Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Cardboard Tube Knigh
Private E-1

Re: Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

Postby Cardboard Tube Knigh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:17 am

499 words, sorry I kind of wrote this in a rush and I just had the idea in my mind. The character is from a series of stories, she is pretty much in all of them and she's a pretty fun character to write. I thought she fit this ideal kind of...

My iPOD playlist is a bit of a mixed bag, I’d say that it pretty accurately represents me. But I don’t think that it represents the “me” that people think they know. After all, what would you expect the Angel of Death to have on her playlist?

The first thing that there is to know about me, I have a long standing love affair with that hollow sound that acoustic guitars make. There’s something downright romantic about the rubbing of fingers as they race to the next cord. Dashboard Confessional’s acoustic version of “Hands Down” has always rung true for me in that sense. If that doesn’t quench my thirst, then I’ve got plenty of Jack Johnson.

Maybe in guessing what my playlist would have, one would forget that I was a little girl first. Sitting on her daddy’s list listening to those old singers and standards; Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra—these are the men that I first learned about love from. I carry their music everywhere because of this. Of course it was that immature little girl love, but love none the less.

When I was a little older, my sister—who we later found out was the Angel of Music—would sing Jason Maraz songs to try and fine tune her voice. Hearing him now through those little white headphones reminds me of sitting on my bed and hearing her muffled tones through the walls.

My tastes don’t lie with the likes of softer songs alone; oddly enough bands Killswitch Engaged and Slayer co-exist with bands like Less Than Jake and Death Cab. I’d like to think that there’s something surprising to be learned from just scrolling over the cover-flow of albums in here. One might claim it to be sacrilege for a Seraph to listen to Bad Religion and Slipknot, but I think there’s a difference between “personal taste” and “personal beliefs”. Sometimes the two are the selfsame, true. But there’s also no reason they have to be.

There is one song that any God fearing creature with a touch of divinity in them has to have on them at all times: “Ode to Joy”

Despite my status and outward demeanor, the screaming teenage girl inside of me simply salivates at the sound of Justin Timberlake. It’s scary, the things that voice can do to me. Oh! And there’s nothing better suited to cheer me up than that all OKGO song “Get Over It”. Music has a strange power, perhaps stronger than we give it credit for too. It can heal; it can dredge up the memories that line the floors of our mind.

Really I don’t see any shame in it, I’m only half-Human and I can tell you that the portions of my soul that belong to my Lilithian heritage are swayed by what most immortals would regard as something trivial and temporary. Our emotions, after all, are temporary things. But music’s effect on them can last a very significant time.

faydiablo
Private E-1

Postby faydiablo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:42 pm

I growled something inaudible at Crater, but that was okay. It was probably best he didn't hear any more of my comments, because as freaked out as I was, with the whole, you know, finding out I was the cursed queen of a bunch of star spirits thing was kind of starting to get me.

Just a little, you know. Not a lot.

Ignoring him, I dug in my pocket for my cheap Mp3 player, pulling the battered little thing out and switching it on. I grinned as the little screen lit up with the names of my favorite songs- You're Gonna Go Far, Kid, by the Offspring, Sympathy for the Devil, by the Rolling Stones, When The Levee Breaks, by Led Zeppelin, Rebel Yell, by Billy Idol, Original Prankster, by the Offspring, Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland), by the Who, Fairies Wear Boots, by Black Sabbath, Blind Man, by Black Stone Cherry, and The Anthem by Good Charlotte.

Wait, no- hold that thought.
I wrinkled my nose as I hit the down button, then glared at the tiny print reading Stars. The song by Switchfoot.

I mentally cursed myself- I remembered adding this because of how true it had seemed at that time- talking about how looking at the stars made me whole or something like that.

Crap.

faydiablo
Private E-1

Postby faydiablo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:42 pm

I growled something inaudible at Crater, but that was okay. It was probably best he didn't hear any more of my comments, because as freaked out as I was, with the whole, you know, finding out I was the cursed queen of a bunch of star spirits thing was kind of starting to get me.

Just a little, you know. Not a lot.

Ignoring him, I dug in my pocket for my cheap Mp3 player, pulling the battered little thing out and switching it on. I grinned as the little screen lit up with the names of my favorite songs- You're Gonna Go Far, Kid, by the Offspring, Sympathy for the Devil, by the Rolling Stones, When The Levee Breaks, by Led Zeppelin, Rebel Yell, by Billy Idol, Original Prankster, by the Offspring, Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland), by the Who, Fairies Wear Boots, by Black Sabbath, Blind Man, by Black Stone Cherry, and The Anthem by Good Charlotte.

Wait, no- hold that thought.
I wrinkled my nose as I hit the down button, then glared at the tiny print reading Stars. The song by Switchfoot.

I mentally cursed myself- I remembered adding this because of how true it had seemed at that time- talking about how looking at the stars made me whole or something like that.

Crap.

heathermoreland
Private First Class

RE: Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

Postby heathermoreland » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:16 am

Dalir's Ipod List:

1. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend-Marilyn Monroe
2. Theme song from Three's Company
3. Adia-Sarah Mclachlan
4. Arms Wide Open-Creed
5. Tomorrow-from Annie musical
6. Every Rose Has It's Thorn-Poison
7. Ray of Light-Madonna
8. Ave Maria
9. Theme song from Boosom Buddies
10. Arash-Arash

heathermoreland
Private First Class

Postby heathermoreland » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:16 am

Dalir's Ipod List:

1. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend-Marilyn Monroe
2. Theme song from Three's Company
3. Adia-Sarah Mclachlan
4. Arms Wide Open-Creed
5. Tomorrow-from Annie musical
6. Every Rose Has It's Thorn-Poison
7. Ray of Light-Madonna
8. Ave Maria
9. Theme song from Boosom Buddies
10. Arash-Arash

searching_for_gemini
Private E-1

Postby searching_for_gemini » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Hmm. That's funny, because my character is living during the early 1900s and I'm pretty sure they didn't have ipods back then. ;) Anyway, here's a list of the songs I think fit her:

1) Moonlight Sonata--Beethoven
2) The Scientist--Coldplay
3) Take this Town--O.A.R.
4) Yesterday--The Beatles
5) 9:00 in the afternoon--Panic! At the Disco
6) Dead and Gone Piano Cover--David Sides
7) Love, Save the Empty--Erin McCarley
8) The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face--Roberta Flack
9) Thank You For the Music--ABBA
10) Violet Hill--Coldplay

Which, now that I think about it, is a completely random mosh pit of songs, but whatever. It works for me. =

backlit fiction
Private E-1

Postby backlit fiction » Wed May 20, 2009 3:42 pm

My character Frankie is from an unfinished story of mine. When I stole his ipod from the pocket of his hoodie, I found that these ten songs describe him best:

Mad World-Gary Jules
One Armed Scissor-At the Drive-In
Subtle Body-These Arms Are Snakes
Never Meant to Break Your Heart-Underoath
Moonlight Sonata-Beethoven
Crimewave-Crystal Castles
Needle in the Hay-Elliot Smith
Highway of Endless Dreams-M83
Since I Fell for You-Nina Simone
Where Is My Mind?-the Pixies

backlit fiction
Private E-1

Postby backlit fiction » Wed May 20, 2009 3:42 pm

My character Frankie is from an unfinished story of mine. When I stole his ipod from the pocket of his hoodie, I found that these ten songs describe him best:

Mad World-Gary Jules
One Armed Scissor-At the Drive-In
Subtle Body-These Arms Are Snakes
Never Meant to Break Your Heart-Underoath
Moonlight Sonata-Beethoven
Crimewave-Crystal Castles
Needle in the Hay-Elliot Smith
Highway of Endless Dreams-M83
Since I Fell for You-Nina Simone
Where Is My Mind?-the Pixies

SkulleeRoze
Private E-1

Postby SkulleeRoze » Sat May 30, 2009 1:33 pm

My Character, is from a Project I'm currently working on. Zora whom has been to hell and back, before she was ever a cop. She's reconnected with her best friend, and is Partnered with him on the job, detectives in the homicide devision. Old feelings are rekindled, and hijinks insue... It had been years since the two had seen eachother, he examines her ipod, while she's in the bathroom. This is what he finds:

1. Something that I already know -Backstreet Boys
2. Helpless when she smiles - Backstreet Boys
3. S.O.S. - Sting and the Police
4. Love and Marriage - Frank Sinatra
5. Boulevard of Broken Dreams- Green Day
6. Counting Bodies like Sheep... - A Perfect Circle
7. Diefy - Disturbed
8. All these Lives - Daughtry
9. Hemorage - Fuel
10. Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi

She's very conflicted. Deep inside her mind she swims in a turbulent swell of emotion from all the torture she's endured past and present... and yet, there is the glimpse of hope with the sinatra and bsb...

firestarx3
Private E-1

Postby firestarx3 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:17 pm

My character is Claire Williams from my unfinished book. She is a girl who is misunderstood so I thought these songs were perfect. They probally would be on her ipod because they are as different as she is.

I kissed a Girl by Katy Perry
I must be Emo by Hollywood Undead
Meet Virginia by Train
Skater Boy by Avril Lavigne
Hey Jude by The Beatles
Animals by Nickelback
A Little Piece of Heaven by Avenged Sevenfold
Second Chance by Shinedown
All American Girl by Carrie Underwood
Love Story by Taylor Swift

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges