New Career 2/3-2/9

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

New Career 2/3-2/9

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:10 am

Brian
Lieutenant

New Career 2/3-2/9

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:10 am

You were recently laid off. Instead of moping around, you've viewed it as a chance to start fresh. Pick a new career and write about your first day on the job.

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

Cat_Hey
Private E-1

Re: New Career 2/3-2/9

Postby Cat_Hey » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:58 am

I pulled my car into the gravel driveway of the local "farm report," radio station. The manager of the station with his bad gray hair combed forward told me my voice was all wrong--but we could make it work. "Talk from the diaphram," he said. So I talked to myself for 25 miles on the two-lane road.

I had no idea what they're going to have me do today. He wasn't at all clear about that. Asked me if I could type, knew about computers...probably secretarial stuff. Which is not why I got my minor in Television and Radio...But you have to start somewhere.

After college, I had aspirations of being a reporter--and it was fun covering the Pope's visit to St. Louis...but city council meetings, blah! Landing the page designing job was it. Who would have thought that just making those pages come together around all those ads would be my thing. I loved my people, I loved my job--damn corporate! I always said, "I'm not going anywhere unless they make me."

"Get out of the car, Cat!"..."Alright, alright, already."...Now say it from the diaphram.

"Hello," a dark long-haired lady a couple of years older than me said as I walk in the front door. "I'm Sally," she said, "You must be the new girl."

"Yes, I am," I replied noticing that I was over-dressed. Everybody's wearing jeans and sweat shirts and there I was in a royal blue business suit.

"I don't know where Jack is," she said meaning the boss and bad hair dude. "Did you notice a Ford Explorer parked out front when you came in?"

"No," I said, and she deduced he wasn't there yet.

"Well, just wander around--minding the 'on air' sign."

I nodded and explained that my minor was in Television Radio, so I knew some stuff about the radio industry.

So I wandered around--my house was bigger than this place--and my house was not a big house.

A kid, and I do mean a kid...17-21? Was in the booth. The "on air" light was off, so I smiled. He waved back. I wandered back to the front office and found a chair. Had a little conversation with a voice I recognized, "And now, for the school closings and cancellations for today."

Jack came flying in the door, the wind had blown that great wad of hair to the wrong side and he looked, well, just wrong. The light in my eyes was not enthusiasm but a stifled giggle. He fiddled around in a drawer and found me a red key chain with the radio call letters on it.

"Don't I need to fill out some paper work?" I wondered, so I asked.

"Oh we can do that later," he said, with a wave of his hand and a swoop of his hair.

He had me type radio copy on an ancient type writer. The return carriage did not work. I had struggled to inch the paper up to type the next line. I considered a chisel and a stone just might be better. I did this for two days...and we never got around to that "paper-work."

After work the second day, I drove home and directly to my neighborhood bar. These were two of the longest days of my life.

I got rip-roaring drunk. Didn't crawl back into my house until 3 a.m. knowing full well, I was supposed to get up at 7 a.m.

Well, I couldn't get up at 7 a.m. And I couldn't type another word on that ancient type writer. I couldn't look at Jack with a straight face. I just couldn't...he had said that he had kids come in thinking that this was what they wanted to do, and then one day, they just don't show up for work.

I still have the key chain. It was my payment for two days work. And so much for my radio career--at least--there.

george etc
Private E-1

RE: New Career 2/3-2/9

Postby george etc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:56 am

Oh, woe is me! What am I going to do now? How will I pay my bills? How will I maintain? Who will hire me?

That was me two weeks ago. On this day, however, I have just completed my first day of work at the GLBT center here in Hartford. What a relief it was the day after losing my job to run into Gary. We’ve known each other for years. In fact, we used to run together in the park for the longest time before either of us had the nerve to say hello.

I had no idea Gary was the Administrator at the center, but as soon as I started pouring out my “blues” to him, he suggested I drop off my resume as quickly as possible. This time last year, I wouldn’t have guessed that I’d be working with gay and lesbian kids trying to come to grips with their sexuality. I’d had enough of my own difficulty. How could I counsel them effectively?

Fortunately, my experience in managing one of the local branches of the bank had given me lots of opportunities to work on my people skills. I had learned long that patience went a long way in easing someone’s emotional duress.

I wasn’t at work for more than 35 or 40 minutes before Joaquin walked in, shaggy looking and forelorn. His Mom had demanded he leave the house for good as soon as she learned he’d been seen kissing his good friend, Billy. Joaquin is only 14. How can someone throw him out and tell him to stay out? He needs the comfort of his mother at this time in his life as much as he ever did.

How I worked up the courage and where I got the words from to assuage his feelings, I’ll never know. It wasn’t that long ago that I had gone through a similar situation, except it was me that was disgusted with me. I told Joaquin that I had sworn to myself that I couldn’t possibly be gay – even though I’d already met my first boyfriend.

I’m so thankful that he took comfort in my testimony. His tears dried up so quickly when he realized that it wasn’t the end of the world. I gave him some literature, too, to give to his Mom to help her to understand that being gay is just as normal as being straight.

When Gary and I had lunch later, I told him I had been scared witless with my first client. “It’s normal,”
he said, patting my hand. Only another few minutes had passed after lunch when I discovered how right he was. There was Natalie, Jimmie and finally Doug – all teens who thought their worlds were crashing down on them.

Now I realize that losing my job was valuable. I know my cause and where I need to be. If I can give effective words of comfort to these unfortunate kids, I know I can make it too.

lindalou2008
Private E-1

Postby lindalou2008 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:30 am

It was frightening loosing what I thought was a main staple and now my savings were dwindling fast. I’m hoping that this second interview will go well.
Consciously I pick at lint and hair on my business attire. There are only two good outfits in my wardrobe that were bought specifically for interviews. I find I’m sweating as I approach the glass doors with faded gold lettering.
I practice breathing to calm myself and announce to the receptionist I have arrived.
She appears flustered and dashes from the room to speak to a woman. I can’t see the whom she speaks with but a hand protrudes with papers then the receptionist calmly walks back.
“I’m sorry about that.” She glances at the papers. “Ah, here it is.” then she hands me a paper. “Go through that door,” she points to her right. “down the hall to the end. Jake will show you what to do.”
I take the paper and obey her instructions. Jake is impatiently waiting and leads me to a work bench. “Wash these parts.”
I stare at him in disbelief. This isn’t administrative and I told him so.
“We all start some where.” He walks away.
I stare at the greasy parts, and chemicals I’m to use to accomplish this task then I glance at my expensive clothes. Silently I glance at the ceiling, ‘God, now I know you have a sense of humor’. ‘It’s a job.’ I remind myself then roll up my sleeves.
Time slips by though I’m not certain how much. Suddenly my silence is interrupted and a man dressed in a expensive three piece suit steps in and begins to laugh.
I turn to observe then I look at my clothes.
“You’ve got the job. Anyone who is willing to ruin designer clothes deserves it. Clean yourself up and then you can fill out the forms. We’ll give you a short training session today then you can go home and we’ll see you tomorrow. Does that sound workable?”
I nod. I’ve already begun cleaning my hands. I over here the receptionist being chewed for the mistake then papers are handed to me and I’m directed to a room with a table and chairs to fill the out employment information.
The paper work is tedious and monotonous. I skim through the words because their standard and I’ve read them before. Time passes and I count the lines on the wall before a well dressed woman walks in.
She stops and her chin hits her chest, “Oh, my. He wasn’t kidding. If you’ll bring the receipt we’ll reimburse you for the clothing. I apologize for the misunderstanding. It really wasn’t our intention.”
“It’s okay.” It wasn’t but it was a job. I tried to pay attention as she launched into company policy. Finally they let me leave.
At home my son stared at me. With huge eyes he said, “Mom, didn’t you overdress?”
We chuckled, “It would appear so.”

Writer1001
Private E-1

Postby Writer1001 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:20 am

I must be crazy! I can’t believe I’m doing this. Maybe I should call Doug and beg him to take me back. I’ll take a pay cut. I can’t believe this is happening. Everything inside me quivered. I can’t breathe. Why did I think I could do this? Why? I feel the pressure behind my eyes again. Not the tears coming for another round.

I just can’t believe I’m in this position. The light bill is due, the mortgage is past due, my cable is off, and I only have half a tank of gas. I made over $100,000 a year and I didn’t have $20 in my bank account. That was my job. I’m good at what I do – NO! I’m excellent at what I do. How could they do this to me? I gave them 300% - the best I had. They betrayed me. They ruined my life! And now this, I’m sitting outside some nondescript house, in some crazy costume, hyperventilating. I leaned over and check my makeup for the 50th time. I adjusted the false eyelash for the 49th time. I’m humiliated. I’ve sold everything now maybe it’s my soul this time.

But this was once my dream! No one knew it. This was my guilty secret. Ever since I saw Trudy in college I wanted to do this. It looked like fun and she got paid too. I couldn’t possibly tell my parents, they would have thrown me straight into therapy. No one has the tiniest inkling on just how much I wanted to do this. Now here I am. Breathe! Heart, calm yourself. Music mangled noise is coming from the house. And it’s loud. Okay, I’m going to be okay. Now all I have to do is get out of the car. I’m two minutes late. This is unacceptable. I would fray anybody else for holding up a client. This is only a panic attack – I can do this. Okay, that’s the door handle all I have to do I pull. Get a grip, Woman. Remember you never gave anyone else an assignment you wouldn’t do yourself. So get out of the car!

I’m pushing the button but I can’t hear the doorbell ring. Maybe I should just turn and leave. “Hi, I’m Trina.” I extend my hand to with the man with beer breathe and the scowl. He’s checking me out up and down with this sort of ‘somewhat’ half smile and throws his head to the right, “You can put your stuff in the back room. Come out through that door and hurry up we’ve been waiting for hours for you.” I almost try to explain but he’s gone. I check my makeup in the bathroom mirror one more time. The offending eyelash is cooperating.

I take a deep breathe and push through the door to my tiny audience, startled silent, “HEY, THERE BOYS AND GIRLS! WHAT TIME IS IT? THAT’SSSS RIGHT! IT’S CLOWNY TRINA TIME!”

minniec
Private E-1

Postby minniec » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:43 am

The fact that I would have to wear a short skirt scared me but this job was the best I could do with a stack of bills taller than my four year old. Having never been a cocktail waitress but being informed that I could make good tips I took a chance and applied.
“So you’re the new waitress” The supervisor, a matronly woman in dark glasses asked.
I gave my best toothy grin.
Inspecting me she winced. “Nice smile but I can’t believe they hired you. A bookkeeper with no experience waiting tables.”
I tried not to be insulted. “I’m good with figures.”
She shook her head. “I hope so. Let’s see what you got.”
My husband had suggested I wear a tight skirt and a low cut top. I was a far cry from the buxom brunette I passed on the lounge floor even though I looked my sexiest.
Studying me as if I were fungi she did inventory aloud.
“Your hair is too short but I can fix that with a wig. Customers like it when you toss it over your shoulders.
“You’re not that busty so we’ll pad your bra. Flat stomach. Good.”
Grinning I boasted. “I do aerobics and. . .”
“Your behind is flatter than a fallen cake. Not to worry, I’ve got a little something for back there.”
She grabbed my face. “I hope you’re as smart as they think you are cause you’re making me work hard here.”
Tempted to say something I tightened my lips to a thin smile. “If you’re here long enough get some botox. A full mouth is a happy mouth.”
I tried to smile thinking of all the tips I’d get with my full mouth, larger bust and longer hair. I was out of debt already.
“Oh my God”, she screamed stumbling backwards. Had a rat had entered the room?
She pointed to my toothpick thin legs. “What am I supposed to do with those? Honey, are you related to a chicken because. . .”
“Please I can do the job. My legs are strong and I’ll wear anything. Just give me a chance.”
Donning a wig, a padded bra and padded shorts my chicken legs and I stumbled onto the dimly lit lounge floor. I did a sexy sway as I carried a tray of drinks across the room, my short skirt bouncing off my store bought butt. With each order I tossed my hair, with each drink I gave a smile. At the end of the day my feet hurt, my padded shorts had chaffed my inner thighs and I had a rash under my small breasts. But I made as much as the brunette who spent her time laughing and couldn’t make change.
My supervisor applauded.
Today the light bill, tomorrow VISA.

fabulososunshine
Private E-1

Postby fabulososunshine » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:12 am

When I was laid off, I felt that now is the time to discover my passion. My passion was writing and crime scene investigations. I have always like to write stories since I was a teenager. It gave me a chance to dream. I started writing and I also was applying for jobs as well. My first day in my new career as a crime scene investigator and become a writer part time. I woke up exited about starting my new job and I said today is the beginning of my life changing beyond my wildest dreams.
I walked in the police building surrounded by so many officers and I thought thank you for putting me with all these fine men. My supervisor was waiting for me so he could take me to my new office. I was ready to get started and to my surprise a call came in needing a crime scene investigator for an early morning homicide. My supervisor that let’s go we have crimes to solve. It was raining and cold and I said to Mr. Johnson, why would someone want to commit a crime in this weather. He started laughing and said I do not know. We arrived on the scene and there were lights flashing, investigators talking to the witnesses, and police officer making sure the scene is secure. I was observing, gathering evidence, taking photos, and learning how to collect fingerprints. While processing the scene I found a hair fiber. Can you believe on my first day I found some evidence that could help solve this case? My day was excellent and in the end the hair fiber I collected solved the case. What a rush, my first day was exiting, fun, and full of mystery. Being laid off became my greatest benefit.

dariyon2k1
Private E-1

Postby dariyon2k1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:53 am

I'd spent my entire adult life behind the scene, getting coffee and doing my best not to piss off the big man in charge. After twelve years of being someones secretary I was asked to leave. It hurt at first, but pretty soon I found myself doing what I loved; I was writing again. It was something that I dreamed of and I finally got my big break when Fab Five magazine was looking for a new writer to join the team. I was nervous at first, imagine that. I was sitting at my desk completing all of the entry-level assignments. I did my best to avoid direct eye contact with the others, and pretended not to hear the latest gossip. It was very stressed until after the boss took a look at my first piece with a huge smile on her face. "You nailed it." I was jumping up and down on the inside, but maintained my composure. "Thank You" I replied. I returned to my desk with grattitude and I knew that this was it, the job of my dreams.

its a bit witty
Private E-1

Postby its a bit witty » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:21 pm

As I packed my things, tears streamed down my reddened face. I wasn’t angry. I wasn’t even that sad. I was just shocked that all the news reports I watched about layoffs, well now I was part of the news story. As word circulated around the office that I was one of the sacrificial lambs, former co-workers came to say their goodbyes. Ironically I think their sadness was more for themselves and the unknown future they faced at the company. At least I knew my status.

I fielded questions about a possible return home to my parents house. I endured endless suggestions from family and friends on where to find the next dull job. But then I received some correspondence that was neither expected nor ordinary. The New York Yankees wanted me. Me! Me? I was to report to the spanking new stadium for an interview next week. Barely cognizant of my actions I purchased a ticket to head to my home state. The interview went smoothly as my preparation consisted of trolling the internet for tricky questions one may encounter in situations like these. Where do I see myself in five years? Why am I the right candidate for the position? Tell us about a time when you provided good customer service. Before I knew it I was walking to the human resources department to sign paperwork, stealing a few glances down hallways and into meeting rooms hoping for a glimpse of Yankees royalty. I soaked in the experience and thought back to my many visits to the park as a visitor. Now it was to be my office. I’d park in employee parking. Maybe I’d see Cashman in the elevator. I could bring a bag lunch and sit near a Steinbrenner in the cafeteria. Well maybe not that last fantasy, unless they’re frugal folks. Judging by the payroll, signs point to no.

The morning of my first day I laid out my outfit, along with the required accessories. I opted to drive in as opposed to the train with hopes I’d be asked to work some extra innings. My supplies await me as I accustom myself to my work area. I walk through a set of double doors to attend my first meeting as an employee of the New York Yankees. I’m nervous but I’ve been to large assemblies before. No sweat. It’s a great day for baseball. As I emerge from the indoors I announce my presence, “Peanuts here, Peanuts!!”

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges