i really only had two choices – well one really if you exclude violens – I would have to go back to my old " Dream" or had been dream rather. Yup, i was going to have to be that greeting card disigner i always wanted to be, yipe.
True, it had been my dream, and we shouldnt let our dreams go right? Well i found myself procrastinating more and more, it always seemed the more you didn't have to go to work the less you wanted to go back. Thus i found myself doing yoga on my under sized patio in my cramped apartment in the uper west side – or as I liked to refer to it, the lower west side.
Well I should probebly get to work if I wanted to pay this months rent. I pulled my frizzy red hair out of the pony tail holder and it exploded into a puff around my face. I looked in the hall-way mirror as i passed it, as always that was as good it was going to get.
I sat down on my cumffy chair in my makeshift studio and got to work, hopefully halmark would fall absoulutly in love with one of my cards and i would never have to disign anothe stupid one ever again, yeah i should be so lucky.
After about an hour and 20 pices of card stock later i found myself really getting into it, granted all my cards were all griving, but hey cards are cards.
Maybe everything did happen for a reason.

Ok please dont be too harsh after all i am only 13 :)

brit<3
Private E-1

Postby brit<3 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Of coures, it was always the oversensitive, shy, " office dork" who got the boot!
No, no, i've let go of that. Deep breaths, in, out.
Well now i really only had two choices – well one really if you exclude violens – I would have to go back to my old " Dream" or had been dream rather. Yup, i was going to have to be that greeting card disigner i always wanted to be, yipe.
True, it had been my dream, and we shouldnt let our dreams go right? Well i found myself procrastinating more and more, it always seemed the more you didn't have to go to work the less you wanted to go back. Thus i found myself doing yoga on my under sized patio in my cramped apartment in the uper west side – or as I liked to refer to it, the lower west side.
Well I should probebly get to work if I wanted to pay this months rent. I pulled my frizzy red hair out of the pony tail holder and it exploded into a puff around my face. I looked in the hall-way mirror as i passed it, as always that was as good it was going to get.
I sat down on my cumffy chair in my makeshift studio and got to work, hopefully halmark would fall absoulutly in love with one of my cards and i would never have to disign anothe stupid one ever again, yeah i should be so lucky.
After about an hour and 20 pices of card stock later i found myself really getting into it, granted all my cards were all griving, but hey cards are cards.
Maybe everything did happen for a reason.

Ok please dont be too harsh after all i am only 13 :)

btwebster
Private E-1

Postby btwebster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 pm

I've been thinking for years about doing something different. I mean, I love my job and everything but it's all I have ever known. A change would be nice. To branch out, diversify. Whatever I did, I thought it should be creative and better connect me with the world around me. So, being lucky enough to find myself out of work with enough money saved to relax (albeit on a strict budget) for a short while, I was exhilarated and overwhelmed with possibility at the news of being laid off. It felt sort of like recess.

The first few days were spent as a professional couch potato - but that wasn't for me. I started doing internet research on ideas I had, one day I picked up the guitar I bought years ago but never learned to play, and today, this morning, I thought about being a writer. Why? Well, it's creative, connects me to the world around me, and requires the least monetary investment. I did a double take. I'm a high school drop out after all, and english was my least favorite subject. But now, writing appeals to me - beyond the rational reasons.

So today is my first day as a writer and let me tell you, it's great. Just look at this, as I am typing there is a lady bug crawling across my screen. Any other job one would swat it away for running interference. But in this job, at this moment, it is an opportunity to learn and discover. Given practice I could spend the whole day describing the little details I notice - the way she hangs on to the screen, what motivates her to walk - seriously - across the exact line which I am typing?, what is it that she is doing when she rubs her little feets together? I don't have to go anywhere or do anything, I just have to sit and look at the world around me and there is a lifetime of material. I just have to learn how to communicate what I see - and, I suppose, figure out how to get people to pay me for it (scratching head, hadn’t thought of that before) - and I'm in business!

BigD
Private E-1

Postby BigD » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:42 pm

So when I lost my job, I viewed it as a chance to start afresh, get off on a new foot. Maybe I could go back to school, or try a job that I never thought I'd do, or something else whimsical and fun. Me and my stupid optimism.
Sure, I never did think I would be a bank robber, so it fits the description, and now, here I am, starting afresh by robbing the very bank I used to work at. I'm holding the gun at people. "Hey! Keep your head down or I'll blow it to bits!" I yell in a voice much lower than mine. I have to, or else Kevin- my buddy from before the pink slip- would probably recognize my voice. He's hiding over there in the corner, staring right at me. For a second, I panic, thinking that maybe he's recognized me, but then I remember I'm wearing a ski mask. I hate these ski masks- they're too itchy! At least they disguise me.
OK. I'm starting to get nervous. It's been, like, ten minutes since we ran in here, and no one is talking to me. I'm the only one out here to guard the customers; everyone else went over to the vault, because the boss (I can't say his real name, obviously) says I have no special skills. So what if I'm not ultra- strong? I think I'm one darn tootin' good robber if I do say so myself. Argh! Where are they? You think they'd be thoughtful enough to have someone send me a check-up message...
I glance at the clock: twenty minutes. Oh no! I can hear the sirens screaming in the streets. The police are coming! I can't get caught! I'll go to jail! Screw the other guys- I'm outta here.
Quickly, I run out the door over to where we parked the van. It's not there. I curse under my breath. They left me! I have to hide. But it's too late. "Put your hands over your head," says the cop through the loudspeaker...

melmelmelmel
Private E-1

The New and Exciting Land of....

Postby melmelmelmel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:30 am

Temping. The third most feared word, next to layoff and pink slip. For the uninitiated, the world of a temporary employee is a muddled one, filled constant humiliations and mild psychological abuse. Once again, I’m at a new assignment, my second so far. My position is Advanced Executive Assistant to Mr. Big-time Mucky-Muck, but he works four cities away (both good and bad…). Not what I had in mind when I graduated.

Remembering the agency’s comments about my resume (“We can’t do anything with Project Manager for Johnson & Johnson. What about office experience? Do you own a suit? Do you know Word and Excel? Can you type?” I built robots as a hobby in school, so yeah, I can type.) I strive to project the perfect Admin aura. Pristine, functional and well-groomed (people were very surprised at this. I got at six comments about my fabulous pumps and manicure, definitely tells me something about the applicant pool in DC). As I finish my filing and label-making duties, I ponder all the work that went into my degree in Math and Marketing, and I admit bitterness. My ego shouts this job is too small for me, that these people have no appreciation for my knowledge of harmonic functions, love of statistics or hardcore marketing. My sad BB&T balance wills me to calm down and earn some much needed cash.

I read the pep talk from my agency contact, Devon – make yourself indispensable, be super friendly but not too friendly (so, no reach arounds?), always have a huge smile and special comment for everyone, make the best coffee in the world. Since she was really too busy to come in Monday, I met the woman I took over for SUNDAY afternoon, making sure I was up to speed so I could hit the ground running Monday morning. Setting up the ancient laptop I would use and making sure there was staples and tape. And so the week began with folks coming by at intervals to talk. My desk is right by the copy machine and beverage area, so lots of traffic.

There’s etiquette to office greetings. Hello is appropriate upon seeing the person for the first time that day. One might exchange a mention of the weather or how awful is the traffic (I metro, sorry). The next time it’s a look, a smile and maybe another comment. After that, it’s uncomfortable hurrying. The key is eye contact; you try to look incredibly busy getting that fifth cup of coffee, rustling some papers like you can’t drag your eyes from it. I want to tell them I have no interest in conversation and deeply appreciate the avoidance.
Blessedly, it’s almost Friday and my check is directly deposited!

IrvingSherwood
Private E-1

Postby IrvingSherwood » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Four weeks ago I had a feeling that working as the robot technician's assistant wasn't going to be successful for much longer. Just two weeks passed and I was packing up my toolbox and heading for the newspaper stand to grab an opportunity at something more "me". Several options flew up at me, but they required me to own a car, which I didn't have due to living in Chicago, and having most of my routine stops close by. For a few days I searched online, and through most classifieds in every paper imaginable. After three days of that, there was at last an advertisement for a small time journalist for the Chicago Tribune. ehh whatever.

IrvingSherwood
Private E-1

Postby IrvingSherwood » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Four weeks ago I had a feeling that working as the robot technician's assistant wasn't going to be successful for much longer. Just two weeks passed and I was packing up my toolbox and heading for the newspaper stand to grab an opportunity at something more "me". Several options flew up at me, but they required me to own a car, which I didn't have due to living in Chicago, and having most of my routine stops close by. For a few days I searched online, and through most classifieds in every paper imaginable. After three days of that, there was at last an advertisement for a small time journalist for the Chicago Tribune. ehh whatever.

MIAMIDARRELL
Private E-1

Re: New Career 2/3-2/9

Postby MIAMIDARRELL » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:51 pm

After eighteen and a half years of spilling blood and sweat for the county I get the axe due to the sluggish economy and falling property taxes. I have to buy my last year and a half of retirement in order to get a retirement check. Now my savings are one third of what I planned and the bills are rolling in and life seems to be harder than it really should be. Stuck with only a few realistic options of security guard or private investigator I decide to throw caution to the wind and put in an application for a crossing guard position with the railroad. Surprising enough I get selected and as luck would have it, I get the Old Mill Road crossing. Located miles away from the hectic city with only the local feed store within site, I find myself in a small ten by ten building facing the lush countryside, green grass, a few crops and a sprinkle of trees at the bottom of rolling hills, responsible for lowering and raising a manual railroad crossing barrier when trains pass by. I sit, and turn on the television to the local news station. I set a big Ben alarm clock for 10:30 am and kick back. When the alarm sounds, I walk outside and watch for the 10:45 train to pass headed for the rail yard just over the hill. As it approaches I take the crank handle and lower the barrier. A simple wave to the conductor, and then one for the engineer at the back, and crank the barrier back up. With a nod and a hand gesture to the waiting motorists, I head back to my box. Forty-five minutes later I repeat the process as the train heads away into the distance. Back the box again for some Family Feud and the Jerry Springer show, have lunch and wait for the 3:45 train going to the rail yard. Another couple of waves, a few nods and I'm done for another day. What a job! A job that provides a full day's pay, benefits, and absolutely no stress. I now am able to enjoy a relaxing life at the end of a career in law enforcement. From dealing with criminals, fights, gunshots, car wrecks and anything else the public throws at its police officers today; to a quiet, peaceful countryside where the only threat of physical pain comes from the occasional mosquito bite. Thank the Lord for the timing as this position will be filled for many years to come.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges