Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
over.the.top
Private E-1

RE: Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

Postby over.the.top » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:53 am

This sounds fun. :D.
Character: Ali
Playlist:
1. Your Guardian Angel- Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
2. Fix You- Coldplay
3. Help- Beatles
4. Stand My Ground- Within Temptation
5. Carnival Is Over- Dead Can Dance
6. Dark Wings- Within Temptation
7. You Found Me- The Fray
8. Going Under- Evanescence
9. Do You Remember- Summer Obsession
10. Twist in my Story- Secondhand Serenade

FightinIrishRaven
Private E-1

Re: Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

Postby FightinIrishRaven » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Oh! Oh! Oh! This looks like a lot of fun, so I'm going to give it a go...

This character is from a book I've been working on for a while, but have never actually finished... Blythe Noctus is this seventeen-year old boy who is helplessly attracted to a fifteen-year old girl named Serri. (They're shape-shifters, hence the strange names. Blythe turns into a panther, and Serri a cheetah). His only problem: the only way he can get her attention is by annoying her to death. Serri thinks he's doing it just to bug her, and hates him with a passion. Blythe doesn't know what to do...

One day, Serri goes through his room and finds an iPod, a strange little contraption for their world. She turns it on and goes to Most Played... this is what she finds...

1) Vulnerable - Secondhand Serenade
2) Miracle - Paramore
3) Speed of Sound - Coldplay
4) Hero - Enrique Iglesias
5) Your Guardian Angel - Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
6) Our Eyes - Teddy Geiger
7) I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
8) Rush - Aly and AJ
9) This Is Your Life - Switchfoot
10) Renegade - Styx

Huh. Looks like Blythe isn't the hard, annoying guy she thought he was after all. He sure does listen to a lot of slow songs that revolve around some kind of love or pain... Serri becomes exceedingly confused. What is she supposed to do now?

JohnDoc1
Private E-1

Postby JohnDoc1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Since he was 17, James Jansen has been known as the super hero X-Raytor (three guesses as to what his super power is). After his first team was disbanded by the federal government and his penchant for self-destruction landed him in a maximum security prison, James was given the opportunity to head a new, federally-funded super hero team, The Sentinels. Despite this being an incredible second chance, it also comes with a good number of perks. Having his cell phone bill paid for, that was nice. He still wasn't really sure what to do with the Kindle he'd just received, but he figured someone would let him know soon enough (as of this point, the only thing James was absolutely sure of was that you couldn't watch smutty spam on it... so there was that). And the car, of course. He'd never really imagined he would have any sort of job which would provide him with a company car. Much less, the kind of job which pretty much just required that he wear tights and do mildly suicidal things day in and day out.

Regardless. It was a sleek, black RAV-4, with a few modifications he was relatively sure weren't in the regular model (the auto-driver, for instance). There was one mystery which had, unfortunately, plagued him all week. And that was: What the hell did AUX mean?

Eventually he'd swallowed his pride and just asked someone (but not someone he thought would call him an idiot; he was wrong), and was delighted to discover that, oh, *this* was how other people played their iPods from the car speakers. And so, on a rather gray Wednesday morning, he began his morning commute by plugging in his iPod (also sleek, new, and black) and pressing play.

1. "Superhero," Jane's Addiction
2. "Jimmy Olsen's Blues," Spin Doctors
3. "X Ray Eyes," Guster
4. "Sister Golden Hair," America
5. "100 Years," Five for Fighting
6. "My Stupid Mouth," John Mayer
7. "Save Me," Remy Zero
8. "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived,” Wheezer
9. "Open Your Eyes," Snow Patrol
10. "What's My Age Again," blink 182

Rolling up to the traffic light at 39th and Moss, a thought flitted through his mind. It was less a fully formed idea than the sense of one: the weight of everything he’d left behind, and the weightless terror and elation of whatever might lie ahead But then the light changed and, somewhat relieved, he let the thought slide from his mind.

“Hm,” he mumbled, reaching for the iPod, “I thought I had some Lady GaGa on here somewhere…”

::Note: Even though a lot of the titles are wonderful all on their own, the lyrics for each song work even better ? ::

JohnDoc1
Private E-1

Postby JohnDoc1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Since he was 17, James Jansen has been known as the super hero X-Raytor (three guesses as to what his super power is). After his first team was disbanded by the federal government and his penchant for self-destruction landed him in a maximum security prison, James was given the opportunity to head a new, federally-funded super hero team, The Sentinels. Despite this being an incredible second chance, it also comes with a good number of perks. Having his cell phone bill paid for, that was nice. He still wasn't really sure what to do with the Kindle he'd just received, but he figured someone would let him know soon enough (as of this point, the only thing James was absolutely sure of was that you couldn't watch smutty spam on it... so there was that). And the car, of course. He'd never really imagined he would have any sort of job which would provide him with a company car. Much less, the kind of job which pretty much just required that he wear tights and do mildly suicidal things day in and day out.

Regardless. It was a sleek, black RAV-4, with a few modifications he was relatively sure weren't in the regular model (the auto-driver, for instance). There was one mystery which had, unfortunately, plagued him all week. And that was: What the hell did AUX mean?

Eventually he'd swallowed his pride and just asked someone (but not someone he thought would call him an idiot; he was wrong), and was delighted to discover that, oh, *this* was how other people played their iPods from the car speakers. And so, on a rather gray Wednesday morning, he began his morning commute by plugging in his iPod (also sleek, new, and black) and pressing play.

1. "Superhero," Jane's Addiction
2. "Jimmy Olsen's Blues," Spin Doctors
3. "X Ray Eyes," Guster
4. "Sister Golden Hair," America
5. "100 Years," Five for Fighting
6. "My Stupid Mouth," John Mayer
7. "Save Me," Remy Zero
8. "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived,” Wheezer
9. "Open Your Eyes," Snow Patrol
10. "What's My Age Again," blink 182

Rolling up to the traffic light at 39th and Moss, a thought flitted through his mind. It was less a fully formed idea than the sense of one: the weight of everything he’d left behind, and the weightless terror and elation of whatever might lie ahead But then the light changed and, somewhat relieved, he let the thought slide from his mind.

“Hm,” he mumbled, reaching for the iPod, “I thought I had some Lady GaGa on here somewhere…”

::Note: Even though a lot of the titles are wonderful all on their own, the lyrics for each song work even better ? ::

SuperSmooth88
Private E-1

Postby SuperSmooth88 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:50 am

Well, my sister and I are working on a novel and one of the main characters is Max Powers. He is a British entrepreneur living in San Francisco. He took over his father's company after he graduated from college. He is best freinds with Rocco Gambini (the other main character) and he's kinda-sorta going out with Ramani Williams (a girl he met after he moved back to England due to extenuating circumstances). He is polite, chivalrous, a romantic, and the complete opposite of Rocco (yet they manage to be friends). I think he would like old '60s, and '70s music and probably rock. His playlist would probably look something like:

1. Pleasant Valley Sunday- The Monkees
2. Yesterday- The Beatles
3. Listen to the Music- Doobie Brothers
4. Secret- Maroon 5
5. The '59 Sound- The Gaslight Anthem
6. Keep Your Head- The Ting Tings
7. Seven Days a Week- The Sounds
8. California Dreamin'- The Mamas and the Papas
9. Honkey Tonk Women- The Rolling Stones
10. Time of the Season- The Zombies

SuperSmooth88
Private E-1

Postby SuperSmooth88 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:50 am

Well, my sister and I are working on a novel and one of the main characters is Max Powers. He is a British entrepreneur living in San Francisco. He took over his father's company after he graduated from college. He is best freinds with Rocco Gambini (the other main character) and he's kinda-sorta going out with Ramani Williams (a girl he met after he moved back to England due to extenuating circumstances). He is polite, chivalrous, a romantic, and the complete opposite of Rocco (yet they manage to be friends). I think he would like old '60s, and '70s music and probably rock. His playlist would probably look something like:

1. Pleasant Valley Sunday- The Monkees
2. Yesterday- The Beatles
3. Listen to the Music- Doobie Brothers
4. Secret- Maroon 5
5. The '59 Sound- The Gaslight Anthem
6. Keep Your Head- The Ting Tings
7. Seven Days a Week- The Sounds
8. California Dreamin'- The Mamas and the Papas
9. Honkey Tonk Women- The Rolling Stones
10. Time of the Season- The Zombies

DoomedToPenNames
Private E-1

Postby DoomedToPenNames » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:28 am

For this exercise, I will use one of the antagonists of a trilogy that I am writing, by the name of Anthony Valar. He is a very complex character, due to a traumatic experience in his youth, the desire to have power, and the willingness he has to go as far as murdering members of his family in order to achieve his goals. His Top Ten songs--if I-Pods existed in the world in which he lives--would be as follows:

1. Angry Young Man -- Billy Joel (Because he was an angry young man in his youth)
2. Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen (Because he feels condemned for what he does)
3. Eye of the Tiger -- Survivor (Because he feels that he is trying to survive)
4. The End of the World as We Know It -- REM (Because he's perfectly okay with the world ending)
5. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger -- Daft Punk (Because he's spent his life trying to improve himself)
6. The World -- Nightmare (Because he is really, really pessimistic)
7. Alumina -- Nightmare (It just describes him perfectly)
8. Today For U -- From the musical RENT (Okay, it doesn't fit perfectly... but Anthony is the kind of guy who would enjoy a song about killing a dog for $1000!)
9. Eternal Silence -- Phantasmagoria (Because he misses his sister, who died when he was 17)
10. O Fortuna -- Carl Orff; from Carmina Burana (This is just such a great piece of music, and again, it fits him absolutely perfectly)

Well, that was fun. I think I'll do this again for another character.

DoomedToPenNames
Private E-1

Postby DoomedToPenNames » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:43 am

Another one, just because this is so much fun. This time I will write a playlist for Marie Dusk, an assassin known by many as "The Assassin of the Dusk."

1. Big Shot -- Billy Joel
2. Blackbird -- The Beatles
3. How Far We've Come -- Matchbox Twenty
4. Epiphany -- From the musical Sweeney Todd
5. Hide and Seek -- Imogen Heap
6. Unwell -- Matchbox Twenty
7. Resublimity -- Kotoko
8. Eclipse of Time -- Nobu Uematsu; from Lost Odyssey
9. Hotel California -- The Eagles
10. Eye of the Tiger -- Survivor

Dhayeand Knyhte
Private E-1

RE: Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

Postby Dhayeand Knyhte » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:51 pm

hmmmmmm...... my character is a young boy named Dhaye. He's living in a town where EVERYTHING is unusually preppy, and Dhaye hates preps with a passion.
1. I Hate Everything About You- Three Days Grace
2. Shut Up- Simple Plan
3. Grow Up- Simple Plan
4. Welcome To My Life- Simple Plan
5. Pain- Three Days Grace
6. Animal I have Become- Three Days Grace
7. Just Like You- Three Days Grace
8. Break- Three Days Grace
9. Let You Down- Three Days Grace
10. It Was You- 12 Stones
WELL. THAT WAS INTERESTING.... This guy REALLY doesn't have many songs that fit him. (hint-hint I just don't listen to bands I don't really know. That's why there's a repitition of the same bands . :) )

JDDEVEREUX
Private E-1

Postby JDDEVEREUX » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm new to the boards here, but I'll give it a shot for a character in my unfinished novel.

Dresden is a wise fourteen year old being pursued by her totalitarian/utopian government.

1. For No One - The Beatles
2. Speeding Cars - Imogen Heap
3. Runaway - Cartel
4. History - Tenacious D
5. Through With You - Maroon 5
6. Rumored Nights - The Academy Is . . .
7. Sick Little Games - All Time Low
8. The Saltwater Room - Owl City
9. Biscuts and Groovy - Dr. Manhattan
10. We Started This Op'ra S**t - REPO! The Genetic Opera soundtrack (Various artists)

I think this sums her up pretty well. It contains a few songs from the 'soundtrack' I have going on my iTunes -- just to listen to while I evaluate a specific chapter.

(Edited because my brain doesn't register the number four.)

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges